Proto

Official Iron Gaming Columbus 2014 Feedback Thread

The one thing that bothered me was that it seemed the the capture card settings were messed up on some stations. Some feeds were a lot darker than others and it was never fixed

• Upvote (+1) 3

The number of restarts severely damages the credibility of the series/league. That and visual glitches including bomb arm timers and warp glitches on Warlord make the entire thing look very second-rate at times. Everything else was more or less forgivable.

Petition to add more DMAQ.

I would suggest turning down the audio on the intro before every game, because it always went from listening to the caster with a normal voice, to LOUD NOISES DU DU DU DU QUICK 10 SECOND MONTAGE, to casters again who sounded super quiet again, forcing us to turn the volume back up and get caught off-guard again later on.

TL;DR - normalize the audio levels on ads and transitions

• Upvote (+1) 5

This is my opinon on Iron Gaming. This event was AMAZING and everyone did a great job behind the scenes!

1.) What I would like, and I already have a feeling it will happen is player cams. Colored cams.

2.) Better mic quality for the casters. I really felt that the casting equipment was really trash and hard to hear and most times.

3.) Time the transitions. When they went into the "Map Overlook" transitions they would just cut out the casters.

4.) I don't know big the venue was, but my opinion is I didn't like how the mainstage was set up. I just don't like how they are practically faced to face with each other. I don't know. It's just me.

5.) We need some pre and post game interviews with coaches, managers, players. It would really help with the little downtime between games maybe.

I'd like to see an improvement in the transition between commercial break and commentators/gameplay instead of just randomly jumping back into the action. The stream ads (not the normal ads, but the ones purposefully shown on stream) need to have a way of showing the viewer that they are beginning so as to not bust the eardrums of those wearing headphones. I noticed multiple times where that one MCC ad came on with the audio turned up to 10 when everything else that was on stream was at around a 6.

I'd like to see a different set up where the commentators are separated from the players so that they can get into the action without having to worry about a player hearing them say something because they're 10 feet away from each other.

The last thing I can think of is to make sure that the capture cards are set correctly so that the gameplay looks as it should instead of a drastic color change in the lights and shadows on the maps. Sometimes it was difficult (especially on Warlock) to see around the map.

1) Needs more maps/gametypes. Remove or alter Lockout gametypes.

2) U4ix should've been reduced to having no on-camera position except maybe a hair styling segment since he can't commentate for shit.

3) Fix the colored cams

4) The casters kept switching the player cam while they were in the middle of a battle!!! Stop that!!!

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not going to touch on the crashes because obviously that's an issue with the game/hardware.

1.  Brightness/Contrast on all POVs and cameras needs to be regulated and needs to be at a level that you can see on dark spots in the map.
  2. Audio Levels need to be regulated between everything including pre-rendered videos.
  3. More listen ins, especially on standoffs.
  4. Match highlights would be a good way to bridge the gap between games/series. Might be difficult to accomplish quickly but even if it's rough and quick it would be great.
  5. More updates on power weapons. I'd like to know when they're coming up and instantly be on the POV of the player picking it up or at least making a push for it.
  6. No more give aways in chat and more moderators. I saw many instances of people spamming racist comments in chat who were just left to do so.
  7. MORE DMAQ
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Things will be much better when we get a forge map or two in there. Most of the issues I had with this event were not the fault if IG, they really surprised me.

I very much enjoyed the HCS this weekend.

The ONE thing that I absolutely couldn't stand and actually made me want to mute the stream was everyone on the casting/analysis team aside from Bravo, Walshy, and Goldenboy. Those three were amazing! Everyone else simply had a lack of knowledge for the game, so their casting and analysis lacked as well. On top of that, that Dmaq guy was probably the most obnoxious person I've ever seen cast a game. While I understand that some people may find him funny, he is one of the most unprofessional casters/analysts I've ever witnessed. He knew nothing about the game and honestly made the entire event a joke. If you guys are serious about Halo coming back to the eSports scene, then the analysts need to be better prepared and actually be able to talk about the games. Once again, Bravo, Walshy, and Goldenboy all did great, but that's because they knew what was happening and stayed professional throughout. 

Other than that, I felt the event went fine aside from the mechanical and game issues that caused some delays (which I'm sure will get better as 343 continues to work on MCC).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Overall a very good tournament.

A couple of suggestions:

- Replays: A great feature from league of legends casts. it would be good to see a run down of certain influential plays that had happened in each game. This would help give structure to analyst desk conversations as well as provide a deeper understanding of what makes a "good halo player" other than ability to aim (a useful tool for introducing people who may be new to watching competitive halo and aspiring pros). This could also be a nice form of viewer interaction because fans could then vote for their "play of the day/tournement".

- The end of stream sign off: after the last match the stream ended pretty quickly without any real analysis of the matches. Perhaps it would have been better to go straight to analysis (with some replays) then have interviews with representatives from both teams. I think interviews is particularly important as you want your viewers to be invested in players and team rivalries e.g. Hearing snipedown swear bloody revenge! After interviews you can the go back to the casters who can give the fan voted MVP (and play of the tournament?). Then you can do the wrap up with sponsor shout outs etc etc.

- More Walshy. He cracks me up!

Walshy was a perfect caster. Absolutely killed it. Bravo was really great as usual, and while Alex can get a bit tiring at times, he's a pretty solid personality for the broadcast. I'd like to see guys like Dmaq be used for more postgame interviews, and less for actual game commentating. I like him, but I'd rather have a pro like Dave calling the actual games. 

I also really like it when they bring in a player to call an occasional game when they aren't playing. Having T2 call a game was great, and it helps break some of the monotony of hearing the same couple guys talk for hours on end.

All this being said, I really enjoyed the broadcast for the most part.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

I only saw a little bit of this since finals and traveling and what not so idk if this was fixed later but I would love to have a mic and camera of the audience.

1) More interviews. I can't believe they didn't interview the Championship team!?!

2) More moderators in Twitch chat, seriously some people were just spamming like crazy, this isn't hard to fix...

3) More Walshy! 

4) I really liked how they had special appearances of pro players talking, keep that up.

5) Downtime between games. Seriously is the game that messed up? 

6) Show the crowd!

More Walshy too.

Definitely, he is very informative when it comes to casting. Pretty funny too.

Anyway, I only saw a couple hours but it was great besides the downtime. Goldenboy, Bravo, and Walsh are great at casting. Perhaps we could get Gandhi in as well at some point in time? I found Dmaq and Frank to be entertaining between games, but wouldn't have them casting. It was neat to see Puckett's son as well.

I posted this somewhere else and I am gonna post it again.

Valen + Frank on Saturday was cringeworthy

The commentator pairing on Sunday was much better.

DMAQ + Frank and Goldenboy + Valen worked much better.  

Bravo + Walshy is also a good pairing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would be looking forward to the hookers that Walshy is bringing to the next LAN event. 

That and a 60fps stream needs to be in effect at all tournaments. You are trying to further the franchise into next gen gaming for all viewers, old and new. That is not through 30 fps. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Definitely better than any previous IronGaming event. The on screen graphics were solid, the commentating was solid, the matches were solid, etc.

My biggest complaint is downtime. There just needs to be good content during those times. Analysis, player stats, etc. How about even sidestation cams in the earlier rounds. I get that you can't start a new match within 5 minutes of the previous, but you should be able to start game 2 in a series within 5 minutes of game 1 ending.

Event production NEEDS to continue in the direction it is headed. I am glad that HCS is holding TO's responsible and making them meet a standard.

I am looking forward to what UGC has planned, they keep promising big things. 

EDIT: Yes, we need to make 60 fps a must. 60 fps is one of the big talking points of next gen Halo, so it should be on display.

Either train or get rid of the casters who know little about competitive halo or haven't played the game at an intelligent level. It's important that the people presenting the content to us are actually smarter than us (as in the average viewer), so that we don't patronize/make fun of the production. For instance, it's really easy to get into the show when Walshy and Bravo are talking some seriously interesting Halo theory, but when Frank and Goldenboy are just making ambiguous statements like, "They're coming out with so much energy", it makes the audience either question the show or not take it seriously; bad casters can easily destroy the immersive aspect in watching tournaments.

That said, maybe get some pro players on the mic sometimes? Usually works out very well, as they know a lot about the game, but it's also interesting to hear their story of the tournament thus far, what games are coming up for them, etc. As well Dmaq was a great entertainer and had good things to say in game. Hope Gandhi can get back into the casting gig too.

• Upvote (+1) 1