aksKyun

What's Your Biggest Problem With the Xbox One?

87 members have voted

1. 1. What's your biggest problem with the Xbox One?

• Used games?
    • Kinect?
    • Other?
    • Price?

Other then the DRM? Being online at least once a day... There lots of times i'm not even home once per day... Like during the summer. Between this Wednesday and the end of August, There is going to be 3-4 times where i'm gone for a week, And that happens every summer. On 2 of those trips i would normally take my xbox and jam some offline shit to kill time on rainy days or tired days at my cabin or in a hotel (But i guess if i wanted to i could get online in a hotel...) Regardless, I think it's complete crap.

What exactly will happen to my xbox when i'm M.I.A for multiple days and my xbox sits offline? Will i have to do something to it when i get home in order to use it again? I'm still slightly confused on this.

Also $100 more for a much weaker console? What's that about...

• Upvote (+1) 1

PC is ahead of the curve. This is still behind. Its not a hard thing to do, hook each game to one account (similar to steam), and have a download code. Its simple.

Then you are limiting things even further. With Microsofts approach you are still able to play games with friends or let members of your family play your games without having to buy another copy.

People are all up in arms over this stuff, when its the exact same thing PC has been doing for years. People don't even buy PC games in stores nowadays. PC has way more DRm checks then consoles have ever had as well. The consoles BIG drm obstacle has been the difficulty and effort required to pirate games.

In terms of consoles, Microsoft is ahead of the curve. They were ahead of the curve when they required you to have Broadband to use Xbox Live as well. 

I think Microsofts PR has been terrible so far, lots of misinformation and misconstrued information. I think the MS hatewagon is even worse though, because people either don't understand what they are complaining about or havent even taken the time to research.

Other then the DRM? Being online at least once a day... There lots of times i'm not even home once per day... Like during the summer. Between this Wednesday and the end of August, There is going to be 3-4 times where i'm gone for a week, And that happens every summer. On 2 of those trips i would normally take my xbox and jam some offline shit to kill time on rainy days or tired days at my cabin or in a hotel (But i guess if i wanted to i could get online in a hotel...) Regardless, I think it's complete crap.

What exactly will happen to my xbox when i'm M.I.A for multiple days and my xbox sits offline? Will i have to do something to it when i get home in order to use it again? I'm still slightly confused on this.

Nothing will happen to your Xbox. You'll turn it on, it will verify your licenses, and you'll be playing your games in a matter of minutes.

As for the $500 pricetag, most of that comes from Kinect. Also, the Xbox One uses the Cloud for a large portion of its processing, most things that can be processed on delays will be handled from the cloud. If any company is up to this task its Microsoft.

The PS3 was technically superior to the Xbox 360, but we never saw any noticeable gap between games for the two consoles. Developers designed their games to play on both consoles, and the same thing will happen this generation. If there is any difference it will be through the PS4 exclusive titles.

The PS4's GPU and RAM are much stronger than the Xbox One's.

Either way its idiotic. There isn't really any good reason besides maybe preventing a small amount of piracy.

And it allows them to use super awesome features like digital game sharing, and cloud storage.

The X1 is always on and will periodically check for a connection, so you don't have to worry.

And if you are gone out, you can use your mobile phone as a hotspot for your X1 to give the handshake to the Xbox servers once every 24 hrs. It's only a few kilobytes of data.

I may be wrong but I do believe the 24 hour online check does not affect us for I'm assuming all of us here have Xbox Live so the online check doesn't really matter to us but if you didn't have live if would affect you because there's no point in using it so the online check if for those who don't have Xbox Live (I could be wrong) (Someone correct me if so)

And today it was just announced Xbox Games will stay $60 but PS4 will have a $10 increase on their games. Thoughts? 

Microsofts attitude towards the Xbox One is the reason I am buying a PS4. I couldn't care less about them implementing all of these new features as they don't affect me. The thing I do care about is the fact that Microsoft is so open about screwing over their fan base to make an extra dollar.

Reasons

Microsoft's attitude towards it's consumer is one of arrogance.

They're not offering the future, they're making changes to better control you and the money they can make off of you.

DRM

The sole reason Microsoft is implementing this is to control the re-sale of games. Controlling the license of a game you bought is making you pay for a privilege to play the game. Microsoft is essentially transitioning to a an online arcade that charges you a one time fee to play a game that can only be played in their gaming arcade(always online), controlling who can and can not play on your arcade game(limit ten friends, one at a time). Consumers that support this will be essentially telling a company that I don't have to own what I bought as I once did. I will be content with simply paying for the right to play it. If you so choose though, you can take my rights to play what I paid for. A very interesting point about DRM is if developers made a game that people wanted to keep and play repeatedly, then there would be no need for DRM to control resale. Destroy the need to trade in or sell a new game and the demand for the game will cause a potential used game buyer to buy a new game.

Always On

Support the Military. Nuff said. People who don't wish to be online, but wish to game will be unable. I know at earlier times of my life, I couldn't afford internet (thank goodness, I am more than blessed now). Christmas comes around and family or someone close buys you a new gaming console because they know how much you like video games and work hard, but like to play. Without internet, you just screwed over a customer that maybe couldn't afford a new console, but someone could for him.

Kinect

I have nothing to hide, and the same applies to a large majority of citizens and foreigners alike. I don't suspect many Al Qaeda play Halo or COD. I really don't care if they are watching me. It's the fact that there is a chance they could be, the fact that I have no choice if I want the equipment or not. It's funny, because the entire reasoning behind including the Kinect is to open the market for developers on Xbox One to include Kinect features because every Xbox One user will have one. The problem with the original launch of the Kinect is not enough people purchased one, and the market for Devs to make a Kinect game was small enough that we never saw a great title emerge from the Kinect, for the Kinect. (Except Kinectimals, right?) That sounds like a failed launch and an unsuccessful product. If people didn't want it, you can't make them buy it, right? Wrong. Xbox One will now require you to pay for a failed product that a company who developed it says is the way of the future. If it was a successful product, don't you think people would have embraced it? Maybe you need to retool the product and improve it, come back and see if I want it. Creating a demand for the product by forcing the user to take the failed product or not get a working console is an admittedly brilliant strategy, but one that I do not support. I don't need nor do I want a Kinect. I already have one that collects dust just fine. It was a novel toy for a few hours, with no practicability at the moment and they should have to win my trust back with the product instead of forcing an ultimatum on me, holding a next gen console as the figurative carrot over my head.

Controller

The triggers now practically touch, the sticks have a clicking instead of squishy feel, and the mic port is changing. I have a new pair Astros I bought at Christmas that I will not be able to use at Launch unless you guys make an adapter or a change soon. If I hear the excuse that a 2.5 mm jack doesn't offer the proper specifications for the way of the future, Ima spaz out on you. The 2.5 mm jack is similar to the 3.5 mm jack which is in use on major cell phones and telephones alike. Devices which sole purpose is to talk with use these, why are you changing them? To make money. Simple. Create a new product that require a new demand. Have a partner (Turtle Beach) set up to release adapter/headset and make profit. So stupid and uncaring. Squeeze the person who has supported you for years, and make me spend money because you know you can get me to pay a little extra for the ability to talk and play with my fancy headset. All the other changes are good changes to the controller but are moot due to the negative changes you made.

Price

$499 - Yes I can afford it. I know why I'm paying $110 dollars more than I need to. I could be paying $389 and so could you. However the Kinect is not optional. It's Microsoft's refusal to admit that the Kinect is a failed product and is now making you pay to recover their costs spent on development. Why else should I be forced to purchase something I do not want. The more I think about reaching for my wallet, the more I feel like a tool for you manipulating me. Dangling the new xbox over my head and making me buy a Kinect first before I can have what I actually want. So the more you push me, the more I realize I'm paying for your mistakes.

Customer Service

Public response to the Xbox One has been overwhelmingly negative and has repeatedly told you what we don't want. (If you don't believe me, go to a impartial website like facebook where all users can comment and read Xbox Status updates about Xbox One without being downvoted) You as a company continue to tell us what we need and what you think the future is. Guess what? No one forced people to buy an iPhone. People recognized the technology and accessibility of the product and it became the future. You can't make the future and although you are certainly trying to drag us kicking and screaming into the future, it is not the future. It is simply Microsoft's version of the future which hurts my wallet, restricts my rights as a consumer, and treats me like a number. I am not a slave to your product and despite the repeated cries of your fans, you carry on. Realize that the only reason you are a gaming console is because Sony screwed up and you were the right guy at the right time. (This applies to a lot of gamers that switched over the PS3 debacle, and fans that switched before that for the exclusive titles and easily accessible online MP). You are not invincible. You cannot continue to tell me what I want, need, or will buy in order to control me. I am a consumer and I am the most important person to your company. I am your boss when it comes down to it. I can fire you in the blink of an eye when I choose to stop paying you. I am a drop in the ocean, but civilizations have been destroyed by floods. The more people you drive away, the less likely you are to survive.

You want my money? Make changes. Now. Until then, I am preparing to make the switch to Playstation or PC ASAP.

Relevant.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Major Nelson confirmed you will not lose your game licenses if banned. And anyway, don't get banned.

thanks for clearing that up for me! Yeah I have not been banned before so I don't expect to on the One

The PS4's GPU and RAM are much stronger than the Xbox One's.

What?

GPU for the X1 hasn't even been specified yet.

8GB DDR5 vs 8GB DDR3. It's not as big of a difference.

What?

GPU for the X1 hasn't even been specified yet.

8GB DDR5 vs 8GB DDR3. It's not as big of a difference.

The GPU for the Xbox One is the AMD GCN 768-SPU, while the GPU for the PS4 is the AMD GCN 1152-SPU. The GPU's don't have much of a difference, but the GDDR5 is way stronger than the DDR3, Especially when 3 GB's of it are being used on the several OS's for the X1.

The GPU for the Xbox One is the AMD GCN 768-SPU, while the GPU for the PS4 is the AMD GCN 1152-SPU. The GPU's don't have much of a difference, but the GDDR5 is way stronger than the DDR3, Especially when 3 GB's of it are being used on the several OS's for the X1.

Fair enough. Is the GPU speculation or from leaks I didn't see it being announced. Do you have a link for me maybe I missed it...?

After buying 3 halo 3's and 2 halo reach's, I love that microsoft took the digital download route. Not having to deal with disc's anymore is a big plus in my book. 

My biggest problem is the kinect.

Take the Kinect out of the box and make a new bundle for $399.99 and were done.
I would buy it even with the used games issues if they weren't slamming me in the mouth with the "Eye Of Sauron" in the living room.

Take the Kinect out of the box and make a new bundle for $399.99 and were done.

I would buy it even with the used games issues if they weren't slamming me in the mouth with the "Eye Of Sauron" in the living room.

PS4 is going to have used game restrictions as well.

and do you guys really think that the Kinect is "spying" on you? I feel like its a reason for people to dislike the console.

and do you guys really think that the Kinect is "spying" on you? I feel like its a reason for people to dislike the console.

Agreed, people are overreacting over it so much. I can understand the complaints about the Kinect being mandatory, thus driving the price of the console bundle up, but spying on you, really? Unless you have something to hide, I don't get why people are getting so mad over this. It's been confirmed you can put it on pause mode where it only listens to the voice command, "Xbox, on" as well as being able to be completely turned off. Even if you still feel insecure, you could put something over the camera, or face it against the wall, not like it's a big deal.

I think the possibility will be there, not to mention that most Xbox One's will always be online. It will only take one really determined hacker to violate the privacy of other people's homes. In my eyes, the Kinect is and was a failed product. I have one and have for almost 2 years. I've played with it less than 10 hours and only used it to annoy 12 year olds on COD who can afford a Kinect but not a $15 mic. So for Microsoft to force the Kinect on me with the launch of their new console, I view this as them telling me "You'll pay us for our time and effort put into the development of a product we made for you. We will get our money back whether you like it or not". That to me is brilliant business, but poor customer service.

I feel that a lot of Microsoft's decisions on their next gaming console take away my choice to decide whether or not I want the Kinect, whether or not I want to be online, whether or not I want to give my game away. A company telling me what I can and can't do is a company I will not pay for entertainment. I am buying my entertainment and like Burger King, I'll have it my way or I'll go somewhere else. Freedom of choice is something I feel strongly towards. Microsoft in every way opposes that.

I think the possibility will be there, not to mention that most Xbox One's will always be online. It will only take one really determined hacker to violate the privacy of other people's homes. In my eyes, the Kinect is and was a failed product. I have one and have for almost 2 years. I've played with it less than 10 hours and only used it to annoy 12 year olds on COD who can afford a Kinect but not a $15 mic. So for Microsoft to force the Kinect on me with the launch of their new console, I view this as them telling me "You'll pay us for our time and effort put into the development of a product we made for you. We will get our money back whether you like it or not". That to me is brilliant business, but poor customer service.

I feel that a lot of Microsoft's decisions on their next gaming console take away my choice to decide whether or not I want the Kinect, whether or not I want to be online, whether or not I want to give my game away. A company telling me what I can and can't do is a company I will not pay for entertainment. I am buying my entertainment and like Burger King, I'll have it my way or I'll go somewhere else. Freedom of choice is something I feel strongly towards. Microsoft in every way opposes that.

That isn't used game restrictions. Thats for lending games. The PS4 can lend a game to on person next to you, the XB1 can lend a game to 10 people across the country.

I do NOT want to pay for something I will NOT use. I do not want a Kinect, I will not use a Kinect, why am I paying an extra $100 for a device I will never use? Adding insult to injury, I can't even unplug the fucking thing? Do not even get me started on the required internet connection. It's like Microsoft wanted to give a big "Fuck you!" to the poor, people serving overseas, and other people living in some remote area where internet access is scarce. I honestly wanted to slap Major Nelson for being an arrogant prick during that

, it's as if he lacks any form of sympathy. No Major Nelson, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to play a single player game.  I knew the Xbox One would be a failure when they announced it; I knew when they were emphasizing watching TV on the Xbox that they have abandoned the gaming demographic.

I absolutely love how confident Microsoft is with their anti-consumerist attitude, because I know it will blow up in their face. Can't wait to play some games on PS4. Hopefully the price drops for Xbox One when Halo 5 is released.

Reasons

Microsoft's attitude towards it's consumer is one of arrogance.

They're not offering the future, they're making changes to better control you and the money they can make off of you.

DRM

The sole reason Microsoft is implementing this is to control the re-sale of games. Controlling the license of a game you bought is making you pay for a privilege to play the game. Microsoft is essentially transitioning to a an online arcade that charges you a one time fee to play a game that can only be played in their gaming arcade(always online), controlling who can and can not play on your arcade game(limit ten friends, one at a time). Consumers that support this will be essentially telling a company that I don't have to own what I bought as I once did. I will be content with simply paying for the right to play it. If you so choose though, you can take my rights to play what I paid for. A very interesting point about DRM is if developers made a game that people wanted to keep and play repeatedly, then there would be no need for DRM to control resale. Destroy the need to trade in or sell a new game and the demand for the game will cause a potential used game buyer to buy a new game.

Always On

Support the Military. Nuff said. People who don't wish to be online, but wish to game will be unable. I know at earlier times of my life, I couldn't afford internet (thank goodness, I am more than blessed now). Christmas comes around and family or someone close buys you a new gaming console because they know how much you like video games and work hard, but like to play. Without internet, you just screwed over a customer that maybe couldn't afford a new console, but someone could for him.

Kinect

I have nothing to hide, and the same applies to a large majority of citizens and foreigners alike. I don't suspect many Al Qaeda play Halo or COD. I really don't care if they are watching me. It's the fact that there is a chance they could be, the fact that I have no choice if I want the equipment or not. It's funny, because the entire reasoning behind including the Kinect is to open the market for developers on Xbox One to include Kinect features because every Xbox One user will have one. The problem with the original launch of the Kinect is not enough people purchased one, and the market for Devs to make a Kinect game was small enough that we never saw a great title emerge from the Kinect, for the Kinect. (Except Kinectimals, right?) That sounds like a failed launch and an unsuccessful product. If people didn't want it, you can't make them buy it, right? Wrong. Xbox One will now require you to pay for a failed product that a company who developed it says is the way of the future. If it was a successful product, don't you think people would have embraced it? Maybe you need to retool the product and improve it, come back and see if I want it. Creating a demand for the product by forcing the user to take the failed product or not get a working console is an admittedly brilliant strategy, but one that I do not support. I don't need nor do I want a Kinect. I already have one that collects dust just fine. It was a novel toy for a few hours, with no practicability at the moment and they should have to win my trust back with the product instead of forcing an ultimatum on me, holding a next gen console as the figurative carrot over my head.

Controller

The triggers now practically touch, the sticks have a clicking instead of squishy feel, and the mic port is changing. I have a new pair Astros I bought at Christmas that I will not be able to use at Launch unless you guys make an adapter or a change soon. If I hear the excuse that a 2.5 mm jack doesn't offer the proper specifications for the way of the future, Ima spaz out on you. The 2.5 mm jack is similar to the 3.5 mm jack which is in use on major cell phones and telephones alike. Devices which sole purpose is to talk with use these, why are you changing them? To make money. Simple. Create a new product that require a new demand. Have a partner (Turtle Beach) set up to release adapter/headset and make profit. So stupid and uncaring. Squeeze the person who has supported you for years, and make me spend money because you know you can get me to pay a little extra for the ability to talk and play with my fancy headset. All the other changes are good changes to the controller but are moot due to the negative changes you made.

Price

$499 - Yes I can afford it. I know why I'm paying $110 dollars more than I need to. I could be paying $389 and so could you. However the Kinect is not optional. It's Microsoft's refusal to admit that the Kinect is a failed product and is now making you pay to recover their costs spent on development. Why else should I be forced to purchase something I do not want. The more I think about reaching for my wallet, the more I feel like a tool for you manipulating me. Dangling the new xbox over my head and making me buy a Kinect first before I can have what I actually want. So the more you push me, the more I realize I'm paying for your mistakes.

Customer Service

Public response to the Xbox One has been overwhelmingly negative and has repeatedly told you what we don't want. (If you don't believe me, go to a impartial website like facebook where all users can comment and read Xbox Status updates about Xbox One without being downvoted) You as a company continue to tell us what we need and what you think the future is. Guess what? No one forced people to buy an iPhone. People recognized the technology and accessibility of the product and it became the future. You can't make the future and although you are certainly trying to drag us kicking and screaming into the future, it is not the future. It is simply Microsoft's version of the future which hurts my wallet, restricts my rights as a consumer, and treats me like a number. I am not a slave to your product and despite the repeated cries of your fans, you carry on. Realize that the only reason you are a gaming console is because Sony screwed up and you were the right guy at the right time. (This applies to a lot of gamers that switched over the PS3 debacle, and fans that switched before that for the exclusive titles and easily accessible online MP). You are not invincible. You cannot continue to tell me what I want, need, or will buy in order to control me. I am a consumer and I am the most important person to your company. I am your boss when it comes down to it. I can fire you in the blink of an eye when I choose to stop paying you. I am a drop in the ocean, but civilizations have been destroyed by floods. The more people you drive away, the less likely you are to survive.

You want my money? Make changes. Now. Until then, I am preparing to make the switch to Playstation or PC ASAP.

My god, that post made me feel extremely uncomfortable. 

The word "restrictions" really bothers me. I feel like if I turned on my Xbox one (oh wait its always on) that there's walls all around me and very few paths to take. The "future" is unlimited possibilities, not restrictions. In no way will any of these restrictions significantly affect me, but the idea that they are there tells me a lot about Microsoft's goal. 

As for the Kinect and the price - I don't have a Kinect but I wouldn't mind using it. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. The fact that we are paying more just because the Xbox won't work without it is obnoxious. 

Here's where I differ. I will be buying the Xbox one, regardless of whether or not they make changes. I can't not get Halo 5 among some of the other games and features that I really like about the system. Microsoft, you win. I'd hate to pay this scumbag company $500 but they have successfully shown me what I want while throwing a bunch of extra shit that I am going to have to deal with. 

That isn't used game restrictions. Thats for lending games. The PS4 can lend a game to on person next to you, the XB1 can lend a game to 10 people across the country.

So tell me how Sony is going to notice, much less restrict the selling of a game? Without a license hangup, you will be able to trade, sell, and borrow PS4 games. 

My god, that post made me feel extremely uncomfortable. 

The word "restrictions" really bothers me. I feel like if I turned on my Xbox one (oh wait its always on) that there's walls all around me and very few paths to take. The "future" is unlimited possibilities, not restrictions. In no way will any of these restrictions significantly affect me, but the idea that they are there tells me a lot about Microsoft's goal. 

As for the Kinect and the price - I don't have a Kinect but I wouldn't mind using it. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. The fact that we are paying more just because the Xbox won't work without it is obnoxious. 

Here's where I differ. I will be buying the Xbox one, regardless of whether or not they make changes. I can't not get Halo 5 among some of the other games and features that I really like about the system. Microsoft, you win. I'd hate to pay this scumbag company $500 but they have successfully shown me what I want while throwing a bunch of extra shit that I am going to have to deal with. 

I am actually very pleased to hear that someone is not blindly fanatically loyal to Xbox. It should make you very uncomfortable. 

That's exactly it. Do your own research so that you can draw your own conclusions, but I feel you will end up at the same or similar conclusion as me. They used a lot of word play to describe something that in my eyes is a funnel feeding my wallet and choices to them. 

I've had a Kinect for almost two years and I wanted one because I thought it was amazing. Trouble is, I just didn't enjoy it. Why be physically active for a video game, when I can go do that outside. It got very old very fast for me. Great for social parties, that kind of thing, because it gets people acting the fool, but basically a novel paperweight most of the time, and I have no choice but to buy it if I want an Xbox One (which I don't).

I'm afraid quite a few of the Halo crowd will do the same. To be honest, all my hope is in Destiny, Blacklight, and Battlefield 4 to save competitive gaming via the PS4. I don't know if it's been confirmed yet, but I heard through the grapevine that MLG is planning the purchase of multiple PS4's as well as Xbox One's. To me though, Halo is dad. I can't justify paying $500 to a company like Microsoft that has no regard for me as a consumer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So tell me how Sony is going to notice, much less restrict the selling of a game? Without a license hangup, you will be able to trade, sell, and borrow PS4 games. 

Its not Sony, its the publishers. They can decide to allow used game trading by telling retailers to accept trade ins.

Not sure yet. It has it's problems but I am not sure whats going to be the worst.

From what I know no LAN and no tournaments based off the check in's is pretty disappointing.

I'm not using a baby dick playstation controller. Those controllers are fucking awful. Don't care if the PS4 has better graphics personally. I want Halo 5 (?) and I refuse to support Playstation after PS2.

Also the 360 was 399.99 at launch without a kinect, not that I'm for a connect but a 100 dollar increase for the increase in specs it's getting and inflation is not bad at all...

Thinking it will be the same price as 360 at launch is delusional. This costs more to make and its been close to 10 years.