chaosTheory

Dedicated website for tracking Halo CE gameplay issues in MCC

love screamin "you can't shoot!!!" at kids now....hilarious...the way i just worked these two kids at camo on HeH....haaaaaaaaa

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is there anyone advocating a full return to pre patch shooting? They aren't in this thread. Nice paragraphs though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there anyone advocating a full return to pre patch shooting? They aren't in this thread. Nice paragraphs though.

There are a lot of people arguing that pre patch was better than this. You aren't in the MCC tourny facebook group where McGavin organizes the 2v2 tournys but that place is a clusterfuck of noobs saying this sucks now and pre patch was way better. That's what I'm arguing against. What are you arguing for? Nice one liners though.

love screamin "you can't shoot!!!" at kids now....hilarious...the way i just worked these two kids at camo on HeH....haaaaaaaaa

What do you mean bro? HH is completely broken now right? Just waving at people across the map.

You do understand that without magnetism mitigating the small amount of spread present in the pistol, long range shooting is left up to RNG right?

And the argument isn't whether we should have pre patch or this, they both suck.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You do understand that without magnetism mitigating the small amount of spread present in the pistol, long range shooting is left up to RNG right?

And the argument isn't whether we should have pre patch or this, they both suck.

I've understood that for more years than I care to admit. Thank for the condescending tone. Guess you're just too smart for me. The argument right now IS pre patch/ vs post patch. Too many people think pre patch was better and this version is broken. You do realize we agree 100% on everything here right? 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Then why are you posting a clip of a long range double kill going lolol not broken? It's flawed evidence based on your understanding of the game mechanics.

You must then understand that the game allowed you to hit those shots based on luck?

• Upvote (+1) 1

And just so we're clear that I'm not just hating your chill out clip was sick. But you were inside his mouth and the whole magnetism/spread thing isnt really an issue from that range.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Then why are you posting a clip of a long range double kill going lolol not broken? It's flawed evidence based on your understanding of the game mechanics.

You must then understand that the game allowed you to hit those shots based on luck?

I'm posting clips like that to attempt to fight against this wave of irrational whining about how you can't hit any shots and entire clips go without landing a single round. It's taken only a few days to adjust to the point of consistent enough shooting, for myself and others, where all the maps are playing as they should. Does there need to be at least OG level magnetism? Of course. But I am hearing an uncomfortable level of MCC players who legitimately believe that pre patch easy mode is better than this. 

But specifically regarding that clip. Spread with no bullet mag does not have any real influence at the range of that dere clip. Red to Blue on HH? Sure some. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

However, to argue that everybody in the world jumping and 3ing and being a god with sniper is somehow better than this is in my opinion very wrong.

no one is arguing that ez 3 is the way to go. At least I am just saying this one is broken as well and am arguing against all the kids who think keeping no magnetism is how the game should be played and that it is better than having magnetism.

This is 100x times better than easy mode shooting. Disagree? Cool. 

This patch has been out what 4 days? People have just gone from months and months of every single player in the game being a god with snipe and jumping around auto 3 shotting. Now they have no bullet magnetism. Nobody is going to be hitting shots consistently 4 days later with such a huge change. The biggest difference in this patch is that the game now plays much more like OG. Rockets are so much more important now. Before this patch Chill Out was getting to the point where getting rockets was an afterthought. People were just getting camo and if they run into the rocket guy oh well. Just 3 shot him. Having rockets was a joke. You're paranoid as hell. If someone gets the first shot on you, you will almost always die without getting a rocket off. This patch is the first time you can actually feel like you earned something with those rockets. Not worried about someone jump 3ing you from wherever they feel like or hitting a headshot from any angle. 

The shooting has changed immensely and is very different than OG. It's extremely hard to shoot now. Even though the way in which it is difficult is different, the result it produces is gameplay that much more accurately portrays OG play than with auto 3 auto blain. Put in any decent amount of time to get used to no bullet mag. I do not just wave at people across hang em. People aren't free to be out in the open. You DO however have the chance to escape when you should. You DONT have to be scared with camo/rocks that if you shoot one rocket you'll get 3'd instantly. You can walk through pink hall on CO and not get blained on the first shot by every single player who plays MCC H1. If you actually think auto 3 is better than no bullet mag you need to spend enough time getting used to it to stop dumping whole clips and missing. 

Toxin and Mighty don't really post here but they, along with trix and I'm sure many others, shared the exact same experience with me after the patch. First night. Game is broken. Second night. Game is okay. Third night. This game plays way more like OG now. Actually having fun playing. Woah, a skill gap? In Halo 1. UNREAL. 

Mighty and Toxin and everyone else thought they broke the game the first time we played. Mighty made posts on facebook saying they broke it. I told him to give it a few days and explained to him how to aim now without bullet mag. 3 days later he is having fun playing H1 on MCC without addy. Let me go ahead and repeat that. MIGHTY. HAVING FUN ON MCC WITHOUT ADDY. Why? Because he adjusted to the harder aiming. Realized that you don't have to worry about getting hit by every pistol/snipe shot. He now agrees this game plays SIGNIFICANTLY more like OG in this patch. 

If you are emptying clips and not hitting you haven't played it enough to get used to the shooting. Try playing enough to get a consistent shot. The games I've been playing in customs with people who are playing a lot have been 10x better than before. The flow of the maps now feels like playing OG games.

Agreed.  I am not even a great player and I now take 5-8 shots to kill.  Unloading a full clip without getting the kill is about as rare as getting a 3 for me (yes even on hangem).   People are way overexagerating the difficulty.  Also now it seems like I am absolutely destroying people that used to give me close games/beat me.  Perhaps its because all they knew was pistoling, and in OG I was more a nader/mind games type player anyway?  Anyway, this version of halo is way better for the skill gap.  With XBL, and how much more people are playing, even if we matched OG the skill gap would not be that large imo.  Can we make it just a tad easier, sure but lets not go back to pre-patch.

The big issue is that people are calling this version "broken" but they didn't refer to the easy 3 mode version as "broken" when that in reality was a much much more broken version than this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If the choice were between this and everyone is god, this is the better choice by far. It is important to make this known to 343i because they have shown absolutely no ability to make this games shooting feel and act like OG shooting. The only thing they've been able to do so far is give it so much magnetism that nobody misses (and unbelievably made it so the higher your ping the easier it got), or take away magnetism all together.

So if they can't/aren't going to make this game shoot like OG, then they need to understand loud and fucking clear that if we have to choose between way too easy shooting and way too hard shooting, the latter is the best option. We all want this game to play as close to OG as it possibly can. I don't know if they are capable of doing it, but if these are the options before us we need to make sure we never return to shooting in Halo 1 that easy. It changes the game in such a fundamental way. Where as making the shooting more difficult than OG, while obviously being different, does a much better job of replicating an OG experience. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

There are a lot of people arguing that pre patch was better than this. You aren't in the MCC tourny facebook group where McGavin organizes the 2v2 tournys but that place is a clusterfuck of noobs saying this sucks now and pre patch was way better. That's what I'm arguing against. What are you arguing for? Nice one liners though.

Yeah I seriously don't get it, all these trolls on the fb group saying it is broken and they're not going to play until it is fixed, and asking if we've even played OG. No dudes, but have you since MCC came out? They are way too used to easy shooting and they think rockets/grenades shouldn't be powerful. I mean if you think you shouldn't be whiffing 5+ shots ever, you should probably go watch the 4 horseman series. We've got guys on there saying they can't 3 shot people standing still, and it's absolutely hilarious to read.

It's definitely too hard but like TSP says, I just don't want 343i to go overboard and bring it back to pre-patch level, which was honestly garbage in comparison to this patch, and did not play like OG at all. That's the only reason I'm arguing about this with people.

I agree that anyone who thinks aiming in this patch is "impossible" just gave up on the game because you were too used to how easy it was before. You sound like Halo 2 kids who tried CE for a day and gave up on it because "the pistol was totally ghey". I'm garbage at aiming (compared to top tier players) and even I have adjusted to it and it feels great to outshoot people and stomp them, and then when I play a to2 like Optimo and his partner in matchmaking and they crush me I'm just like.. damn they are SICK. That's what Halo CE is all about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is harder shooting technically better? Sure. Technically.

Does it fuck with the balance of H1, a balance which already sits on a really delicate fulcrum and requires everything to be working in sync? Absolutely.

This is equally as annoying as pre-patch. There was already something wrong with the pistol before, but now that same wrongness exists in conjunction with absolutely no assistance from the game, creating an utter lack of cohesion in shooting. I now carry around a sniper full-time on Chilly and Dammy because at least it works correctly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Is harder shooting technically better? Sure. Technically.

Does it fuck with the balance of H1, a balance which already sits on a really delicate fulcrum and requires everything to be working in sync? Absolutely.

This is equally as annoying as pre-patch. There was already something wrong with the pistol before, but now that same wrongness exists in conjunction with absolutely no assistance from the game, creating an utter lack of cohesion in shooting. I now carry around a sniper full-time on Chilly and Dammy because at least it works correctly.

Ya. Long range already felt stupid pre patch. I'd rather listen to your cover of the Arthur and the Knights of Justice theme song than play any version of mcc h1 we've been presented thus far.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ya. Long range already felt stupid pre patch. I'd rather listen to your cover of the Arthur and the Knights of Justice theme song than play any version of mcc h1 we've been presented thus far.

*Dainty yet mysterious piccolo theme*

I feel like this analogy was the worst one you could have picked. 

How so?  All the increased "speed" cable companies are touting is essentially just adding another lane to the highway.  If your connection is congested, get a fatter line, but your ping is likely not going to change.  

Well it carries enough information such that I notice a distinct difference. My router enables me to change my connection speed both up and down without effecting ping, so I'm going run some tests on it. Also I don't care how good someone's connection overseas is, they are bullet sponges!

I don't know what the actual bandwidth needs are for Halo, but I sincerely doubt they come anywhere close to getting bottlenecked on a 100d10u, and much less a 20d5u line.  Just sayin'.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll be honest, my reaction to this patch is essentially what 3shot said Toxin and Mighty's reaction to it is.  First day was trash; second day was, hmm, this is maybe alright; third day was, ya, this feels pretty damn good; and it's only gone up from there.  

The maps PLAY like OG much more.  Sure, the pistol is different, and I don't think it's where it should be long term, but I can run maps all day long and pistol battles against good players are actually exciting.  

Is it annoying to shoot entire clips at people across certain maps?  Hell yes, but I've found that timing my shots, and using my clip conservatively, I come out of pistol battles alive much more often than I did prepatch.  

I still think they need around 20-30% bullet magnetism, but that's about it.  And it may be I've gotten used to it, but yesterday and today almost feels like they may have ninja patched it already with a slight magnetism boost.

I actually like it somewhat.

I can finally walk around Hang 'Em High without getting pistol sniped the moment I leave a doorway.

You're just getting used to it, lol

Probably.  

The CE purist in me hates that I actually like this patch.  I HATE I have to aim differently than OG.  But the CE purist in me KNOWS the maps flow much more closely to OG.  Powerups feel powerful, rockets and snipes feel powerful, map movements feel more strategic, and scrubs are scrubs again. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Probably.  

The CE purist in me hates that I actually like this patch.  I HATE I have to aim differently than OG.  But the CE purist in me KNOWS the maps flow much more closely to OG.  Powerups feel powerful, rockets and snipes feel powerful, map movements feel more strategic, and scrubs are scrubs again. 

This is basically all the BS I've posted trying to make a point, in a nut shell. 

someone record a few games of top players in mcc playing, like toxin and snipy. I would like to watch how it looks at the highest level vs good competition. From what I watched with dirt, toxin, snipy they were still shooting really well. 

As being a part of that FB group I haven't really seen anyone saying pre-patch was better. People are complaining because there is no/very little magnetism and that changes the balance of the game. I will say that the maps do play "closer" to OG now and the flow of the game is more similar, however, the game is still far from 100% functional. It seems to me that most people want something that's something sort of CLOSE to OG (and duh but I think we are past the point of expecting anything really close). 

The FB group seems to be opposed to playing this game for money right now and I agree with them. But it was silly to play for money in the first place considering the state of the game. I think this patch is worse for the game overall simply because people jumping into the playlist who are even remotely familiar with the game are going to get frustrated and dip out ASAP because they can't land shots. Is it their fault they can't land shots? Absolutely. But we are playing on ultra-hard mode and it does present a problem at the higher tiers of gameplay. Halo 1 wasn't meant to be an overly highly technical, 100% accurate sort of aiming game (because it is a console game after all) and playing any serious games shows how wild that can be. 

TLDR: the game does play closer to OG but it's still a far cry from what it should be. It's better than pre-patch but it 100% needs to be toned down. I'm not really saying anything that anyone hasn't said already but...

byyyyyyeeeee

Edit: I will note that I've played one series on this patch vs Hali/Mighty and that's been my exposure to the patch on a high level. I will play more and continue to develop my opinion but I feel the above opinion is in line with how most people think about the patch. 

• Upvote (+1) 2