chaosTheory

Dedicated website for tracking Halo CE gameplay issues in MCC

are you sure about that?

all maps are bottomless outside of the geometry. boarding action had a bottom to the space between the ships, but those were modeled surfaces tagged with the "+sky" texture, which makes them invisible with collision (keeps the world sealed). every map is a sealed world, and if you were to get through those bounds, it's bottomless. i've made halo maps from scratch, the same way bungie did. there is no bottom.

I'm sure your right. I remember once a very long time ago i fell through blood gulch on pc with infinite life. I could have sworn i remember a bottom when we tried it with a flag.

Also for halo pc there is a tool called open sauce i think that allows you too alter the engine coding i believe, i wonder if that could help

I was in an oddball match on chill out and i fell through the map with the ball in the hallway, as do a lot of people colliding in there. When I respawned I watched the balls distance grow further and further away until about 1.6km until it respawned.

After reading 343's latest update note, it looks like they haven't brought anything new to Halo CE... It's been one month since the latest patch was released. What a disgrace...!

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Mat Logan You ain't kidding. I was talking to Ghostayame and he said he basically had to stay on their ass about each and every little thing that needed to be fixed. I suppose their concern with fixing H1 is basically nill. (Just like MCC and making H5 competitive)

Whenever I play off host I get the worst Negative Magnetism Anti Auto Aim Glitch bullshit you've ever seen. I honestly feel like the severity of the glitch is all about your ping to the host because most people I talk to don't notice it and others say its rare.

I was talking to Ghostayame and he said he basically had to stay on their ass about each and every little thing that needed to be fixed.

I can relate as a tester. If I don't constantly nag the programmers where I work to fix things nothing significant ever gets done. Somehow they always have a way to present even notable gameplay affecting bugs as minor issues that aren't worth the time to fix.

As it goes with MCC currently I'm really concerned that anti-aim still hasn't been addressed. Even some mention that it's an issue they're aware of and trying to fix would be nice to see rather than weeks of silence and no mention of the game in the latest patch notes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This reminds me of that random death on Rat Race from a while ago:

https://xboxdvr.com/Cynder123/270ffdb9-6c63-4667-a3fa-f9db028c033d#t=17

It looks like the enemy's death melee comes out and connects when he gets a phantom spawn.

Edit: nevermind on the death melee, his melee counted before the death. It kind of looked like he spawn meleed though, so the player could have been standing between the phantom spawn and the real spawn as the spawn melee hit.

Although I agree that the patch notes look absolute shit, I think we should wait for the patch to drop before judging. The last point on "stability improvements" is very vague, and could potentially cover game-specific items. Especially considering that they have had more than 3 weeks of time to work on improvements, without the "disturbance" of pushing out a patch a week. Also, they have been fixing some things without even mentioning it earlier - e.g. camo and the weapon rotations.

With that in mind, it is difficult to imagine that they have just fixed the few things mentioned in the notes. On the other hand, we should probably not be surprised if 343 goes on to disappoint us...

#Believe

• Upvote (+1) 2

After reading 343's latest update note, it looks like they haven't brought anything new to Halo CE... It's been one month since the latest patch was released. What a disgrace...!

To be fair, 343 fixed camo and many of the weapon orientations with no mention in the patch notes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have they caught the guy who stole rockets from derelict yet?

They probably haven't noticed they're gone yet. Unless Ghost caught him but even then the Rockets might still sit on someones desk waiting to be returned to the game.

Post patch, I played 6 games:

2 on Priz

1 on Creek

1 on Chill Out

2 on Dammy

No Rat Race, Wizard so far... Winning!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Post patch, I played 6 games:

2 on Priz

1 on Creek

1 on Chill Out

2 on Dammy

No Rat Race, Wizard so far... Winning!

Anti aim still around?

Anti aim still around?

I personally never encountered it but I think @@Batchford did. Since it seems to be related to latency or connection in general I didn't want to jump the gun...

I personally never encountered it but I think @@Batchford did. Since it seems to be related to latency or connection in general I didn't want to jump the gun...

it always seemed to kick in for me when either me or my opponent was on a slanted/sloped area.

it always seemed to kick in for me when either me or my opponent was on a slanted/sloped area.

Yeah that's what causes it. But it isn't there on host or really low pings it seems.

could be ping, could be packet loss, definitely amplified by but not restricted to verticality, definitely the worst thing any FPS has ever done to me.

Have they caught the guy who stole rockets from derelict yet?

that was sort of a collaboration between OG bungie and gearbox, really. not 343's "fault" per se.

so if they are still sitting

on someones desk waiting to be returned to the game.

it's a desk at gearbox.

basically, as most modders know, and some competitive folks who've talked to modders have learned, the rockets in derelict were [mistakenly] set on a 30 second timer because that weapon was originally going to be a flamethrower (yes, by bungie. yes, at some point probably even into 2001), but thankfully it was removed from the game entirely, probably by hardy lebel after a heated debate on game balance with max hoberman's DUMB ugly ass stupid ass fuckhead brain). sorry, just... the guy is confused by Chill Out.

anyway, the flamethrower's og-bungie-tested spawn time was theoretically 30 seconds (a fine enough length of time for a weapon no one should pick up). then when it was "removed", it was done so in some (or all[?]) instances by simply switching the tag pointers to rocket launchers instead. again, not sure which rockets were actually originally flamethrowers, or when they were switched/removed, but in the case of derelict's rockets, our best deduction was that they switched to a rocket launcher, but that doesn't change its spawn time by default. there's a separate value in the tags to designate that, and it was forgotten.

this all leads me to believe that the flamethrower removal was an extremely late decision, and further play-testing was so limited that nobody noticed the spawn time. honestly, most of the play testers at the time probably had little to zero knowledge of timing the weapons in their office games anyway.

this all to say that when gearbox took the game, MUTILATED it, and spat it back out with senselessly fucked up geometry, fuel rod guns and flamethrowers, the OG settings, referred to as "classic" gametypes (what you now see in MCC), ignored the old rocket tag because it makes a reference to the flamethrower, but gearbox "added" a flamethrower to derelict, in a different location. my theory is that this "addition" was more of a "movement" of an existing weapon, which effectively deleted the rockets. gearbox didn't care, because they're as dumb as hoberman, which seems impossible, considering hoberman.

so if you go into halo pc, there's no team slayer gametype that produces rockets in derelict.

tl;dr? aww

• Upvote (+1) 7

Must be nice. Do you have Fios? 

This is an OT question but does anyone know who the original map designers for H1 were? To me, Lockout and Midship were the only good maps in H2. I only enjoyed Pit in Halo 3. In Halo: Reach, 4 and 5 there are zero good maps. Who were these masters of map architecture? I mean I even have days where I love Chiron.

Must be nice. Do you have Fios?

Yeah. 75mbps down, 7,5mbps up.

Also IMO Arena Zealot from Reach was a good map in ZBNS especially for FFA.

Did you hate Zealot as well?

This is an OT question but does anyone know who the original map designers for H1 were? To me, Lockout and Midship were the only good maps in H2. I only enjoyed Pit in Halo 3. In Halo: Reach, 4 and 5 there are zero good maps. Who were these masters of map architecture? I mean I even have days where I love Chiron.

Chris Carney, Hardy LeBel, and Peter Marks are the main three that deserve the credit there. 

To my knowledge, Hardy LeBel (the man, the myth, the legend, the genius) designed and textured some of the maps on his own, as did former architect Chris Carney, whom also polished/tweaked/completed some other levels that were started by two other guys that were moved off the map design team early on (for reasons). Peter Marks created the first draft of Hang Em High and I believe the three of them collaborated to finish it (I'm making deductions based on some past research I did and some recent info from Hardy himself > hardylebel.com) If you decide to read that, you'll soon learn that he's the biggest reason H1 multiplayer is so amazingly timeless and deep. Unfortunately you'll also find out (if you read the comments [worth reading]) that the inventor of HeH passed away [from cancer (found elsewhere)]. As far as which guy made what of the other maps, I don't know for certain. I do remember reading something ages ago about Prisoner's design, and I think it was written by Carney, but there are no obvious Carney Holes in prisoner and I can't find the article again. The same article mentioned the Carney Hole in Blood Gulch though, so my guess is he created BG, or at least had a hand in it. 

Hardy has mentioned that in the near future he may discuss his techniques regarding level design. Being an active map-maker myself, I'm SERIOUSLY looking forward to more information from that dude.

EDIT:

welp, I followed my own link and found a new post by Hardy, where he mentions Chris Carney did design prisoner. There's an interesting tid-bit about how the map didn't work very well at first... http://www.hardylebel.com/2015/01/universal-truth-number-one-3/...read the whole thing or scroll to just above the last picture in the right of the column. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Hardy has mentioned that in the near future he may discuss his techniques regarding level design. Being an active map-maker myself, I'm SERIOUSLY looking forward to more information from that dude.

You may have seen this, but Hardy posted yesterday that he's holding a 30 min Google+ webinar on February 4th at 6PM (PST) to discuss level design and is taking requests for topics to discuss. 

http://www.hardylebel.com/2015/01/level-design-webinar-free/

• Upvote (+1) 3