Herbie

Street Fighter Discussion

Where's all my SF fans at?

Can be anything from SF to USF4. Personally my favorite in the game series is 3rd strike. Damn is it just a perfect game!

Just going to leave this here :D

Sup, I only got into FGs recently but I'm currently just playing USF4. Going to play GG Xrd once its out. I main Yang in usf4 and will main Sin for Xrd most likely

SF5 so far looks great from the gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf5RqPb8a5w&src_vid=FKXJJQ-FfWk&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_1349844967

What the trailer showed is:

- Guard breaks 

- Chun super ends with a reset like 3s

- Combos look longer, hopefully this means the punish game is a lot bigger than USF4

- Ryu does a horse stance in the video so maybe they added some form of parry? Personally hoping for alpha counter type of thing but if it's not in I wont trip

- Some "mode" where it looks like you get extra dmg off combos and such. If it's not a comeback mechanic this sounds awesome

- OTGs 

- Stage environment destructible. I hope this is only from KOs, don't want corner punishing to be neglected more

- CHAINS. I really hope this means they're not going to emphasize links like SF4 did 

All I can recall from the trailer

Game so far looks much quicker than USF4 which I am totally down for. I hope they have something like alpha counters or something that has a good risk/reward system

Either way, pumped to see the game in action at Capcom Cup!

Also, crossplat play for PS4 and PC is great. 

Oh and no one here really plays sf4/FGs or cares for Fgs for the most part. Uuz (I forgot his new name lol), Lazer, me, Batchford, box and a few others are all I can recall

• Upvote (+1) 2

The problem is that Capcom is so broke and is still trying to rely on SF to save the day.  They relied on SF for the past decade and it's not helping them.  Fighting games aren't that popular for big reasons and really I can only see this as almost a final nail in the coffin.  It may get good first day or month sales... but the population numbers are going to be extremely small after a month or two like in other fighting games.

Capcom if they want to survive needs to understand that while fighting games are awesome it's going to put them in a deeper hole each time they make one.  I love Street Fighter, but trying to rely on it as your main franchise in this market is becoming more and more suicide.  Bring back something like Mega Man or something that isn't just strictly for competitive communities.  Resident Evil is a lost cause at this point as well.

I play a lot of Ultra. Started with SSF4AE Ver.2012 last year. I main Honda, used to main Blanka and Bison. I play as multiple characters occasionally, but i'm best/most competitive with Honda. I'm in B class. I'm aight.

SFV looks pretty sick so far. It's too bad it's not going to be on the X1, limiting access to the game. But at least it's on the PC and it's going to be cross-platform so hopefully that helps.

I think if they made Ryu and the rest of the SF characters it would create even more interest and a different look.Give Ryu longer hair and a beard. Right now although the game looks pretty(especially the background) it doesn't look much different in terms of design of the characters.

The problem is that Capcom is so broke and is still trying to rely on SF to save the day.  They relied on SF for the past decade and it's not helping them.  Fighting games aren't that popular for big reasons and really I can only see this as almost a final nail in the coffin.  It may get good first day or month sales... but the population numbers are going to be extremely small after a month or two like in other fighting games.

Capcom if they want to survive needs to understand that while fighting games are awesome it's going to put them in a deeper hole each time they make one.  I love Street Fighter, but trying to rely on it as your main franchise in this market is becoming more and more suicide.  Bring back something like Mega Man or something that isn't just strictly for competitive communities.  Resident Evil is a lost cause at this point as well.

I unno, SF is still a pretty popular game and the game was made in 2008. I think SF can thrive since there's so much support from the devs and the entire community themselves.

Hopefully Capcom can find a good recipe for a game. An actual next gen Megaman game would be sick. One of the problems with Resident Evil is they lost touch with the survival horror aspect. What happens when a game tries to stay relevant is they tend to forget what made the game so popular. It wasn't the shiitty camera angles or the weird controls. It was the map design and puzzles.

One of the most hype and close games i've ever seen. I don't watch a lot of marvel, once and a while i do. But Nemo makes it interesting. Especially him being Japanese which from my understanding UmVC3 isn't as popular as it is in USA. 

It's a First To 20: FChamp vs Nemo

Another close series(recent). Smug(Dudley) vs Pepeday(El Fuerte) - First to 7.

Went to another local. I have no idea what screws me up online but I do 10x better I think at tournaments than online. Just went against one of the top 5 players in my scene and made a close set in our tournament. It was Yang vs Hugo and that matchup is the worst for Yang but I won a round and the other games were close. I think I could have won if I understood how to fight Hugo, hope to go against him in tournament again. Going to study the Hugo matchup now

For my 2nd tournament though I'm surprised I made it to losers Round 3, haven't gotten the standard 0-2 for tournaments everyone says you get lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Went to another local. I have no idea what screws me up online but I do 10x better I think at tournaments than online. Just went against one of the top 5 players in my scene and made a close set in our tournament. It was Yang vs Hugo and that matchup is the worst for Yang but I won a round and the other games were close. I think I could have won if I understood how to fight Hugo, hope to go against him in tournament again. Going to study the Hugo matchup now

For my 2nd tournament though I'm surprised I made it to losers Round 3, haven't gotten the standard 0-2 for tournaments everyone says you get lol

To be honest, i'm not a big fan of Yang. He does little damage. I've beaten an A(+) Yang and i'm not nearly as good as him. Yang has a lot of O, but even when you finally catch someone you end up doing little damage. 

Yang can be good, i just don't like the damage he deals out. Not enough imo. 

Maybe i just don't know enough about Yang, but from experience playing them online, even playing as Honda(unless Honda is favoured against Yang, i unno), i don't worry too much about him.

Edit: I'm NOT( trying to talk shit about Yang, it's just my opinion from playing against him online. I mean after all, i play as Honda who's considered top 3 worst character in the game lol

I'm going to start hitting up my local scene. I'm not too sure how stacked it is, but i've ran into some people from my city and they're all pretty good. I'm guessing everyone is at least a B Class rank. 

How thick was that tournament? How big are tournaments usually? 

To be honest, i'm not a big fan of Yang. He does little damage. I've beaten an A(+) Yang and i'm not nearly as good as him. Yang has a lot of O, but even when you finally catch someone you end up doing little damage.

Yang can be good, i just don't like the damage he deals out. Not enough imo.

Maybe i just don't know enough about Yang, but from experience playing them online, even playing as Honda(unless Honda is favoured against Yang, i unno), i don't worry too much about him.

Edit: I'm trying to talk shit about Yang, it's just my opinion from playing against him online. I mean after all, i play as Honda who's considered top 3 worst character in the game lol

I'm going to start hitting up my local scene. I'm not too sure how stacked it is, but i've ran into some people from my city and they're all pretty good. I'm guessing everyone is at least a B Class rank.

How thick was that tournament? How big are tournaments usually?

I agree Yang has pretty much no reason to play as him. Yun is better than him for sure but I connect with Yang and I have more fun with him so I just use him. The good thing is that not much people know how to fight Yang (we have like 3 Yangs total lol) so I can do some unexpected things to blow them up. Yang is about being smart and Yang does have good footsie buttons (which to be fair to online Yangs, you can't do too much whiff punishing online), a decent AA, punish fireballs, overhead, etc. He's not bad but he does have a high learning curve and you have to be smart to use him effectively. His st.lk is also the most amazing button, just thought I'd say that lol

Hondas favored in the matchup from the other Yangs I talked to. i learned we have the best Honda in Texas so I'm gonna try to learn that matchup from him soon lol. Right now he just bodies me lol.

My scene had like 58 people for the monthly we just had, weekly gives us about 30ish. half the players were really good the other half were ok and the 0-2 players weren't good. Top 3 players we have are Brolylegs, Fourwude (who beat infiltration in a mirror match in pools a few months back) and Hamad (really good Fei long who plays with a lot of top players)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree Yang has pretty much no reason to play as him. Yun is better than him for sure but I connect with Yang and I have more fun with him so I just use him. The good thing is that not much people know how to fight Yang (we have like 3 Yangs total lol) so I can do some unexpected things to blow them up. Yang is about being smart and Yang does have good footsie buttons (which to be fair to online Yangs, you can't do too much whiff punishing online), a decent AA, punish fireballs, overhead, etc. He's not bad but he does have a high learning curve and you have to be smart to use him effectively. His st.lk is also the most amazing button, just thought I'd say that lol

Hondas favored in the matchup from the other Yangs I talked to. i learned we have the best Honda in Texas so I'm gonna try to learn that matchup from him soon lol. Right now he just bodies me lol.

My scene had like 58 people for the monthly we just had, weekly gives us about 30ish. half the players were really good the other half were ok and the 0-2 players weren't good. Top 3 players we have are Brolylegs, Fourwude (who beat infiltration in a mirror match in pools a few months back) and Hamad (really good Fei long who plays with a lot of top players)

Lol i meant i'm NOT trying to talk shit about Yang. I saw in me edit i said i WAS trying to talk shit hahah

That's the most important thing, as long as you enjoy who you're playing as.

I still question people's decisions on the characters they play as though, like Dan lol. I mean like i said i play Honda so i'm being a hypocrite to some extent. Except i am open to playing as other characters. If i really want to compete i don't know how far Honda could take me so i keep an open mind to playing other characters like Bison and Rose. 

I like the way those characters play. I don't like Rose as a character personally, but i really love her moves. They're so good. 

My Honda might be a little better than my Bison right now. I do well with both of them online(both are B class). I think both Rose and Bison can compliment my play style. 

So i'd say maybe have a pocket Yun or something if you ever feel like it's your character holding you back aka losing confidence in your character. It happens to me from time to time.  

I'm still working on my rose and my stick skills. Still have a bit of a tough time doing dps and fbs from time to time(i could be more accurate and faster imo). 

I was practicing Ryu's DP>FADC> Ultra 1. I can do it pretty much every time if i'm on the right side of the screen, but i have a hard time doing his ultra 1 on the left side. I can't figure out the proper movement/feeling of the stick motion.

That's a solid scene to have. Even have bigger names like Brolylegs hitting those tourneys up. Shows that competition can get pretty serious. 

I'm hoping the FGC here has grown are continues to have similar numbers. When i was competing as local Halo tourney(this was like in 09 or 08), they also had SF4. There was probably about 30-40 people playing SF while there was like 10-20 people playing H3 lol 

Lol i meant i'm NOT trying to talk shit about Yang. I saw in me edit i said i WAS trying to talk shit hahah

That's the most important thing, as long as you enjoy who you're playing as.

I still question people's decisions on the characters they play as though, like Dan lol. I mean like i said i play Honda so i'm being a hypocrite to some extent. Except i am open to playing as other characters. If i really want to compete i don't know how far Honda could take me so i keep an open mind to playing other characters like Bison and Rose. 

I like the way those characters play. I don't like Rose as a character personally, but i really love her moves. They're so good. 

My Honda might be a little better than my Bison right now. I do well with both of them online(both are B class). I think both Rose and Bison can compliment my play style. 

So i'd say maybe have a pocket Yun or something if you ever feel like it's your character holding you back aka losing confidence in your character. It happens to me from time to time.  

I'm still working on my rose and my stick skills. Still have a bit of a tough time doing dps and fbs from time to time(i could be more accurate and faster imo). 

I was practicing Ryu's DP>FADC> Ultra 1. I can do it pretty much every time if i'm on the right side of the screen, but i have a hard time doing his ultra 1 on the left side. I can't figure out the proper movement/feeling of the stick motion.

That's a solid scene to have. Even have bigger names like Brolylegs hitting those tourneys up. Shows that competition can get pretty serious. 

I'm hoping the FGC here has grown are continues to have similar numbers. When i was competing as local Halo tourney(this was like in 09 or 08), they also had SF4. There was probably about 30-40 people playing SF while there was like 10-20 people playing H3 lol 

Lol yea I was assuming that was what you meant. And word, it's super satisfying getting the appropriate reads with Yang and getting those resets are just awesome. I'm planning on having some sort of pocket character for my bad matchups (mainly grapplers, Bison, Honda and Balrog). I think Ken does well against all of them so I may pick him up as he's not that hard to use anyways lol. 

Ye just practice and you'll be fine lol. I can do DP FADC pretty well on 1p side, 2p side makes me screw up lol. You'll get used to using the stick eventually, cant imagine using a pad anymore lol 

Yup and it's hella fun, I have a lot of room for improvement to get better than my scene so it's a lot of fun to learn new stuff. Your scene is probably bigger than it used to be so you should be fine 

Lol yea I was assuming that was what you meant. And word, it's super satisfying getting the appropriate reads with Yang and getting those resets are just awesome. I'm planning on having some sort of pocket character for my bad matchups (mainly grapplers, Bison, Honda and Balrog). I think Ken does well against all of them so I may pick him up as he's not that hard to use anyways lol. 

Ye just practice and you'll be fine lol. I can do DP FADC pretty well on 1p side, 2p side makes me screw up lol. You'll get used to using the stick eventually, cant imagine using a pad anymore lol 

Yup and it's hella fun, I have a lot of room for improvement to get better than my scene so it's a lot of fun to learn new stuff. Your scene is probably bigger than it used to be so you should be fine 

Yeah when you have a character you like it's definitely satisfying when you're showing off what your character can actually do. 

Ken's sick. If i ever got really good with shoto characters, i think that's who i'd go with. I prefer the characters like Ryu and Akuma more, but again Ken is so sick lol 

How do you hold the stick? I hold it the "Daigo" way as i've heard it being called on the line... where you have the stick between your pinky and ring finger. 

How's the motion for it on 1p side? I understand the motion on 2p, but i've tried a few different ways and i can't do it quick enough. Sometimes i get it, but it's not consistent. No where as consistent as 2p side. 

Holding off for SF 5 before I really start to focus on SF.

Also Third Strike is absolutely amazing

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you already a decent SF/FG player? Playing other FG's already?

Are you already a decent SF/FG player? Playing other FG's already?

I'm a decent Smash and P4AU player. Average at MVC3, MVC2, Third Strike and SF4, but know enough to hold my own. Been following SF since Third Strike, just never really put a lot of time into practicing it. Smash/Halo have always been my main focus. Might put Halo on the side for SF

• Upvote (+1) 1

Expect more SF5 at the end of this month! 

Daigo and GamerBee will be playing each other in SF5 @ Taipei Game Show 2015!

http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/13/more-street-fighter-v-gameplay-planned-for-taipei-game-show-2015/

I'm a decent Smash and P4AU player. Average at MVC3, MVC2, Third Strike and SF4, but know enough to hold my own. Been following SF since Third Strike, just never really put a lot of time into practicing it. Smash/Halo have always been my main focus. Might put Halo on the side for SF

Yeah as long as you got experience. I'm trying to "up" my skill before SF5 comes out. But i guess you want SF5 to feel fresh and new, getting back into it.  

You said you play Persona 4 too which is the perfect game for a beginner to start playing(not saying that you are). I just bought that game myself and i still very much consider myself a beginner and this game not only tells you how to do the moves, but explains the moves and why you're doing it. I really liked the tutorial for that game. 

Persona 4 is a game i still want to get into, just to learn more about FGs, but i always end up just playing SF online lol. 

Yeah i dropped Halo and picked up SF. There's no options to play FPS game son the console competitively besides CoD and i find those games dull. 

SF has a large skill gap and a ton of depth. I'll always have room to get better and better and the FG scene seem to gets bigger and bigger every year. It looks a lot more reliable than Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Expect more SF5 at the end of this month! 

Daigo and GamerBee will be playing each other in SF5 @ Taipei Game Show 2015!

http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/13/more-street-fighter-v-gameplay-planned-for-taipei-game-show-2015/

Yeah as long as you got experience. I'm trying to "up" my skill before SF5 comes out. But i guess you want SF5 to feel fresh and new, getting back into it.  

You said you play Persona 4 too which is the perfect game for a beginner to start playing(not saying that you are). I just bought that game myself and i still very much consider myself a beginner and this game not only tells you how to do the moves, but explains the moves and why you're doing it. I really liked the tutorial for that game. 

Persona 4 is a game i still want to get into, just to learn more about FGs, but i always end up just playing SF online lol. 

Yeah i dropped Halo and picked up SF. There's no options to play FPS game son the console competitively besides CoD and i find those games dull. 

SF has a large skill gap and a ton of depth. I'll always have room to get better and better and the FG scene seem to gets bigger and bigger every year. It looks a lot more reliable than Halo. 

I've just been more intrigued by FGs recently. There's not too much incentive to play P4A right now. Really good game, but won't actively start practicing it until it's announced for EVO. Yeah, I'm not sure how different SF V will feel from SF IV. So I'm just going to go into it with a fresh mindset.

And yeah the depth and skill gap is ridiculous. All the top players are so technically accurate that it comes down to footsies, spacing and mind games. Watching 2 top players go at it is like looking at art. The mind games that go into it is just insane. Same with Smash. The creativity of the combo system in Smash is unrivaled imo.

I've just been more intrigued by FGs recently. There's not too much incentive to play P4A right now. Really good game, but won't actively start practicing it until it's announced for EVO. Yeah, I'm not sure how different SF V will feel from SF IV. So I'm just going to go into it with a fresh mindset.

And yeah the depth and skill gap is ridiculous. All the top players are so technically accurate that it comes down to footsies, spacing and mind games. Watching 2 top players go at it is like looking at art. The mind games that go into it is just insane. Same with Smash. The creativity of the combo system in Smash is unrivaled imo.

Well i only have Persona 4 for the 360 so i don't have much of a reason to play it either because no one's playing it lol. Sucks 'cause i actually like it. 

I could see that. Smash Bros isn't your traditional fighting game.

Yeah those top level players are actually so talented. I compare fighting games to a musical instrument. At least with the fight stick anyways. I've thought about it that way for a while considering the techniques used, like pianio'ing and plinking. I even heard James Chen saying that playing FG's is like a fighting game. Everyone(figure of speech) is capable of learning an instrument. How far you take it is up to you. 

I used to play guitar so i noticed/felt similarities playing the game.

Honestly I would just suggest picking up USF4. If you understand the game really well now, sf5 will be much easier to learn

Like if you learn USF4 now you'll get a general idea of how to play a SF game and you can translate that to SF5. Reads, mind games, fireball game, jumping, wake up, etc will have elements in usf4 that will let you use that in SF5. Obviously we're all going to have to learn a bunch of stuff specifically for SF5 but that's once you know how to play a SF game in general. That's just my opinion though but i see the same opinion on SRK//r/sf4 of getting USF4 now since you got a year or two until SF5 releases

Also im glad Hamad won a major. Been too long since a Houston player won a major 

Third Strike is god. I can't enough since I sold my 360 to upgrade to a One (Why did I ever do that) I've been playing 3rd Strike on Fightcade/GGPO and getting my butt handed to me. I may pick up USF4 on PC very soon.

So what does everyone use when they play, Fightstick or gamepad. For me I own a qanba q1 it looks and feels great.

Oh yeah, i guess i can still get Third Strike on the 360 eh? Is there enough people who play that game on the 360? 

@  I use the Mad Catz Soul Cal 5 fight stick. 

Oh yeah, i guess i can still get Third Strike on the 360 eh? Is there enough people who play that game on the 360? 

@  I use the Soul Cal 5 fight stick. 

I managed to find matches but that was couple months ago. I think you can still find matches. But they are high ranks I think I was a rank 7 the last time I played. Most people I matched against played Ryu, Akuma and Alex. The character I main is a defensive Chun.

Honestly I would just suggest picking up USF4. If you understand the game really well now, sf5 will be much easier to learn

Like if you learn USF4 now you'll get a general idea of how to play a SF game and you can translate that to SF5. Reads, mind games, fireball game, jumping, wake up, etc will have elements in usf4 that will let you use that in SF5. Obviously we're all going to have to learn a bunch of stuff specifically for SF5 but that's once you know how to play a SF game in general. That's just my opinion though but i see the same opinion on SRK//r/sf4 of getting USF4 now since you got a year or two until SF5 releases

Also im glad Hamad won a major. Been too long since a Houston player won a major

I get the basics to USF4. I should clarify that I do have USF4 and I do play it casually. I just haven't been learning a lot of the character specific things. Haven't focused on frames, executing frame traps, max punishes, etc.

Third Strike is god. I can't enough since I sold my 360 to upgrade to a One (Why did I ever do that) I've been playing 3rd Strike on Fightcade/GGPO and getting my butt handed to me. I may pick up USF4 on PC very soon.

So what does everyone use when they play, Fightstick or gamepad. For me I own a qanba q1 it looks and feels great.

Decided to get the Madcatz Persona 4 Ultimax TE 2 stick earlier this year. Love it, but might try to use the PS4 controller on the PS4 version of USF4