sysolid2k

What do you think about Sprint belonging in Halo 5?

What do you think about sprint in Halo 5?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like sprint removed from Halo 5? If so, reasons explained under.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Sprint is disliked in the Halo community because it gives people a chance to escape

• Yes
    • No

As the title says, and a poll to go with it. Now from reading all the comments for thoughts about Halo 5 Beta and if sprint was the real reason for HR and H4 failing. This has inspired me to make a thread to see just how everyone in the Halo community hates what 343i is doing to the Halo franchise. I know I am not in a position to say anything since I'm not known in the community, I am not pro, I doubt anyone likes me in the community as well, but that is alright.

To get to the question that follows the poll. I do see that Sprint has been a major topic since Halo Reach and H4. Many people want it removed and each and every person has their own reasons and opinions for why you want it removed. Now in hopes that possibly a 343i developer will come across this thread or someone who can reach out to 343i to just simply look at this poll and reconsider sprint for Halo 5. That would be all I could ask. I can tell the community hates sprint and it is obvious, but has 343i ever gave us a valid reason why sprint has stayed in the game after Bungie released Halo Reach? I do not believe so, and for this all i am asking from this Halo community to vote in hopes that 343i will see this thread and explain why sprint must stay in Halo 5. We all saw Halo 4 die with sprint in it and even with reach; so all I am asking now is that you take a few minutes to read over this and vote and give a valid reason why sprint must go and maybe 343i will reconsider sprint in Halo 5. Thank You.

Reasons why 343i is keeping sprint in the game:

1. Sprint needs to stay because the game is evolving and needs sprint 

- to counter this question. Answer: You saw Halo 4 die out with sprint as people left to be part of the COD community or other games. Is this what you really want 343?

2. We like sprint and it makes the game more fast paced

- to counter this question. Answer: It seems to me that the community does not like sprint and many people are unhappy with this change. Many people have given valid reason why sprint is breaking Halo, so why must you keep it when Halo was doing great without sprint? How fast paced a game is does not make it better, even in competitive play. People play the game because they enjoy it, not because of how fast paced it is.

The only personal message to 343i would be that, Sprint does not seem to be accepted. As a player stand point I see this community dying and going to other games. Is this what you truly want? Because at the end of the day, it isn't the developers who make the reputation of a game. It is the people who create what makes the game good and want more and more people who have never played it want to play it. That is how a community grows and makes a person go out of their way to buy an Xbox just to play a game. I bought and Xbox one to ONLY play Halo, and with Halo 5 beta being released and seeing the community in disappointment, it makes me sad, but please make the right choice to keep Halo alive. Reconsider what the community likes and dislikes, because Halo is dying and we are still not back. Have a nice day 343i.

Updated Edit: so if you have been following this thread i would imagine that you have read my failed solution to make separate playlists one without sprint. It seems to me that it would be true, this would split up the community but so far everyone has voted that sprint should not belong in the game. Maybe I am not asking this question at a right stand point in this community. I will start a new poll with the better worded question. I don't look at this thread by the hour so if i do not keep up instantly I am doing my own things.

To understand why sprint is the real problem here, is that the main reason why people do not like it because players are constantly running away surviving because of sprint. Now at a different stand point, does the community really think that sprint is broken? I look at myself when i play Halo 4 and I also will admit to it. I use sprint to escape and get to power positions on the map, and so does everyone else. Is sprint truly the reason that is breaking Halo? Or is it that the community or the vast majority of the people are saying sprint should not belong in the game because it is change, and as humans we do not accept change right away. Could this be the true reason and that maybe just POSSIBLY that 1% or even less. That 1% would be that sprint is not the reason why the game is broken and we just don't want things to change.

Give me some thought on this, I really do appreciate all of the comments and votes so far and at this point I do know the title should be named differently, i hope you can all forgive me for that. I did not make this thread to have an argument over anything. This was made so there could be a balance between the halo community and 343i since i have been hearing a lot of bad feedback on Halo 5's new abilities and sprint was one of the die hard lasting abilities that the community does not like. We are all trying our best to put our words out and that's as much as we can do for now. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

They understand that the old Halo community don´t like sprint. Trust me, they get it. But their conclusion is that they can´t build a future multi billion dollar franchise with "old stuff" and they are trying to find a new formula for the game that they hope will attract more gamers. And in that formula they have tried to make "movement skill" the new king with sprint, thruster, clamber and ground pound. And honestly, I have seen a lot of awesome stuff with it and as a social gaming experience I think it will actually succeed. Many will love it and it take more skills then all the shit that was going on in Halo 4. From a competitive viewpoint I don´t know...Would love to see some actual objective gameplay with two top teams. 

It´s just that they call it Halo that offend some of us. 

I am totally fine with the new implements, although could you agree that they could have a playlist where it involves what the community calls Halo, Competitive play; where there is no sprint, BR start like the original Halos? I saw this during Advanced Warfare where there was no exo suit and classic play. Would you agree that 343i should at least satisfy both sides then? I believe this would be the best approach from your reasoning.

Any plans to get a poll up on Reddit and Waypoint as well? 

For some odd reason my waypoint is too glitchy and won't log me in ever. I may try reddit, but hey feel free to take my words and spread it out too, if there's a way to make the game look cool to attract new players and satisfy the community, that's my aim. I don't need the credit I just want 343i and the Halo community to actually communicate with each other since we have seen many games go down the drain because the developers kept trying to evolve a game till it died.

They understand that the old Halo community don´t like sprint. 

This is what I also feel they want the game to be like Halo at it's best but they got a console to sell

If some Casual/HardCore/Nintendo/Sony/Pc dude sees Halo in the same state it had been for the last 10 years do you guys think a sprintless Triple A First person Shooter title would appeal to them?

343 is in a really difficult situation in pleasing both Fans and Non-Fans to the game.

What do I mean by Hardcore is someone that plays a shitload of games....

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is what I also feel they want the game to be like Halo at it's best but they got a console to sell

If some Casual/HardCore/Nintendo/Sony/Pc dude sees Halo in the same state it had been for the last 10 years do you guys think a sprintless Triple A First person Shooter title would appeal to them?

343 is in a really difficult situation in pleasing both Fans and Non-Fans to the game.

What do I mean by Hardcore is someone that plays a shitload of games....

What if they made TWO kinds of playlists? I mentioned this as a part of my solution as I updated the thread. They could have a sprintless classic/competitive game and a new one of what they created. Don't you think that could satisfy the community and 343i and also still attract non-fans of the game? Advanced Warfare had did that where there was the exo suit playlist and a classic, no exo suit. It looks like it could be a possible solution to Halo 5 343i could implement.

What if they made TWO kinds of playlists? I mentioned this as a part of my solution as I updated the thread. They could have a sprintless classic/competitive game and a new one of what they created. Don't you think that could satisfy the community and 343i and also still attract non-fans of the game? Advanced Warfare had did that where there was the exo suit playlist and a classic, no exo suit. It looks like it could be a possible solution to Halo 5 343i could implement.

This will only split the community up even further...
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The problem is that all the maps are built in detail for the spartans new abilities so just turning almost everything of and call it competitive will probably make the gameplay dull and worthless to watch for a public who have adjusted to faster gameplay. Of course they can have a competitive playlist without radar and other weapon spawns and of course BR start but to make the competitive playlist to different than the normal gameplay is not a very good idea imho.

The problem is that all the maps are built in detail for the spartans new abilities so just turning almost everything of and call it competitive will probably make the gameplay dull and worthless to watch for a public who have adjusted to faster gameplay. Of course they can have a competitive playlist without radar and other weapon spawns and of course BR start but to make the competitive playlist to different than the normal gameplay is not a very good idea imho.

I haven't played Halo 5 yet, but I do see your point. Wouldn't this have to imply more nerfs to things such as sprint? Also to be honest Unlimited sprint is a bit over powered too. what would be a solution as of keeping the way the current mechanics are and still involve sprint? Since ultimately I would say the community wants sprint fixed first, would you agree? As i said earlier as well i have not played Halo 5 beta yet either, but 343i is at least in a better direction than halo 4 since at least now there's no shield regen during sprint. It seems to me that even then it is still a bit too much of a way as a get out of jail free card from watching people like ninja stream Halo 5 Beta.

My ideal halo doesnt have  sprint or abilities. But they maps are designed to include both now. 

You can see some jumps are created so you use clamber, there is alot of them. They would have to go back and lower all the heights so they could be reachable with a crouch jump, which could be alot of work on their part. 

Look at the map "truth" its a huge midship. Imagine that without sprint. It would be like walking around sandtrap. If sprint goes they need to up the movement speed. 

I don't like giant, oddly shaped maps built around people sprinting/thrusting/clambering over everything because as soon as you stop doing that and actually try to shoot someone the map doesn't fit your character anymore and you're extremely slow with the atrocious base movement speed. So its back to sprint on/off/on/off the entire game like you're shifting gears manually in rush hour traffic. It isn't smooth and it doesn't play like Halo whatsoever. So why would I want to play it if I want Halo? I wouldn't. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sprint absolutely doesn't belong in Halo. I don't get why 343 doesn't just increase the base movement speed by 10-25%. 343 should have one week with sprint and one week without sprint and a higher base speed and the community should be able to vote for what they liked better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i really don´t care about clamber... but thrust needs nerf.. or just take it out, we wont get rid of sprint.. so why bother barking up on that tree once again..(not saying that i like it... far from liking sprint)

Im enjoying this game, and love that there is ranking system and spectator mode.. 

Still, its not halo.. but it is a fun game/beta 

When the public Beta comes out everyone should post video's of themselves or others doing and getting away with stupid shit using Sprint and tweet it to 343. Polls and bitching on forums obviously isn't working.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That title is quite terrible. It's a poll pro/con sprint. If you want more people to vote and this is supposed to be the ultimate "What do you think about Sprint"-thread you should have included that info into the title. 

Why do people on here constantly claim that "the community doesn't want/like Sprint"? Do you not understand the logistics behind the actual scope of the "community"? The only sub-section that is vehemently against sprint is us, and guess what? We are grossly outnumbered.  Get a grip of reality: the vast majority of players don't give a crap about competitive Halo or perfect competitive balance within gameplay.  They don't care about sprint breaking maps or promoting stupid gameplay.  The general playlists (Team Slayer, etc, etc) have always been the most populated no matter which Halo game you want to bring up...and guess what? Those playlists were always filled with casual kids, ie: the kids that are indifferent at best about Sprint, and/or actively support it.  You think EliteSniper245 who runs around the map with an AR cares about the competitive merits of Sprint? Don't be naive.

Its not being removed.  There is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes of production for a AAA game, ie: market testing, user analytics, etc.  The fact that Sprint is still here should tell you that there is demand for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 12

Sprint acts as a get out of jail free card and slows down the pace of the game. While implementation of a mechanic to knock players out of sprint upon taking damage during use would serve as an effective way to make sprint not as forgiving of mistakes, the better option to speed up gameplay would be the entire removal of sprint.

Why do people on here constantly claim that "the community doesn't want/like Sprint"? Do you not understand the logistics behind the actual scope of the "community"? The only sub-section that is vehemently against sprint is us, and guess what? We are grossly outnumbered.  Get a grip of reality: the vast majority of players don't give a crap about competitive Halo or perfect competitive balance within gameplay.  They don't care about sprint breaking maps or promoting stupid gameplay.  The general playlists (Team Slayer, etc, etc) have always been the most populated no matter which Halo game you want to bring up...and guess what? Those playlists were always filled with casual kids, ie: the kids that are indifferent at best about Sprint, and/or actively support it.  You think EliteSniper245 who runs around the map with an AR cares about the competitive merits of Sprint? Don't be naive.

Its not being removed.  There is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes of production for a AAA game, ie: market testing, user analytics, etc.  The fact that Sprint is still here should tell you that there is demand for it.

I don't think it's just the "1%" that want no sprint. Sure, we might be the "1%" on here who want a really competitive game with CE spawn system, large aiming skill gap, nading weapons/powerups etc. but I think a lot of casual gamers are growing tired of the same cookie cutter games with sprint in. That's why I think Halo used to be popular, because it was something unique and different from the norm. If you want to play a game with Sprint in, you'll most likely play CoD. If you don;t, well there aren't many games nowadays without it. 

No one has numbers for these claims, but I'm sure there a whole bunch of people who'd like to play a game without Sprint. H5 has added many things which keep the gameplay "fresh" and cater to those short attention span casuals who need new, shiny toys to play with but sprint just isn't needed in H5. It seems like it's just being thrown in there because apparently that's the "norm" now. Smh.

Sosolid2k lol. That wast he guy who used to max on Runescape. 

But on topic, I want sprint removed because it seems pointless I actually like the other abilities. thruster could become some clutch shit. Sprint though isn't skillful. It is just tacked on for the CoD community. 

I really like sprint, but I'll still play Halo whether it's in or not, so if the majority says it doesn't belong then I think it's best to just take it out.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

sprint isn't cutting it. my main reason I dislike it is because of the placement sprint is located on bumper jumper need to buy a scuff to adapt in Halo 5 I guess. I would much rather have a faster movement speed.

I would like Sprint removed because more often than not it is used as a defensive ability to escape. I've had countless people run away because I get the first shot on them.

Also, the maps don't really require you to use Sprint. If the base speed of the player is increased a slight bit, there would be no need for it in most areas of the maps. Maybe more cover would have to be placed in some areas, but people could also defend themselves at all times.