RyanW

Like the games it contains, the MCC has set a standard

Rough and buggy launch aside, the idea of a unified UI that ties all 4 games together instead of having to launch an entire game and deciding "Oh I want to play X now" but you have to restart the entire game. The amount of content we get for such a small price with such easy access. All 4 campaigns, 100 MP maps all on their original engine, 4000+ gamerscore, additional features such as campaign playlists, scoring and timing across all 4 games and so much more.

Seeing something like this is unbelievable and you don't even have all the details included such as over 100 Maps:

halo_master_chief_CELG.jpg

Just like the games that are in the collection(Halo 2 with the virtual couch and Halo 3 with the inclusion of a map editor and theater) Halo could have just changed the way HD collections are made in the gaming industry. Imagine a Gears of War or Modern Warfare Collection and it's not just campaign. Access to every map, co op mode, and more.

You can make fun of the launch all you want, but I think Halo has set another standard that developers will need to reach for.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I mean, yeah. It's just infuriating that it's also apart of the trend of broken games, and even more infuriating given the circumstances surrounding it and both a past and a future launch.

It wouldn't have received so much flak if Halo 4 wasn't stupid, Halo 5 didn't look like it will be stupid, and that a few of the recent next-gen games weren't buggy as fuck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry I laughed a tiny bit at the "such easy access" part XD

But after reading the reddit AMA from someone whose working on MCC, I truly..or 90% believe this is not "exactly the same as H2 MM" back in the day.

The architecture is different, the technology is different, the situation is different, nothing of this feat has been done before.. ever.

not impossible to make, but M$ gave them an insane dead line.

Props to the engineers when they do make it work silky smooth, cuz correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think anyone has done this before.

still annoying as *uck tho.

What?
If I add up the features that halo1-4 have then compared them with 1-4 on the collection  (heck even including h2a mp), the one outside the collection has infinitely more to offer and I have already paid for them.
halo 1? mcc is missing the halo editing kit, has worse netcode than default xbc, worse netcode than hpc, and tons of bugs. porting a port. they really dropped the ball on this one
halo 2? pretty much the same so theres that. NVM campaign is slower and lacking vista's forge.
halo 3? audio is broken, theater is worse, file sharing is worse and the file share experience is worse.
halo 4? i don't even know.

And the launch experience is the worst ever. The UI doesn't even work. The way MCC will affect other HD remakes is by showing other developers what not to do. The only thing MCC does better than the originals is dedicated servers that are currently broken and not used for customs (where they are arguably more important). 4 separate ports would have been better than the mcc like they did with halo1 on the 360. Right now, I have to restart MCC after every game, so I don't see how loading up a game once to play 100+ matches is worse.

Yeah this post ended up pretty negative, but false positivity is worse in my eyes. Maybe they give us everything i mentioned previously in my post, but they have mentioned no plans of it.

also halo1+4 is less than 60$ at my local gamestore assuming you don't already own them. and the bulk of that price is from halo4.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

None of that shit matters if the games aren't 100% accurate and work properly.

Sure ignore the first 5 words of the thread.

• Upvote (+1) 6

What?

If I add up the features that halo1-4 have then compared them with 1-4 on the collection  (heck even including h2a mp), the one outside the collection has infinitely more to offer and I have already paid for them.

halo 1? mcc is missing the halo editing kit, has worse netcode than default xbc, worse netcode than hpc, and tons of bugs. porting a port. they really dropped the ball on this one

halo 2? pretty much the same so theres that. NVM campaign is slower and lacking vista's forge.

halo 3? audio is broken, theater is worse, file sharing is worse and the file share experience is worse.

halo 4? i don't even know.

And the launch experience is the worst ever. The UI doesn't even work. The way MCC will affect other HD remakes is by showing other developers what not to do. The only thing MCC does better than the originals is dedicated servers that are currently broken and not used for customs (where they are arguably more important). 4 separate ports would have been better than the mcc like they did with halo1 on the 360. Right now, I have to restart MCC after every game, so I don't see how loading up a game once to play 100+ matches is worse.

Yeah this post ended up pretty negative, but false positivity is worse in my eyes. Maybe they give us everything i mentioned previously in my post, but they have mentioned no plans of it.

also halo1+4 is less than 60$ at my local gamestore assuming you don't already own them. and the bulk of that price is from halo4.

You literally missed the entire point of the topic.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You literally missed the entire point of the topic.

I think he got it. I think he said if the product isn't all that good then what's the point?

My thoughts exactly.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"You can make fun of the launch all you want, but I think Halo has set another standard that developers will need to reach for."

If this game was at least semi-working at launch I would be more inclined to agree with you. But I actually think this disaster of a launch (and well after it's launch) will actually scare developers away from doing something this ambitious.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think he got it. I think he said if the product isn't all that good then what's the point?

My thoughts exactly.

The entire point of the topic was to show how MCC set an example for future 'collection' packages. 60 bucks for all this content. Ryan literally starts the topic off by saying "Rough and buggy launch aside".

It isn't about MCC being broken as shit, we all realize that it is and repeating it at this point is pointless. He isn't trying to say that it set an example and it is fucking perfect in every aspect because we all know that isn't true but four games (five if you count H2A's mp as its own), a beta for Halo 5 and Nightfall - all under one unified UI. 

It is a great example of what a collection can do and what future ones should do, obviously they should work at launch though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Rough and buggy launch" cuts out a huge part of the upside of this collection. 

All they're proving is that it can't be done right. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think some people just read the thread title and make a reply before reading what the op has too say.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Imagine a Gears of War or Modern Warfare Collection and it's not just campaign. Access to every map, co op mode, and more.

Gears of War 1 multiplayer on dedicated servers. I would pay $60 for that alone.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Gears of War 1 multiplayer on dedicated servers. I would pay $60 for that alone.

I would sell my soul to Satan just so I can play GoW and GoW 2 with a proper Ranking System, 60FPS and Dedis.

I would sell my soul to Satan just so I can play GoW and GoW 2 with a proper Ranking System, 60FPS and Dedis.

I really loved all 3 of the original GoW games. That would be a really hard decision which one to focus on for me. 

I really loved all 3 of the original GoW games. That would be a really hard decision which one to focus on for me. 

They should just do a GoW collection, revive the series, get dev support with an inhouse run league like LCS/HCS and make Gears relevant again

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sure ignore the first 5 words of the thread.

that's how I do it bruh. 5 games in the collection and it's buggy as fuck, how is that doing it right? nevermind me though, continue...

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 8

that's how I do it bruh. 5 games in the collection and it's buggy as fuck, how is that doing it right? nevermind me though, continue...

You're still missing the point.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You're still missing the point.

No I get the point. I just think this thread would mean more if this "unified experience" worked 100%. I think devs would look at the failures of the MCC like "is it really worth it?" or "can we actually pull that off without it being so buggy?"

but...continue

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 5

No I get the point. I just think this thread would mean more if this "unified experience" worked 100%. I think devs would look at the failures of the MCC like "is it really worth it?" or "can we actually pull that off without it being so buggy?"

but...continue

So you're understanding the point but arguing for the sake of arguing?

Shocker.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So you're understanding the point but arguing for the sake of arguing?

Shocker.

and you're sitting there focused on me arguing for the sake of arguing? 

Shocker.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I read the title of the thread, and honestly thought it was going to say

[set the bar] for worst launch of all time.

I agree that the UI and the sheer amount of content is staggering, its actually an amazing idea and one that I wished really worked. The fact that it works at all is probably a marvel in and of itself.

I'm in the camp though that I wish it really just worked. It mires what they've done in the current state that it's in. If it never ends up working, I would consider it a failure, regardless of how ambitious it was.

While they have set a standard regarding what can be done within a single "disc", you have to consider that half of the MP was patched in, 75% of the games themselves (perhaps more) wasn't their own work -- making it reasonable not to overcharge consumers for it -- and that a product like this also requires a non-set deadline, as the launch demonstrated, because of the amount of content which requires extensive testing, and then re-testing after each new build, and so on. Being realistic, $60 per game sold would not cover all of this, let alone make it worthwhile, and decent publishers that aren't Microsoft promoting their flagship console title would see that, and not OK it.

This also worked because Halo is a unique franchise and had so many different experiences that people were fond of over each title, and even an average-looking game like CE became timeless. Anyone sees Halo CE on a screen and they're like "I remember this!".

I mean sure, don't get me wrong, the amount of content for that price is unreal, but Microsoft knew that the collection would sell consoles and make it profitable in that sense. For the game alone, it isn't worth it in the slightest (maybe it was for MCC seeing how little testing it was put through), and I doubt anyone will ever go for something similar to this ever. Except perhaps Square Enix with Final Fantasy. I can't think of another franchise that is as timeless and popular as Halo is across each individual title.

Developers can see this and take notes. Like any other game.

Yes it was an ambitious project but it's obvious it didn't have enough dev time. That's why it's doing so poor right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd buy a Playstation for a SOCOM collection.

(A series that was also seriously hurt by the 'F' name but that's another story.)