CyReN

DOOM Discussion

I can go into it with an open mind since I'm not a hardcore doom fan and I don't think it can be worse than Halo. If anything I'm looking for another good shooter campaign to mess around in like I used to do in the halo trilogy.

I'm pretty sure a lot of hardcore DOOM fans love it.

Ultra Nightmare is probably the closest I've come to a heart attack. Those goddamn Imps' charged fireball is an instakill at around 80 health. The combat shotgun is pretty much your best friend up until you find the super shotgun. After about 50 tries in the past week, I've finally gotten past the Foundry, currently at the Argent Tower.

I ended up finally beating the game and unlocking the ultra nightmare mode. I played the first level for the achievement and it was a lot of fun. I've seen what future levels can bring and even struggled in some fights just on whatever the third difficulty is. (Ultra Violence i think) I think the death skull concept is really cool. I liked walking through the first level and seeing where all my friends and I guess other random people have died. Shoutout to all of @ and his skulls. 

Can you explain how dying works? You are supposed to go back to episode one correct? Is there a way around this? Like saving and quitting after each level and resuming progress that way?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I ended up finally beating the game and unlocking the ultra nightmare mode. I played the first level for the achievement and it was a lot of fun. I've seen what future levels can bring and even struggled in some fights just on whatever the third difficulty is. (Ultra Violence i think) I think the death skull concept is really cool. I liked walking through the first level and seeing where all my friends and I guess other random people have died. Shoutout to all of @ and his skulls. 

Can you explain how dying works? You are supposed to go back to episode one correct? Is there a way around this? Like saving and quitting after each level and resuming progress that way?

Just beat the game on Nightmare! It was challenging! 

I missed a few secretes and challenges that I need to complete.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It'll keep your progress if you beat a level and quit. If you die after resuming your progress, it will destroy your save and hurl you back to M1. Oh and none of your collectibles, upgrades, and secrets are kept. So basically, stay alive and keep your progress, die and lose it all.

I bought DOOM last night

I think the MP is great for casual/social

But they really need a ranked playlist with different settings

I bought DOOM last night

I think the MP is great for casual/social

But they really need a ranked playlist with different settings

They haven't shown any signs of doing this, but they've been updating the game quite a bit since launch, and have a "classic death match" (FFA) coming, so it's always possible.

They haven't shown any signs of doing this, but they've been updating the game quite a bit since launch, and have a "classic death match" (FFA) coming, so it's always possible.

It would really push this game to the next level for MP

I played DOOM when I was really young on the snes and a couple times on PC. Not a game I really got the chance to play til it was on XBLA

Even though it was an old game, I still had really enjoyed it.

Never beat DOOM 2, but played a lot of it

DOOM 3 is probably my favourite because of the scare, but it's a different kind of DOOM

Would've loved if DOOM 4 had more scary moments. Maybe I gotta get further, but it really feels like a next Gen sequel to DOOM 1

Being new to Doom and a shooter on PC I need some advice.

I can't seem to find info on power up spawns. Are they static timers or dynamic or completely random? How about demon runes? I feel like I'm almost never prepared for them and have no idea how to position myself to get ready for them.

My next question is how do you determine optimal settings for mouse sensitivity? Surprisingly, for my first fps with a M&kb I didn't do as awful as I thought and it started to feel better after two hours of play.

Being new to Doom and a shooter on PC I need some advice.

I can't seem to find info on power up spawns. Are they static timers or dynamic or completely random? How about demon runes? I feel like I'm almost never prepared for them and have no idea how to position myself to get ready for them.

My next question is how do you determine optimal settings for mouse sensitivity? Surprisingly, for my first fps with a M&kb I didn't do as awful as I thought and it started to feel better after two hours of play.

Demon runes are pretty much random. Power ups I BELIEVE have static timer from what I've seen using the hack module that shows the timers, but I could be wrong. I thought they were all on really long static timers

Demon runes are pretty much random. Power ups I BELIEVE have static timer from what I've seen using the hack module that shows the timers, but I could be wrong. I thought they were all on really long static timers

I figured it was random but it's pretty disappointing to hear that confirmed. Would have been really cool if it was on a timer and have everyone fight towards it as it prepares to spawn. The power ups are really frustrating because I almost never know where they spawn because like you said they are on super long timers and I'm never ready for it. I hate turning a corner only to get killed by a gauss cannon and I have no idea when it spawned or even where.

The MP is really solid and without even playing the older games I can see why there are some gripes about it. I wish they got rid of load outs and didn't have so much of this random stuff.

https://vimeo.com/theromero/review/156288044/2ad02ce556

Da god himself Romero talking about level design in his new DOOM level. 23 years later and DOOM still lives on through Brutal Doom and other community mods! Meanwhile, we actually have PC devs that are actually against community modding these days, PC Nazis I say! This is true love ladies and gentlemen, any level designer should study the original Doom and Quake games for how to make awesome levels! Dat Quake shirt too! <3 Romero seems like one of the chillest legends in the industry, one of the true great abstract designers left and he has true passion for his craft! He also can still kick your butt in Doom/Quake MP from what I hear! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7phUkpeUE Cant wait for his next FPS,  Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, Quake, Daikatana(underrated in my opinion), then Blackroom hopefully the next great FPS! Sounds like the long-awaited spiritual successor to Doom/Quake! <3 Maybe even faster, crazier, and bloodier this time knowing Romero! :thinking:

Blackroom,[25] describing their vision as a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat

I figured it was random but it's pretty disappointing to hear that confirmed. Would have been really cool if it was on a timer and have everyone fight towards it as it prepares to spawn. The power ups are really frustrating because I almost never know where they spawn because like you said they are on super long timers and I'm never ready for it. I hate turning a corner only to get killed by a gauss cannon and I have no idea when it spawned or even where.

The MP is really solid and without even playing the older games I can see why there are some gripes about it. I wish they got rid of load outs and didn't have so much of this random stuff.

This game would be really good if they had two separate play lists.

They one they have now and a competitive mode

No load outs , proper spawn times

Everyone starts with the pistol(or some other weapon)

Etc

Oh my we are finally getting bots with the new update, hopefully the don't play like shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just beat the game on Nightmare! It was challenging! 

I missed a few secretes and challenges that I need to complete.

Have you played arcade mode?  The music is hilarious.  

That is a great documentary. Enjoyed watching it immensely.

Oh my we are finally getting bots with the new update, hopefully the don't play like shit.

Have you tried the bots? Are they any good?

Is this game any good? How's the MP? Is there still a player-base online?

Campaign is excellent. Multiplayer is highly flawed, because of a combination of being outsourced to Certain Affinity and not having the balls to not make it a loadout shooter. Pretty sure the online population is tiny at this point.

Yo why the f is no one talking about Doom Eternal? I did not expect a sequel to be announced this soon, I'm so stoked. DOOM 2016 is a masterpiece and having Mick Gordon doing the soundtrack again is insane.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yo why the f is no one talking about Doom Eternal? I did not expect a sequel to be announced this soon, I'm so stoked. DOOM 2016 is a masterpiece and having Mick Gordon doing the soundtrack again is insane.

Nice meme, I guess scripted finishing animations are worth more than actual gunplay these days.

Probably because it was nothing more than a CGI trailer.

Definitely was a surprise announcement and I'm glad to hear they are going to keep it going.

Nice meme, I guess scripted finishing animations are worth more than actual gunplay these days.

Apparently so is shooting a Death Knight with a super shotgun six times as it walks at you in a straight line.  "Actual gunplay."  Come on dude.

There are definitely better campaign shooters than DooM4 out there.  I will say it's the first genuinely good campaign shooter we've seen in a long time, good ones have been extremely rare after like 2011. 

It doesn't get in your face with constant exposition interrupting gameplay, the upgrade and lore log systems are a nice touch, and the gunplay is still pretty solid with or without the execution system.  The level designs are...okay?  They're better than average but still complete shit compared to DooM1, DooM2, or Quake 1.  Overall still pretty good game.

"nice meme" are you serious? DOOM has some of the best level design and art style of any shooter I've ever played. Is it perfect? Not by any means. And you're acting like the finishing animations totally ruin the game when they are a tiny part of combat in reality.

The level designs are...okay?  They're better than average but still complete shit compared to DooM1, DooM2, or Quake 1.  Overall still pretty good game.

That does make sense since the average level design is pretty bad, I agree. Just feels too much like double jumping through a Destiny map for me tho.

Check out the Arcane Dimensions mod, they did a really good job with their levels.

"nice meme" are you serious? DOOM has some of the best level design and art style of any shooter I've ever played. Is it perfect? Not by any means. And you're acting like the finishing animations totally ruin the game when they are a tiny part of combat in reality.

Again, the new game feels way too influenced by watered down stuff like Halo/Destiny/whatever. Movement is slow and sluggish and you always get a few enemies at a time. Add stuff like the the gore animations on top so it looks nice in a demo gameplay and people can lose their shit about prescripted animations.

I guess it's still a good game, but calling is a "masterpiece" just didn't seem right when you consider the oldschool shooters ID released back in the day.

You should also check/play Arcane Dimensions btw, if you are not stuck on console that is.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've played Arcane Dimensions (among other Quoth-based mods).  The map designs are excellent and I love the new and surprisingly fitting additions, but I just think it's funny to say DooM has bad gunplay yet ignore the flaws with Quake's gunplay which definitely isn't winning any awards and which Arcane Dimensions only partially addresses.

I'd recommend the Nehahra mod myelf.  The lengthy cutscenes are annoying but the AI is far more intelligent.  They strafe during combat, they utilize cover, they have more attacks available, and generally die faster.  I was blown away because it fixed a ton of what I thought was lacking about Quake 1's combat after playing it.

To get back to DooM though...yeah it's a lot slower than, well, DooM.  The game feels like it was primarily designed for consoles and that probably held it back from what it could've been.  The combat also doesn't tend to ramp up until you get locked into a small wave-based arena, which kinda sucks.  Still pretty much the best modern console campaign games have to offer.