Sign in to follow this  
BrutallyDigital

Looking for Games Similar to Halo on Steam

Hey guys, after the recent events with MCC and the amount of disappointment that I have felt over the year with Destiny, Titanfall, etc. I am starting to get into Steam. To start out, I'm looking for a game that is similar to Halo. I prefer controller friendly games, but I will have a look at other games that use just a keyboard.

Get good with the mouse and keyboard. PC is home to TRUE arena FPS. 

This game isnt out yet but its gonna be good.

Quake Live is another good Halo like game.

The Unreal Tournament series is good as well.

murder miners is on steam, that's a mix between halo and minecraft. very low population tho :(

I was about to say the same..you will have fun with CSGO and it has a good population. Takes skill to play

CSGO is a great game sorta similar to halo. Looking at quake and UT they seem way too different if you are looking for a game similar to halo.

The new Unreal Tournament is releasing soon.

With Quake Live on Steam now and a god-tier UT on the way, the two kings are returning. Slowly, but surely.

I'd say pick up CSGO for sure, definitely the best shooter on PC right now.

And of course pick up the new UT when it comes out as well.

If you're going to try playing PC FPS games with a controller you're going to have a bad time.  

The only reason you aim decent with a controller on a console is because of aim assistance such as magnetism and auto-aim.  PC games generally don't give you this with a controller so aiming with a controller is extremely difficult.  

You're better off getting a decent gaming mouse and getting used to it.  Here is an excellent guide for setting up your mouse.

As for games, Halo's biggest inspiration was Unreal Tournament.  The Arena shooter genre is struggling right now and not nearly as popular as back in the UT99 and Quake 3 Arena days,  If you're really into competitive arena shooters you should look into Quake Live (it is free).  Just be aware that you're going to get roflstomped because most of the people still playing it are extremely hardcore.  

Hopefully the new Unreal Tournament will revive the Arena FPS genre into glory.  It is quite a ways from being done, but it will be completely free.  

If you're just looking for good FPS games, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is a must.  I would also check out Chivalry: Medieval Warfare which is more of a first person melee game, but it is extremely good with deep combat and an extremely high skill ceiling.  If you're into competitive gaming you'll like it.  

Get good with the mouse and keyboard. PC is home to TRUE arena FPS.

This game isnt out yet but its gonna be good.

That video is old. It isn't out yet?

I've gotten a lot of fun out of Team Fortress 2. CSGO is pretty good too. Republic Commando is a Halo clone, but the online functionality may have ceased by now.

I've always supported the original Halo trilogy itself being ported to Steam down the road, and considering 343's work on MCC, I'd say they're at least decently qualified to do it themselves. It makes sense from a business perspective too; Halo probably isn't going to "sell consoles" anymore, so why keep it exclusive? Regardless of legitimacy, the Steam leaks built up some hype for Halo on Steam. Window's Live is dead, so M$ isn't competing with Steam now, and they've already taken the first step by porting Spartan Assault to Steam.  Fix up the shitty H1/H2Vista ports, port H3, price the games reasonably, make money.

(It should be noted that I support this happening after issues with Xbone's MCC is resolved)

considering 343's work on MCC, I'd say they're at least decently qualified to do it themselves.

I disagree with that based on how much of a colossal failure the MCC is.  Of course Halo 1 was a pretty terrible port and Halo 2 wasn't a great port either.  

I guess it just guarantees if they ever port The MCC to PC it is going to be shit.  

They can't even get the fucking mouse controls right.  Instead of doing it right they just add another layer of code that basically emulates a joystick using a mouse which was originally made to emulate a mouse.  So you get terrible yo dawg mouse acceleration that makes the game frustrating as hell to play for any serous PC gamer.  

It isn't that fucking hard to do it right.  Give me the source code and I could get it working properly in a day.  

I disagree with that based on how much of a colossal failure the MCC is.  Of course Halo 1 was a pretty terrible port and Halo 2 wasn't a great port either.  

I guess it just guarantees if they ever port The MCC to PC it is going to be shit.  

They can't even get the fucking mouse controls right.  Instead of doing it right they just add another layer of code that basically emulates a joystick using a mouse which was originally made to emulate a mouse.  So you get terrible yo dawg mouse acceleration that makes the game frustrating as hell to play for any serous PC gamer.  

It isn't that fucking hard to do it right.  Give me the source code and I could get it working properly in a day.  

I didn't say they did a good job, its just a step above "we can't change Halo 3 its legacy tech". They can't do worse than any of the old PC ports. Probably.  

And for some reason, I always envisioned them releasing the original three individually, just so the Xbone can keep being "special". But I suppose it might be more economical to port MCC itself.

I've gotten a lot of fun out of Team Fortress 2. CSGO is pretty good too. Republic Commando is a Halo clone, but the online functionality may have ceased by now.

I've always supported the original Halo trilogy itself being ported to Steam down the road, and considering 343's work on MCC, I'd say they're at least decently qualified to do it themselves. It makes sense from a business perspective too; Halo probably isn't going to "sell consoles" anymore, so why keep it exclusive? Regardless of legitimacy, the Steam leaks built up some hype for Halo on Steam. Window's Live is dead, so M$ isn't competing with Steam now, and they've already taken the first step by porting Spartan Assault to Steam.  Fix up the shitty H1/H2Vista ports, port H3, price the games reasonably, make money.

(It should be noted that I support this happening after issues with Xbone's MCC is resolved)

I host games on Gameranger for Republic Commando sometimes.