ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming Monitor Thread [2015]

Cant believe it's 2015 and there's no 27" 1440p monitor that runs at 165hz OC'd with sub-5ms response time and G-sync that also has the option to run 4k at 60hz with G-sync and <5ms rsponse time.

And yes I'm well aware of ASUS' ROG SWIFT and its 4k version announced but I don't think neither monitor is capable of both features I require.

At least the 4k version should be around 34" too.

I currently have this monitor:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IJS6OUA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1445954339&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=samsung+s24d390&dpPl=1&dpID=51P1r2QX4VL&ref=plSrch

Should I be looking to get a new one for competitive play? I'm not sure if it has bad response times or anything.

What is the monitor the pros use? Are they good?

If you have the money, I'd get a different moniter.

Get your budget together then look at the OP for one within that range. Ideally, you'll want something above 60HZ, although if you're used to 60HZ it's fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you have the money, I'd get a different moniter.

Get your budget together then look at the OP for one within that range. Ideally, you'll want something above 60HZ, although if you're used to 60HZ it's fine.

Ok, cheers. I'll have a look, do you know what that Benq one they use at tournaments is?

nice summary, as a suggestion id replace the response time with the overall input lag value (eg from prad.de)

very nice topic, got the Benq XL2420Z and can only recommend the Benq monitors because of the black equalizer

Can anyone recommend a monitor that is a good compromise between gaming performance and general use (good color/image quality)? Or give some advice on the types of monitors I should look for?

Or just tell me if I should even bother looking for something that is good in both areas?

Really want to game on a low-lag display, but I don't want to invest in something that I won't be able to use for work.

Can anyone recommend a monitor that is a good compromise between gaming performance and general use (good color/image quality)? Or give some advice on the types of monitors I should look for?

Or just tell me if I should even bother looking for something that is good in both areas?

Really want to game on a low-lag display, but I don't want to invest in something that I won't be able to use for work.

Anything that works well for both is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$.  There are a couple brands out there with decent response time IPS panels.  I think ACER makes 1 or 2.

IMO the Acer XB270HU with 4ms response time would be the best right now.  Unless you're a pro gamer 3ms isn't going to be noticeable.  It's IPS so colors and viewing angles should be good and it's 144hz.  Plus it has G-SYNC.  It's $700 though and not 4k.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anything that works well for both is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$.  There are a couple brands out there with decent response time IPS panels.  I think ACER makes 1 or 2.

IMO the Acer XB270HU with 4ms response time would be the best right now.  Unless you're a pro gamer 3ms isn't going to be noticeable.  It's IPS so colors and viewing angles should be good and it's 144hz.  Plus it has G-SYNC.  It's $700 though and not 4k.

Whereas if focused on pure gaming utility, could probably get something very good performance-wise for for a much lower price I'm guessing.

Probably gonna end up doing that. Thanks man!

Whereas if focused on pure gaming utility, could probably get something very good performance-wise for for a much lower price I'm guessing.

Probably gonna end up doing that. Thanks man!

Yep.  You could look for something without G-Sync as that does up the price due to nvidia making manufacturers pay for it.  But g-sync is awesome.  You could get a 2560 or 4k TN panel monitor with 1ms response time and 144hz for relatively cheap.  But TN panel colors aren't the greatest so if you're doing any type of color correction it won't work.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My Asus monitor has a setting that they call "Trace free", which is suppose to help with ghosting. Is that something that would be of use on a console game? ive never thought of consoles needing something like that, so ive never used it.

Just wondering what your thoughts on it are @@ZerueLX11

My Asus monitor has a setting that they call "Trace free", which is suppose to help with ghosting. Is that something that would be of use on a console game? ive never thought of consoles needing something like that, so ive never used it.

Just wondering what your thoughts on it are @@ZerueLX11

Im pretty sure ghosting can happen on both console and PC. Turning it on an trying it out wont hurt. Only thing that might happen is pixel inversion, but I highly doubt it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not sure if anyone linked this, but this site has a database of a bunch of TVs used for competitive reasons. The guy doing the tests is a pretty good SF4 player and those players generally need really, really good monitors to be played at a good level

http://www.displaylag.com/

I personally have the Asus VE288H and I use it to play Fighting games and the only reason this isn't used at events really is because of size. It's really close to the EVO 2k13 monitor in stats as well (10ms vs 11ms) 

• Upvote (+1) 2

so i went and bought a BenQ RL2455 a few days before christmas and then i ended up getting another one as a gift from my dad and his gf. Should i return one and get a cheaper monitor to use for my primary pc screen? I don't mind keeping both of them but I don't want to do it if it's a waste of power

so i went and bought a BenQ RL2455 a few days before christmas and then i ended up getting another one as a gift from my dad and his gf. Should i return one and get a cheaper monitor to use for my primary pc screen? I don't mind keeping both of them but I don't want to do it if it's a waste of power

power as in electricity? it only uses 33watts max (less in eco mode) which isn't much

a normal lightbulb is 60-100 watts so they actually use very little power 

@@Moses_FPS sorry power was the wrong word to use. what i meant was should i keep the 1ms gaming monitor that won't really be used for gaming? 

there's no real reason to, if you do get a less expensive monitor i'd just recommend you get the same resolution (1080p) and something 60hz

you could save ~100 bucks by down grading to a 5ms

@@Moses_FPS sorry power was the wrong word to use. what i meant was should i keep the 1ms gaming monitor that won't really be used for gaming? 

Dude just keep it, still a good monitor.

Go dual sceen, definitely worth it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Dual monitor with two different monitors sucks. Currently using two U2414H from Dell, my only gripe is I didn't invest into a 120/144hz monitor.

• Upvote (+1) 2