CyReN

Gear of War Discussion

Just finished the campaign (after completing GoW2 and 3 for the first time this past week).

Obviously spoilers:

Wasn't a big fan of how Act I and II were focused on killing robots although Acts III, IV and V made up with it with Swarm and Locust. 

All in all, a fun campaign but the ending was just... sudden. Didn't really feel huge compared to GoW2 and GoW3's ending. Almost felt like they cut something.

Great game, looking forward to GoW5.

Just finished the campaign (after completing GoW2 and 3 for the first time this past week).

Obviously spoilers:

Wasn't a big fan of how Act I and II were focused on killing robots although Acts III, IV and V made up with it with Swarm and Locust. 

All in all, a fun campaign but the ending was just... sudden. Didn't really feel huge compared to GoW2 and GoW3's ending. Almost felt like they cut something.

Great game, looking forward to GoW5.

Yeah, I think it'a safe to say that TC had to cut some part, the endig really felt a little sudden and I cant help it but I was sure that we get to play another flashback after the section at the Dam, when Marcus talks about his failed rescue mission but it never came... playing the campaign was a blast non the less!

the game really delivered what 343 doesn't even want to try, a true Gears experience (story- , gameplay-  and designwise) and I really hope TC does not start "reinventing the series" for gears 5 all the sudden...

The only thing that really needs to be re-done from ground up for the next game is the design of heavy enemies (Kastrell, Snatcher, Carrier, Pouncer) shooting bullets in their glowing bellies (engines in case of the Kastrell) for 5-10 minutes is getting kind of boring at times...

Is there a Team Beyond Gears equivalent in terms of forums/community? I think I'm going to take a dive into this.

This is a very good question I would like to know as well

Also

Idk if it's my internet or cause I'm rusty but the gnasher is inconsistent as hell for me. In a versus match I'll point blank someone only for them to turn around and chunk me. I'm surprised my neighbors in my apartment complex haven't filed noise complaints from my outbursts from raging when it happens lol

After returning the $100 version, I purchased the $60 version.  All of the issues I was having seem to be gone. I guess they were tied to population, or it was indeed a bug that they fixed in the 9.2 patch.  I was having issues with version 9.1.

Instead of just letting me download the small patch to go from 9.1 to 9.2, I had to re-download the entire game.  Sigh.   And, of course, it restarted at 69 gigs, so I really nearly re-downloaded it twice.  Good thing I don't have bandwidth caps.  I have a friend that downloaded the entire game 5 times. He said Microsoft is supposed to have a store update coming next week to fix issues.

Favorite map anyone? Relic honestly feels like an instant classic for me. Layout works great for escalation and it's gorgeous.

Dropshot is a little gimmicky IMO, like a better Hammer of Dawn.

The starting AR's seem a bit more powerful compared to previous titles, it eliminates the gnasher fest but it requires me to alter the way I play.

Is there an active reload limit now? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

These PC players are on a whole other level...I think I'm just going to be a Horde kid.

I heard the mouse controls are iffy, how do they feel for you?

I heard the mouse controls are iffy, how do they feel for you?

They felt off until I changed my FOV to 100 then it felt natural. The default key bindings are dumb though. I'm fucking wrecking with the Longshot now though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

They felt off until I changed my FOV to 100 then it felt natural. The default key bindings are dumb though. I'm fucking wrecking with the Longshot now though.

What key bindings didn't you like?  They seem ok to me, but its been a long time since i played KBM.

What key bindings didn't you like?  They seem ok to me, but its been a long time since i played KBM.

[space] as Sprint and not [shift] is like making shooting your gun on a controller the A button.

Only a cooldown, the white bar next to the ammo is the cooldown symbol and you can also active reload with a full clip in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dropshot is a little gimmicky IMO, like a better Hammer of Dawn.

The starting AR's seem a bit more powerful compared to previous titles, it eliminates the gnasher fest but it requires me to alter the way I play.

Only a cooldown, the white bar next to the ammo is the cooldown symbol and you can also active reload with a full clip in this game.

Also in case you didn't know it competitive mode has different weapon tuning compared to the other playlist

These PC players are on a whole other level...I think I'm just going to be a Horde kid.

Me too. And I'm fine with that.  Campaign coop and Hoard. I'll stick with OW to fill my competitive needs. 

Ok great! Will buy soon then :D

[space] as Sprint and not [shift] is like making shooting your gun on a controller the A button.

Oh yeah, see i didnt mind that since there is no true jumping in Gears and you use it for sprinting, mantling, diving into cover etc so i like the easier access.

Funny you should mention firing with a face button... because gears has a control scheme for that lol.  I wonder how many people actually use that....

that game is fun! Horde is incredibly addictive, even with radoms (finished my first 50 today) and the campaign is, despite it's flaws in terms of boss design, one of the most fun SP's you can get in recent years, I even started playing the campaign over again the day after I finished it the first time, something I haven't done in ages (I didn't even finish Reach, H4 or H5 a seccond time to this date..)

So how does one get good movement such as wall bouncing and canceling?  Are there any good tutorials out there so that I stop rolling at the worst possible time?

Does anyone here actually know how the ranking system works? Won 11 in a row dropping 30+ kills in almost ever game and I'm still silver 1, where i got placed.

Does anyone here actually know how the ranking system works? Won 11 in a row dropping 30+ kills in almost ever game and I'm still silver 1, where i got placed.

Ranking is a general enigma as of now, but there are a few things we do know:

The first point that is known is that the ranking doesn't update to show your place after each match. Adam Fletcher (TC community representative) said on Twitter that the ranks update each night for the matches played that day.

The second point is that your rank takes into account wins and losses as well as personal performance. I've seen reports of people doing well themselves and losing all day only to rank up. Personally, I've noticed that doing well in combination with winning will skyrocket a rank.