CyReN

DOOM Discussion

Arena FPS makes another BIG comeback this time with a 20+ year old AAA title backed by Bethesda themselves.

Welcome to Hell boys, where you can score the bloodiest frags on Earth Mars and Hell.

DOOM 4 is one of the big classics and one of the most influential FPS to ever be made.

The DEVs seem to be staying true to the original formula with some added mechanics. They haven't sold out! There is NO sprint, ADS(or "smart scoping"), perks, loadouts, or classes. It seems to be very traditional in respects to arena gameplay with mantling on edges include similar to clamber.

Gameplay Mechanics

• Fast Movement
  • Double Jump
  • Edge Mantling
  • No Sprint
  • No ADS
  • Traditional Scoping
  • No Perks,loadouts, or classes

Here is the campaign gameplay trailer. NOTE this is a scripted event so it feels slow but it speeds up in some sections. The second video features MUCH faster gameplay.

VIDEO 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVaWl1GtDHU

VIDEO 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXhpg9Qx6l0

MULTIPLAYER AND MAP CREATION

As we know DOOM 4 will be a true Arena FPS shooter much more so than Halo 5. The multiplayer looked similar to halo, especially with the colored power armor and the weapons. 

The gameplay will be fast and the gunplay will be hectic.

Here is a quote from an executive!

Marty Stratton, executive producer of Doom, said the secret to any Doom title was "bad-ass demons, big f****** guns and moving really, really fast".

I believe the DEVs know what kind of beast they are handling. I think this game has a place in eSports and I hope Bethesda acts on it!

Multiplayer Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7In6GhM-c

DOOM SNAPMAP

Consider this firefight and forge on steroids. This is what SHOULD have been the evolution of both firefight and forge. Tis was not.

SNAP map allows you to create and share really complex map designs. No longer do you need specific PC tools to make a map to play with all your friends. Also you make new game modes and scripted events.

Also you create your own survival levels and fight against hordes of demons. Through this you create your scripted events, place power ups, and well... do what you want!

SNAPMAP Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_rKexJacs 

Share your thoughts! Hopefully the competitive multiplayer picks up! I hope we can get a DOOM 4 subforum!

Also best played on PC ;) Gonna need those 144 frames per a second for face paced arena action!

• Upvote (+1) 9

Sounds and looks amazing! There's a bit of a Arena FPS revival lately, and I know you're prepared since you have a PC, but I don't. :(

It's going to be nice to have a real fast paced arena shooter in my hands again. I really miss the mental aspect of such fast shooters that has been lost in just about every recent shooter.. destiny, titanfall, cods, Halo etc.

I'm very unexperienced in Doom's multiplayer though. How's the weapon sandbox? I saw me some sweeeeet rockets and I'd probably still play the game if that's all it came wit, but how is it comparable to other games? I wasn't a big fan of Unreal Tournament 3 or it's sandbox.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sounds and looks amazing! There's a bit of a Arena FPS revival lately, and I know you're prepared since you have a PC, but I don't. :(

It's going to be nice to have a real fast paced arena shooter in my hands again. I really miss the mental aspect of such fast shooters that has been lost in just about every recent shooter.. destiny, titanfall, cods, Halo etc.

I'm very unexperienced in Doom's multiplayer though. How's the weapon sandbox? I saw me some sweeeeet rockets and I'd probably still play the game if that's all it came wit, but how is it comparable to other games? I wasn't a big fan of Unreal Tournament 3 or it's sandbox.

Weapons sandbox is pretty solid. You will use and go through all the weapons.  

I think DOOM 4 will have a better chance because its backed by Bethesda and is an old AAA title. I hope it grows in the eSports scene.

I might buy this at full price, and that's saying something considering i haven't bought a game on day one in like a year.

Is this confirmed? Because id has loadouts in Quake live which is a joke imo.

I wouldn't be surprise if they just threw it in there just to have that option. Im positive loadouts won't be a huge factor in multiplayer. 

It looks good, but I think I will stick to Halo. I like that they are bringing back the classic Arena experience with Doom 4, but I want something fresh after playing eleven years of nearly the same Arena multiplayer. I might try this out still, it being possibly my first Doom game.

It looks good, but I think I will stick to Halo. I like that they are bringing back the classic Arena experience with Doom 4, but I want something fresh after playing eleven years of nearly the same Arena multiplayer. I might try this out still, it being possibly my first Doom game.

It should seem fresh to you, try it out if it your first DOOM game. I think it will be a far better unique experience.

this game looked awesome. i've never played doom before, but i'll probably pick this game up on release.

man, bethesda really killed it yesterday.

UT4 is way faster TBH(closest in speed and map design to UT 99' many say) and I dont like some of the additions such as the weapon wheel but I always buy the new Doom games for pure fast-paced fragging fun regardless if they aren't really close to the originals. The new Snapmap feature looks really awesome though, as someone who is interesting in creating MP maps this is a godsend.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It should seem fresh to you, try it out if it your first DOOM game. I think it will be a far better unique experience.

How would it be a more unique experience?

Doom Snapmap looks incredible, I can't wait to see what the community does with it

On the one hand I get that the thing is nice and there because Doom 4 will be on the cosoles as well but I really hope that we got some advanced mapping tools for PC. Just look at the Reflex map editor (even if it is missing some important functions atm). I like snapmap as well but I hope that mapping will have as much freedom as possible.

On the one hand I get that the thing is nice and there because Doom 4 will be on the cosoles as well but I really hope that we got some advanced mapping tools for PC. Just look at the Reflex map editor (even if it is missing some important functions atm). I like snapmap as well but I hope that mapping will have as much freedom as possible.

Bethesda is very open to modding. Im sure there will be more advanced ways for map editing but this is a good step in "mainstreaming" map creation for all games. 

Bethesda is very open to modding. Im sure there will be more advanced ways for map editing but this is a good step in "mainstreaming" map creation for all games. 

That might be true but please leave us mappers all the freedom we need. When you really plan a map on paper and then realise that it is not possible the way you want it because of the limited pieces you have...

Maybe i missed this somewhere so apologies in advance but will this be available on consoles? specifically xbox one?

Maybe i missed this somewhere so apologies in advance but will this be available on consoles? specifically xbox one?

yes, xbox, ps4, and pc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Doom Snapmap looks incredible, I can't wait to see what the community does with it

This has me so unbelievably hyped. So many great FPS titles coming out soon. Glad I have a good rig! I recommend you put one together @@Teapot It costs around $600 but it's totally worth. Consoles just can't hang if you are a hardcore gamer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just hope that the console version will not ruin the PC experience. The weapon real is for console for sure because on PC you could just bind every weapon to a key.

Also I hope we don't have to deal with the console aim assist in the PC version...

I just hope that the console version will not ruin the PC experience. The weapon real is for console for sure because on PC you could just bind every weapon to a key.

Also I hope we don't have to deal with the console aim assist in the PC version...

No we don't. Can be programmed out.

Is there an ETA release date? BETA date, maybe?

Haven't really ever played much Doom, but that footage reminded me a lot of Serious Sam.

This game doesn't look like Doom at all.

Maybe they only made it look shitty to make the E3 demo seem cinematic, but I get a very strong pre-release Halo Reach/4 vibe from it, "it's not a bad game, it's just a bad Doom game."

I'm expecting a surprise DOOM 4 tournament at quakecon because they literally made quake live limited to one tournament this year instead of the usual 2.