Sign in to follow this  
Diatox

Microsoft Wants Halo to Last Another 30 Years

Oh god halo has truely become microsofts cash cow and they are desperately milking it for everything it is worth, books, films tv series, streaming site, and a series of games.

None of these are bad in theory but when they are all flawed and massive disappointments it just ruins the franchise, look what happened to the alien franchise.

If any of the above were executed well it might spark life back into this painfully slow dying saga (just for the record i dont want it dead just pointing out the direction it is heading) however 343 have now shown their incompetence and lack of ability to understand the community that i have lost complete faith, anyone know who is clinging to hopes of H5 reviving the series is just delusional with kevin franklin in charge this game will be further away from halo than ever before (ground pound, sprint, slide, climbing mechanics, aiming down sights, search and destroy game mode gun goose etc as proof) individually

For the game to be a success all of the above features will have to be perfectly added without retracting from gameplay which as i said due to the fact kevin franklin is there i dont think is likely to happen, i.e their last game mode was based off of one game mode BTB heavies yeah that was a smart decision for a competitive arena shooter

Kevin Franklin is still in charge of MP? Hurtin. Actually i kinda forgot about i knew that lol.

Kevin Franklin is still in charge of MP? Hurtin. Actually i kinda forgot about i knew that lol.

To be blunt, that is the real problem. How this dude is still Lead Designer of Halo MP with his track-record is beyond me.

Tsquared was on stream with Naded earlier talking about he was trying to explain to KF how sprint ruins Halo and changes the maps in a negative way, but he said KF didn't seem to fully understand what he was saying. It might be wrong of me to judge someone's design tendencies on their preferred shooter style, but if I had to guess Franklin was more of a SOCOM guy than a Halo guy growing up. On the other hand, I have no doubt guys like Quinn are oldschool Halo players and Arena FPS players.

That is shown by his focus on Breakout, a mode we all know is going to fail in comp play for obvious reasons, instead of traditional Halo game modes that have been forgotten/ruined over the years as the maps have become larger and the game has become less skill-based like FFA/1v1 and 2v2. CoD is THRASHING Halo at DM respawn game modes currently, which is a disgrace to the series that was the undisputed DM king on console from 2001-2010 which was why it was so successful in my opinion NOT BS abilities and Cod-like gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 6

If they want Halo to last 30 years then they need to stop blowing their wad trying to appeal to casuals (see: fans of other games, non-competitive players, etc), the most transient and adulterous population of gamers on the fucking planet, by cross-pollinating the series with other popular franchises which keeps resulting in impotent-hybrid offspring.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well St least I can at least kick my future sons ass for maybe 15 years before he starts kicking mine.

Regardless if halo 5 is good or not, halo 6 will be a thing, and probably halo 7. The game can be around for a while, it may not be as fun from a competitive stand point, but the title will be around for quite some time. 

To be blunt, that is the real problem. How this dude is still Lead Designer of Halo MP with his track-record is beyond me.

It might be wrong of me to judge someone's design tendencies on their preferred shooter style, but if I had to guess Franklin was more of a SOCOM guy than a Halo guy growing up. On the other hand, I have no doubt guys like Quinn are oldschool Halo players and Arena FPS players.

I just looked up his profile on LinkedIn, and apparently before joining 343, he worked for Slant Six - otherwise known as the studio that basically killed SOCOM. He worked on SOCOM Confrontation, which apparently was a complete abortion, before joining 343 and producing Halo 4, another abortion. Everything the guy touches turns to shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tsquared was on stream with Naded earlier talking about he was trying to explain to KF how sprint ruins Halo and changes the maps in a negative way, but he said KF didn't seem to fully understand what he was saying. It might be wrong of me to judge someone's design tendencies on their preferred shooter style, but if I had to guess Franklin was more of a SOCOM guy than a Halo guy growing up. On the other hand, I have no doubt guys like Quinn are oldschool Halo players and Arena FPS players.

That is shown by his focus on Breakout, a mode we all know is going to fail in comp play for obvious reasons, instead of traditional Halo game modes that have been forgotten/ruined over the years as the maps have become larger and the game has become less skill-based like FFA/1v1 and 2v2. CoD is THRASHING Halo at DM respawn game modes currently, which is a disgrace to the series that was the undisputed DM king on console from 2001-2010 which was why it was so successful in my opinion NOT BS abilities and Cod-like gameplay.

Like i said i totally forgot he was still working for 343i. He's actually when i heard heard/realized he was still going to working for 343i of the reasons why i was like "yeah okay, good-bye Halo" and had such low expectations for the H5 lol.

It's awesome to hear guys like T2 are letting the devs know what's up. It's too bad the Lead Designer of MP is a noob lol. No offense, but it's the honest truth. He's the type of guy who prefers party game types and Social Slayer while once and a while playing Team Slayer. The guy's a level 30(h3 rankings) tops in Ts and i'm being generous lol. And there's nothing wrong with that, EXCEPT when you're the Lead Designer of MP and you're trying to make a game with "eSports in mind".

Ogre1 Junior aka. New Ogre - promoting Xbox Air (new generation of Xbox Live) - Playing HCE Over his 'Samsung GS 35' online with other players over his 11g data connection of 1 petabyte/second.

yeah i focused more on the new tech than the new games lol

Bungie killed Halo and 343 danced on the body.

I imagine 343 teabagging Halo with the H3 teabag physics.

It looks like the body is moving but it's really just a lifeless corpse.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just looked up his profile on LinkedIn, and apparently before joining 343, he worked for Slant Six - otherwise known as the studio that basically killed SOCOM. He worked on SOCOM Confrontation, which apparently was a complete abortion, before joining 343 and producing Halo 4, another abortion. Everything the guy touches turns to shit.

I am aware, SOCOM was actually a good series too I used to play it when I had a PS2 for awhile. It baffles me for two reasons: One because he clearly had never worked on anything like Halo MP prior to his hire or anything on that scale. You dont see Blizzard hiring Cliffy B as lead designer to make their next RPG/strategy game or whatever.

Secondly, I thought the AAA game industry was all about seniority and experience in that particular role and from what I have seen there are more qualified designers at 343 to take the lead role over him. Its just shocking to me that MS/343 would give someone who looks like he could be in grad school still such an important position. Obviously they think differently though, and I just wish he would pull a Jay Wilson(lead on D3) and realize he screwed up and has to change his views. For reference http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7709120938

Kevin Franklin is still in charge of MP? 

Easy to forget and all since he hasnt made a public appearance since halo 4's release after he made several misleading quotes like "FEELS LIKE HALO" and comments which annoyed the community such as  "WE EVALUATED LINE BY LINE OF THE CODE TO NOT MAKE IT LIKE HALO 1.2 OR 3 BUT LIKE HALO 4" or my personal favorite "no player finishes the game with a zero" as it sums the logic of the game, we need to make this noob friendly how can we reduce the skill gap"

Look to be frank someone else made a thread asking was sprint the main problem with halo, well imo opinion it is KEVIN FRANKLIN he doesn't understand halo, ghandhi t2 and most likely ghost have all explained why things such as sprint does not work but he still doesn't listen , how can someone blindly reject the pro's opinions like that their the experts there the ones who play the fucking game for countless hours, unlike kevin franklin who has probably never played and i have no doubt was one of the people the article "we hired people who hate halo" was referring to as  its blatantly obvious from halo 4 i mean look at the things he put in:

1. full customization of loadouts 
  2. no bloom dmr 
  3. no descope - this combined with no bloom ruined btb as de-scope was too disorientating 
  4. made it so you spawn with mini shotgun and plasma's
  5. introduced x-ray vison
  6. released hcc with a host of problems of problems
  7. based HALO 4 AROUND BTB HEAVIES
  8. Introduced ordinance
  9. indicator over flag/ball carrier
  10. introduced flagnum
  11. introduced automatic pick up of objective 
  12. introduced throwing mechanic or oddball
  13. made the maps enormous
  14. introduced the mantis
  15. ruined king of hill
  16. were still stuck with active camo as a Armour ability
  17. gave people a medal for everything 
  18. can no longer drop the flag and do the flag run
  19. openly admitting to catering to noobs and deliberately reducing the skill gap
  20. implemented terrible spawn systems look at lock out and remember abandon
  21. buffed the AR/SAW to the point where they were ridiculously over powered
  22. 5 shot br
  23. made halo a game where you no longer have to strategically move around the map                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      But wait theirs more he is going to add the following 
  24. search and destroy
  25. ground pound 
  26. clamber
  27. slide
  28. aiming down sights
  29. im fairly positive iv heard of a double jump mechanic
  30. and who knows what else                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  my point is halo has no hope with this man in charge as he simply doesn't understand the community or the game, he is simply looking at other successful games and going oooooooooooh that's a good idea lets stick it in, I mean for god sake the game is no longer halo it plays nothing like the traditional trilogy and it is getting further away with every second he is in charge.

Btw id like to point im not saying he implemented everyone of those decisions but hes the one who has final say he is the one responsible for what goes in the game and what gets left out thats why im saying hes the issue as he clearly hasnt a clue what made halo the success that it was 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Easy to forget and all since he hasnt made a public appearance since halo 4's release after he made several misleading quotes like "FEELS LIKE HALO" and comments which annoyed the community such as  "WE EVALUATED LINE BY LINE OF THE CODE TO NOT MAKE IT LIKE HALO 1.2 OR 3 BUT LIKE HALO 4" or my personal favorite "no player finishes the game with a zero" as it sums the logic of the game, we need to make this noob friendly how can we reduce the skill gap"

Look to be frank someone else made a thread asking was sprint the main problem with halo, well imo opinion it is KEVIN FRANKLIN he doesn't understand halo, ghandhi t2 and most likely ghost have all explained why things such as sprint does not work but he still doesn't listen , how can someone blindly reject the pro's opinions like that their the experts there the ones who play the fucking game for countless hours, unlike kevin franklin who has probably never played and i have no doubt was one of the people the article "we hired people who hate halo" was referring to as  its blatantly obvious from halo 4 i mean look at the things he put in:

• full customization of loadouts 
  • no bloom dmr 
  • no descope - this combined with no bloom ruined btb as de-scope was too disorientating 
  • made it so you spawn with mini shotgun and plasma's
  • introduced x-ray vison
  • released hcc with a host of problems of problems
  • based HALO 4 AROUND BTB HEAVIES
  • Introduced ordinance
  • indicator over flag/ball carrier
  • introduced flagnum
  • introduced automatic pick up of objective 
  • introduced throwing mechanic or oddball
  • made the maps enormous
  • introduced the mantis
  • ruined king of hill
  • were still stuck with active camo as a Armour ability
  • gave people a medal for everything 
  • can no longer drop the flag and do the flag run
  • openly admitting to catering to noobs and deliberately reducing the skill gap
  • implemented terrible spawn systems look at lock out and remember abandon
  • buffed the AR/SAW to the point where they were ridiculously over powered
  • 5 shot br
  • made halo a game where you no longer have to strategically move around the map                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      But wait theirs more he is going to add the following 
  • search and destroy
  • ground pound 
  • clamber
  • slide
  • aiming down sights
  • im fairly positive iv heard of a double jump mechanic
  • and who knows what else                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  my point is halo has no hope with this man in charge as he simply doesn't understand the community or the game, he is simply looking at other successful games and going oooooooooooh that's a good idea lets stick it in, I mean for god sake the game is no longer halo it plays nothing like the traditional trilogy and it is getting further away with every second he is in charge.
Btw id like to point im not saying he implemented everyone of those decisions but hes the one who has final say he is the one responsible for what goes in the game and what gets left out thats why im saying hes the issue as he clearly hasnt a clue what made halo the success that it was

I agree. I'd say sprint isn't as much of the issue as Kevin Franklin is. No offense to the guy, but just being honest.

Kevin Franklin has more fun playing Grifball than he would playing customs with MLG settings. There's nothing wrong with that again except when you're the Lead Designer of MP.

Guy needs to go. Get somebody else because they don't have a terrible team. I mean they got Bravo and some pros working there. I think they had somebody else who played more competitive shooters or competitive games in general(i don't even think it has to be Halo), that they would understand better and even if Spartan Abilities still existed, that they would at least be balanced.

Has there even been a decent Sonic game since Adventure 2?

I believe there are a few decent ones on the DS, such as Sonic Rush (still some BS dialogue in there, but gameplay is fun).

Back to Halo, I'd love for it to last another thirty years but it probably won't at this rate. 343i needs to take a step back; instead of trying to appease to casual gamers and fans of other shooters, they need to focus on perfecting the formula which made the original trilogy so popular. Instead of taking ideas from shooters such as CoD, which completely contrasts the idea of a fast-paced arena shooter, borrow ideas from actual arena shooters. Look at a game like Toxikk, and try incorporating a wall jump mechanic to improve verticality instead of clamber. Further increase the base movement speed, no need for shit like sprint. Build the game to be competitive by default; games such as LoL and CSGO are very competitive, and are still popular. And finally, no more of this "We hired people who hated Halo because of X" shit. Seriously.

Halo will last 30 years. As long as I keep my Xbox One in good shape and I can connect to other Xbox Ones (questionable). I'm gonna be playing that ish in the retirement homes.

H1 is the shit right now.