chaosTheory

Dedicated website for tracking Halo CE gameplay issues in MCC

This is an honest question. How hard would it be for 343 to start from scratch with an exact duplicate of OG's aiming/magnetism settings, and add basic lag compensation? Basically, XBC with little or no input lag?

would take a day at most if they didnt put it on mcc. just port over the one from the xbox and add a tunneling system and put it up for download on xbl marketplace and you're done. 

Also i'd rather have visible input lag than the current hidden input lag.

They already did it for xbox 360 minus adding the tunneling software. I would really like it if they did that too so I could choose to play og with low ping friends. The only problem low ping xbc had was the host didnt have a ping or bullet lag. They add some kind of neutral host system into it and some people would like it better then mcc.

would take a day at most if they didnt put it on mcc. just port over the one from the xbox and add a tunneling system and put it up for download on xbl marketplace and you're done. 

Also i'd rather have visible input lag than the current hidden input lag.

its not that easy, Xbox One is a totally different system very close to a PC unlike the original Xbox

if it was that easy they would have used the original Xbox code rather than the PC port :)

and even for the PC port it probably took weeks to optimize it for the Xbox One

• Upvote (+1) 1

its not that easy, Xbox One is a totally different system very close to a PC unlike the original Xbox

if it was that easy they would have used the original Xbox code rather than the PC port :)

and even for the PC port it probably took weeks to optimize it for the Xbox One

im willing to put money down that the only reason they used pc as the base was so they wouldnt have to convert pc maps to xbox maps. 

"it would take 30mins to convert the pc maps to the original game jeff. Or... we could just start right now with the pc game!"

"good plan Bob"

• Downvote (-1) 1

You can't "just port" the Xbox version. It may use Pentium and nVidia chips, but they're custom. PC version was way easier/cheaper.

They already did it for xbox 360 minus adding the tunneling software.

Halo Anniversary is the PC version, and although you can play the Xbox version on 360, it's merely emulated. If they went that route, they would have to recomplie the original code with added netcode, and it could be tricky getting the right people for that kind of job. Not to mention emulation usually results in bugs unless a lot of work is put into it...might as well just do an actual port at that point.

You can't "just port" the Xbox version. It may use Pentium and nVidia chips, but they're custom. PC version was way easier/cheaper.

but they can port perfect dark on the 360...with online multiplayer

after watching these videos all i'm seeing now is my shots flying right over heads with my reticle dead centered on players....good lord....wat the fuck

Pretty sure Farsight meant you can't 'just port' something in a day, like oh4 claimed.

That would have also been the case with PD.

They messed up that port too. Not quite as bad as Halo PC, and a far cry from MCC, but it had no original graphics option, weak online options, messed up controls, and some brand new bugs.

Fine for the casual player, but a real pain for the purists...

• Upvote (+1) 2

im willing to put money down that the only reason they used pc as the base was so they wouldnt have to convert pc maps to xbox maps.

"it would take 30mins to convert the pc maps to the original game jeff. Or... we could just start right now with the pc game!"

"good plan Bob"

Look man if you don't know anything about game development or porting please don't spread misinformation like this alright?

Should they have done it with the xbox version... Yes. Was it easier with pc... Undoubtedly. They took the cheap lazy route instead of the bluepoint games approach.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like throwing nades, seeing the animation take place, and watching the nade come out seconds later.  

Here is your typical 343 studio thought process:

"hey bob, how can we design the game so that in matchmaking, what is happening on the players screen isn't what is actually happening in real time?!"

"well jeff, the key to that would be to not have dedicated servers so that players with good connections run the risk of having to deal with issues caused by others with shitty connections"

"this sounds good bob, let's do away with dedicated servers so that this can be halo, just as they remembered it"

I like throwing nades, seeing the animation take place, and watching the nade come out seconds later.  

I like throwing them, seeing the animation take place, and watching nothing come out....

just like I remember it

They messed up that port too. Not quite as bad as Halo PC, and a far cry from MCC, but it had no original graphics option, weak online options, messed up controls, and some brand new bugs.

Fine for the casual player, but a real pain for the purists...

Also, didn't they actually go back and re-write the new code to match the old code. Of course there were some new additions to Perfect Dark, but my understanding of it has always been this.. Perfect Dark would have been impossible to put on XBL because the game had no online multiplayer/netcode in place. The developer than chose to re-write the game as close to the original as they could while adding in the netcode and the entire online portion. This is all opposed to forcing in online multiplayer into a coded game that you didn't work on.

Could that be why there was no original graphics?

Also, didn't they actually go back and re-write the new code to match the old code. Of course there were some new additions to Perfect Dark, but my understanding of it has always been this.. Perfect Dark would have been impossible to put on XBL because the game had no online multiplayer/netcode in place. The developer than chose to re-write the game as close to the original as they could while adding in the netcode and the entire online portion. This is all opposed to forcing in online multiplayer into a coded game that you didn't work on.

Could that be why there was no original graphics?

Rewriting the old code is what porting is. The only other option is emulation, which is generally buggy, and if you wanted to add anything new, you'd have to recompile the old code, which would be tricky, because you'd have to find people who have the skills to work with old code.

There's nothing preventing a perfect 1-to-1 port of any game except time/budget, and intentions. 4J Games redesigned several of PD's weapons and character heads to look completely different, and Gearbox altered some of Halo 1's multiplayer maps. The only reason I can think of for these decisions is that they wanted to put their own stamp on the games.

It kind of bothers me that this last patch caused a ton of new issues and 343 didn't put a public response out acknowledging it......I didnt think they would make us wait an entire month for an update since it is so bad.

There's nothing preventing a perfect 1-to-1 port of any game except time/budget, and intentions.

Do you think it is possible to make CE's online shooting identical to the way lan felt through netcode though?

Do you think it is possible to make CE's online shooting identical to the way lan felt through netcode though?

Well, that's sort of the question I was asking. How hard would it be for 343 to take an EXACT copy of Halo 1's aiming mechanics, and add netcode?

It kind of bothers me that this last patch caused a ton of new issues and 343 didn't put a public response out acknowledging it......I didnt think they would make us wait an entire month for an update since it is so bad.

Yep, the game is inconsistent.  I just played some matchmaking for 3 hours and against some players I was easily getting 3's and then against others I couldn't even 3 them off their spawn.   Game is just wayyyyy to random to even take seriously. Even watching snipy and toxin's stream I see guys just eating their bullets.  16 year old technology and they still can't get it right even after 6 months.

i'll take that bet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

oh hey so i made a discovery i little while ago, i didnt say anything because i thought people knew. But just incase people dont. When the glitch where you go to pick up camo as your pre-obtained camo is fading and the new camo picks up but doesnt show that you are camouflaged. You do actually have the camo, you just cant see it yourself. I was playing with a buddie when i found it out, i asked him and he said i was camo, so i continued to quick camo and could walk past kids without being seen. next time it happens ill make a clip 

it doesnt happen to me very often though.

oh hey so i made a discovery i little while ago, i didnt say anything because i thought people knew. But just incase people dont. When the glitch where you go to pick up camo as your pre-obtained camo is fading and the new camo picks up but doesnt show that you are camouflaged. You do actually have the camo, you just cant see it yourself. I was playing with a buddie when i found it out, i asked him and he said i was camo, so i continued to quick camo and could walk past kids without being seen. next time it happens ill make a clip 

it doesnt happen to me very often though.

It's possible the glitch may not show up for each person in the game, the same way it won't happen to you every time. I've had times where people picked me out across the map. after my camo disappeared. We could get a few people in the same game and try it out a couple times, recording everyone's POV.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's possible the glitch may not show up for each person in the game, the same way it won't happen to you every time. I've had times where people picked me out across the map. after my camo disappeared. We could get a few people in the same game and try it out a couple times, recording everyone's POV.

I think we should do that for a lot of things, we need to break down more on certain issues and what situations are more likely to cause them.

• Upvote (+1) 1