Teapot

Halo MCC's "Adopt a Noob" Program

Teachers:

1) Teapot Yo - Halo CE / Halo 2 / Halo 3. (EST - NJ.) Specializes in teaching H1 specifics as well as general MLG gametypes across the rest of the series. Team orientation and how to be selfless.

2) Frosty Evades  - Halo CE / Halo 2 / Halo 3 / Halo 2A. (CST, KY.) Specializes in objective control, teamplay, set ups/strategies and overall how to play smart. @@Frosty

3) Mossity - Halo 2A, Halo 3. (EST - NY) Objective Work, Positioning and Communication, becoming a better FFA player. @@Animosity

4) Ya Boy Rolex - H3, H2A ( EST - CT) Specializes in playing smart in team settings and how to be as effective as possible if you are still working on your shot. Any interest in H3 jump techniques should probably be passed his way too. @@Rolex

5) V i iv y a r d - Halo 2 / Halo 3 / Halo 2A (EST - PA) - specializes in objective work, FFA, communication, useful jumps and how to improve overall. Is able to convey this easily to new players  @@Vinyarddd

Students:

1) Obby5Halo CE and Halo 2. (CST, Minnesota.) Looking for Halo CE information involving tricks/tips for spawns, nades, and timing control. Needs help improving in 4v4 Halo 2 scenarios as well as in FFAs. @@obby5

2) XGN Squeak Vii or Squeak ViiHalo CE. (CST, Oklahoma.) All Halo CE related info from nade points, spawn tips/tricks, map control and how to execute at higher levels. @@Squeak

3) V0odooman (first "o" is a zero) - Halo 2A (AST, New Brunswick, above Maine) seeking improvement in team positioning, advanced nade techniques as well as jumps and our jump routes. @@Voodooman

4) The Ascendants - Halo 2 / Halo 3 / Halo 2A (CST, Louisiana) Seeking improvement in all areas across each mentioned game. Map control, communication, positioning and general info. @@Ascendants

5) Too Freakin Bad - Halo 2 / Halo 2A (EST, Michigan) - 4v4 basics for slayer/objective work, BR improvement, knowledge of when and how to properly push as a team @@BadStrafe

6) The Hitmeng Halo CE / Halo 2A (EST, New York) Crash course in advanced CE, spawns, weapon control, map control etc as well as Halo 2A competitive gametypes. @@Ac3phale

7) Beamimpact - Halo CE (unknown) Looking for more advanced or knowledgeable people to scrim for 2v2 in order to provide each other with constructive individual and team advice. @@beamimpact - best idea in this thread imo ;)

8) VinnyMendoza - Halo CE (EST - Ontario) - Most likely not a noob. Crash course in nade points, spawn points, but is seeking help in becoming as effective as possible against higher tiered players. @@VinnyMendoza

9) Nqtive - Halo 2A (CST - ??) - Seeking help for competitive gametypes in prep for UGC's H2A tournament. Possibly scrims, but is seeking advice on strategies and positioning. @@Nqtive

10) King Stronghand - Halo CE / Halo 2 / Halo 2A (EST - PA) - Just about anything and everything these games have to offer under competitive gametypes including strats, teamwork, communication and how to be effective. @@KingStronghand

11) Deathics - Halo 2A (CST - TX) - seeking improvement on decision making and becoming an effective team player. @@DeathSperado

12) Mudkip Defect - Halo CE (MST - NM) - Crash course in all major areas, spawns, nade points, and the positioning entailed in regards to all of this + timing weapons @

13) Sneether - Halo CE / Halo 2 / Halo 2A (EST - MA) - call-outs, in game situational awareness, communication and how to control areas of the map and the pace of the game. @@Halo3Kid

14) Biscxits - Halo 2A (EST - MI) - Positioning and mentality for competitive settings, and how to improve from there. How to be an effective team player @@Biscxits

15) Eon Xii - Halo CE / Halo 2 (EST - Ontario) - CE crash course in Spawns, Nade points, and how to play effectively against those who already know. Halo 2A is seeking improvement on playing smart despite not having the most accurate shot. @@EonXII

16) Im Unnamed - Halo 2A - (EST - GA) - Specifically needs help with the HCS PGL gametypes under 4v4 settings. Also is looking for help in any Halo game, but priority is H2A. @@imUNNAMED

17) PizzaMuffinTime - Halo CE / Halo 2 / Halo 2A (AEDT - Sydney AU) - Seeking help with a crash course in CE, spawns, nades, timing, positioning etc. Same deal for H2 and H2A but more teamwork, positioning, being effective etc. @@PizzaMuffinTime

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo CE's Concept:

Halo CE is played at a few different levels, but they mainly revolve around 1v1's, 2v2's, and 4v4's. Different strategies obviously come into play, but spawn system works differently in 2v2's. That's why the main competitive drive around Halo CE is 2v2 based. From an overall standpoint, the game is centered around controlling power weapons, power ups, and standing in advantageous positions that allow you to easily control the next wave of weapons or power-ups, while maintaining control over your opponents spawns. This sounds easy in theory, but if you started later in the series, you'll find a lot of what you've learned doesn't apply in Halo CE. A good example of this would be how ineffective it is to bait and switch players and force close ranged teamshots like in Halo 3. Playing with that mentality will unintentionally get you beat in a snowball like fashion.

To explain more, Halo CE is an incredibly deep and balanced game. The sandbox is balanced in a way where everything matters except the needler, and the utility weapon is your pistol. Your pistol is the ultimate hold out weapon, and can be used properly against really any weapon or in any scenario in the game. While on paper it sounds over-powered, the ability to 3 shot someone perfectly is a rather rare occasion, ESPECIALLY on Halo PC on the MCC. While this weapon is incredibly advantageous in a number of scenarios, the other weapons all have other niche roles in which they excel beyond the pistol.

Halo CE Basics:

I'll be explaining things thoroughly within the thread, but this part will be brief, and for more glitches/tips.

The concept of competitive play is rather simple and can be summarized as "Obtain the power ups/power weapons, while denying your opponent the same." I will be expanding on this more beyond the "basics" tab, because it's not as simple as pushing as a team to get an item like Overshield on the Pit in H3. I use that as an example because your team will usually push together to set up for a weapon, while in Halo CE, one of the best strategies to stay separate. You'll want to spread out in order to watch different areas, and obtain different weapons/power-ups that usually spawn on set intervals throughout the game. OS and Camo usually spawn every minute, with rockets every two minutes. This means that every other minute, all 3 items are up which causes the issue in a 2v2 of which "two" your team should go for (in theory, meaning there are ways to obtain items without physically walking to them)

WeaponsOverall, every weapon operates on the same basic principle that you have to lead your shots based on the direction your opponent is strafing, combined with the level of distance he is away from you ALONG with the latency you encounter. You know most weapons to operate in a manner called "Hit-Scan" which is how other rifles work in other Halos. We are dealing with "Projectile Based" weapons. The easiest way to visualize a projectile is to picture the rocket launcher. That literally launches a projectile, and if you intended to cross-map rocket a player or vehicle, you have to determine the time it would take to land where you want it to go, then lead the shot even further based on where you anticipate the player to be in the amount of time it would take for that rocket to reach him. That concept applies for ALL weapons in this game, and you'll have to lead depending on the connection, distance, and type of weapon you use, meaning you have to lead more with a pistol than a sniper because the bullet travel time of the pistol takes longer to reach a target.

I suggest watching this video by @@Hard Way. It is the perfect weapon guide for Halo CE to help explain the situations a bit better. If you'd rather be bored by what I wrote, which doesn't sound as nice as Hard Way's voice, scroll down.

• Pistol -  Utility weapon and the weapon you need to learn to use in order to be an effective player. Holding the trigger creates a ridiculous spread that makes it ineffective. This means individual trigger pulls is best to reduce your spread, and make your bullets as accurate as possible. The weapon takes 2 body shots and 1 headshot to kill, which equals a perfect kill time of .6 seconds. It is not common for players to get TSK's (Three Shot Kills) repeatedly like it would be to get 4 shot kills in other games, so while the perfect kill time is quick, the average kill time is long. This weapon is INCREDIBLY dangerous in the hands of a skillful player. Again, each weapon requires you to lead your bullets.
  • Sniper -  A highly important weapon that is considered a power-weapon. It's importance is somewhat negated by how powerful the Pistol is, however when you watch the top players in action you'll see them drop the pistol for the sniper. I'll explain in detail in a more advanced section. Unlike other Halos, the sniper usually drops every 30 seconds. 2 body shots or 1 headshot kills a player, and offers a slightly quicker kill time than the pistol. It excels at far ranges but like much in the sandbox, allows a skilled player to excel with the weapon beyond it's intended range.
  • Rockets - Because this is Halo PC on MCC, I'm going to go ahead and say that the Rockets are THE best thing in the game. By that, I mean most useful/powerful. On OG Xbox, I would classify the most powerful item as Active Camo, however they made it worse. So back to Rockets... Incredibly powerful direct damage and splash damage, long intervals between shots and a long reload time. Rockets spawn every 2 minutes on the competitive maps, and is important that you set up to either obtain them, or stop the enemy from obtaining them. Although Camo isn't as useful as before, you'll find yourself aiming for the combination of the Rockets and Camo.
  • Plasma Rifle - One of my favorite weapons in any game ever! This awesome weapon shoots out plasma projectiles that do lots of damage to shields. In fact, they do the same level of damage to shields that pistol shots would do, but add a slow turn and stun effect to the player that is incredibly useful. It excels at a close/close to medium range, and is a great weapon to combat an enemy with using the element of surprise. It isn't as good of a response tool as it is to create a play. Headshots double the damage done to health as well. Some scenarios would be coming up behind a full OS guy, which requires 8 plasma shots to drain a FULL OS. The stun prevents him from moving, the slow-turn makes it hard to fire at you. While not the perfect play, I use it to suicide rocket guy often, meaning that get close to him while he's stunned that way if he tries to rocket me, he'll rocket himself too.
  • Shotgun - Incredibly useful on host, pretty annoying off host. Still, it's an extremely useful weapon. It's got some crazy spread, and some long range. If close enough and the entire spread hits, you should be able to Insta-kill a player with half and OS left. The range on it is pretty big but due to the spread, rather ineffective. Some players have experienced some incredibly long shot-gun clean ups in the past. You'll find shotguns will be pretty common when players have Camo and a sniper/rockets.
  • Plasma Pistol - Less powerful than your Halo 2 counterpart, and offers less auto-aim based tracking. The concept is the same where you have individual trigger pulls that does decent damage to shields, and less to health. These pistol shots also stun/slow if I'm not mistaken like the Plasma Rifle, but I'm not sure if it's at the same rate. Charging the pistol creates powerful shot that takes out shields completely. While there is some tracking on it, it's hardly an effective tool if you plan to use it like Halo 2's Noob Combo (Charge shot, switch to BR and headshot)
  • Needler - Completely useless in Multiplayer. I guess this is decent for Hunters on Campaign... don't bother picking it up unless you feel like humiliating someone, in which case this weapon fills that niche role perfectly.

fdPWI.png

Power Ups - Arguably the driving force behind a lot of decision making in the game. There are only two, and they are very important in terms of dominating your opponents. They play an important role in creating that snowball type domination effect in which the players with the advantage can easily build up more of an advantage. Power-up control is one of the highest priorities in the game, and something new players struggle with against experienced. You'll learn better and new ways to obtain them, however I always stress the importance of denying your opponents these luxuries. Even if you can't obtain something safely, make sure they can't either. This means spamming grenades to prevent players from picking up an OS, or knocking down Camo from a higher up level. You want them, but if you can't get them do anything you can to make sure nobody can get them. These generally respawn at the same rate for each map, with some exceptions. I'll post a picture of the timers to make things easier, because although both camo and OS tend to spawn every minute, certain maps like Chill Out and HeH are different.

1. Overshield - Usually called "OS" for short, this power-up grants you 2 additional shields on top of your own, giving you the ability to withstand 3x as much damage. This item is usually up every 60 seconds on most maps, except for the top power-up on Hang Em High. It's a very powerful item and allows you to play with a little more versatility in your decisions. The extra shields allow you to make plays you might not consider doing, such as peaking down low on Prisoner. I use this as an example because if you just picked up OS on Prisoner, that means Camo spawned at that same second. If your team doesn't have it, then their team does. If you don't have OS it wouldn't be smart to give up a top position of the map to peak and look for camo guy. Depending on the interval of the weapon times, camo guy also can have rockets. There are plenty of situational circumstances that come into play, and thats why Halo CE is such a great game.
  2. Active Camouflage - Or "camo" for short. In fact, never call it Active Camouflage unless you are writing a guide. This item is WAS an INCREDIBLY POWERFUL item. It is still a very powerful item but the version of camo on MCC is from the PC port, where they had changed Camo in some rather unusual ways. Unfortunately, that's the camo we're stuck with, and it looks like your armor is made out of mirrors. This makes you rather visible against certain backdrops. For those who haven't experienced camo on the original disc and xbox, it was THE BEST. As powerful as rockets were, camo was a better tool to work with, but I find now that rockets will have a better impact in matches. Regardless of this, the best combo depending on the situation would still be to have camo, and hold rockets and a weapon with no scope. (plasma/assault rifle, shotty) The reason for this is that Active Camo's effect varies depending on the gun you hold, or the gun you switch to. It takes less time to fade in and out of camo with weapons that have no scope on them, and significantly longer with weapons that do. Even still, Rockets take longer to go full camo than the pistol. It's with these nuances in mind that players willingly drop the best overeall weapon in the game (pistol) for a Rocket/Camo/Rifle combo. The usefulness of the Camo combined with the power of the rockets are deadly, but the fact that you can switch to an automatic weapon and go back to camo instantly after firing a rocket provides you with a huge advantage, and more room to excel. Part of this reason is that Camo in this game actually REDUCES the level of auto-aim your opponent has, and although I haven't checked personally, I've read that it also effects bullet magnetism as well. So going into full camo will give you an extra advantage, thus why players drop their pistol for a sniper/rocket (power weapon) and keep the rifle/shotty (for quick camo)

I'm going to include @@Hard Way's second video that goes over some tricks and tips, but goes over melee's, and the differences in damage as well as distance. These are excellent videos that you must watch if you're jumping into Halo CE.

Halo CE: Advanced

Glitches / Tips / Tricks

1. Quick Camo - I went deeper into camo than I intended, but there's plenty more information about it. Quick Camo the name of the glitch in which you become invisible instantly. If you have an assault rifle or pistol, which is the generic starting weapon set for MLG (Classic Slayer Pro) you can pick up camo with either weapon out. If you have a pistol out, fire one bullet than switch weapons and you'll be instantly camo'd. If your assault rifle is out, simply fire one bullet and let the camo activate. From there you can switch out to your pistol and fire, and once you're done firing, switch back to the AR for camo again.
  2. Backpack Reload - One of the more useful glitches that you'll find yourself using. I'll be posting videos to help visualize this, but this glitch allows you to fully reload your secondary, while using your primary weapon, and vice-versa. In order to do this, you must press "Reload, Reload, Switch Weapon" similar to how you would BXR or BXB in Halo 2. The standard default controls to do this glitch is "X,X,Y". This allows you to shoot all of your pistol rounds, switch to your assault rifle and clean up the kill. Once you switch back to your pistol, it will have full ammo again and can be fired without having to reload. The game completes the reload function and you can even still see some of the animation despite that weapon being in your "backpack" and your other weapon is out.
  3. Double Melee - An important glitch for up close situations. I highly suggest watching the video posted above, as it showcases all the weapons, their damage distance and their output. The way this glitch works is that you are meleeing someone twice in the time it would take one to land, and in order to do this you have to cancel out the recovery animation after the first melee. Throwing a grenade will cancel/reset this animation, and allow you to melee again. So the button presses would equate to "Melee, Grenade, Melee" all in succession. The standard default controls for this would be BLB.

I plan on including more glitches, but those 3 main ones are important. These last two videos brush a lot of topics in which I hope to provide a lot more insight on later. They're extremely old, and if anyone had searched how to improve Halo roughly 10 years ago, you would see these great videos.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Teacher

Frosty Evades

Halo ce 2 2a 3

Specifics:

Halo ce: Nade tricks, Setups.

Halo 2, 2a, 3: 4v4 setups, Objective control and things like this.

I can teach you how to play halo without being a top notch slayer.

KY Central

• Upvote (+1) 1

I specialize in creating easier situations through better decision making. Check out my gameplay reviews in my signature if you'd like to see what I can offer.

• Upvote (+1) 2

• Teacher/Student: Student

Gamertag: XGN Squeak VII changing to Squeak VII soon though

Games to Learn:  Halo CE

Specifics: Spawn System in CE, Nade tricks in CE, leading shots in CE

Timezone/Location: CST, Oklahoma

Teacher/Student: Student

Gamertag: obby5

Games to Learn: Halo CE/Halo 2

Specifics: Spawn System in CE / Leading shots in CE / Map control in CA / Improve FFA in H2 / Improve 4v4 game in halo 2

Timezone/Location: Minnesota /CST

• Teacher/Student: Teacher
  • Gamertag: Mossity
  • Games to Learn:  H2A, H3
  • Specifics: Objective Play Making, FFA Winning, Positioning and Communicating
  • Timezone/Location: NY, EST

Callouts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEt2t5vuog&feature=gp-n-o&google_comment_id=z12bz3i5lmilwujkkq2pjb44uwbkcp301

Gameplays:

Warlord Slayer +7 PGL Match vs Lil Poison & Senarcia 

(how to dominate the BOTTOM of warlord)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0i0yBcD1zo&feature=youtu.be

Dominant FFA On Zenith +23 with 1 Overkill and 2 Trips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLzfUHKsn3Q&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote (+1) 1

Could Always use the help. Question is who is going to reach out to who on this list?

Student.

V0odooman

H2A

Grenades, Positioning(I play too passive), Jumps

AST/New Brunswick (Above Maine for those who don't know)

Could Always use the help. Question is who is going to reach out to who on this list?

Student.

V0odooman

H2A

Grenades, Positioning(I play too passive), Jumps

AST/New Brunswick (Above Maine for those who don't know)

I'll update you into the list soon, I have a lot of info to compile here as well but want to make the lists a priority. Ideally, if teachers actually care or people take it seriously, they'll check the list whenever they have time to teach and would offer assistance. I don't see that working solely on that method so I ask for students to be proactive in finding a teacher willing to work with them.

Teachers, by posting in this thread you open yourself up to forum PM's, and XBL messages just as an FYI.

Students, please ask the teachers nicely if they can include you or help you. State what you need specifically too, and it can't hurt sending a message saying your from Beyond. I used to ignore a lot of my random F/Rs not knowing what they were for.

I'm a student teacher, where do I apply?

In all seriousness, I'm probably not good enough to be a teacher but I graduated halo 1 high school long ago, so I'm not really a student. I'm always down to play though, so if you ever need a 4th for a game feel free to send an invite my way. I could help newer players but I could also learn a thing or two from the more experienced players as well. I know some nade tricks/spawns/randoms/positions/etc. Some maps for than others, but you get my point

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm a student teacher, where do I apply?

In all seriousness, I'm probably not good enough to be a teacher but I graduated halo 1 high school long ago, so I'm not really a student. I'm always down to play though, so if you ever need a 4th for a game feel free to send an invite my way. I could help newer players but I could also learn a thing or two from the more experienced players as well. I know some nade tricks/spawns/randoms/positions/etc. Some maps for than others, but you get my point

You could absolutely be a Halo CE teacher. I have literally zero credentials, no placings etc. I'm just experienced and have played against some of the better people at various points. From there, I've lanned with a group that goes down to the beach lan each year. I have a feeling that the majority of the people signing up for Halo CE are have 1/20th the Halo CE experience we have.

I mean it reminds me of Shadowrun. The game has been figured out for a while, and although I know OF everything in the game and how it works, I still am learning new ways to improve but most importantly, how to execute. I don't wanna say I learn something new every day, but in a way I do improve. The only person on this site who posts here that can possibly be excluded from this are patch and maybe missingno? I don't know which H1 guys seriously post here anymore and most haven't since the beach lan thread.

• Teacher/Student: Student

Gamertag: The Ascendants

Games to Learn:  Halo 2/ Halo 3/ Halo 2A

Specifics: shooting/aim, Map control, positioning, communication, and just the general knowledge that comes from being a better player.

Timezone/Location: Central /CST, La

I'd be interested in learning competitive CE if the netcode wasn't so shit. :/

Same with H2C but the Vista port woes pervades so much.

I'd be interested in learning competitive CE if the netcode wasn't so shit. :/

Same with H2C but the Vista port woes pervades so much.

Let me know if you do want to be aded to the list. Halo CE has been so much fun for me despite all the issues. If it was a ranked playlist and I wasn't playing with my friends than I would definitely let the annoyances get to me. However it's been rather bearable for me because of the people I play with, how good the game is even under a shitty netcode, and because I'm accustomed to horrible buggy games already I guess.

Teacher/Student: Teacher

Gamertag: Mentalityy TLC

Games to Learn: Halo 2/ Halo 3

Specifics: Can teach effective communication, awareness, map movements, moving/shooting with your team, positioning, and strategy.

Timezone/Location: Central /CST, TX

Thanks for the video plugs! Haha I'm glad to see those are helping people.  As for other notable H1 guys that post here, @@Jeenyus and @@Bonesaw are both incredible too, and have been around recently.  @@AkaDemiK, @@ThreeShotPistol, @@RunningRiot4Fun, @@Cujjer, and a few others I'm forgetting at the moment are all also long time CE vets, and it'd be worth asking to see if they're interested in helping out.

I have to give a disclaimer right now though, I am totally unwilling to go into matchmaking with a party right now.  I won't do it.  It's like someone asking you if you would like to be angry, and replying yes.

However, I am open to doing customs, especially if the goal is learning.  Even if you don't have enough guys for a game, if you just want to walk around on an empty map so I can explain some stuff, I'm willing to do that as well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i'm down to run customs to teach guys trying to learn CE. I have no problem with that. I love the learning aspect of the game, as i'ms till doing so to better myself as a player. 

I don't own an xbone and i will not be purchasing one unless the game is fixed to the point where it overtakes the original halo 1 as the prefered game. However if players wanted me to review gameplay and give suggestions i would do so.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't own an xbone and i will not be purchasing one unless the game is fixed to the point where it overtakes the original halo 1 as the prefered game. However if players wanted me to review gameplay and give suggestions i would do so.

Yeah, same.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the game is ever fixed I'll be taking advantage of this. Nice of you guys.

I'm a total Noob when it comes to CE though. Why do skilled players drop the pistol for the sniper?

Teacher/Student: Student
Gamertag: Too Freakin Bad
Games to Learn: Halo 2 & H2a
Specifics: 4v4 objective/slayer spawns, BR consistency, effective combo use, proper map navigation especially in team variants.  

Timezone/Location: MI, EST/Eastern.

Finally made an account on beyond because of this thread. Thanks guys.
  • Upvote (+1) 5