Sign in to follow this  
Lucifer

Smoothness Past Halo's Had

Past Halo's where very smooth, the character movement, graphics, aesthetics, and sounds all co existed in a way that felt very natural/intuitive almost like you where a Model walking down the Runway.

This is something that was not implemented into Halo 4 very well, in fact it's the complete opposite...

The maps like Heaven, Monolith...etc (wether they are good maps or not, thats a different subject) all have very smooth architecture/aesthetics/designs that conflicts and contradicts the way the character actually feels and moves...making the game feel sloppy, unnatural, and very unintuitive.

If my spartan reloads i only want to hear the gun reload, i don't want to hear his armpits rub together like some slob. When my spartan walks around i don't want to mistake my own footsteps for someone else's. When my spartan jumps, i don't want it to feel like an atomic bomb when i hit the ground. When i strafe or see someone else strafe/walk around i want it to look smooth and correct, not like some slob wobbling around. When i turn on my Halo 4 game, i shouldn't have to turn down my TV more than natural to play it. The sounds in this game are just horridness and makes me want to mute my TV. Bungie was very good about choosing their sounds carefully that a gamer could listen to for hours without getting a headache...

I personally feel that these are all very important aspects in the way a Halo game plays, feels, and looks.

Every game before Halo 4 (even Reach) had the very smooth, natural, intuitive feel that made it possible to play those games for hours...

This is something that needs to be brought back to Halo!

PS: I am in no way trying to bash on Halo 4, just stating something that i feel is very important to Halo that needs to be implemented back into the next Halo game carefully.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The footsteps in Halo CE give me a headache, so Bungie makes mistakes too.

But yeah, 343 hopefully will step up their game with sound design.

If my spartan reloads i only want to hear the gun reload, i don't want to hear his armpits rub together like some slob.

I think you're imagining things. 

When my spartan walks around i don't want to mistake my own footsteps for someone else's.

Stealth package for silent footsteps.

When my spartan jumps, i don't want it to feel like an atomic bomb when i hit the ground.

It's realistic.

When i strafe or see someone else strafe/walk around i want it to look smooth and correct, not like some slob wobbling around.

Halo 2 had no proper animations for someone strafing. Halo 4 does.

:frank: 

Stealth package for silent footsteps.

Not everyone plays IS/BTB IS.

I gave up on PGL 1v1s because it's not a question of who has the better shot, it's who has their Astros cranked up the loudest so you can hear their footsteps. It's bad in every single playlist that isn't Infinity slayer unless you have constant explosions/gunfire around you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i dont give a fuck if its proper animations i just want it to be smooth and responsive. 

Exactly i rather have a very smooth looking spartan that has a consistent movement... than a clunky looking spartan that looks like he's having a seizure every time he moves back an fourth.

Exactly i rather have a very smooth looking spartan that has a consistent movement... than a clunky looking spartan that looks like he's having a seizure every time he moves back an fourth.

Buuuuuuuut that's the Halo 2 strafe right there...definitely not the Halo 4 strafe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Buuuuuuuut that's the Halo 2 strafe right there...definitely not the Halo 4 strafe.

Incorrect....

Halo 2...etc (anything before halo 4, even reach, had a smooth strafe)

you can just tell by the crouch/tea bag in halo 4 compared to the rest of the games to understand the game physics in halo 4.

tea bag in halo 4 and it'll look like he's having a seizure...

Any other Halo had a smooth crouch/ tea bag...

i used crouch as an example because its a perfect example of how the spartan is gonna move in the game...

Incorrect....

Halo 2...etc (anything before halo 4, even reach, had a smooth strafe)

you can just tell by the crouch/tea bag in halo 4 compared to the rest of the games to understand the game physics in halo 4.

tea bag in halo 4 and it'll look like he's having a seizure...

Any other Halo had a smooth crouch/ tea bag...

i used crouch as an example because its a perfect example of how the spartan is gonna move in the game...

Dude. 

It's not enough you have terribly petty complaints, you have to have terrible argument also, eh?

The crouch in all the games could look 'seizurey' if someone pressed the button rapidly enough. The full animation doesn't play out completely and the point of smooth transition between animations is really only at the ends of said animations, not in the midst of them. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

To expand on my earlier post, I feel myself toying in my mind on whether or not an opponent near me (because obviously I can hear him, H4 Spartans are Transformers) can hear me, and whether or not they use a headset too, or not. That leaves me double backing in certain situations because maybe he plays with sound coming out of a TV that's turned down or he plays with the best headset on the market with them turned all the way up. Competitive Halo is about positioning, communication and your shot (amongst other things), not about footsteps being so loud that it actually lets the enemy team know where you are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To expand on my earlier post, I feel myself toying in my mind on whether or not an opponent near me (because obviously I can hear him, H4 Spartans are Transformers) can hear me, and whether or not they use a headset too, or not. That leaves me double backing in certain situations because maybe he plays with sound coming out of a TV that's turned down or he plays with the best headset on the market with them turned all the way up. Competitive Halo is about positioning, communication and your shot (amongst other things), not about footsteps being so loud that it actually lets the enemy team know where you are.

Now this part is true. I really hate when I have Stealth and headset tryhards are always hearing me crouching. Really. Shitty. 

Now this part is true. I really hate when I have Stealth and headset tryhards are always hearing me crouching. Really. Shitty. 

I know, it's a complete joke. I can literally hear anyone in my vicinity reloading, crouching, walking and sprinting. I miss the footsteps from previous Halo titles. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it's quieter to sprint in Halo 4 than just walk. It should be the opposite, like in Reach, where if you wanted to sprint, you'd have to give up your stealth because of the loud, panting sound it made.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dude. 

It's not enough you have terribly petty complaints, you have to have terrible argument also, eh?

The crouch in all the games could look 'seizurey' if someone pressed the button rapidly enough. The full animation doesn't play out completely and the point of smooth transition between animations is really only at the ends of said animations, not in the midst of them. 

You don't get it...

The argument sounds stupid because i've already put it so simple that if i try to simplify it even more then it is going to sound stupid. Your argument is asking me to speak more in depth about something so fucking simple a baby can understand it...

It's almost like your just trying to antagonize me. You read the first post and replied to it...leave it at that and don't try to look for another argument.

People replied with something you don't agree with so your just trying to keep defending your argument... and i respect that but your defending something that isn't logical in Halo, if you can't see that then your just too stupid to be in this subject. 

We are not hear to argue or debate... this thread is for the contribution of making Halo Smooth again...

...Not to find a way to live with the shit that were given.

And if your wondering why i didn't reply to your statement about the seizure spartan...it's because its too stupid to argue about, LIKE i said before....this subject is not something to argue, as any argument against it will only make Halo worse.... 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I completely agree with the OP.  The BR honestly sounds so ugly after listening to it over and over again...like a terrible screeching noise that I cannot get out of my head.  

I frequently find myself mistaking my footsteps for someone else's.  In H4, you can be standing completely still and barely move your left thumbstick forward and it will sound like Godzilla just took 4 giant steps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with most of the OP other than Reach being smooth. lol even after the TU which made me play again for the first time in well over a year, the biggest problem I had with the game that made me still hate it was that it felt like I was playing Halo hockey: Spartans on ice. Not to mention the character movement in general didn't look like any of the first three Halo's either.

Also, remember this? On LAN?

I agree with most of the OP other than Reach being smooth. lol even after the TU which made me play again for the first time in well over a year, the biggest problem I had with the game that made me still hate it was that it felt like I was playing Halo hockey: Spartans on ice. Not to mention the character movement in general didn't look like any of the first three Halo's either.

Also, remember this? On LAN?

The Skrafe haha but yeah just look at the way that game blends all the mechanics together to make it feel intuitive, very smooooooooooth

The Skrafe haha but yeah just look at the way that game blends all the mechanics together to make it feel intuitive, very smooooooooooth

But so we agree that Reach is the scourge of Halo and should be avoided like the name Voldemort?

But so we agree that Reach is the scourge of Halo and should be avoided like the name Voldemort?

lol i like MLG/No Sprint/No Bloom Reach but thats a different subject.

Movement hasn't felt properly smooth since Halo 2. In Halo 3 there's a feeling of slipperiness and slowing down when changing directions, it's significantly worse in Reach (in addition to them both having notably frustrating aim acceleration, again more significant in Reach). Halo 4's movement feels somewhere between the clunkiness of H3 and Reach to me - it comes to a complete stop before changing directions like Reach did but the movement itself feels a little more fluid, that's possibly just the speed difference. Aim acceleration is still there, but it doesn't feel as sluggish as it was in 3 & Reach.

Really, every Halo game on the 360 should just be ignored as a basis for core mechanics like moving and aiming. The only lessons to be learned are what not to do and a few things to take away from various sandboxes (like the Grenade Launcher) to recognise as good ideas.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I find it hilarious how when you go to strafe left and right in Halo 4 you just end up standing still

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reach had the best mechanics of all the games, obviously it had other issues. Halo 4 feels really clunky and the movement doesn't feel very natrual

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually felt like this game was the smoothest movement wise yet. I have had no problems and have complemented this game since the beginning on how the feel was.

I find it hilarious how when you go to strafe left and right in Halo 4 you just end up standing still

You come to a complete stop before changing directions in Halo 4 and Reach.

The forge noises in Halo Reach were a bit annoying, but the Forge noises in H4 are HORRENDOUS. Its like theres cyborg eagles having an orgy in my headset, i have to turn the volume all the way down

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually felt like this game was the smoothest movement wise yet. I have had no problems and have complemented this game since the beginning on how the feel was.

I really hope you're just trolling.  The movement is by far the worst in Halo 4.  It would be about the same as Reach, but the sprint system in Halo 4 compounds a lot of the problems.  The acceleration/deceleration make for unresponsive movement, and it's much worse when changing directions (like strafing).  The Reach engine (which Halo 4 uses) also has a lot of sketchy physics problems that complicates movement.  You have a tendency to bounce off of flat surfaces if you're jumping forward into them.  You'll notice this when you're trying to jump on top of something, but barely miss.  Instead of hitting it, and then sliding straight down, instead you essentially ricochet backwards while slightly gaining height.  It's also possible to fall off of a ledge even though you're technically standing on it.  You'll mostly notice this when you have to crouch to make a jump to a ledge, and when you uncrouch your Spartan starts to stand up, but then the uncrouch animation makes you slide off the ledge.  Those are just a couple examples of what makes movement feels worse.       

If you still have a copy of Halo 2 lying around I suggest you pop it in your 360 and run around a map like Lockout that has a lot of vertical movement opportunities.  Directional changes are responsive, and you're even somewhat able to change directions mid-air.  You're able to stand on narrow surfaces comfortably.  If you're feet land on top of a surface you can't slide off it.  All this is important for making simple jumps like Elbow/S1 to S2 , and open ramp jump up to BR3.  Do each of those jumps a few times in Halo 2, and then go back to Halo 4.  Open Shutout in Forge, and then try to make the "same" jumps.  It should be apparent how awful Halo 4's movement is after the first attempt or two.  The maps aren't identical of course, but it's close enough to give you an idea.  The reason to do this in forge is because you'll be falling off the map a lot if you try to make the elbow to s2 jump with the same quickness as you would Halo 2.  If you really want to experiment you could also add/change pieces around those areas until you feel like you're able to accomplish the jumps with the same amount of speed and ease as Halo 2.  The difference in surface areas you end up with is a good indicator of the natural margin of error that's creeping into your movement due to sketchy mechanics.   

Hopefully those examples were clear enough.  I feel like movement mechanics in general are overlooked when it comes to pointing out major problems with modern Halo's.  They've done a great job of making your Spartan feel like it has weight, and is actually moving in a realistic three dimensional space, but the "arcade" feeling of the earlier games was much more fun, accurate, and skillful.

• Upvote (+1) 1