AnotherClutch

343 Trying to keep competitive gaming to themselves?

Hello Beyond. Some may not care in what i have to say, but i will try to do my best and explain.

It has come to my attention that Not a single Halo title (On the Xbox One) will be allowed on any ladder on http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com
I have contacted MLG Staff personally, and i was told that 343 will not be allowing Gamebattles permission to use their game. Some of you may think it's no big deal, but it actually is. MLG/Gamebattles is a Huge site, with over 9,000 competitive teams that play nearly everyday on the Call Of Duty Series! When Halo 3 was around they had over 6,000+ 4v4 teams registered, and almost all were active! PGL is currently controlling ladder play, but has an extremely small community compared to MLG/Gamebattles with 300,000+ members.

http://gyazo.com/c51ae72942fc997e97d62b54c6b1048e

My point here is why do you think (343) is holding Halo back from branching out to other community's? This would be great, and very helpful for expanding.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think it all has to do with the partnership with Twitch, and how mlg uses their own streaming services. It's not like 343 is restricting a lot of organizations from getting involved with Halo, it just seems to be mlg.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Do we really know that 343 is keeping MLG from using Halo for anything? I wouldn't trust the bias of MLG employees; didn't they say Virgin Gaming had all the rights for Halo 4 events when in reality it was because they couldn't get any dev support(mind you other events like AGL got help from 343)?

MLG Halo is truly dead then.

amen.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly, i'd say it was much more likely that it's MLG doing the holding back.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They probably see how Riot has been managing to do things and think it's a good idea

• Upvote (+1) 1

MLG Halo is truly dead then.

Because it was so alive up until this post.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Honestly, i'd say it was much more likely that it's MLG doing the holding back.

Doubt it, unless OP or MLG staff was lying. Normally Adam A is really responsive on Reddit so I don't doubt he got in contact with him and responded.

Those folks can just migrate to PGL/ESL. I dont know why you would play on GB when there is a online tournament for 1K every week.

dose anyone remember how dead the old Halo GB ladders were? pgl is fine and honestly better. personally id like to see esn have there own ladders.

This is something that will either get better with time, or die out in a flare.

If it's MLG and Gamebattles specifically (for circumstances surrounding such), then perhaps it will be different for other organizations like with PGL. If it's a general embargo all but the most "authorized" of organizations, then this is not a good thing.

However, if interest in pro/competitive Halo grows, I can see them becoming more lax in their regulation of who can host the game, competitively. If it doesn't, then all you'll see is a few sponsored events immediately after release and then one or two a year after just to see if people might still want to watch (see Halo 4).

It depends on relations between 343i/M$ and the various communities, the popularity of the game, and whether or not people actually want to host the game.

Doubt it, unless OP or MLG staff was lying. Normally Adam A is really responsive on Reddit so I don't doubt he got in contact with him and responded.

Here's the reply I had back in Nov. I have no idea how to embed twitter. But here is Gashi's twitter link. 

https://twitter.com/MLGIlir?original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fi%2Fnotifications&tw_i=532817227649929216&tw_p=tweetembed

7d523c87345ac5467171a8d3183eab71.png

Here's the reply I had back in Nov. I have no idea how to embed twitter. But here is Gashi's twitter link.

https://twitter.com/MLGIlir?original_referer=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fi%2Fnotifications&tw_i=532817227649929216&tw_p=tweetembed

7d523c87345ac5467171a8d3183eab71.png

Ah. Well that could mean it could be from MLG or 343's end. But OP said specifically 343 so maybe he should screen cap.

Overall I dont care much I just think it's interesting

dose anyone remember how dead the old Halo GB ladders were? pgl is fine and honestly better. personally id like to see esn have there own ladders.

GB ladders were really/way more active up until H4s release.

Just to bring in a legal perspective here (Nortwegian/international lawyer, though so not competent i US law - although copyright etc is pretty much harmonized wsorld over).

From a legal standpoint there is nothing really stopping MLG from running ladders for Halo. No developer can block anyone from running tournaments. Sure, they could do -- like nintendo did w/Smash -- prohibit streaming. However, Microsoft has its "Game Content Usage Rules". which allow for streaming etc. At least as long as its not on a website with ads. Sooo... I guess that the reason why MLG does not want to run Halo is that they cannot stream it w/ads -- and thus they can`t make money off of it.

Still, though, NOTHING should be blocking them from just setting up ladders. At least I can`t see any viable argument why they should be prohibited from doing so.

• Upvote (+1) 4

GB was terrible anyways, I've been hearing good things about PGL so I hope players can just move there instead. 

also mlg sux too. Never watching anything from them after they ran Smash and KI/Injustice, worst event I've watched in the last year or so

• Upvote (+1) 1

Was never a gamebattles person so I can't say I care too much. Dumb move, but as long as 343 keeps holding event like they are now, I'm fine.