Sign in to follow this  
Arena1999

Tell me about the advantages of Sprint.

I might be beating the dead horse here, but I want just one valid reason why Sprint benefits Halo. So far, on Waypoint, I just saw some of the stupidest nonsense that I have ever read about anything related to Halo. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/how-does-sprint-help-gameplay/d9f8d0f1-c2e5-493e-8fab-baefcf85b2b1/posts?page=4#post71

I completely loathe Sprint, as much as a lot of you people do. I hate the fact that everything has to accomondate it. I hate the fact it takes no skill to evade deaths. And I hate the fact that it is still in Halo 5, I can tolerate it. However, it is just a pointless mechanic that adds only negative attributes to Halo to my eyes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I might be beating the dead horse here, but I want just one valid reason why Sprint benefits Halo. So far, on Waypoint, I just saw some of the stupidest nonsense that I have ever read about anything related to Halo. https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/how-does-sprint-help-gameplay/d9f8d0f1-c2e5-493e-8fab-baefcf85b2b1/posts?page=4#post71

I completely loathe Sprint, as much as a lot of you people do. I hate the fact that everything has to accomondate it. I hate the fact it takes no skill to evade deaths. And I hate the fact that it is still in Halo 5, I can tolerate it. However, it is just a pointless mechanic that adds only negative attributes to Halo to my eyes.

Read the H5G thread if you want to see opinions on mechanics. No need for an extra thread. I think H5G's Sprint with the right tweaks can add something to the game, but read the H5G thread for a more indepth view.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Read the H5G thread if you want to see opinions on mechanics. No need for an extra thread. I think H5G's Sprint with the right tweaks can add something to the game, but read the H5G thread for a more indepth view.

I did read it, I was there when I made this thread. And I was tired of hearing the same opinions from 2010, I want to hear an opinion from someone that does not use "super-soldiers" card to justify Sprint being in Halo.

(This website actually has notifications. I am liking it here more and more.)

I did read it, I was there when I made this thread. And I was tired of hearing the same opinions from 2010, I want to hear an opinion from someone that does not use "super-soldiers" card to justify Sprint being in Halo.

(This website actually has notifications. I am liking it here more and more.)

Just ask for people's opinions on Sprint in that thread. It is pretty relevant.

Glad you are enjoying the website. Beyond basically kept Halo alive during the dark times, glad that more people are joining up now that we are back in business. Waypoint is for casuals anyways :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just ask for people's opinions on Sprint in that thread. It is pretty relevant.

Glad you are enjoying the website. Beyond basically kept Halo alive during the dark times, glad that more people are joining up now that we are back in business. Waypoint is for casuals anyways :kappa:

It would make me feel completely out of a place and make me seem that I do not know what I am talking if I just asked them because I am still arguing with those people.

Thank you for the greetings.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Makes people spend less time on the game because it's not as fun.

Its sad when getting +rep on a forum is more fun than a AAA game.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The sad thing is the MMS-dominated youth shooter scene is growing up thinking sprint+ADS is what makes a good FPS and in general seem very opposed to playing anything else that doesn't fit that fold. I have literally talked to my young niece who said "What is this ancient game?" when I showed him what I was playing which happened to be UT2004 at the time.  Once CS and Halo die out everything but the "pseudo-realistic" modern style of AAA shooters will be relegated to niches if they aren't already.The dev who said "Call of Duty almost killed an entire generation of shooter players" will be proven correct in his assessment. There is just not enough diversity in the AAA shooter market currently, the greed of big publisher's endlessly C+P'ing formulas instead of innovating new ones will catch up with us soon.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Its sad when getting +rep on a forum is more fun than a AAA game.

Also sad when a AAA game under Microsoft is outsourced to 5 different studios on top of the original one...

Not even gonna talk about how well that worked.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The sad thing is the MMS-dominated youth shooter scene is growing up thinking sprint+ADS is what makes a good FPS and in general seem very opposed to playing anything else that doesn't fit that fold. I have literally talked to my young niece who said "What is this ancient game?" when I showed him what I was playing which happened to be UT2004 at the time.  Once CS and Halo die out everything but the "pseudo-realistic" modern style of AAA shooters will be relegated to niches if they aren't already.The dev who said "Call of Duty almost killed an entire generation of shooter players" will be proven correct in his assessment. There is just not enough diversity in the AAA shooter market currently, the greed of big publisher's endlessly C+P'ing formulas instead of innovating new ones will catch up with us soon.

The good news is that Counter-Strike is not going to go away any time soon.

• Upvote (+1) 4

One positive: In my personal opinion, all gameplay detriments aside, sprint makes traversing the map more fluid and fun. I remember on halo 4, after nearly the entire team quit out, I would just do skill jumps everywhere and sprint around. I just felt more connected and "one" with the map than in other halo games. In no other halo games did I enjoy just running (technically walking without sprint) around the map as much.

The good news is that Counter-Strike is not going to go away any time soon.

^

we will all be playing cs in 5 years, count on it 

^

we will all be playing cs in 5 years, count on it 

If H5G sucks you can change that to like 2 months for me 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint does have advantages when it comes to moving around the map quickly. But the "advantages" are formed AROUND the mechanic rather than the other way around (such as sprint being made because of big maps, etc.). The cons outweigh the positives, and you can read about them in the H5 thread if you want specifics. 

Suffice to say that I think CursedLemon said it best: sprint was decided to become a "feature" in Halo 5 by some corporate bigwig at Microsoft and 343, whether they want to or not, has to keep it in the game. The best we can do is try it get it tweaked to the point that it doesn't **** things up TOO badly.

Which it kind of already has: longer range full-autos, grossly oversized maps, etc.

The best advantage sprint could ever do for a video game is increase the punishment for dying. The best thing i can compare it to to give you an idea of its uses is strafe jumping in quake. In quake (mostly at the highest levels of play does this become really true) most fights on larger maps dont end in a death, players escape so much but every time it chips away at some of their health and they are stuck in a position of not being able to contest very forcefully for powerups until they continue to make good decisions are win smaller items on the maps. It would allow more skilled players to be able to work themselves out of a situation instead of being faced with a death. However all that is undone because its all dependent on not having regenerating health and spawning with a weapon that does not allow you to really kill the other player until you get something better.

Honestly who am i kidding, thats an extremely optimistic statement, a 4v4 game like halo will never have the ability to promote a control dynamic that is very gradual in how it shifts favor. You arent getting any real positives because there arent any, this mechanic wasnt implemented into games for anything more then making a player feel cool. (i dont think of wolfensteins sprint as being classified as the sprint we are talking about here) 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only real* benefit of Sprint is that some players may feel more confident in moving around the map because the weapons are most likely balanced more heavily around the active base speed.  Everyone talks about "encouraging map movement, that's what makes a game exciting," but many often forget that movement's primary role is effecting (bringing about), not just affecting, action; when action becomes secondary to movement, map movement is no longer a meaningful goal unless that movement requires skill, such as with strafe jumping or other movement glitches.  I had a long discussion with Gamesager (very good at Halo, but also arguably the best player in the world in Titanfall) about movement and action in Titanfall and recently came to this conclusion after challenging my rigid thinking.  Sprint requires only the touch of a button, adding no special mechanical skillfulness; the decisions forced on the player because of it exist, no doubt, but they are unnatural and unbecoming of a base mechanic, which almost by definition should not need to be balanced outside of itself.

*not so real

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh well. sprints in the game. Adapt. Edit: looks like these were a poor choice of words. I know it seemed like i was telling you to suck it up and deal with it (which i somewhat was), but i said it with the idea i was saying this to of a more open minded group. C learly people aren't willing to have sprint in it at all. I also said it in a poor manner without explaining myself more. 

Either way i should apologize for seeming so arrogant. That can happen to the best of us from time to time.

It would help if you you could focus more on the conversation the poor choice of words to adapt as i try to continue to explain myself what i mean by that.

At least it's being significantly nerfed from my understanding. Apparently You stop sprinting when you get shot. You shouldn't be able to sprint away if you're getting. Also your shield doesn't recharge.

Yes the map sizes have to adjust, but it doesn't look drastic. Midship looks pretty good. I forgot People can get picky about saying stuff like that. what i meant is so far it doesn't look bad nor does it look useless(from the little i've seen). Not to say it is or isn't useless, but these are my initial thoughts. They can and are willing to change.

Yes sprint isn't ideal and doesn't optimize the competitive aspect to the game, but there can still be a skill gap and it can still be competitive with or without sprint.

If it draws in more people to play the game then i think that's a good thing. Especially with it's nerfs, i don't think it's the worst thing.

So even if there is no good reason to have sprint in the game, if it's getting more people to play it, then that's your reason for sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 13