Albatross

Here to discuss H2A netcode

Some of the internet speeds in here make me sad :/ I get 100 down, 10 up and 99% the connection is fine although I can still determine host when I see it. Especially when I'm dropping perfect 4's on kids and he gets his but I don't get mine -_- So I still see some minor issues with decent internet, but not nearly as bad as OP describes.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

My router tracks how much traffic is going through it, so I decided to see how the connection looked for H2A, H2C and H3. The results were interesting.

H2A:

HaKJ1Ab.png

The H2A traffic is just...strange. It was a FFA and the action was pretty constant. When it spikes, it nears my max speed for uploads, which is around 80KB/s. I'm not sure why it has those peaks and valleys like that, but it doesn't look right.

H2A is the only game I noticed I get constant yellow / red bar in, and I've heard about people only having internet issues with that game in particular. You think it could be because it's the only one that doesn't connect to servers and keep trying to contact them? That would explain the spikes.

I got 150 down 20 up and h2a is only bad for me when i play on someone who has a terrible connection and shouldn't be hosting in the first place lol

H2A is the only game I noticed I get constant yellow / red bar in, and I've heard about people only having internet issues with that game in particular. You think it could be because it's the only one that doesn't connect to servers and keep trying to contact them? That would explain the spikes.

No idea, but there is no way those spikes can be a good thing, haha. It makes no sense to send the data in short bursts when you need a continuous stream of information for the game to run correctly.

Also keep in mind that those spikes are pretty far apart, since that is over ~10 minute period.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm really really frustrated right now. 

So 343 releases another update and says that this one is focusing only on multiplayer. So now several smaller issues have been fixed by them and it is possible (most of the time) to find games within seconds. All good, but it doesn't matter how fast I find games when every single h2a game since launch, is unplayable due to the lag we are having. So why are small and unimportant problems fixed immediately, while this problem still occurs.

I don't understand why this problem isn't highest priority for them? Bravo only mentions that the team is aware of that issue, but since 3 weeks I have a 70€ game at home, that doesn't work. 

At the moment the people mentioning their "big" problems make me really mad. They are actually able to play the game. They can play custom 4v4's and even mm.

It isn't the optimum solution, but at least it is a solution. On my end all I can do, is play 1v1's for the most part, 2v2's also seem to lag most of the time. We all waited for the remake of H2 and 343 delivered sh**.

Still not possible for me to scrim with the team and practice for HCS, which by the way has already started. So how can they start a league, when a lot of players still are not able to play the game and participate on their tournaments? That is not only really sad and frustrating it also tells me how loyal they are to their fans. Great job 343. Waited 3 Weeks to be able to play the game and always was calm and respectful, but you know what: F*** off, you ignorant, piece of s***, for releasing such an unfinished game and being not able to make the game playable within 3 weeks. 343 you ruined Halo. Thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can confirm this. A friend of mine is using a 6.016 kbit/s and 512 kbit/s Upstream connection and he hasn't had a single playable game in h2a. All other games in MCC on the other hand have been working for him. I wonder if this is yet another side-effect of the game using p2p rather than dedis or if they just completely dropped the ball on h2a's netcode.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can confirm this. A friend of mine is using a 6.016 kbit/s and 512 kbit/s Upstream connection and he hasn't had a single playable game in h2a. All other games in MCC on the other hand have been working for him. I wonder if this is yet another side-effect of the game using p2p rather than dedis or if they just completely dropped the ball on h2a's netcode.

I had myself teleporting in H2A before. This hasn't been happening in any other game so far (if the connection sucks it goes to black screen ot disconnects) until...!

I got a game of H4 BTB and the same issues as with H2A arose... Aka teleporting and getting shot through walls due to late registration but really bad and delayed by whole seconds. Weird!

• Upvote (+1) 1

My router tracks how much traffic is going through it, so I decided to see how the connection looked for H2A, H2C and H3. The results were interesting.

H2A:

HaKJ1Ab.png

H2C:

HcGlWNh.png

H3:

LW58jvt.png

The orange is download and the gray is upload.

The H2A traffic is just...strange. It was a FFA and the action was pretty constant. When it spikes, it nears my max speed for uploads, which is around 80KB/s. I'm not sure why it has those peaks and valleys like that, but it doesn't look right.

As you can see from the H2C data, it doesn't require more than 30KB/s download and about 20KB/s upload. It is very lean and almost everyone should have those speeds. It's also steady, unlike H2A.

I didn't get much H3 data because I hate it and it crashed while I was playing a 4v2 and I just said screw it. But the data looks a lot like H2C but requiring just a tad more bandwidth.

I didn't get any H1 data because I didn't feel like sitting in Team Slayer for 10 years while waiting for the other people to vote H1. But if I ever get the H1 data, I'll upload it.

Have you sent those pics to Bravo? That could help them figure out what's going on imo

I don't think this is a networking issue as much as it is a software issue. Specifically a programming mistake.

Have you sent those pics to Bravo? That could help them figure out what's going on imo

It might help them but literally anyone that knows anything about the subject at 343, assuming they bothered to look, knows all about that. Very similar pictures have been posted all over the place including on waypoint. It wouldn't hurt to try though. The best guess I've seen someone make about that spike is that the game is trying to swap/utilize a different protocol fails and spams requests before defaulting back to one that's working. That's a pretty crazy guess at best though.

Feel like 343 is ignoring our issues with the game. Minor problems do get fixed like emblems and other things, but although they are aware that a lot of peolpe still can't play h2a, they are either ignoring it, or are to incompetent to fix this. Nearly 4 weeks after release and I now find games, but can't play them because it is too damn laggy. If this problem isn't fixed until Christmas, I'm gonna return my digital copy, not sure how this works, but I want my money back. 70€ and I got nothing for it. 

Well that's great. Guess I won't be competing in H2A then seeing as ACL aren't doing Halo LANs anymore :/

I'm in pretty much the same boat, I was looking at putting a team together to at least play online, but it's just near impossible to play competitively when you experience lag every single h2a game. As said above this is a BRAND NEW issue in terms of how this affects us in a halo game.

I haven't touched this game in over 7 days just because I know this issue needs to be fixed before I can even think about playing competitively again.

So frustrating...

I really do hope this is fixed because I don't have the option of 'upgrading' my internet like most people, I'm stuck with what I've got and normally it's enough. It's just MCC and h2a that using this increased bandwidth which is incredible frustrating!

#343fail #343bola

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm in pretty much the same boat, I was looking at putting a team together to at least play online, but it's just near impossible to play competitively when you experience lag every single h2a game. As said above this is a BRAND NEW issue in terms of how this affects us in a halo game.

I haven't touched this game in over 7 days just because I know this issue needs to be fixed before I can even think about playing competitively again.

So frustrating...

I really do hope this is fixed because I don't have the option of 'upgrading' my internet like most people, I'm stuck with what I've got and normally it's enough. It's just MCC and h2a that using this increased bandwidth which is incredible frustrating!

#343fail #343bola

H2c bros, much better game than h2a anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H2c bros, much better game than h2a anyways.

Amen, I haven't been on in quite a long time are you finding games in it 4v4 in h2c?

I'll be playing that when I get back on next.

H1/H2C >

You know whats funny about that statement?

That is WITH anti-aiming. Imagine 343 fixed it like they should have a few days after release? Omg, I would never get off em. Unfortunately H2A is the ONLY game on MCC that doesn't have anti-aiming, go figure.

Still waiting on 343 to actually fix the netcode in h2a, maybe it's just not a priority? 
I know lots of people who don't have 1MB uploads and we just simply can't play h2a at all which is the only real competitive league...
Really frustrating, I guess halo 5 beta will be out before they fix this mess of a game.
Argh :(.