Proto

Official Iron Gaming Columbus 2014 Feedback Thread

I enjoyed the amount of castors at the event.  The is something I think more events need to follow. 

I didn't like how much downtime there was between matches.  With only 40 teams competing, this tournament could have been done in a day if there had not been a large amount of times between games.  I suggest to minimize the downtime as well as fill it with other content besides ads and commercials.  I would have loved to see some montages or highlight videos from the Beyond editing team thrown in during the downtime.  

I would have also loved to see an FFA and 2v2 portion as well, but I don't know it the HCS rules would allow that.

Other than that, great event!

Ads During The Stream

Did anyone else read this as...

nevermind.

ON TOPIC: Gametype Feedback - Sanc spawning needs to be slightly adjusted and Lockdown Shotgun should either be replaced with OS in Green Hall or an OS Top Mid.

Great tournament, excited for UGC.

I stopped by the event. All the casting I heard was excellent, especially from Goldenboy, Bravo and Frank - very entertaining.

The venue and setup was actually really nice, comfortable seating (they had leather couches and chairs) super limited, but I was able to snag a seat haha.

Couldnt really stay for very long but it was solid.  I didnt catch any of the stream though so I have no input on that.

I personally think the main stage could of used some more love; two teams face to face (which has its positives) with no divider except the monitors and a piece of cardboard was just kind of tacky to me. The way the seating was situated and angles for camera's that were not taken advantage of could of proved to increase the quality of the stage presence. Though I do understand the scope and scale of this new tournament experiment and applaud Iron Gaming for being able to get it together to the degree that they did.

Also, those fans gotta step their game up. We need some hype guys out there or something because those spectators were acting dead!

Most surprising part of the event for me was that Valen was actually very good. I can't recall how he was before but I was so excited about all the other casters it caught me off guard that Valen was doing incredible with both analysis and casting. 

Kudos to him.

Dmaq at every event, for every game though from now on. IMO.

Some tidbits

• Stream improved a lot from Day 1
  • Props for IG for not making EG replay for Str8, would have tainted the weekend
  • Control ads better, cut casters off a fair amount
  • Get better audio levels in the future, quite a difference from Game to Casters to Analyst Desk
  • Wasn't sure about DMAQ and Lan Valen going in, both did awesome
  • If possible, avoid big matches at 10am. Hurts viewers and me wanting to get up that early on the weekend
  • At times the sponsor plugs felt a big forced (I can understand with the technical issues and needing time though).
  • Can't really put technical delays on IG, game/console has serious issues at time. Hope 343/MS fixes.
Overall I enjoyed the tournament a lot, so many good matches. Can't wait for UGC.

- More Maps (Please 3 maps is so boring to watch as a spectator, be creative don't remake)

- Casting was good, Analysis was meh but it's the first event

- Less downtime (Please fix this shit microsoft)

- Change Lockout, only time standoffs are good/entertaining is when the score is coming down to 5 kills left and the pace slows down. Not when there are 12 minutes left in the game and nobody is moving when it's 1-0 or something like that. 

- The venue looked small but the "mainstage" seemed like another station. Hopefully it can be bigger at future events with the area

- Overall pretty good first event, but definitely has room to improve. 

Didn't watch much but this is just some of what I've noticed. 

1.) The quality was actually poor in the most traditional category: graphics. H2A's contrast was messed up on certain VODs due to the capture card settings.

2.) The rules were questionable. I do not think a full restart for technical issues--prevalent in MCC--is the most competiive way of running a tournament. When there are known issues, you end the game, but keep scores on a situational basis. I will even use CoD as an example: in Ghosts when there was the bomb glitch in SND, they did not restart the whole game but just the round. Obviously the round based gametype makes it easier to manage, but I don't see how a full restart of CTF was needed when CLG got 1 legit cap and then issues happened.

3.) Mechanical issues such as having the players not play on their pseudonyms/GTs is detrimental to the viewing experience. I don't know the full story here as to how it happened, but frankly it doesn't matter. A possible solution is once again, do what CoD does, (sry for the CoD analogies) and create the gamertags the players will be using before the tournament (example: Flamesword US). This way the players don't have to remember their information.

More later. I really did enjoy the event though!

Why the fuck is the most important part of the whole stream not available through the past broadcasts on their twitch channel? I wasn't able to watch it live, so I watched all of losers bracket finals on their channel through the past broadcasts, and then it fucking cuts out on Lockdown TS during EG vs CLG, BASICALLY THE ONLY THING I WANTED TO SEE, and I can't fucking watch the rest of it. Huge disappointment. EVERY OTHER MATCH HAS BEEN AVAILABLE THROUGH THE PAST BROADCAST SECTION. Just ruined the entire tournament for me...I've been avoiding all Halo stuff for the whole day and then it just cuts off and I can't even watch it. Pissed. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Better casting please

More listen in

And the downtime is just atrocious in between matches. I seriously watched 2 games in the span of 2 1/2 hours.  This is absolutely unacceptable.  and a prime reason why (some) people will not come back to watch again.

Also, I agree that Mrs. Violence was clueless, however she was not the only one - I will leave it at that.

If anyone can link me to a rebroadcast without spoiling I'd really appreciate it, the one on twitch just cuts out during Winners Bracket for some reason. Trying to not waste all the time I put into watching the LB rounds by just having to look at the results without being able to watch it. Thanks. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

More Walshy, more Dmaq, and HCS maps need to implement static timers asap not least because it will give the casters something much more concrete to talk about as far as weapon timers go. Oh and if the imbalance on Sanc Bomb could be patched up via Forge that would be sweet too.

Otherwise the only issue I had was the downtime and technical issues, which hopefully will improve as TOs get more experienced at running Xbox One events. Even if some of the time is filled with interviews, more analysis, or highlight reels it would go some way to reducing the boredom viewers feel between series that could lead to them dropping out of the stream.

Really? When was that? Most i seen was like 7200. I did always have it full screened on my second monitor though...

It was around 13.5k during the finals. 

I think the casting could be a lot better. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch any games Walsh casted but I've heard pretty positive feedback about him. Plus he's always killed it in the past.

Goldenboy and Bravo really need to tone it down in my opinion. I don't need verbal confirmation that X team is up by X kills every time someone dies. I can literally see that at the bottom of the screen. I don't need to know that we are tied 12-12, and now we're 13-12, and now we're 15-12. Again... I can see that. As I said in the previous thread, the feigned excitement (or maybe it's real... fuck if I know) is really distracting and takes away from the experience. If we're watching Warlord flag, I don't need ULTRA HYPE every time someone puts a flag in. It can literally happen 9 times in a game. Save the vocal chords for the plays that are legitimately exciting. I feel like they (Bravo and GB) are trying to insert as much information as they can in a short amount of time. There's constant over-talking and stumbling over words (mostly Bravo from what I noticed concerning the latter issue). 

Other than that, I did enjoy what games I did get to watch. The finals were great. People have already touched on downtime so I won't get into that. I don't know if it was game issues or just abnormally long breaks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

T2 was actually a pretty decent caster, we just need to convince him that he's washed up and not going anywhere so he can hang up his boots and pick up the mic.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really? When was that? Most i seen was like 7200. I did always have it full screened on my second monitor though...

I didn't watch the finals but it was 13,5k somewhere between the time Cloud 9 played BTH and CLG played EG (when the stream cut out on Lockdown TS).

I had it running in a small window on my second screen while playing myself...

I didn't watch the finals but it was 13,5k somewhere between the time Cloud 9 played BTH and CLG played EG (when the stream cut out on Lockdown TS).

I had it running in a small window on my second screen while playing myself...

It was around 18.8-9k when EG-Optic played in Loser Final.

The main problems are

Obvious

1.Delays between matches are far too long people who tune in just leave or troll because of it.

2.Get some damn mods - I have never seen any mods in that chat when I watch IG. If there's no mods why have a chat? It's not just racist comments that are the problem but just in general the chat is waste of time. Just assign 10-15 mods for a stream that will be watching and you trust.

3.Gt's really annoying for the viewer and the casual viewer won't know who is IG Player 52

4. Less shouting on the mic on commentary plz I loved listening to Walshy/T2 so clam and dropping some great knowledge, Valen was better, DmaQ is better utilised mainly as a interviewer but can still commentate the odd game.Walshy needs to be commentating more if possible finals.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for all the feedback, it's very much appreciated. Congratulations to the team at Iron Gaming for running a damn fine HCS event.

Walshy should have commentated the finals. He has the most knowledge about the game and shares his insights in a very understandable and collected manner.

Very pleasant to listen to and helpful at the same time for people who might not understand whats going on in the games.

A lot of the feedback I have is HCS and gameplay related.

But I'd love to see player cams, and sometimes during listen ins, I could hear the other team in the background. It's not a huge problem, but it was enough to distract me. Really good job though :)

I don't think goldenboy will ever improve his halo casting

He doesn't know what's going on in game and doesn't want to know, pretty sad he's content with being average

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1