CyReN

Gear of War Discussion

Guys, the dissatisfaction with the game and TC is very valid. They've made a lot of mistakes that aren't apparent unless you have an ear to the ground with the Gears community. If you look from the outside in or casually play it, then you'll see that the gameplay hasn't strayed too far from the GoW formula, but there are a lot of aspect of the game and the studio that aren't likable.

They haven't shown much transparency with the community, the microtransactions and unlock model of the game is borderline shady, the hit registration is abysmal at most times, the weapon tuning split has caused a lot of controversy with the community, and so many features are missing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys, the dissatisfaction with the game and TC is very valid. They've made a lot of mistakes that aren't apparent unless you have an ear to the ground with the Gears community. If you look from the outside in or casually play it, then you'll see that the gameplay hasn't strayed too far from the GoW formula, but there are a lot of aspect of the game and the studio that aren't likable.

They haven't shown much transparency with the community, the microtransactions and unlock model of the game is borderline shady, the hit registration is abysmal at most times, the weapon tuning split has caused a lot of controversy with the community, and so many features are missing.

micro transactions arent gameplay affecting.

as for hit reg... i thought these were dedi servers?

micro transactions arent gameplay affecting.

as for hit reg... i thought these were dedi servers?

A lot of people argue that they are, especially in this era of gaming. I don't personally care about them, but a lot of the GoW community plays to unlock their favorite characters. They get really upset when their motivation to play the game is behind a layer of ridiculously low payout credits to have only a chance at unlocking it. Then, if you don't want to spend the time getting credits, you can just lay down the cash.

Yea, they are, but people sponging gnasher shots happens far too often. It's been such an issue that the last patch adjusted the amount of blood you see depending on if they pellets connected or not (however, we weren't told how the blood was adjusted which goes back to the transparency point).

It's a ridiculously fun game and I play it all the time, but the larger GoW community is very upset. Heck, the recent UIR packs fiasco had people up in arms.

Edit: Forgot to mention all the horde skills are behind the loot crate system.

Are people really complaining that much? The Coalition is actually a great DEV studio, all their patch work and release notes are great. And Gears 4 seems like a Gears game, nothing like the horrible transition of 3 to 4.

Go to the gears forums, they think TC is Satan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Next to Halo those problems sound like nothing. I wish we only had to worry about that

• Upvote (+1) 1

Next to Halo those problems sound like nothing. I wish we only had to worry about that

has 343 even done any actual weapon tuning changes on the primary weapons. such as br, dmr, pistol and ar? i dont think they have. this game just came out and they're open to weapon tuning... incredible.

has 343 even done any actual weapon tuning changes on the primary weapons. such as br, dmr, pistol and ar? i dont think they have. this game just came out and they're open to weapon tuning... incredible.

Nope.

Spartan charge buff.

Hydra buff.

Plasma caster buff.

Viola! Perfection!

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be frank, I "have my ear to the ground" and while I'm not generally a fan of the "entitled gamer" narrative, the majority of the people flipping their shit as if The Coalition have ruined the series are doing so for absolutely fucking ridiculous reasons (Facebook comments are 99% calling them greedy fucks for selling ANY cosmetic content, for example). Are they flawless? No, but maybe I'm just spoiled by 343's complete incompetence. They've made "a lot" of mistakes? Relative to what significant selection of perfect developers? Certainly not 343 Industries.

The unlock system is not good and, in particular, the random drops (with duplicates) in premium only eSports supporter packs is the furthest thing from driving the kind of community engagement they need for the long term. Unfortunately, it's difficult to correct this now, because they have to deal with the poor chumps who spent hundreds of dollars trying to get, say, a Black Steel Gnasher or something. 343's HCS packs were the right way to do this. The standard unlocks aren't exactly random because of the scrap and crafting system, but there is no such options for eSports items (duplicates of which you can break down for insultingly tiny amounts of scrap). They should want people proudly displaying these items in-game.

Core/Competitive split is problematic pretty much entirely because competitive tuning is good and core literally just feels like they made it bad for casual kids (like if Bungie started with MLG settings and then made every other playlist AR starts afterwards). That said, I would think they have better metrics than I do to determine the overall community opinions on this. Some people are clearly very upset that TC has gone out of their way to appeal to diverse set of expectations for core gameplay. Personally, I think they should stick to their guns with the most competitive tuning available across the board, but this is still better than 343 did with H5.

The ranking system is confusing and lack of party restrictions has much the same impact it has on any team-oriented game. Quitters have also been a major problem (not directly TC's fault and I hope their quit penalty system isn't an obnoxious PoS like 343's).

​And I'm willing to give them some leeway with some of this instead of shitting my pants like a lot of the GoW community has because the gameplay, visual style, sound design, game modes, maps, music, campaign, and so on is of extremely high quality and unquestionably Gears of War and their eSports presentation (support packs aside) is excellent.

Yea, they are, but people sponging gnasher shots happens far too often. It's been such an issue that the last patch adjusted the amount of blood you see depending on if they pellets connected or not (however, we weren't told how the blood was adjusted which goes back to the transparency point).

Your "transparency point" is ridiculous and this example in particular is laughable. Here is what the patch notes said on the matter.

Shotgun hit blood effects have received visual feedback improvements to relay damage dealt, allowing a better read of the percentage of damage done to an enemy. The more blood you see, the more damage you dealt.

Note: This visual feedback can only be seen by the player dealing the damage at this time (ie. a user observing your shotgun hits will see the old blood damage effects).

What further detail are they going to provide, exactly? Perhaps they could tell us how many blood particles are emitted per damage percentage? Perhaps they should post a code sample, just to be sure we get it. I mean, really. How the hell do you think this is "lack of transparency?" Maybe you should hold a certain other developer to this level of scrutiny.

They modified GoW4 weapon tuning in the very first title update.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be frank, I "have my ear to the ground" and while I'm not generally a fan of the "entitled gamer" narrative, the majority of the people flipping their shit as if The Coalition have ruined the series are doing so for absolutely fucking ridiculous reasons (Facebook comments are 99% calling them greedy fucks for selling ANY cosmetic content, for example). Are they flawless? No, but maybe I'm just spoiled by 343's complete incompetence. They've made "a lot" of mistakes? Relative to what significant selection of perfect developers? Certainly not 343 Industries.

The unlock system is not good and, in particular, the random drops (with duplicates) in premium only eSports supporter packs is the furthest thing from driving the kind of community engagement they need for the long term. Unfortunately, it's difficult to correct this now, because they have to deal with the poor chumps who spent hundreds of dollars trying to get, say, a Black Steel Gnasher or something. 343's HCS packs were the right way to do this. The standard unlocks aren't exactly random because of the scrap and crafting system, but there is no such options for eSports items (duplicates of which you can break down for insultingly tiny amounts of scrap). They should want people proudly displaying these items in-game.

Core/Competitive split is problematic pretty much entirely because competitive tuning is good and core literally just feels like they made it bad for casual kids (like if Bungie started with MLG settings and then made every other playlist AR starts afterwards). That said, I would think they have better metrics than I do to determine the overall community opinions on this. Some people are clearly very upset that TC has gone out of their way to appeal to diverse set of expectations for core gameplay. Personally, I think they should stick to their guns with the most competitive tuning available across the board, but this is still better than 343 did with H5.

The ranking system is confusing and lack of party restrictions has much the same impact it has on any team-oriented game. Quitters have also been a major problem (not directly TC's fault and I hope their quit penalty system isn't an obnoxious PoS like 343's).

​And I'm willing to give them some leeway with some of this instead of shitting my pants like a lot of the GoW community has because the gameplay, visual style, sound design, game modes, maps, music, campaign, and so on is of extremely high quality and unquestionably Gears of War and their eSports presentation (support packs aside) is excellent.

Your "transparency point" is ridiculous and this example in particular is laughable. Here is what the patch notes said on the matter.

What further detail are they going to provide, exactly? Perhaps they could tell us how many blood particles are emitted per damage percentage? Perhaps they should post a code sample, just to be sure we get it. I mean, really. How the hell do you think this is "lack of transparency?" Maybe you should hold a certain other developer to this level of scrutiny.

They modified GoW4 weapon tuning in the very first title update.

You're dense. I'm not going to respond to your entire post because, frankly, I'm sick of your shit.

Firstly, it makes no difference what 343 has done in relation to TC. Trying to white knight TC to push an agenda is, as you say, "laughable." Anytime you bring TC up is to bring it back to 343. Cool, compare it to whatever other dev, but it doens't change the fact that they're making mistakes with Gears.

At least you somewhat agree with unlocks. There's no way to slice it, they're the absolute worst. You can't release a time exclusive character packs that cost the amount of credits it takes days to earn, price them at 10 bucks, and make them available for a day. You simply can't. It is an an awful method.

With weapon tuning: again, you just have to bring 343 in. No one cares what 343 is doing in relation to Gears. I get that you're so engulfed in talking about 343's incompetence whenever you can. Still doesn't mean TC has a very unhappy playerbase in terms of weapon tuning, a ranking system that doesn't function in any way a ranking system should, failed network structure that drops players before games so they can't implement quit penalties.

Now, for your transparency garbage. This tells me you have little experience with the game. Either that or you aren't sure what you're looking for. Before TU2, blood splatters would show a default amount regardless where an enemy is shot. if you only connected half the pellets, then the blood would splatter as if you hit center mass. They say they change it to show visual feedback. Okay, great, but they leave us hanging in the wind with the issue players had a beef with, and that's blood showing when part of the shot misses (which players are still complaining and uncertain about). To close your post, you again bring up 343. I don't care what 343 is doing in this post. I care what is happening with GoW4. Your entire post is trying to spin TC as a great developer while putting another down, and to do so you're trying to make issues with GoW seem minuscule.

• Downvote (-1) 1

*Triggered*

lol. I bring up 343 because you are a regular apologist for their stupidity (and this is, primarily, a Halo forum), but act like The Coalition making a few smaller mistakes (which they have largely acknowledged and worked to address) justifies members of their community throwing tantrums and flinging their metaphorical shit like a bunch of monkeys. Not to mention the fact that the last time you made these exact claims was in response to people being happy about their management of Gears eSports, where was it? Oh, right: in the HCS THREAD.

Please point me to the sentence where I said these issues are "miniscule" (hint: I did not). Yes, the unlock system is shit. The ranking system is questionable (and needs some form of queue separation/party restrictions). The tuning split is arguably flawed (to be clear, I think Core tuning is awful). These two factors have a fairly significant impact on my desire to play, because the only playlist where I can get good tuning and NOT be fucked by lack of teamwork in solo queue is Execution. Little experience with the game? Nope. Fuck off.

My gripes with the game are:

1.Worthless ranking system...yet again we have a half assed ranking system that doesn't do much for competitive players.

2. Terrible customization system. They helped by increasing credit payouts but right now all new content usually releases with an unfair amount of credits needed to purchase or for real money. Also we keep getting skins for JD and Kait and these horrible color blast skins but where are the additional characters?

3. Season pass absolutely useless. If they were more transparent about the season pass dlc and maps becoming free for everyone in matchmaking...i may not have purchased it.

4. No permanent crossplay yet. I really think TC is going to make the decision to permanently enable it but right now PC players can't stand being left out. I refuse to play on xbox when I have a 1070 that blows this game out of the water. The improved graphics and frame rates along with a gsync monitor are just not comparable and playing on xbox feel like this cheap port.

With all that though I feel this game was a success. It feels like a true sequel to gears 3 as far as gameplay goes and for that I'm happy. They just need to make these adjustments soon because its 3 months in and we have no idea when any of this is coming. I can't stand the "stay tuned" line anymore.

How is the competitive community for this gam doing? I haven't really been following it too closely. Are they pulling good numbers? 

I think it's funny that the same moves and strats i would do in gears 1 that didnt seem to work because of the slot machine gnasher... suddenly seem to work in gears 4 lol....

I wish the instant replay feature with nvidia cards would work in this game

I'm new to this thread so I'm sure this has been discussed but does it bother anyone else that "competitve" only has one game mode? I feel like I'm watching strongholds being played over and over again. Why have they not also introduced the old death match system? I thought it was really cool in the old games.

So I'm thinking of learning to play Gears and am looking for people to play with. I'm going to be bad right now, definitely still learning. But if anyone wants to play feel free to hit me up.

My GT is Silos911