Sign in to follow this  
menotyou135

Halo 1 style spawning in H2A 2v2

This is incredible and very exciting.  Wouldn't it be cool if @@Bravo could find a way to work this into the Doubles playlist when it goes live?

• Upvote (+1) 7

Discovered by SecretSchnitzel and Menotyou135

With Halo 2's scripting, you are able to spawn an despawn objects. With this in mind, SecretSchnitzel and myself decided to test to see if there was a way to replicate a halo 1 style spawn system by only spawning certain spawn points when you are in proximity to them. While the result is not identical to Halo 1's spawn system, it retains the properties of always (or almost always) spawning you near your team-mate and having the ability to force random spawns (though randoms are a little different)

Green: From this intro, I assume that spawning near your teammate is the most important aspect to pull off.

Now a little about how this works. We tested this spawn system in three different environments, two controlled and one real game.

The first control environment consisted of two spawn points (A, B ) set to two different triggers, and instant respawn turned on. The player stood in one zone, activating its respawn point (A), and committed suicide repeatedly. The player only spawned on the activated respawn point (A). This was then repeated with the other respawn point (B ), resulting in the player on spawning there ( (B ) instead while it was activated.

I can only assume that the player at TriggerA enabled SpawnA and thus would spawn at A because B was never enabled. But the next test you report suggests that even a spawn point that is disabled can be selected by the spawn engine.

The second control environment consisted of the same, but with the addition of a second player (2). Player 1 would stand on spawn point A, while player 2 stood in the corresponding trigger zone for A, and would kill Player 1 with a sniper repeatedly. Although spawn point 2 was not activated, player 1 would spawn there just as often as he would at spawn point 1. This shows that although spawn points can be turned on and off, the game will still use “inactive” spawns if there is too strong a negative influence affecting the active spawn points. 

The way I read this is that two players are both near A and both are far from B (at least outside TriggerB), yet when the player on SpawnA (literally there) is killed then he spawns at A or B randomly, even though the shooter is in TriggerA and no one is in TriggerB.

Is the shooter an enemy or ally?

Is the shooter looking right at SpawnA when respawn occurs? (all the time? some times?)

Can you reproduce the test without using a sniper, but instead use suicide with the control player looking away from both spawn points?

Were there exactly two spawn points on the map?

If no one is in TriggerB, then how can you account for SpawnB being active at all?

The third environment was a game on a forge map (Orion). As the game’s inherent spawn system prefers spawning players on the extreme perimeters of the map relative to where positive/negative influences are, the trigger zones were set in areas along the outskirts of the map. Throughout the game players would rarely spawn in said zones unless there was a team mate in one activating it, else they would spawn on non-scripted spawn points closer to the map’s center. Occasionally players would spawn on trigger-spawn points without the trigger being active, but this was rare a rare occurrence. What this shows is that although the game’s inherent spawn system takes precedence, the scripted spawns and triggers can be used to augment it and increase the forgers control of where players will spawn on the map.

In execution, this method can be used to create a more heavily “weighted” team mate influence spawn system, which helps to balance out the extremely enemy presence influenced spawn system inherent to the game. The forger can take it a step further and also assign teams to the various spawn points and triggers used, making it so they work only for specified teams.

This slight deviation from designed play sounds like the spawning action of the player and the deactivation of the spawn point sometimes don't synchronize relative to each other as you want and an undesired spawn occurs.

This is incredible and very exciting.  Wouldn't it be cool if @@Bravo could find a way to work this into the Doubles playlist when it goes live?

Somebody should tweet him and quin this thread.

What's stopping you from using this in 4v4?

If two teammates are in different zones then whatever the spawn wizard decides is the best one is the one that gets used

At any rate, back in Reach, I came up with a system that allowed for literally random spawns. Perhaps this would be of some use to you:

Step 1) Place two one-way teleporters on top of two spawn points, not only outside of the map, but dead center above the ceiling of the map. Put like 2 forge units of space between the two. Set both of these 1ways to the same channel.

Step 2) Everywhere you want a random spawn point, set a 1way teleporter exit. You can flip them upsidedown and put them .1 units inside of an object and the teleporter will still function. Spin the teleporter around to set the angle of the spawn point. Make sure every single exit is on the same channel.

When multiple exits on a teleporter share the same channel the end result is a completely random teleporter is chosen.

I was using this system as a last-ditch effort to try and make duel maps work in Reach, because the system in that game was totally unworkable. But I never ended up releasing anything because I couldn't even fix the framerate issues on Nexn's map despite reforging it out of nothing but coliseum walls.

As long as this teleporter gimmick still works properly, you can solve the random spawn problem.

If the game gives you zillions and zillions of teleporters to work with, you can possibly make this system impossible to break down by having the spawn points themselves extremely far away from the map and having an area with a single spawnpoint dump you into a teleporter that dumps you into a random location for each spawn zone your teammate is in. But if you have only 16 or something then it probably can't be done.

The tricky part would be to wizard up a way to block the randomizer spawn whenever any zone is activated. Maybe you can rig up a box to enclose the spawnpoint while any other zone is activated?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Looking forward to seeing this in action, maybe alongside some "GoldPro" like ruleset, with extra powerups like a camo and/or an overshield on Lockout would completely dynamise the map imo 

I wonder what would be the best settings in terms of combining mouvement and aiming skills could be...

Wouldn't it be cool if @@Bravo could find a way to work this into the Doubles playlist when it goes live?

Let them finalize a working gametype exactly how they want it first, then tweet Bravo/Ghost/Quin about it. That way all they really have to do is download it from their fileshare.

Somebody should tweet him and quin this thread.

His H2A/HCS settings thread had some nice discussion going on in it too.

Looking forward to seeing this in action, maybe alongside some "GoldPro" like ruleset, with extra powerups like a camo and/or an overshield on Lockout would completely dynamise the map imo 

I wonder what would be the best settings in terms of combining mouvement and aiming skills could be...

See I never really played Halo 2 on XBL because I thought 200 ping was a joke but I played on LAN all the time.

We had a modbox and I did a lot twiddling with Lockout's item layout.

We moved the sword to shotgun and replaced the sword with an OS, combined with changing the sniper to a static timer we felt it worked it all pretty well in 2v2. The sword would respawn 1 second after it fell off the map. I don't remember what the sniper timer was but it was pretty fast.

Playing Warlock with double OS and Camo like in H1 and no power weapons anywhere was pretty fun too.

Everyone flipped the fuck out when I put two snipers and a rocket launcher on midship though >_>

• Upvote (+1) 1