Sign in to follow this  
Lucifer

Smoothness Past Halo's Had

Not everyone plays IS/BTB IS.

I gave up on PGL 1v1s because it's not a question of who has the better shot, it's who has their Astros cranked up the loudest so you can hear their footsteps. It's bad in every single playlist that isn't Infinity slayer unless you have constant explosions/gunfire around you.

Learn to stutter step  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

I guess it doesn't hurt to hope for the best. Hopefully with all the feedback they've received, they can revive the Halo hype. :bravo:

I like how much attention this thread is getting. It's good to know i'm not the only one that felt this way about Halo.

Maybe 343 will see this and give us back the smooth responsive simple Halo we want and not this clunky Halo 4 stuff.

I really hope if Bravo and Quinn really have a voice at 343, that they are talking about the physics and smoothness of the game and not just the material things like weapons and red x's. Those material things do go a long way and do help a lot but its just the Icing, you need a cake to put the icing on and we do not have a good enough cake lol

I actually felt like this game was the smoothest movement wise yet. I have had no problems and have complemented this game since the beginning on how the feel was.

I agree except it's just that the movement speed is too slow to compensate for sprint.

I really hope you're just trolling.  The movement is by far the worst in Halo 4.  It would be about the same as Reach, but the sprint system in Halo 4 compounds a lot of the problems.  The acceleration/deceleration make for unresponsive movement, and it's much worse when changing directions (like strafing).  The Reach engine (which Halo 4 uses) also has a lot of sketchy physics problems that complicates movement.  You have a tendency to bounce off of flat surfaces if you're jumping forward into them.  You'll notice this when you're trying to jump on top of something, but barely miss.  Instead of hitting it, and then sliding straight down, instead you essentially ricochet backwards while slightly gaining height.  It's also possible to fall off of a ledge even though you're technically standing on it.  You'll mostly notice this when you have to crouch to make a jump to a ledge, and when you uncrouch your Spartan starts to stand up, but then the uncrouch animation makes you slide off the ledge.  Those are just a couple examples of what makes movement feels worse.       

If you still have a copy of Halo 2 lying around I suggest you pop it in your 360 and run around a map like Lockout that has a lot of vertical movement opportunities.  Directional changes are responsive, and you're even somewhat able to change directions mid-air.  You're able to stand on narrow surfaces comfortably.  If you're feet land on top of a surface you can't slide off it.  All this is important for making simple jumps like Elbow/S1 to S2 , and open ramp jump up to BR3.  Do each of those jumps a few times in Halo 2, and then go back to Halo 4.  Open Shutout in Forge, and then try to make the "same" jumps.  It should be apparent how awful Halo 4's movement is after the first attempt or two.  The maps aren't identical of course, but it's close enough to give you an idea.  The reason to do this in forge is because you'll be falling off the map a lot if you try to make the elbow to s2 jump with the same quickness as you would Halo 2.  If you really want to experiment you could also add/change pieces around those areas until you feel like you're able to accomplish the jumps with the same amount of speed and ease as Halo 2.  The difference in surface areas you end up with is a good indicator of the natural margin of error that's creeping into your movement due to sketchy mechanics.   

Hopefully those examples were clear enough.  I feel like movement mechanics in general are overlooked when it comes to pointing out major problems with modern Halo's.  They've done a great job of making your Spartan feel like it has weight, and is actually moving in a realistic three dimensional space, but the "arcade" feeling of the earlier games was much more fun, accurate, and skillful.

See, this is where preference and opinion come in. I prefer the way H4 moves and feels. I don't feel that you should be able to jump and strafe mid-air. I also like when you jump onto a ramp and jump off how much further you go. I enjoy all of the things that H4 has implemented movement wise. The way you move when on the front base in front of box on simplex. The way you move when you strafe, how all of your movements need to be meaningful, or else nonexistent. In this game, all of the movements make sense, and that is what I enjoy most..