ZerueLX11

Zeruel's ULTIMATE Gaming Monitor Thread [2015]

Oh that's the symbol for thumbs up .lol my bad.

I have never seen that used like that before, haha. 

It is? lol Its been known as the symbol for pussy LOL!

1 - 5ms is the lowest I would go to be safe. Monitors are always hard decisions.

Yeah do that symbol in Skype or fb. Lol. Anyway thanks for the help.

1000+ views on the thread guys! Thanks for the support and I hope it continues to help many gamers out their!!

I know this thread's for monitors, but i was hoping i could get some info for a good TV for gaming.

Looking for a tv to game on casually with really nice picture, but can aslo be decent for competitive play.

I play a lot of SF(Street Fighter) on the 360. I plan on eventuallly building a PC.

Sharp 42" 1080p 120Hz LED TV (LC-42LB261U) - Black

Response Time: 6.5 ms
Native 1080p
Game Mode

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sharp-sharp-42-1080p-120hz-led-tv-lc-42lb261u-black-lc-42lb261u/10304560.aspx?path=75e40dfb6fb175dedece9bb02c1ed622en02

Sony 40" 1080p 60Hz LED Smart TV (KDL40W600B) - Black

Response Time: No details
Native 1080p
Game Mode

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-40-1080p-60hz-led-smart-tv-kdl40w600b-black-kdl40w600b/10288936.aspx?path=699debdeadae8f88f8ada9f42ec71a64en02

LG 42" 1080p 120Hz IPS LED Smart TV (42LB6300) - Black

Native 1080p
Game Mode

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-42-1080p-120hz-ips-led-smart-tv-42lb6300-black-42lb6300/10292458.aspx?path=f92f791130629b0ca0bc246046ae2932en02

Is Motion Enhancement Technology any relevant? There's a TV that says it has MET 120CMR

Do those numbers/specs look numbers good considering the price?

Also what other things should/could i be looking for?

I know this thread's for monitors, but i was hoping i could get some info for a good TV for gaming.

Looking for a tv to game on casually with really nice picture, but can aslo be decent for competitive play.

I play a lot of SF(Street Fighter) on the 360. I plan on eventuallly building a PC.

Sharp 42" 1080p 120Hz LED TV (LC-42LB261U) - Black

Response Time: 6.5 ms

Native 1080p

Game Mode

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sharp-sharp-42-1080p-120hz-led-tv-lc-42lb261u-black-lc-42lb261u/10304560.aspx?path=75e40dfb6fb175dedece9bb02c1ed622en02

Sony 40" 1080p 60Hz LED Smart TV (KDL40W600B) - Black

Response Time: No details

Native 1080p

Game Mode

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-40-1080p-60hz-led-smart-tv-kdl40w600b-black-kdl40w600b/10288936.aspx?path=699debdeadae8f88f8ada9f42ec71a64en02

LG 42" 1080p 120Hz IPS LED Smart TV (42LB6300) - Black

Native 1080p

Game Mode

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-42-1080p-120hz-ips-led-smart-tv-42lb6300-black-42lb6300/10292458.aspx?path=f92f791130629b0ca0bc246046ae2932en02

Is Motion Enhancement Technology any relevant? There's a TV that says it has MET 120CMR

Do those numbers/specs look numbers good considering the price?

Also what other things should/could i be looking for?

Motion Enhancement, 120CMR, its all fancy marketing terms.

Motion enhancement means they pre-process the frames to make them "look" smoother but this adds latency.

120CMR is another fancy way of saying 60 frames per a second, its interpolation of frames. NO TV is 120Hz+

ALL THIS JUNK gets turned off when you set the TV to gaming mode anyways or else you would have a SHIT experience playing video games on it.  

I still advise that you save the money for a good gaming monitor or the PC, but to answer your question the SONY or LG are good choices. You are paying extra for the smart TV stuff but thats your call. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Motion Enhancement, 120CMR, its all fancy marketing terms.

Motion enhancement means they pre-process the frames to make them "look" smoother but this adds latency.

120CMR is another fancy way of saying 60 frames per a second, its interpolation of frames. NO TV is 120Hz+

ALL THIS JUNK gets turned off when you set the TV to gaming mode anyways or else you would have a SHIT experience playing video games on it.  

I still advise that you save the money for a good gaming monitor or the PC, but to answer your question the SONY or LG are good choices. You are paying extra for the smart TV stuff but thats your call. 

I kinda had a feeling 120CMR and Motion Enhancement were "fancy marekting terms" after watching those videos in the OP. 

I don't really care for the Smart feature, but it's 2015 now and they've gone down in price. Last year i was looking at TV's that weren't Smart TVs and they were about the same price. 

I had a monitor for a while, but it fell and cracked so now i'm stuck using a tube tv for a little bit. So i never had a nice big HD TV. Been gaming on smaller TVs for a while. 

I believe the larger screen would be a better experience for single player games. 

Right now i'm just educating myself more about TVs/monitors before go and buy one. Looking to get an idea of what TV would be best. 

A monitor would probably come shortly after. 

What i'm thinking is playing games like Shadow of the Collossuss HD on a big scren, but then when i want to play SF i can just turn on game mode and still have a decent experience. 

By the time i end it up actually buying a TV i might reduce the size i want. I'll have to see when the time comes. 

Is there any specifc TV brands i should maybe completely stay from? 

And thanks for the help

Is there any specifc TV brands i should maybe completely stay from? 

And thanks for the help

LG, Samsung are probably the best right now for consumer TVs, can't really say who's they worst aside from the fact really cheap means more chances of dead pixels and that kind of stuff.

Good luck buying!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I should be getting a TV soon FINALLY!

Right now this is the best i can find.

-It's a decent price

-native 1080

- it says it has a game mode

- says it's 120hz

but it says it's 6.5ms

I'm looking for something for 5ms and under since i'm aiming for a bigger sized TV atm. How much will i notice the frame rate(if it's anything over 5)? Like i said i play on a flat scteen tube tv right now. And i play a lot of SF

I should be getting a TV soon FINALLY!

Right now this is the best i can find.

-It's a decent price

-native 1080

- it says it has a game mode

- says it's 120hz

but it says it's 6.5ms

I'm looking for something for 5ms and under since i'm aiming for a bigger sized TV atm. How much will i notice the frame rate(if it's anything over 5)? Like i said i play on a flat scteen tube tv right now. And i play a lot of SF

6.5ms won't be that bad for casual use. The TV seems decent, just don't be fooled by the 120hz stuff haha.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6.5ms won't be that bad for casual use. The TV seems decent, just don't be fooled by the 120hz stuff haha.

Yeah that's why i brought up the stats. Hoping for advice like that lol

So there's no way to tell if it's actually 120hz or anything? or how good the frames actually are?

Yeah that's why i brought up the stats. Hoping for advice like that lol

So there's no way to tell if it's actually 120hz or anything? or how good the frames actually are?

HDMI can't do 120Hz and since its a TV im guessing it only has HDMI ports. Also Im sure the TV isn't HDMI 2.0 either. 

If you are really serious about  finding out, you can hook it up to a PC and check how high the refresh rate goes.

DKeGlkS.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

So you can;t trust the sales person. Asked if the TV had a game mode. I asked if there was a remote to check if it had one. They said "it should" have one. Then they said they had went in the back and checked on the interent and that the TV has a game mode..... It doesn't have a game mode...

So you can;t trust the sales person. Asked if the TV had a game mode. I asked if there was a remote to check if it had one. They said "it should" have one. Then they said they had went in the back and checked on the interent and that the TV has a game mode..... It doesn't have a game mode...

Never trust a sales person. That was the one of the down falls of radio shack. Hiring people who had no knowledge of the technical aspects of products. 

You're gonna have to do the research yourself. Caution yourself before buying, it would suck if you bought a new fancy TV that has like 50ms lag because there is no game mode to turn off all the pre-processing 

Never trust a sales person. That was the one of the down falls of radio shack. Hiring people who had no knowledge of the technical aspects of products. 

You're gonna have to do the research yourself. Caution yourself before buying, it would suck if you bought a new fancy TV that has like 50ms lag because there is no game mode to turn off all the pre-processing

I only bought it because it was on sale, there was an hour left before closing and that day was the last day of the sale. The lag isn't terrible, it's not great, but a game mode would definitely help.

Fortunately i have 30 days to bring it back.

It's really funny but also awkward when people come into work looking for a "120hz tv", only to have one of two scenarios happen:

1. They accept the information; being that it is fact, and buy a new TV anyways happily after having the facts bestowed upon them.

2. They get angry, tell you that you're wrong when you tell them "eh, not actually 120hz". Then insist they are correct and leave the store.

Being a knowledgeable sales person sucks some times.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you achieve 60 fps with HDMI or is there always going to be some lag with it?

It's not that it's not that it has lag but it's has less bandwidth to transmit video. 

HDMI 1.4 can only do 1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps while HDMI 2.0 can do 4k 60fps. 

Something superior like Display Port can do 1440p 144hz, 4k 60fps or 1080p 144hz. Also it can support Gsync or Free Sync. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

As I'm playing counter strike now instead of Halo, and hear a lot of people saying "play one game on 144hz and you'll never go back to 60hz" I'm interested in a 144hz monitor.

I have two 24" BENQ GL2450s right now, they were only £100 or so each but I bought them almost three years ago. I'm considering a new pc soon and with that I'd like one (maybe two) new 24" monitors for CS as I mentioned. My question is which would you recommend? and would you recommend getting the second (as both my BENQ's work perfectly well)?. I like the BENQ style of monitor but of course am open to trying something else.

I've looked through the list at I'm not sure which is the best or which is the most cost efficient.

Also fantastic thread, very neat and tidy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As I'm playing counter strike now instead of Halo, and hear a lot of people saying "play one game on 144hz and you'll never go back to 60hz" I'm interested in a 144hz monitor.

I have two 24" BENQ GL2450s right now, they were only £100 or so each but I bought them almost three years ago. I'm considering a new pc soon and with that I'd like one (maybe two) new 24" monitors for CS as I mentioned. My question is which would you recommend? and would you recommend getting the second (as both my BENQ's work perfectly well)?. I like the BENQ style of monitor but of course am open to trying something else.

I've looked through the list at I'm not sure which is the best or which is the most cost efficient.

Also fantastic thread, very neat and tidy.

I'll give you a few monitors that would suit your 144hz needs, also keep in mind these monitors are TN panels so the color isnt as good but higher costing one do give decent color. Also some of these monitors come with extra features, ill leave it to you to read about them.

Also just buy one 144hz monitor and save your other monitors, they still seem pretty good as secondary monitors.

ASUS VG248Q 1080p 144Hz $250, its the lowest price point for a quality 144Hz Monitor and you'll see this monitor used in tournaments often. 

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-236-313-_-Product

BENQ XL2411Z 1080p 144Hz $280

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014376&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-376-_-Product

BENQ XL2420Z 1080p 144hz $320, More features and tech. Good colors on this one.

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014370&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-370-_-Product

BENQ XL2430T 1080p 144Hz $370 Even more features and ergonomics.

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014384&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-384-_-Product

BENQXL2420G 1080p 144hz $520 G SYNC BITCH!!!  Hybrid engine!!

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014412&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-412-_-Product

ASUS PG278Q 1440p 144Hz $679 G SYNC!! ( I have this one )

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=pg278q-_-24-236-405-_-Product

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll give you a few monitors that would suit your 144hz needs, also keep in mind these monitors are TN panels so the color isnt as good but higher costing one do give decent color. Also some of these monitors come with extra features, ill leave it to you to read about them.

Also just buy one 144hz monitor and save your other monitors, they still seem pretty good as secondary monitors.

ASUS VG248Q 1080p 144Hz $250, its the lowest price point for a quality 144Hz Monitor and you'll see this monitor used in tournaments often. 

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-236-313-_-Product

BENQ XL2411Z 1080p 144Hz $280

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014376&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-376-_-Product

BENQ XL2420Z 1080p 144hz $320, More features and tech. Good colors on this one.

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014370&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-370-_-Product

BENQ XL2430T 1080p 144Hz $370 Even more features and ergonomics.

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014384&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-384-_-Product

BENQXL2420G 1080p 144hz $520 G SYNC BITCH!!!  Hybrid engine!!

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014412&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSHGGRXVLVAN-_-24-014-412-_-Product

ASUS PG278Q 1440p 144Hz $679 G SYNC!! ( I have this one )

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405&cm_re=pg278q-_-24-236-405-_-Product

Thank you for taking the time to reply with such detail, even including the links, I really appreciate it.

Is the colour difference really noticeable? I only ask because the monitor I'll be playing CS on will be my primary monitor so it's obviously the one I'll look at the most. Also is there a huge difference between 120hz and 144hz? I assume not that much as the price of most of the monitors you listed are very reasonable. I probably wouldn't go for the $520 unless you told me it far worth it over the $280-370 ones. Out of the three BENQs you listed, do you have one you'd recommend more than the others?

Sorry for even more questions =p.

Thanks again!

Oh and I only asked about the 120hz because one of the CS guys I'm subbed to made this video comparing 60hz and 120hz;

Thank you for taking the time to reply with such detail, even including the links, I really appreciate it.

Is the colour difference really noticeable? I only ask because the monitor I'll be playing CS on will be my primary monitor so it's obviously the one I'll look at the most. Also is there a huge difference between 120hz and 144hz? I assume not that much as the price of most of the monitors you listed are very reasonable. I probably wouldn't go for the $520 unless you told me it far worth it over the $280-370 ones. Out of the three BENQs you listed, do you have one you'd recommend more than the others?

Sorry for even more questions =p.

Thanks again!

Oh and I only asked about the 120hz because one of the CS guys I'm subbed to made this video comparing 60hz and 120hz;

Well G-Sync is very nice and eliminates screen tearing haha, but $520 is pretty hefty.

To be honest if the colors seem just a bit off you can go to your graphics control option and increase the Color intensity just a bit to make up for it. Also the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz is very minuscule. 144hz is the "new" highest we can go, the video is pretty old and it was when 120Hz was the highest.

If you want the best for your buck go for the XL2420Z, decent color and good price. 

Hit me up also when you want to get a new PC ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well G-Sync is very nice and eliminates screen tearing haha, but $520 is pretty hefty.

To be honest if the colors seem just a bit off you can go to your graphics control option and increase the Color intensity just a bit to make up for it. Also the difference between 120Hz and 144Hz is very minuscule. 144hz is the "new" highest we can go, the video is pretty old and it was when 120Hz was the highest.

If you want the best for your buck go for the XL2420Z, decent color and good price. 

Hit me up also when you want to get a new PC ;)

I will most likely go for one of the middle price ones unless I can convince myself to buy the $520 one =p.

I will probably be looking at a new PC in the next few months and that'll be when I buy the monitor and I will definitely hit you up about that =].

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, greatly appreciated.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can't figure out how to get rid of screen tearing in Windows 7.

Did a fresh install today and I've got screen tearing from just moving windows around and scrolling through websites.

GPU: AMD 7950

Monitors: U2414H x2 both plugged into display ports

Been trying to google it but I can't find anything.

Thinking about selling one of them or both of them for some 120hz monitors.

Turned on Vsync and it's still tearing.