chaosTheory

Dedicated website for tracking Halo CE gameplay issues in MCC

I don't think it's in OG, and yeah I think it's when you go to reload before dying. I don't mind it cause it's hilarious to watch him just tuck in and take a nap.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That death animation is probably related to latency/the netcode in MCC. I guess you pressed the reload button just as you were dying, and the reload animation started playing. Then, just after, your Xbox was informed that you suffered a fatal headshot before you pressed reload. Therefore the two animations came out mixed.

On OG everything happening in the game is "checked in" through the host and thus there are no delayed messages at all. No online game/netcode uses this kind of synchronous netcode though, since it creates an insane host advantage and very jarring forms of lag if the latency is above optimum levels (see H1 XBC).

• Upvote (+1) 1

That death animation is probably related to latency/the netcode in MCC. I guess you pressed the reload button just as you were dying, and the reload animation started playing. Then, just after, your Xbox was informed that you suffered a fatal headshot before you pressed reload. Therefore the two animations came out mixed.

On OG everything happening in the game is "checked in" through the host and thus there are no delayed messages at all. No online game/netcode uses this kind of synchronous netcode though, since it creates an insane host advantage and very jarring forms of lag if the latency is above optimum levels (see H1 XBC).

well those jarring forms of lag were on like 150+ ping which will give you a jarring effect on any game where shots just don't register. Right now on mcc my melees/rockets are never where they appear to be which is ANNOYING AS FUCKING SHIT. 

i've reached my tolerance threshold with this game. the crazy code that resulted in this painfully annoying issue needs to get found and fixed. bullet redirection / wall interception is pissing me off as much as the psychotic removal of magnetism on april 21st.

thanks for the help with the og footage @chumpp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3dn7ju/chumpp_and_i_made_a_comparison_video_between/

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've been noticing this. There are certain places people often stand that make them incredibly hard to hit because your bullets keep hitting the obstruction.

• Upvote (+1) 1

its not just the walls, the bullets sometimes are dragged into a totally wrong place despite your aim being spot on and the crosshair being red, making it look like a "hold the trigger" spread that resulted the miss

just watch any of your last games in a slow-mo speed and youll find those absolutly ridiculous bullet sparks regardless of shooting fast, slow, standing still or being in motion

since the release of the magnetism-hotfix the magnetism is not working as it should, 343i claimed to have the magnetism reverted back as it was before but aside from the wall issue that was also present at that time the magnetism was a lot more spot on before

on the video:

great comparison, we need to twitter that video link to bravo to get this crap fixed as soon as possible

there most likely are just one or two more patches for this game before they shift the focus

10 headshots to kill certain players on certain hosts....

Lack of dedicated servers....

Another bad port job.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

• Upvote (+1) 1

not sure if this is another bug but its really pretty annoying

when playing alone on a high ping host (US for me) the lead and hitreg is perfectly fine, similar to playing low ping host

but as soon as i team up with another euro, and we both play high ping host, the hitreg goes totally out of control

you have to lead huge amounts (im talking 1-2 crosshairs compared to lets say 0,5 crosshairs when being the only EU on the same map and same host) because

the bullet magnetism draws the bullets into totally wrong places, most of the time far behind the enemy and in close and mid range even outside of the crosshair

sometimes the bullet magnetism even draws the bullets above the crosshair where no opponent is

tested it with lots of EU players, trigger not held down ofc

to compensate for that you have to zoom all the time in order to keep the stupid bullet magnetism reasonable, lead is then like normal again

my guess is that there is indeed some lag compensation, when im alone with 3 high ping players the lag compensation does a good job compensating for the huge ping

but as soon as two people get lag compensation it seems like it doesnt work at all

• Upvote (+1) 1

been talking with phorce about this for probably two months now. to put it simply, we've noticed that just his presence in the game seems to make his teammate have a horrible time, even when he's not involved in a gunfight. we didn't want to believe it, but i'm glad you mentioned it here, thanks. i will formulate a best-guess explanation to send to 343.

in the mean time, do you think you could somehow capture your findings? run a custom with some people across the pond and record maybe 3 minutes or so per host, possibly demonstrating the differences? that would be very helpful.

been talking with phorce about this for probably two months now. to put it simply, we've noticed that just his presence in the game seems to make his teammate have a horrible time, even when he's not involved in a gunfight. we didn't want to believe it, but i'm glad you mentioned it here, thanks. i will formulate a best-guess explanation to send to 343.

in the mean time, do you think you could somehow capture your findings? run a custom with some people across the pond and record maybe 3 minutes or so per host, possibly demonstrating the differences? that would be very helpful.

exactly

when i play alone on foreign or local host the aim is spot on, as soon as i play with a friend of me, magnus, it goes nuts

magnus has a pretty poor connection of 2mbit down 0,4mbit up and his ping jitters from 50-150ms quite frequently

the moment i team up with him the aim goes totally nuts (see post above)

im mentioning this cause it might be an important info

to your question:

i still have 4 full gameplays from the last time i teamed with magnus, i kept then as some scenarios where just totally out of bounds although aim was spot on

ofc i can upload them for you if you want to

aside from that i already started gathering solo play material on high ping and low ping host where the aim is spot on

from my research, when capturing 3sks and watching them in super slow-mo, the same aim-scenario with a party involving magnus doesnt result in any hit at all

(got all scenarios already captured, 3sk opposite pacing shots, 3sk same direction pacing shots, 3sk mid-air, 3sk shot on short/mid/long range, 3sk in zoom, ...)

to make it short, i think i have everything that is needed on my HDD for a good comparison

if you want to ill create a video tomorrow with the comparison and post it here

I just had a game where it was taking a full clip for the opponents to kill me all game.

Gotta love that host advantage! 

Anyone seen the community manager for 343?  Is he still copying and pasting the same shit over and over?

I realize that only one summer intern is currently working on the MCC fix, but any update is better than none.....

• Upvote (+1) 1

war

I just had a game where it was taking a full clip for the opponents to kill me all game.

Gotta love that host advantage! 

Anyone seen the community manager for 343?  Is he still copying and pasting the same shit over and over?

I realize that only one summer intern is currently working on the MCC fix, but any update is better than none.....

werent you the one with the google fiber connection having extremly poor hitreg?

if insidi0us and me are right with the posts above then playing with bad-connection players in your party punishes you two

as if the party is treated as one player

since your ping because of fiber will pretty much be ALWAYS ahead of your party-mates ping you should suffer from this way more often than other players do

though when you play alone without party everything should run as intended (as long as you dont pull host ofc)

Yes, that was the case before like 2 weeks ago when I pulled host but now when I pull host it's night and day.  If I don't have host, party or not, shot registry is horrid for me.  Even with my connection when I pull host, others say they can't hit me. I get host, and I can tsk and the game runs like it should run.   So it doesn't matter how good your host or connection is, we can't expect resolution when they only have one summer intern working on MCC....

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the rocket clip demonstrates a fundamental problem with the shooting mechanics of mcc. In OG halo 1, that would be a projectile, and the game wouldn't know if you scored a hit until the very last moment it explodes.

This mcc clip shows that as soon as he pulled the trigger, the game engine decided that this guy was dead, and redecided the shot angle in the following moments to make that happen.

Now apply that to a pistol shot. You pull the trigger, then the game decides your shot angle FOR you, then the bullet travels. By the time the bullet reaches your opponent is it a hit anymore? Did that initial redirection count as the bullet magnetism, or can the bullet still curve toward the enemy in flight?

It's like the game is hit scan but without instantaneous bullet speed. Conflicting ideas at work here.

Wish the company would actually reveal what it is they're doing with engine/netcode.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the rocket clip demonstrates a fundamental problem with the shooting mechanics of mcc. In OG halo 1, that would be a projectile, and the game wouldn't know if you scored a hit until the very last moment it explodes.

This mcc clip shows that as soon as he pulled the trigger, the game engine decided that this guy was dead, and redecided the shot angle in the following moments to make that happen.

Now apply that to a pistol shot. You pull the trigger, then the game decides your shot angle FOR you, then the bullet travels. By the time the bullet reaches your opponent is it a hit anymore? Did that initial redirection count as the bullet magnetism, or can the bullet still curve toward the enemy in flight?

It's like the game is hit scan but without instantaneous bullet speed. Conflicting ideas at work here.

Wish the company would actually reveal what it is they're doing with engine/netcode.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/7778-dedicated-website-for-tracking-halo-ce-gameplay-issues-in-mcc/page-59?do=findComment&comment=491527

What you described is how i thought the SAPP mod on pc worked

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've had this happen to me twice now, so I know it's not a strange one time occurrence. Has anyone else had a power up stop spawning?  One time on chillout OS came up like 3 times and didn't spawn for the rest of the game, and one time on Damy the cammo stopped spawning after 2 times. I didn't record a video because I was playing and couldn't stand still watching a powerup spawn for a minute. 

I've had this happen to me twice now, so I know it's not a strange one time occurrence. Has anyone else had a power up stop spawning?  One time on chillout OS came up like 3 times and didn't spawn for the rest of the game, and one time on Damy the cammo stopped spawning after 2 times. I didn't record a video because I was playing and couldn't stand still watching a powerup spawn for a minute. 

Yes, it's a known glitch

Concerning SAPP's no-lead mod (straight from the horse's mouth - sehé°°, SAPP's creator):

"The no-lead mod isn't strictly related to netcode.
First of all, Sapp makes a copy of the player and the vehicle objects every "thread cycle" (30 times a second, since Halo's physics is set to 30 "FPS"), and stores them for up to 1 second.
Then, every time Halo does a collision check, depending on the ping of the player whom the projectile belongs to, Sapp reverts back the objects of the other players.
For example, if your ping is 200 ms, Sapp restores the state (position, animation, etc.) of the objects of the other players from 6 "tick" ago (200 / 33.333...), so they will reflect the client side state aka what the player actually saw.
Note that you still have to lead for the bullet speed, as I demonstrated it in this video:
"

No idea how MCC's no-lead feature works, as this method almost certainly requires a dedicated server to work.

Follow-up from sehé°° (I asked him if it requires a dedicated server to function correctly):

"No, it would work with a normal game executable too, in fact, the "dedicated server" is just a stripped down version of the game (without DirectX etc.).
Oh, and I forgot to add that the same "adjustment" is done for the bullet magnetism too."

all this talk made me want to look at the rocket's magnetism and auto-aim values.

i found something interesting...

rocket%20aim.jpg

pistol and sniper values included for reference. i wonder why gearbox added some auto-aim for rocket launcher, especially since it was the only weapon to have none, and the game was played with a mouse. and furthermore, i wonder if 343 took it back out. i had found it in my original research last year (half way down this page: snapstarr.com/halomcc), but i was never informed if that was fixed.

so what's causing the rocket to veer? nevermind the lag causing it to change course, should it even "lock" to a player like that? i guess rockets did have magnetism originally (i wouldn't have guessed). anyone ever see any projectile adjustments on rockets when playing og?

• Upvote (+1) 1