Proto

Official Iron Gaming Columbus 2014 Feedback Thread

Besides the downtime due to the tech issues, I didn't think it was that bad.

The audio could use some work. The ads were really loud and the first day had a lot of problems. I'm glad they worked the majority of it out though in the end.

The analysis desk was hit and miss. Sometimes it was a little informative while other times it was just the same stuff we already heard from the game casters. I think that is just a caster pairing problem though. The less informed casters should be paired with the more knowledgeable ones.

A minor issue was the main stage wasn't really impressive from a viewer's perspective. We only saw the side angle and it just looked like any other station with some lights added to it. The location seemed odd as well, but that was probably due to the limited view of the layout. Something to block off our view behind the stage would probably be better. The lighting was also pretty dark and it was hard to make anybody out. Not sure if it was just on my end though for that.

The visuals for some of the POV's was different than others (some were too dark). I guess that's a capture card settings issue from what people have been saying.

More player interviews would be good.

The chat needs more mods. Some people were spamming the same stuff for 10-15 minutes.

Alright serious feedback time.

First of all, I must say that I really enjoyed the event even though there was a lot of downtime. But that wasn't IG's fault.

The thing that I would like to see added and that is to all events are playercams. What is even more hype than listening to some trashtalk during a listen in or see a player go off, well it would be even more hype to see their facial expressions. I remember Pistola talking trash to Optic? Saying something along the lines of 'YOU GUYS ARE GETTING DEMOLISHED!!!' would've been awesome to see his facial expression with that.

A second thing that I would like to see happen is that Mrs Violence just gets booted from the mic. She didn't add anything to the event and her knowledge of Halo was lacking. Maybe harsh, but true.

Third would be to give casters a backup plan when they need to improvise on the spot due to e.g. Technical difficulties. I remember when Frank and Dmaq were casting and there were suddenly some technical difficulties they didn't know what to do. So they just went on to talk about things that they talked about, litterally. A backup plan would be something like a list of things to talk about, or montages that can be shown. Beyond's top 5's etc

That brings up my fourth point which would be to optimize caster duo's. Some casters just work better with one than another. The example of Dmaq and Frank for example didn't work imo.

Fifth point would be the final interview with the winners. Haven't seen the ending, but heard that there was no interview.

Sixth point would be to add more veteran players to the booth for casting. I really enjoyed T2 casting. Could you imagine someone like Ogre 2 dropping knowledge bombs with Walshy?! Although the balance between hyping the viewers up and dropping them knowledge bombs need to be just right, don't know if Walshy can cast in a 'hype' way.

That's it. Great event and am looking forward to UGC now!

• Upvote (+1) 1

The event was really entertaining, H2A is overall very fun to watch.

Most of the problems have already been brought up, I just want to know if anybody is currently working on official forge maps for H2A because we really need more maps to play on, and if somebody is actually forging those maps, when will we get access to them?

Maybe I'm alone with this opinion but I do not find listen-ins particularly interesting. All you hear is a bunch of guys screaming "TOP MID TOP MID ONE SHOT". The only time I like listen-ins is when there is a stand-off and you can hear the team trying to assemble a push.

This ties in with my main complaint. Doing "play-by-play" or trying to "hype the audience" to me personally is pointless.

"Filler" style commentating needs to go - Sentences like "(CLG/EG/insert team name here) communication was on point" "Team x is now leading by y kills .. no by 6 kills ... no by 4 kills"  I dont need commentary of what I can see with my own eyes, and I don't need Bravo trying to get me hyped for a double kill clean up kill. If something amazing happens on the screen I am watching I will notice.

The whole CLG-EG series had me on the edge of my seat just by the fact of how close the matches are, no need to build artificial hype.

What the casters in my opinion need to do is provide information on what you can't see on the screen. This is why I think Walshy did such a great job. He explained strategies and why certain players did certain things during the game even if it wasn't directly apparent why just from seeing it on stream. T2 also did a good job for the same reason as Walshy, and I think they should really make all of the casters up their Halo wisdom so they can provide insight outside of "Slaying in Flag is only good if you can capture a flag" and similiar.

Other than that I enjoyed the event and some of the amazing matches I saw.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I thought that UGC did pretty well, but there were something things that could have been improved. The first day was hard to watch because matches last two hours and there were generally 2 games played. I'd have liked to see more from the other station so that viewers aren't sitting there watching players talk to each other while dubstep blares. The music was nice, welcome in fact, but combine it with warm up gameplay or something. Viewers spent too much time waiting for games to start. Sunday was the best, but even then the games would start like 30 seconds in because the announcers or commercial would run too long. 

There was a lot that was good about this event, despite the technical issues. BTH having to restart when having full map control, weapon control, and the lead should not happen after two previous restarts. These restarts killed a couple of series, so doing more to prevent them in the future is crucial to the tournament outcome. Sometimes there really isn't anything that you can do though, and I understand that.

I thought the majority of the casters were great. I would like to see a little more hype from Bravo, Walshy, Goldenboy, etc. for the sake of hyping the game up. You know what I'm talking about.... Be more Chris Puckett, but keep getting the gameplay discussion right like you have been doing.

The giveaway to the kid was one of my favorite parts. He was so happy to get a working XB1 and copy of Halo. I doubt that he even realized who handed him the xbox (Walshy). Do more of that if you can.

Here are my suggestions:

• Keep a pattern for how you run each game like: commentate, commercials (3-4), intro to games, first game, commentate and discuss with analysis, second game, analysis, 1-2 commercials, quick announcer feedback, 3rd game, quick analysis 4th game, and if there's a fifth throw one commercial in for the sponsors. Have the outro, interview the winning team. Discuss upcoming game.
  • Have a voting pool to keep viewers engaged.
  • If there are less teams, try to give them Bo5 instead of Bo3. This should have been the case all tournament with longer games and continuation series on WBF, LBF, and Finals.
  • Bring more captains and popular players during their off time.
  • Have the warm up station off of the main stage so that players are basically good to go. This will make a faster transition.
  • Show more people who aren't top 10 teams. Yes, everyone wants to see the best play and they will. Teams that pay and travel deserve to get some air time once they are getting higher placings. Mix this up so that it's lower team, bigger team, lower team, bigger team, etc. Doing this will also help newer players break out and get used to being watched and the pressure.
  • The giveaways were great. Huge following and response. That was very good.
  • Have a winner's interview. That didn't happen at all and an interview with the MVP.
  • Keep track of players and their twitter. Let everyone in the chat know who's playing, etc. This lets viewers and other players follow each other, grows the community in some way.
  • Talk or display quick bio of players who are well known. Let new players know who these guys are, etc.
  • Have controllers connect directly to the XB1s so players in the crowd aren't turning wireless controllers on and causing issues for main stage players.
  • Have as many sponsors get interviews so that they feel like they're really included. All the shout outs were great, and the one or two interviews I saw were good, but try to do as much as possible. Show off their stuff, like the chairs. Those look great and Ms. Violence talked a lot about them. Hype up their merchandise. 
  • Maybe give ending stats or post links about who had the most hill time, highest k/d, most kills, most bomb plants, most flag caps. Let people see what these players are doing for the team off of the screen. This is easy to track. You see the refs recording stats after the games anyways.
  • Make sure the VOD is available soon as possible, including games of the main stage.

This is all I have off of the top of my head. Can't wait for the next tournament.

My biggest issue with the event was the audio mixing, particularly between games/matches. I constantly had to turn the volume up and down depending on what was going on.

That little H2A signature that played at the end of every extended break was WAY too loud.

What was the biggest view count you guys saw?

I saw 19k myself but I've been told that 20k was the peak, which, IMO is not bad for the first HCS tourney.

It happened during the Optic/EG matchup. The peak stream numbers, if you're paying attention, will always be during an Optic match.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also this is more of a HCS thing, but I'm gonna say it here anyway because I feel it fits.

More stream and HCS promotion. Just ads, tweets and shoving it down peoples throats to the point that they finally tune in. I read about the viewer numbers for the Global Championships and it's obvious those numbers are due to promotion of the event.

When you load up MCC you should get one of those popups about a HCS event, would also be great if you could go straight to watching it on the Twitch App from the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On the whole, the tournament was really entertaining given the 3 map situation.  I would just like to provide a critique on the casting as I feel it hasn't gotten any better... like, ever.

The main issue with casting respawn gametypes on an FPS title is that they are so fast paced.  When you look at a game of LoL, the casters get excited when someone gets a kill, but that's because games average maybe 20-30 kills per 35 minute game.  One of my main issues with the play-by-play casting style in Halo is that people get a kill or die every 5 seconds.  To me, the key is to calm down and not comment on every single kill that happens on screen.  Imagine an NBA caster going wild every time a team makes a layup.  And please, for God's sake, stop reading the specific score in a fast-paced slayer game; it changes so quickly and is mere filler to avoid real casting.  I find this problem most prevalent with Bravo and Goldenboy.  Some of the absolute best commentating I've ever seen on Halo is when Walsh (and even sometimes Dmaq) would offer insight into the players' decisions and strategies.

Let's go back to LoL, the only other competitive game I play and watch.  I know for a fact that a great number of their LCS casters are diamond level players.  They also study the game and form well constructed analyses to discuss when it is relevant to the game.  I highly doubt that any of our casters watch MOBA or RTS casters, but that's where they should be looking.

This is easier said than done, however, because Halo is a much faster game than most other eSports games, and it's not big enough to hire full time casters.  It is also a lot simpler, so creativity is a must.  Oh yeah, and try to crack a joke every now and then.  We're here to have fun.  Script some jokes if you need.  Goldenboy and Bravo are both funny guys and have great speaking abilties, they just need to loosen up a bit.

TLDR;  talk slower, less play-by-play, more analysis.

Also, A+ on the flythrough.  It adds so much professionalism to the stream, and even I could make them.  Keep it up.

To much downtime and WAY to many technical issues.  How can you mess up a LAN?  

Besides that, I think they need more analysis about previous matches instead of interviews that have nothing to do with the current match.  When you are watching a football game and its halftime, they breakdown the 1st half stats and big plays, they dont interview the QB from some other team.

• Downvote (-1) 4

Definitely a great weekend of competitive Halo. The peak viewership was just shy of 20k this weekend. Great for a first official HCS LAN. The IG Staff did a bang up job putting on an entertaining series. 

What they did right

1. Commentating. I feel like there were a lot of great people who were put in the booth to cast games
  2. Graphics and stream uptime was great. There was one portion where the stream went offline but other than that it was solid.
  3. The sponsors were great. Nice to see DXRacer chairs on the mainstage and it seemed that the players enjoyed it as well
  4. Transitions were mainly smooth, with very little hiccups
  5. Walshy

Things to improve

1. No disrespect to Mrs Violence, but I would not have her on air doing player interviews. It was clear she was unfamiliar with tournaments and the game
  2. As stated by others, downtime was too inconsistent. I understand a 5-10 minute delay between matches and then a 15-20 between series, but at times even in between games was too much
  3. The analysis after each match could be improved a bit. I know it's a little leg work in the booth, but a quick re-cap of stats in a graphic would be awesome. Maybe even an interview by players would be great as well
  4. Someone else mentioned this, but if the stream could not start at 10am with a big named match, the viewership would improve. 
  5. Twitch Mods. You guys need more of them, I didn't see the room go to slow mode until Sunday. Also a separate space for giveaways would be great as well. #IGSCUF
  6. After this I'm sure you guys will get better caster duo's but Walshy and Bravo are a good mix. I know people love Goldenboy, but personally I would rather see him do post game interviews or something different. I know his talents can be used at other spaces
  7. Mainstage in my opinion need to look a lot more professional. It was fine, but I feel like it could be a little bit more polished. Something like MLG mainstage back in the day.
  8. Audio levels. Several times the IG HCS promo scared the crap out of me when I wasn't entirely paying attention during downtime.
  9. Overall HCS needs more maps and gametypes. Watching three maps and gametypes in rotation was a little boring at times.

All in all a great event and kudos to you guys for staying on top of things. The decision on the EG v Str8 thing definitely upp'd the credibility of your organization. Looking forward to more!

• Upvote (+1) 2

On top of that, that Dmaq guy was probably the most obnoxious person I've ever seen cast a game. While I understand that some people may find him funny, he is one of the most unprofessional casters/analysts I've ever witnessed. He knew nothing about the game and honestly made the entire event a joke. If you guys are serious about Halo coming back to the eSports scene, then the analysts need to be better prepared and actually be able to talk about the games. 

This is exactly what I came here to say.  I think Goldenboy, Bravo, Walshy, and Valen did a good job casting.  Goldenboy also seemed to be a bit too unprofessional at times.  I get that it is a gaming event, and you want to keep things light, but sometimes it got out of hand.

Also, I think next tournament we should keep a count of how many times Goldenboy or Bravo say some variation of the word "unfortunate".  It drives me nuts.

Other issues have already been pointed out, but the the audio and video normalization issues are huge.

- Test everything before going live on Friday. I appreciate that testing everything would be impossible but the quality of the production was kind of horrific; the audio levels were all over the place mainly.

- Relax with the plugs. We all appreciate you have bills to pay when hosting an event; but telling me every game to buy jerky is frustrating.

- Organize 'giveaways' better. Giving away promotional items is cool but not announcing them when agreed or having a link to some form of rules was frustrating the Twitch chat. And please no more #hashtags for the twitch chat as it turns into a spam fest.

- Better downtime music. No one liked the music played .... all a taste thing i guess

- Gametypes please. I'm assuming 343 are behind this but we NEED more than 3 maps; it's so boring to watch back to back maps; we appreciate 343 want to show of the maps but let some of these forge maps have a chance

- More pros should commentate during free time. T2 commentated one game and his in-depth knowledge made it worth listening too; granted it will be hard to pros to do this every game but it's worth it.

Who ever was behind IronGaming should watch the GFinity Event from two weeks ago (maybe three now) the production quality was leaps and bounds ahead.

I was only able to catch a few matches on Friday and Sunday afternoon but I'll offer my 2cents.

What I thought was good

• Stream quality improved leaps and bounds from Friday to Sunday.
  • Commentating was on point.
  • I loved the analysis desk. Was a neat little idea even though it could use some fine tuning.

What was not so good (with some suggestions to fix it)

• Downtime. If there are ever "technical difficulties" please don't stop entertaining the audience. HCS hype vids, Top plays, Pro Player spotlights, Team Spotlights, Interviews etc. are some of the things that can fill the gap in between matches.
  • Gameplay graphics. I only had 2 complaints about the graphics from this event.
  •        1. (very small) Please don't make me have to think about what color team a player is on. Look at MLG's old (2008-2010) graphic, they had the team color behind the players name. An issue that is very nitpicky but an issue nonetheless. 
  •        2. I may have missed it but please put the match round in the graphic somewhere. Kind of frustrating having to find the bracket to figure out the match.
  • Sound was off at times.
  • More Pro Player commentary

Some things I would like to see added

• In the gameplay graphic, it would be cool to have an updater on matches around the venue/ news update. Possibly similar to a bar at the bottom of the screen like ESPN has. I believe AGL had it. IG could also promote sponsors there. 
  • I think team intro vids would be cool. Now that we have gameplay and stats, its certainly possible (see MLG 2011).
  • I think that in general, HCS promotion should be increased. Whether it be HCS logo on the graphic, more hype vids, or on the commentators desk. I think that there should be more HCS exposure/info because the players are playing for more than an IG tournament win.  

Also this is more of a HCS thing, but I'm gonna say it here anyway because I feel it fits.

More stream and HCS promotion. Just ads, tweets and shoving it down peoples throats to the point that they finally tune in. I read about the viewer numbers for the Global Championships and it's obvious those numbers are due to promotion of the event.

When you load up MCC you should get one of those popups about a HCS event, would also be great if you could go straight to watching it on the Twitch App from the game.

This. 

You're my favorite poster of the month.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I saw 19k myself but I've been told that 20k was the peak, which, IMO is not bad for the first HCS tourney.

It happened during the Optic/EG matchup. The peak stream numbers, if you're paying attention, will always be during an Optic match.

I wouldnt really use those number to be indicative of "Halo" - It pretty much was the power of just a single Nadeshot tweet. Afterwards it went right back down to 5-9k

Forgot to add this the other day - but I know some of the shots of the mainstage showed some Smash Bros being played in the background. I wouldn't mind seeing those games being streamed during the downtime - even if it's just people playing for fun. It would at least be something to watch and is a game a lot of people - myself included - enjoy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is exactly what I came here to say.  I think Goldenboy, Bravo, Walshy, and Valen did a good job casting.  Goldenboy also seemed to be a bit too unprofessional at times.  I get that it is a gaming event, and you want to keep things light, but sometimes it got out of hand.

Also, I think next tournament we should keep a count of how many times Goldenboy or Bravo say some variation of the word "unfortunate".  It drives me nuts.

Other issues have already been pointed out, but the the audio and video normalization issues are huge.

Hey, I would love an example of this. 

EDIT: It cracks me up when I read that I'm too professional one day and then see that I'm too unprofessional the other.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would have liked to see more shots of the team while playing. Like what they did for Halo 4 global championship. When they switch to a player would be cool to have a small video feed on the screen of the player while he is playing with his name. That way new comers can more identify with who they are watching and get to know the players much easier then just seeing a gamertag. Plus every time I hear a player screaming in the background I want to see whats going on. See their reactions. 

Hey, I would love an example of this. 

EDIT: It cracks me up when I read that I'm too professional one day and then see that I'm too unprofessional the other.

Must be the wutface.

Seriously though.... I too would like to hear an example... I watched the whole weekend and didn't see anything out of you that was unprofessional or even close to it..... Mrs. Violence though....well that's another story.

I think Bravo and Golden boy are the best casters out of the bunch. It was nice to change it up with the pros casting but a lot of time they would just ramble on about things and not focus on what just happened in the game. There could be a very exciting moment and the pro would still be talking about some shit they brought up 10 mins ago. Bravo and GB know how to hype up what we are seeing and that is important in casting. A lot of the times a sports play dose not seam very exciting with out the caster going crazy over the play.