chaosTheory

Dedicated website for tracking Halo CE gameplay issues in MCC

I was thinking that having an in-game timer would be pretty neat. Especially since most people timing aren't getting it down to the second because of the way the game starts. Someone let 'em know and make it happen!

You're not the only one to think it or want it. It was talked about before the game released, after the game released. Personally, I want the OPTION to use one. A menu option for every player to choose whether they use it or not. It's not hard to code (I did a visual one in my new maps (Halo+), and Halo1Final has an audio one hardcoded (the best way to do it). I just think it was a deliberate decision not to include one or go through the effort. Yeah, sad. :(

Does anyone know why this happens?  Happens to me all the time.

We've had it bugged for a while, but the inability to pick up another one is a new find (and a good clue as to what's happening in the gamestate). Great cap, used it here: http://www.halobugs.com/#?b=116

Annnd missingno just shows that more work may need to be done on the new camo pickup lmao

Honestly it makes sense to me that you can't pick up another one. You do get the audio cue, so the game knows you got it, and the 45 second clock starts again. It's a visual bug only. So if they fix that, the "2nd pickup" will not need to be fixed, thus will be "fixed" automatically. Does that make sense? In any case, I'll keep this one at the top of the list because it's happening to a lot of people.

@@insidi0us

@@Mintograde

Don't know if delayed MM Weapon spawns are on Halobugs but it seems they fixed it.

Timer should be started the same way as in custom games now. (when the loading circle freezes for the 2nd time)

Another sneaky fix! :) (Sry if late haven't played over the Holidays)

PS: The game loads up directly after the countdown now as opposed to before where there was a delay...

I don't know what delayed MM weapon spawns are...

Timers still aren't perfectly consistent for me. 2nd load freeze works perfectly in customs, but MM still depends on the connection quality at the beginning. Sometimes they're on, sometimes no.

Going through the list, here's a couple bugs I noticed that are fixed:

- Picking up camo right after yours runs out does not cancel the new camo anymore.

- Is phall damage still a thing? I have not experienced this in weeks, neither have my teammates

- Hit registration might be moving into "fixed" category. I doubt it'll get better. We'll see after the next patch though.

- I believe client side visual indicators are actually fixed. I know it hasn't been confirmed by 343i but I haven't noticed it at all compared to the first 3 weeks the game was released.

1 - See all above. It's not fixed, you're probably just hosting more frequently or getting lucky with connection quality at the time of pickup. I think it's definitely network related. Something about host and client disagreeing on whether you should have been allowed to pick up the new camo.

2 - Good catch. I remember asking in here a while ago if anyone else has been experiencing it, the few answers I got were no. I've "resolved" it.

3 - Yes, hit registration is very good now. I'm gonna give it a few more weeks and a few more updates to see what else they futz with.

4 - Shield flare after death is still happening, and it still really irks me. My eyes are trained to see the death text at the top left, but it's just so satisfying seeing a shield pop after a snipe. Makes the death animations look wrong/dumb/ugly. I'm hoping they can tweak this a little more, but it's so low priority on everyone else's list that I haven't been pushing too hard on that one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@insidi0us

What I'm sayin' is that in the 4 games I played in Matchmaking today starting the timer at 2nd load freeze worked like it was a custom game and the timer was in sync with the spawns. Luck?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

@@insidi0us

What I'm sayin' is that in the 4 games I played in Matchmaking today starting the timer at 2nd load freeze worked like it was a custom game and the timer was in sync with the spawns. Luck?

Did you have host in those games? In the past, the 2nd-freeze-start only worked when hosting in matchmaking. I'll run a couple MM games tonight and check again.

Even in the past couple days, I've seen some players join into the game 5+ seconds late, and I think their timers would be off no matter what.

@@insidi0us

Yes, I'd say luck, because like you, I start my timer at 2nd load freeze and I had 3 or 4 matchmaking games in a row that the timer worked perfectly, and then I had a couple isolated games where it was off by literally 8 seconds, at the very first minute. It's network related, and I think they need to put some more work into synchronizing everyone's item spawns during game-starts and host migrations.

Seems to me that the sniper is much easier to hit then I remember. Either that or I've just improved since playing last.

I've felt this way sometimes too. But I always end up thinking it's due to the crispy 1080p and larger screen that I now use. When I get head shots with the sniper, I can clearly see that my reticle is on the guy's face. It's not like I'm landing shots that don't look like they hit. Mayyyybee the magnetism (when it's fucking working correctly) is amplified a touch?

Also, I'm way too lazy to verify this with an OG box, but I think the size of the sniper reticle as compared to a guy in your view is smaller. That is to say, its smaller when compared to the size of your screen as well. Like when the game released with the giant sniper reticle, they shrank it until it looked good, but I think they made it even smaller? That might be why it feels easier to get your reticle completely inside someone's head at a given distance.

I think physically, the sniper reticle's diameter looks sexy. I just think at the modern resolution, it's size ratio to the screen is smaller, similar to how your health bar and ammo take up less real estate on the monitor.

Yes, I'd say luck, because like you, I start my timer at 2nd load freeze and I had 3 or 4 matchmaking games in a row that the timer worked perfectly, and then I had a couple isolated games where it was off by literally 8 seconds, at the very first minute. It's network related, and I think they need to put some more work into synchronizing everyone's item spawns during game-starts and host migrations.

Same. Just played 6 MM games, 3 onhost and 3 offhost. The onhost games and two of the offhost games were right on time, the 3rd offhost game was off by 10 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Same. Just played 6 MM games, 3 onhost and 3 offhost. The onhost games and two of the offhost games were right on time, the 3rd offhost game was off by 10 seconds.

What is this on-host/off-host nonsense? This game has had dedicated servers from the start - 90% of game are being played on dedis!

:^)

Times seems to be based on when host loads the map (I guess). I've noticed that I when I'm host that my timer is always on point and when off-host it's delayed by x seconds. I wish there was some script when the game loads to let you know when to start your timer. Or like you guys were talking about above... an in-game timer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anyone know why this happens?  Happens to me all the time.

This would happen to me all the time in Halo PC. This is obviously some timing/syncing issue between the client and server.

I feel like timer in mm is usually off by a large margin on certain maps in mm. I start timer on second freeze too and the only maps where it seems its usually correct are HH and prisoner. Most others are very inconsistent.

The biggest thing we need still is ranks, so hard to get a game where everyone is anywhere near the same ability. I definitely agree the sniper feels easier, seems to allow a little bit of sweep sniping like h2, not the same extent though obviously. I actually dont mind the two nades start, might even prefer it

What do people mean when they say "AR quick camo"? does this mean that when you have the AR equipped you go from visible to camouflaged quicker than normal?

I've heard it many times but I've never known what it meant.

When you have camo and shoot at automatic weapon you go from being visible back to camo almost instantly after the last bullet is fired. If you shoot the pistol or any other non automatic weapon it take 3 to 5 seconds before you are back to full camo. However, if you're shooting the pistol and have an automatic weapon as your secondary you can switch to it immediately after you fire the pistol and go to camo much quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When you have camo and shoot at automatic weapon you go from being visible back to camo almost instantly after the last bullet is fired. If you shoot the pistol or any other non automatic weapon it take 3 to 5 seconds before you are back to full camo. However, if you're shooting the pistol and have an automatic weapon as your secondary you can switch to it immediately after you fire the pistol and go to camo much quickly.

I wouldn't say automatic. It's the non-zoomable weapons minus needler.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lol thanks guys.

Also, different weapons quick camo at different rates. The Plasma Rifle is the fastest, and the Shotgun actually isn't very fast. I forget where the Plasma Pistol is but I'm pretty sure it's decently fast.

Lol thanks guys.

Also, different weapons quick camo at different rates. The Plasma Rifle is the fastest, and the Shotgun actually isn't very fast. I forget where the Plasma Pistol is but I'm pretty sure it's decently fast.

haha dammit, relyx beat me to it. was on mobile and didn't see the new page. you just got double bugfisted.

also, here...

regrowth.jpg

shotgun is almost as good as plasma pistol and AR

• Upvote (+1) 1

hmm, does that say "when zoomed" on the rocket movement penalty? wonder if that was a planned mechanic that never ended up getting used

it says "when zoomed or reloading" and yeah, i'm glad it didn't make it in the final build. he can flip tanks but can't run with two pipes on his shoulder.

I was at a lan a few nights back and we were pondering if there was a way to mod the host or client xbox separately to either place the host player under the map, or disable the host's hitboxes player model and spawn influence.or possibly start the host only, with 0 lives. So that the client can't physically alter the host in any way. Is this possible in any form?

i assume you want three xboxes, a single player box for host, and two split-screen join boxes, to eliminate host advantage?

i made a 6 inch crossover cable to use at DMAQ lans and those games were noticeably better, but still had very, very slight host advantage. i honestly had better shots off-host because of how much xbc i played, but i'm not answering the question.

even if you wrote a script to place the host player under the map (no clue how to go about this), he will fall to his death under there, if i remember correctly, and then respawn. then what? removing spawn influence would be in the engine, can't mod that. targeting only his hitboxes with a script would also be difficult, and something i don't know how to do. spawning one player with zero lives and everyone else with infinite lives seems impossible, but yet another thing i've never done/tried. plus, in all of these ideas, you'd need custom scripts compiled into all the maps, and each xbox needs to agree, or else they will drop out of sync.

not to mention, you're stuck with 2-grenade start by having the 5th player. (if that is that what you're doing...?)

still going on that assumption, why not just use the single player box to host, then quit him out? that effectively removes his hitboxes and spawn influence, lol..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Host adv was exactly on point.

If spawning under the map was possible could spawning him at the very bottom fix him falling to his death. Each map is essentially a large box if you fall through eventually you'll hit the bottom.