CyReN

Gear of War Discussion

The stars aligned for Gears. Envyus and OpTic Gaming will be facing off Sunday. The two biggest names in console esports. I'm sure Hecz will be looking for revenge after COD Champs. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The stars aligned for Gears. Envyus and OpTic Gaming will be facing off Sunday. The two biggest names in console esports. I'm sure Hecz will be looking for revenge after COD Champs. 

Optic and Envyus have been going at it in many different games now. Super exciting!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Optic and Envyus have been going at it in many different games now. Super exciting!

First CoD then Halo and then Gears and soon CS:GO on national TV! It's lit! 

Bought gears and a couple esports packs just because I enjoyed watching today's mlg invitational so much. I've never played gears before but look forward to getting into it whenever I get some free time.

Perhaps more importantly though, I opened a new dedicated tab in my phone browser for this thread which is how I keep up with the HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly, watching the sustained hype created by Escalation just makes me even more annoyed that 343 thought Breakout was a good idea.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Bump for threads sake.

How about the 2k yesterday, anyone see any good teams they liked beside the usual

finished the campaign. that ending was not very satisfying. overall i thought the whole thing was pretty fun though.

Been too busy playing and watching their tourneys to post.

There's a lot that can be said about this game, but it would probably be filling blank space here as it doesn't seem anyone is interested.

I guess? I was hoping there would be some tourney discussion. Wish we had a Gears Pro Circuit thread. 

I guess? I was hoping there would be some tourney discussion. Wish we had a Gears Pro Circuit thread. 

That would be nice. I tune in to their fight nights, and this weekend's tourney had been very high quality. Optic/nV play shortly. Optic is certainly the best team right now, but the gap between them and other teams isn't that large.

What do you think about Escalation being the only mode? I would love to see a format with Escalation being the first two matches, then Execution being a tie-breaker for the third game. That would offer some great clutch moments.

That would be nice. I tune in to their fight nights, and this weekend's tourney had been very high quality. Optic/nV play shortly. Optic is certainly the best team right now, but the gap between them and other teams isn't that large.

What do you think about Escalation being the only mode? I would love to see a format with Escalation being the first two matches, then Execution being a tie-breaker for the third game. That would offer some great clutch moments.

I don't know I feel that would be meta breaking. CS:GO is one mode for a reason. If they want escalation being the only mode they need to make the meta for each map deep and rich so like in CS:GO teams develop a map "pool" of strategies they use for each map. Personally I feel Escalation is a bit too basic for a single game mode. It's practically Halo's Strongholds with power weapon placement (which is interesting) and an interesting meta in terms of how to accumulate points. 

Bought Gears 4 during the black friday sale. Only played 4 games of TDM but had fun. I played a bit of Gears 3, but have never been to good with the series. If anyone is down to play and possibly help a new guy learn the ropes, add me! GT is Bromajaro

Also after buying the game I checked out some of the tourney that's going on too, and it seems rather high quality and enjoyable. Escalation is definitely a fun watch for me, wouldn't mind seeing more gametypes thrown in like Execution for variety and clutch moments like suggested above.

I've been following competitive GoW4 consistently. I just haven't posted here because no one else has, lol. The Columbus Open was hype af.

I don't know I feel that would be meta breaking. CS:GO is one mode for a reason. If they want escalation being the only mode they need to make the meta for each map deep and rich so like in CS:GO teams develop a map "pool" of strategies they use for each map. Personally I feel Escalation is a bit too basic for a single game mode. It's practically Halo's Strongholds with power weapon placement (which is interesting) and an interesting meta in terms of how to accumulate points. 

Well, it's clearly more complex than Strongholds. Weapon placements, moving hills, and "escalating" respawn times force a lot of strategic evolution as each game progresses. As for the possibility of Execution making a return, I don't think that would add anything that Escalation doesn't already cover. As I think even casters have pointed out, a lot of slowing down and waiting for the perfect push happens as the respawns get extremely long in rounds 6, 12 and 13 in particular. Making the comparison to H5, slayer is easily the worst mode in the game and an awful tie breaker, as far as I'm concerned and I'm really not sure what kind of mode would add anything to what GoW4 currently has. Maybe an assym mode? But then GoW4 only features symmetrical maps. Eh. I think Escalation is one of the best new competitive modes I've seen in a long time.

Anyone here play gears regularly? Still not too good but it's taken on Halo 5s spot as my most played game lately. Definitely need people to run with!

Still play but absolutely refuse to play this on Xbox unless crossplay becomes permanent. Its trash compared to PC.

Still play but absolutely refuse to play this on Xbox unless crossplay becomes permanent. Its trash compared to PC.

0jJMjQZ.jpg

They did a crossplay weekend, I hope they do enable it fully.

Crossplay weekend was really fun. I ran into a bunch of PC players and ended up doing very well against them. Got a message from a PC guy saying, "You console guys don't eff around!" The PC players were generally very nice and fun to play with and against. I hope crossplay does get put in for the social playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Been enjoying this game, i got it for xmas. Probably the the best gears game ever made. Strange how it took them this many releases to finally get what gears 1 should have been.

Been enjoying this game, i got it for xmas. Probably the the best gears game ever made. Strange how it took them this many releases to finally get what gears 1 should have been.

Really fun, isn't it? There are a lot of complaints that could be made, and the game isn't perfect, but the core gameplay feels great.

Edit: The next title update and maps should be teased today, so keep an eye out!

For the life of me I can't understand why gears fans hate this game and the coalition

Are people really complaining that much? The Coalition is actually a great DEV studio, all their patch work and release notes are great. And Gears 4 seems like a Gears game, nothing like the horrible transition of 3 to 4.

For the life of me I can't understand why gears fans hate this game and the coalition

I dont play the game on an esports level... i do enjoy the competitive playlists, but gameplay wise... the game is what the original vision of gears was... just never designed correctly... this is all my opinion.

anyone who still enjoys gears1 slot machine gnasher fights are just flat out dumb.

If i could change one thing... i dont like having to leave thru menus to start another search for competitive playlists.