CyReN

Gear of War Discussion

Idk how I feel about the split in the core and competitive settings.

looking at H5, I really don't think it's the worst move that TC could have made...

• Upvote (+1) 1

looking at H5, I really don't think it's the worst move that TC could have made...

So, you think it is a good idea?

I think separating the casual (let's be frank and call the core settings what they are), from competitive is a good idea from a ranked perspective is good, but idk how it will play out with different weapon tuning. It would be weird if the core settings has much more aim assist and range/power for some weapons than in the competitive playlist. It would be very jarring to have more aim assist in one, then jump into competitive and have considerably less.

I also like competing in shooters like Halo/GoW and knowing my place in a consistent sandbox. I also think it's weird that competitive playlists will only have execution/escalation. I was hoping to see a playlist like Halo had that included all the modes with a rank included. Also, will the core playlists have ranks? Are we to take it that the competitive settings will only have ranks?

I was really excited for GoW4, but now I'm a bit hesitant.

I think separating the casual (let's be frank and call the core settings what they are), from competitive is a good idea from a ranked perspective is good, but idk how it will play out with different weapon tuning. It would be weird if the core settings has much more aim assist and range/power for some weapons than in the competitive playlist. It would be very jarring to have more aim assist in one, then jump into competitive and have considerably less.

I also like competing in shooters like Halo/GoW and knowing my place in a consistent sandbox. I also think it's weird that competitive playlists will only have execution/escalation. I was hoping to see a playlist like Halo had that included all the modes with a rank included. Also, will the core playlists have ranks? Are we to take it that the competitive settings will only have ranks?

This isn't 343 we're talking about. All signs point to The Coalition competently handling this franchise. I highly doubt that they will be using aim assist values to differentiate settings like 343 did for their ridiculously redundant sandbox to justify having 7 different weapons that basically do the same thing. They are almost certainly referring to damage values and possibly range/spread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This isn't 343 we're talking about. All signs point to The Coalition competently handling this franchise. I highly doubt that they will be using aim assist values to differentiate settings like 343 did for their ridiculously redundant sandbox to justify having 7 different weapons that basically do the same thing. They are almost certainly referring to damage values and possibly range/spread.

Did you read the blog post? Says Aim Assist clear as day.

Edit: Actually, the bit about Aim Assist has been removed from the post. Interesting.

Ah. Yep. It's still there. You're right. I'm wrong. Interesting. I'm still fully in favor of separate settings.

The Competitive category has different settings that have been balanced to take into account the high levels of coordination and skill that come with competitive play, toning down damage and reducing certain factors like Aim Assist to highlight the best from the rest.

Aim assist reduction across the board is fine by me, but it could certainly make going between the two a bit strange. I'm curious how that will feel and how noticeable it will be. Perhaps they will provide an option to use the competitive assist settings in "core" playlists?

Here's another good quote:

However, we found that what the serious competitive players wanted and what the core Gears players wanted were too different to try to make a single tuning set.

Madness.

I couldn't find that quote the second time I read it then. Geeze, those italics are brutal.

Anyway, Gears never had too much aim assist, or at least it wasn't noticeable (especially when firing from the hip). It looks like the competitive playlist will be all about the team shot, and that hints that going into that mode solo will be a death sentence.

I wish the focus would be on ranked and unranked modes with party restriction while the weapon balance remained consistent.

I think the intention behind it and the focus-testing they used to determine those settings makes sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see with regards to the actual execution.

sure if you're part of the group that is beeing catered to by those unified settings then it's a great thing...

the thing is, I don't really know much abuot comp. gears but the way I see it comp. settings are supposed to be closer to Gears 1 (less powerfull automatics and stuff)

I really like that TC tries to cater to older players as well...

I kinda expect it to be comparable to a Halo game that would offer H2/3 gameplay for casual play and HCE gameplay for comp. play, boy I'd probably burst into tears of joy, I mean sure, all HCE would be nice but it's a start at least...

I could be wrong though...

sure if you're part of the group that is beeing catered to by those unified settings then it's a great thing...

the thing is, I don't really know much abuot comp. gears but the way I see it comp. settings are supposed to be closer to Gears 1 (less powerfull automatics and stuff)

I really like that TC tries to cater to older players as well...

I kinda expect it to be comparable to a Halo game that would offer H2/3 gameplay for casual play and HCE gameplay for comp. play, boy I'd probably burst into tears of joy, I mean sure, all HCE would be nice but it's a start at least...

I could be wrong though...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of comp Gears and the settings that are going to be used in the comp playlist. My issue lies with the impact these split settings will have on the longevity and popularity of the game and the competitive support. I just think splitting the settings will be jarring for anyone that tries to play the competitive playlist and could alienate the competitive players by the core version being drastically different from the highest level of play. The idea of being a top player because you master the unified game is more appealing that having separate settings. At least, in my opinion. Looking at this I just see the core players and comp players in their own bubbles, and that isn't good for the game as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big supporter of comp Gears and the settings that are going to be used in the comp playlist. My issue lies with the impact these split settings will have on the longevity and popularity of the game and the competitive support. I just think splitting the settings will be jarring for anyone that tries to play the competitive playlist and could alienate the competitive players by the core version being drastically different from the highest level of play. The idea of being a top player because you master the unified game is more appealing that having separate settings. At least, in my opinion. Looking at this I just see the core players and comp players in their own bubbles, and that isn't good for the game as a whole.

Once agian, I#ve you part of the group that the game caters to, the idea of not spitting the settings is great

and I get it, everybody who has been around during the H5  release knows this discussion and I've been on your side but after a year of H5, I really don't think a game should scrafice it's integrity just to please some wannabe competitive fans...

If you're into competitive gaming, you will not be stopped by having to adapt to more competitive settings. TC actually acknowledges the needs of the competitive community while playing it safe for "casuals" (without moving to far away from its roots!) it's the best thing a dev can do at this point in the gaming industry! (you know it could have ended in the position Halo is now, maybe adopting the generic two-weapon systen, making the gnasher a pick up, buffen the lancer even further and adding shit like jet pack or wall running because we all know that enhanced mobility is the new cool toy everybody in the gaming industry loves now..)

TC is doing better fan service on one game then 343 has been doing in three...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Snip

Exactly. I'm not really a sports guy, but I would liken it to Flag (American) Football, versus the real deal. It seems like a lot of developers at this point take the path of undermining the hardcore viability of their game by catering the entire experience to the casuals or, in the case of Halo 5, creating an awful compromise on everything that isn't really what ANYONE wants. I think it's a really smart and proven approach to separate these significantly different expectations meaningfully. It makes it VERY clear who the skilled players are and it allows them to maintain a respectable, uncompromised competitive game without alienating the kinds of players that would complain about it being "too sweaty." 

The idea of being a top player because you master the unified game is more appealing that having separate settings.

I really don't get that at all. To me, having mastered the variation of the game that is clearly and explicitly the more difficult option is without question more appealing. Honestly, I don't even understand what the "unified game" has to do with the appeal. Mastery is satisfying because it's difficult and relatively few people can actually do it. Separate settings allow that bar to be respectably high without forcing casual players into that environment. The fact that they are very clearly delineating this makes it even better, as opposed to the relatively vague set-up in a game like Halo 3, where a ton of different settings and modes with wildly different practical skill requirements could all be ranked and look superficially to be equal. It very clearly spells out "This is where the skilled players are. This is what they are mastering. This is Gears 4 hard mode" It provides an effectively new experience from the "core" playlists for people that want to step up their game. As opposed to Halo 5, where the best we've managed to get in terms of "competitive settings" in match-making after 9 months is one playlist that removes most of the shitty maps and gametypes. We still have automatic spam, excessive bullet magnetism/aim assist, an under-powered utility weapon, excessive on-map weapon redundancy, motion tracker enabled, grenade hit-markers, spartan charge, sprint, etc. And why is that? Because the game balance is always half-way between the Warzone and HCS crowd.

Aside from the general notion that "unified mechanics" are somehow an inherent good, I honestly don't see any downside to meaningfully customizing game balance and mechanics to cater to the expectations of different communities.

Its been a while since I have played Gears but this past weekends tournament and now the announcement really have me excited about GoW in the future.  Hopefully it has some staying power, would love to see more Gears esports.