sysolid2k

What do you think about Sprint belonging in Halo 5?

What do you think about sprint in Halo 5?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like sprint removed from Halo 5? If so, reasons explained under.

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Sprint is disliked in the Halo community because it gives people a chance to escape

• Yes
    • No

Aim better, use call outs, and listen call outs. There no longer is sprint a get out of jail free card

Use map geometry to force less sprinting

No one forces you to Sprint, and you can punish sprinters more affectively. You can drop their shield before they can shot back, and they're dead if you're team shot is on fire before they can shoot back.

You just told me the equivalent of "play better," in regards to a list of problems which don't even stem from anyone's ability to kill the target. It's not about skill, it's about inherent problems between the mechanic and the design of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You just told me the equivalent of "play better," in regards to a list of problems which don't even stem from anyone's ability to kill the target. It's not about skill, it's about inherent problems between the mechanic and the design of the game.

Sprinting has enough of punishments to negate the advantage of slightly faster movements. You can't snap onto target as effectively, you're side to side movement is gone, your turning movement is heavily nerfed. Not only that, but like I pointed out, if some one shoots you while you're sprinting you mays well just continue sprinting and pray you get away (Which a simple call out snuffs out that prayer). And in H4 and H5 you're slowed down, and h5 your shield dont recharge! The list goes on, people are bitching about a non issue it speeds up gameplay and allows for different rushes

• Downvote (-1) 5

Sprinting has enough of punishments to negate the advantage of slightly faster movements. You can't snap onto target as effectively, you're side to side movement is gone, your turning movement is heavily nerfed. Not only that, but like I pointed out, if some one shoots you while you're sprinting you mays well just continue sprinting and pray you get away (Which a simple call out snuffs out that prayer). And in H4 and H5 you're slowed down, and h5 your shield dont recharge! The list goes on, people are bitching about a non issue it speeds up gameplay and allows for different rushes

You're still missing the point. Sprint does nothing to speed up gameplay. It's counter intuitive to that effect because it forces the maps to be larger, thereby creating zones of the field that barely see any firefights and are only used as ground to cover. And, because of these zones, the likelihood of you encountering multiple enemies is decreased.

The fact that it's movement without aiming is detrimental to Halo as an experience, because Halo's gunplay is focused on aiming while moving, which is one of the primary reasons that it's more competitive than other shooters. And the larger maps that are in because of Sprint cause a need to use it, even if you don't want to, because it's the only way to get to the battle quicker.

Whereas in Halo CE, 2, and 3 the maps were small enough to accommodate multiple skirmishes that affect and compliment one another, Reach, Halo 4, and, now, Halo 5 all have maps where firefights can break out across the map and whether one wins or loses one of such can mean nothing simply because you can just spawn in a place close to your teammates due to the map being large enough to make it so that losing ground on one side doesn't necessarily affect your team's positioning detrimentally. The correlation between individual battles, or even team fights means nothing now that the map is large enough to give teams an incredible amount of breathing room to where momentum dies out far too quickly, and not because of anything on either team's part. The is especially so in objective, where the larger map and more spawns makes carrying the objective a bum rush more than a calculated and controlled effort, because enemies can spawn in any manner of places. It isn't by virtue of the enemy team being able to stage an effective counter attack, it's because the map just spawned them in a direct intercept course with the carrier, which isn't based on the defending team's coordination, map knowledge, or skill. This is one of the worst side effects created by the so-called non issue of Sprint.

And Sprint is still an escape tool, regardless of what it has attached to it. The killtimes cause this to be so. You shouldn't have to have a teamshoot going just to kill one target, and it will only be worse now that the player has the thruster to use in conjunction with it.

It's unnecessary and brings more problems with it than need be, all because someone really wants it in, not because they think it will be good for the game. And even if they really believe that it will be good for the game, they haven't come up with any decent answer beyond "immersion." 

• Upvote (+1) 2

We're playing as S4's and S3's pretty sure they're not the insanely powerful super warriors that is Spartan 2 dumbass

Yea and some are playing as elites?  Who gives a fuck about the lore behind it.  I don't give a shit if 'I'm in a simulation as a S3 or an S4'.. no one reads into it that far.  Let me shoot my fucking gun without having to lower it and have it bounce around my screen like a pair of saggy tits.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Let me shoot my fucking gun without having to lower it and have it bounce around my screen like a pair of saggy tits.

This might be the most compelling anti-Sprint sentence ever. Of all time.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Sprint is not going anywhere in H5 unfortunately... IMO 343 should cater for both sides of the argument and have non sprint/abilities playlists similar to what COD: AW has done with classic cod modes.

Do you feel that MCC split the community? Or do you "feel the bonds" by the way the match making user interface combines them in a loose fashion?

I don't think the MCC really splits the community.

I believe that the halo games in MCC are "bonded by the matchmaking user interface" because its a collection of 'master chief involved' games, so it doesn't exactly split the halo community too much. The huge difference between halo 4 and halo 1-3 does slightly split the community of MCC, but it seems like majority of the halo players who got MCC mainly want to play halo 1-3 online.

Sprint is not going anywhere in H5 unfortunately... IMO 343 should cater for both sides of the argument and have non sprint/abilities playlists similar to what COD: AW has done with classic cod modes.

i had mention that earlier and people had said that it would split the community plus then you would have to make many changes to the game since the Spartans are already built for the map such as clamber and specific jumps 

Spartans never die, they're just sprinting away from action.

as sad as that is... umm yea, think about it. In a real war you would run your ass away if your out numbered. Plus master chief is fictional there's no way this kinda stuff will happen in our life time anyway but hey this is also a game doesnt mean sprint needs to stay etc. but halo 5's built now and looks like we're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to stay. Please don't involve realism into this topic or any lore, i would like it to stay on topic. 

343 keep talking about immersion and how they want you to feel like a spartan. All I keep seeing is an evolution from badass super-soldier mowing through bad guys into a running-away simulator with shiny graphics.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I voted "yes" in the first poll.

Voted "no" in the second because it not only gives you a chance to escape (although that has been partly addressed), it's also because maps have to be stretched out to accommodate for the higher speed, it still kind of is a get out of jail free card combined with thruster pack (thruster to cover and sprint away after out of the line of sight of the enemy) and most importantly just feels clunky when you have to give up your ability to shoot for mobility (which is required for map movement due to bigger maps).

It doesn't feel like an arena game, it doesn't feel like Halo. Base movement speed is also affected in a negative way. The game should have increased movement speed and no sprint.

Why do people on here constantly claim that "the community doesn't want/like Sprint"? Do you not understand the logistics behind the actual scope of the "community"? The only sub-section that is vehemently against sprint is us, and guess what? We are grossly outnumbered.  Get a grip of reality: the vast majority of players don't give a crap about competitive Halo or perfect competitive balance within gameplay.  They don't care about sprint breaking maps or promoting stupid gameplay.  The general playlists (Team Slayer, etc, etc) have always been the most populated no matter which Halo game you want to bring up...and guess what? Those playlists were always filled with casual kids, ie: the kids that are indifferent at best about Sprint, and/or actively support it.  You think EliteSniper245 who runs around the map with an AR cares about the competitive merits of Sprint? Don't be naive.

Its not being removed.  There is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes of production for a AAA game, ie: market testing, user analytics, etc.  The fact that Sprint is still here should tell you that there is demand for it.

And yet they dont play the crappy games with sprint in them either... You might be right that they don't care, but they clearly don't know what is good for them either if they don't but they quit playing Reach or 4 after a month. When they grew up grinding H3 and H2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If asked before playing the beta of course I would have said it doesn't belong, but honestly after the playing the beta I think it works okay. Could the game be better if it was removed? Definitely, but I don't think it's necessary, I enjoyed playing the game with sprint.

The base movement speed was too slow though, and that should definitely be increased.

Seems most people don't like it because it allows for escaping easily, so I'd like to see whether it would work better if you could only sprint if you have full shields. It's almost purely an offensive ability then.

These changes and I think I'd be sold on sprint.

I played some MCC yesterday and on every map tried to keep mind of any time I wanted to sprint in the games I played. I came up with the beach area on Stonetown, at the beginning of a game on Valhalla, and around those middle lift areas on Avalanche. If you design a correctly it just isn't needed. The sprint can be in the game as long as the movement speed is at least faster than any other Halo, but at that point why even have sprint.

I didn't get to play the pre beta, but from what I heard its relatively useless, was only used for very short bursts at best, or if someone was trying to escape gunfire...which is what we didn't want in the first place lol. With thrust, clamber, and ground pound to get u around the map faster anyways...I mean why bother? Like I said tho if its gotta be in the game cuz they're just hell bent on it, then the movement speed should be at least faster than any other Halo game so us guys who don't want it can have a fun time playing. Slow movement speed is one of my biggest pet peeves in Halo, but I heard H5 has a pretty decent setting for it this time around so that makes me happy. 

I'm not pro-sprint, but I'm going to defend it anyway. Not because it currently works or that Halo needs it, but that 343 have shown that they do have the potential to take the steps needed to make it fit in a Halo game.

In a sentence, this is why: because when Halo truly, unarguably works with sprint or any other negative feature, Halo becomes a more stable franchise with greater potential.

I've read enough comments recently to know that the pro-sprint side is no small demographic. It's not necessarily the majority of Halo "fans", but enough that Halo needs them to reestablish its iconic status. As well as that, or even more importantly, 343 simply aren't going to remove sprint. Even if they did, they would bring it back in a later Halo and give the franchise no chance of survival. All of this also goes for "ADS", which isn't even really true ADS anyway. Might as well help them get it right as soon as possible.

Plus, Halo 5 has been designed to work with sprint from the start.

There are two ways of making sprint work: from the inside and from the outside. The latter has a greater chance of success, and also a greater chance of failure - this is what they've mainly done in the beta, and is also an option that has been criminally disregarded by the community.

An example of balancing it from the inside - which they're now trying - is stopping your shields from recharging. This is good, but I feel more is needed. Examples: gradual shield drain, sudden 25% shield drop, or not being able to sprint without full health or shields. I think anything more than this would make sprint unappealing to the demographic 343 wants to win over for H5.

Balancing it from the outside allows for more negative effects of sprint to be remedied, but probably at the cost of classic Halo gameplay (but not necessarily quality gameplay).

For example, you can't fix the problems caused by big maps by changing anything within the mechanic of sprint itself. Instead, you fix Halo to work with those larger maps. Making Halo work with sprint means higher base player speed, ability to strafe at a longer distance (TP), the ability to take down a player sprinting away from you (Spartan Charge), decreasing TTK, etc.

Alternatively, you could just add in lots of new, unrelated positive features to simply counteract the negativity of sprint. That means being able to nade weapons to yourself, skillful movement/weapon tricks, encouraging strafing, spawn control, a wide shooting skill gap, a good ranking system, or a weapon sandbox that heavily promotes map movement. This route is an absolute must and we need to push these other features a lot more.

Sprint is a test of Halo's flexibility. If Halo 5 works with sprint, then we can finally rest easy in knowing Halo can, like any other decades-spanning franchise, (#)adapt itself to negative environments and still survive. Just my opinion.

If Halo 5 works with sprint, then we can finally rest easy in knowing Halo can, like any other decades-spanning franchise, (#)ADAPT itself to negative environments and still survive. Just my opinion.

Jack-Nicholson.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

Awesome, nearly 180'ish votes for no sprint on a competitive forum. Last I checked the thousands of people playing the Big Team & Heavies playlists on Halo 4 didn't mind sprint.

• Downvote (-1) 8

Awesome, nearly 180'ish votes for no sprint on a competitive forum. Last I checked the thousands of people playing the Big Team & Heavies playlists on Halo 4 didn't mind sprint.

It was alright in older titles when we had a high base speed. For all we know that high base speed could have been the equivalent to sprinting in the original trilogy. We were outrunning marines and catching up to enemies with it. But nah we needed more visual representation only for it slow down the game, the complete opposite of what the developers intended it to do.

Let's ignore multiple communities, not just Beyond, like on Neogaf, Bungie.net, or our own Waypoint which should be a major source of feedback:

0cb82815459f45f5b45e86bf339b84fe.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sprint prolongs engagements and saves people from bad plays. Sprint also stretches maps and reduces the verticality that Halo had much success with in Halo 1-3. If sprint was taken out of Halo 5 I would be ecstatic, but if it's left in as it is now; I would be mostly annoyed, because while it is very difficult to take sprint out at this point, the game doesn't need it. I want to be able to hold a position with meaning, and with sprint in the game I don't think that will happen, but I will give a response after I get to play the beta.