chaosTheory

Dedicated website for tracking Halo CE gameplay issues in MCC

@@Mintograde Not sure where these spawns are located (I didn't go to their locations to fix them, I just scrolled through the list in Sapien and repositioned the ones with red X's next to them) - if I have time I'll screencap their position in the map and post here. That being said, I'm fairly certain that the spawns I mentioned don't work, because like I said they were inside the level geometry. From experience, I can say that any item who's origin is placed inside collision geometry (including player spawns, weapons, scenery, etc) doesn't compile.

So are you saying that the maps have the same number of spawn points but some are unusable because they are inside a wall?

@@Mintograde @@insidi0us I looked into ripping .obj files from the Xbox maps in the past and had no luck with Arsenic (I was trying to port the Halo 1.5 maps awhile back, and I couldn't get in touch with anyone with access to the original model files...). If I understood you correctly, you mentioned that you were able to rip the .obj, but without the textures? If that is the case, please share your method, as I'd be able to restore textures with relative ease.

If it turns out to be impossible to rip the models from the Xbox map files without a long investigation, I'll continue as I planned - making the tweaks manually with the Xbox version running at my side for precision's sake. I'm adept enough in 3ds max to replicate the experience

- wait for it -

Just as you remember it.

I believe you use Sparkedit, found here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/9329412/SparkEdit_v3_02

Open up the xbox map, then one of the drop down menus lets you extract the .obj model. It's been years since I've used the program, so I'm not sure if there are any errors in the map.

So are you saying that the maps have the same number of spawn points but some are unusable because they are inside a wall?

Not sure if both versions have the same number of spawn points (I'm going to look at the Xbox map data this weekend to confirm this), but yes it appears that some spawns are unusable because they are inside a wall (again, @@Mintograde suspects that at least two of the spawns I listed are indeed functional - I'll be posting some screenshots of the locations of these spawns if people want to see whether they work or not).

I believe you use Sparkedit, found here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/9329412/SparkEdit_v3_02

Open up the xbox map, then one of the drop down menus lets you extract the .obj model. It's been years since I've used the program, so I'm not sure if there are any errors in the map.

Interesting, I didn't realize Sparkedit had that functionality. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

yes, sparkedit. i just loaded it up on my laptop, exported hang em high, and now i'm zooming around in an untextured xbox hangem in 3ds max 7. 

how do you go about getting the materials working? no way i feel like building a material library from scratch only to find out that i need to redo all the uvw mapping as well. some grenade tricks rely on looking at specific features of the floor texture - are you ensuring that the texture coordinates are all identical too?

man if i could get a response from CLuis he might have some insight on exporting PC maps, and make this whole process a one-step thing. if he never gets back to me, using the xbox .obj's from sparkedit is definitely the way to go.

i'd help with the map conversions, but right now i'm failing to come up with an easy way to reapply textures (as i did last time i tried this 50 years ago).

also, what version of max do you use? from what i remember, 3ds max 7 was the latest version that played nice with blitzkrieg. is there a fancy modern way to get the map working in sapien after using a newer 3dsmax that i should know about? been out of it for a long long time.

If the texture coordinates stay intact, we're fucking golden. Can you convert to mesh and tell me whether everything has the same material ID? Because as long as I don't have to re-uv everything, I'd have no problem with setting up a material library and matching the materials to the level (through experience I know most of the stock shader/material names by heart). Also, 3ds max 8 is the last version with Blitzkrieg support.

that's right. i used 8 at one point, but now i'm vaguely remembering having issues using it. i only saved the install files for 7 so that's what i put back on my laptop. i'll just stick with 7 because i know it works. i pm'd you

Not sure if both versions have the same number of spawn points (I'm going to look at the Xbox map data this weekend to confirm this), but yes it appears that some spawns are unusable because they are inside a wall (again, @@Mintograde suspects that at least two of the spawns I listed are indeed functional - I'll be posting some screenshots of the locations of these spawns if people want to see whether they work or not).

I loaded up Halo PC, and I was able to spawn here and here, which I believe are the two marked as invalid.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but the fall damage on ramps appears to have gotten worse recently. Slide jumping to get around the map more quickly is now almost assuredly going to lead to a death...

Rat Race is a great example of this... I think Havok died 3 times last night slide-jumping in a game on RR trying to beat me to OS. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

^I noticed this as well, drives me crazy. I hope it gets fixed soon, though it's a netcode issue so I'm not going to hold my breath...

Anyone ever get an xbox controller to function properly in halo PC? I tried many drivers, and could never get the movement to feel good when moving diagnally.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i recall a similar experience. but i quickly decided that halo pc was not meant to be played. by humans. so it mattered not. and now we're all trying to play it on the xbox one. love it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone ever get an xbox controller to function properly in halo PC? I tried many drivers, and could never get the movement to feel good when moving diagnally.

You have to make your left joystick's deadzone pretty large to make it feel natural.

i tried many programs and only one worked for me.

b5249ae0dc.png

however aim assist would never work so i just gave up after that  (for comp play)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't understand why 343i didn't just hire some of our passionate fans to make this game right before porting it over. Pretty sad when a few individuals here are working on these problems free of charge for fun and paid professionals can't even be bothered.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't understand why 343i didn't just hire some of our passionate fans to make this game right before porting it over. Pretty sad when a few individuals here are working on these problems free of charge for fun and paid professionals can't even be bothered.

i also found it worrysome how most of those hired pro players are H2 or H3 pros which have 0 or close to 0 experiences with HCE

Lmfao, that's hilarious.

I've searched the entire bug site and quite a bit of this thread and haven't found anyone mentioning the game breaking "anti-aim" glitch. I haven't recorded it yet but it happens very often so it wouldn't be hard. You're reticule just goes into ghost mode and starts aiming itself but never allowing you to lead or land your shots on the opposing player. Most annoying thing I've ever experienced in a FPS.

Lmfao, that's hilarious.

I've searched the entire bug site and quite a bit of this thread and haven't found anyone mentioning the game breaking "anti-aim" glitch. I haven't recorded it yet but it happens very often so it wouldn't be hard. You're reticule just goes into ghost mode and starts aiming itself but never allowing you to lead or land your shots on the opposing player. Most annoying thing I've ever experienced in a FPS.

Is this where it like pulls your reticle away from the persons head?

If so, I get this in most CE games on MCC and it's really fucking annoying. Idk if it's lag or a glitch with MCC. It's like the players head is a magnet and it's repelling your reticle away from them. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lmfao, that's hilarious.

10577929_10205308642896934_1670507013_o.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's a new one... I just kinda die....

One of those happened to me (same sound and everything), but someone was close enough that I thought it was just a laggy backwhack. I can't tell with these new sounds, but is that the same sound a backwhack death makes without the extra sound of the meleeing player?

My crazy, unsubstantiated theory is someone meleed in that fight across the map and it killed you.

I think there is a bug involving grenades not showing up. Sometimes I'll just explode for no reason. Other times when I throw a grenade right before I die I don't see it come out but I see the explosion effect and than get a grenade kill.

• Upvote (+1) 1

One of those happened to me (same sound and everything), but someone was close enough that I thought it was just a laggy backwhack. I can't tell with these new sounds, but is that the same sound a backwhack death makes without the extra sound of the meleeing player?

My crazy, unsubstantiated theory is someone meleed in that fight across the map and it killed you.

nah, there wasnt anyone around that i was aware of, if i remember right the enemy team was in shields, and just got called out. as far as the sound im 90% sure its the sound of the assault rifle hitting the floor