chaosTheory

Dedicated website for tracking Halo CE gameplay issues in MCC

without seeing more of the clip, and assuming the flag announcements are pretty close to real time, and not late due to a long queue of "returned, taken, returned, taken" announcements, it sounds like your team's flag was gone when you tried to crouch-score (you hear the can't-score buzzing) and returned just after the last time you crouched, right before you walked off as you were getting shot (it's visible then). when you died, you can see that you let the flag go, and it looks like the flag should get blown forward, but then doesn't show up in your deathscreen down the hall. so either it bounced off something or was blown back into that corner you spawned in.

or, the host never got the signal that you dropped it, so when you spawned back in, you still had the status of flag-carrier. similar things have persisted through death. @@Hasuku CE posted a bug (http://www.halobugs.com/#?b=104) where he spawned with overshield because he "died with it"... so it's tough to say what happened in your clip without seeing some more before you tried to score, and also someone else's perspective would help too.

so maybe just packet loss, like the clip above, or maybe related to your ping/place of residence. speaking of which... i played with you a few nights ago, and i had previously said that leading was not required off-host anymore (to which you disagreed). i said that because in most cases, if everyone in the game is relatively local and under 100-150ms ping (guessing), leading is effectively removed with the new lag compensation (rewind-time style, i presume). but in the 4v4 game against you, we all commented about how our shots weren't landing on you specifically. i think it was prophLEET who referred to you as "the unkillable one"

i think it's safe to assume that your high ping (in norway, was it?) is why you disagreed with me about not needing to lead, and also may have something to do with your keeping the flag through death, if that's what happened. i still think you just spawned on it tho because it shows the actual animation of picking it up, as opposed to just already having it...

• Upvote (+1) 1

without seeing more of the clip, and assuming the flag announcements are pretty close to real time, and not late due to a long queue of "returned, taken, returned, taken" announcements, it sounds like your team's flag was gone when you tried to crouch-score (you hear the can't-score buzzing) and returned just after the last time you crouched, right before you walked off as you were getting shot (it's visible then). when you died, you can see that you let the flag go, and it looks like the flag should get blown forward, but then doesn't show up in your deathscreen down the hall. so either it bounced off something or was blown back into that corner you spawned in.

or, the host never got the signal that you dropped it, so when you spawned back in, you still had the status of flag-carrier. similar things have persisted through death. @@Hasuku CE posted a bug (http://www.halobugs.com/#?b=104) where he spawned with overshield because he "died with it"... so it's tough to say what happened in your clip without seeing some more before you tried to score, and also someone else's perspective would help too.

so maybe just packet loss, like the clip above, or maybe related to your ping/place of residence. speaking of which... i played with you a few nights ago, and i had previously said that leading was not required off-host anymore (to which you disagreed). i said that because in most cases, if everyone in the game is relatively local and under 100-150ms ping (guessing), leading is effectively removed with the new lag compensation (rewind-time style, i presume). but in the 4v4 game against you, we all commented about how our shots weren't landing on you specifically. i think it was prophLEET who referred to you as "the unkillable one"

i think it's safe to assume that your high ping (in norway, was it?) is why you disagreed with me about not needing to lead, and also may have something to do with your keeping the flag through death, if that's what happened. i still think you just spawned on it tho because it shows the actual animation of picking it up, as opposed to just already having it...

I think it certainly is a bug, and yes a lot of it could probably be attributed to my high ping. (I'm guessing 150 ms east coast, 200ms west coast). The game wasn't very laggy for me though.

Yes Norway is correct (you remembered!!), I wonder how "bad" it is for those playing against me, because I'm not having a hard time killing on US host, perhaps I have an advantage?

I still think it's hilarious that I spawn with the flag in my hands, talk about no effort.  :lol:

Any one else getting an issue where the playlist will sometimes match 4v4? Doesn't make sense to me.. Also i played a terribly laggy game on creek, and i noticed a few weird bugs, the portal wasn't going white when someone tried to go through, ended up killing me.. Also i tried to reload a rocket, still had 1 rocket ready, but it wouldn't reload. After i shot the rocket again it reloaded but i still kept the rocket i shot..?

I have had that phantom rocket thing happen, too. When I can't reload I just know the shot never actually fired. Might be something to do with quickswitching too fast after the rocket comes out. The host seems to have an effect on explosive projectile timing. Join a really high ping match you might notice delay in your nades coming out which would indicate that the host still gets to determine instantiation of physics affecting projectiles. Rockets and nades would be involved in this because of how you can't have multiple clients saying they saw different explosion positions for nades. So there might be an issue where you shoot the rocket, it shows you shooting on your screen, but since you switched before the rocket actually spawns on the host it might be a synchronization issue where it can't agree that you shot a rocket since you now have an assault rifle/pistol out. Just a theory on that but my guess would be that the actual ping to the server and syncing physics affecting projectiles is part of the issue. 

Also check out this portal issue. I haven't had any people telefrag me by the screen not turning white but I did have someone port while I was in the portal. 

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/baa8bb61-1aac-4155-9846-caade901cd0f?gamerTag=chumpp&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

Also this one...

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/0970456f-0938-4179-bb6f-753e39fc6d8b?gamerTag=chumpp&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

I just noticed that in the carnage report the longest spree statistic does not read anything.

Here's a weird one from Reddit.

http://xboxdvr.com/nV%20Jrod/762048b9-e4cf-48c3-8bbc-3a4c25619793

He says he was holding forward, but he had backward momentum when he fell off the ledge. Either his player was facing backwards until the phantom camera caught up with him, or the moving camera clipped the lip of the ledge. Until now, I assumed the player spawns correctly and the camera spawns behind the player, but now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

So whats with the stupid system on these forums with attachments. How do you add something to post, theres no attachment button.

So there's been a lot of posts in here about shooting being too easy. So I decided to test it myself. I put the pistol reticle almost halfway over a buddies head, red reticle, and the bullets were not hitting. They were going straight through the middle of the reticle, no auto aim pulling the bullet at all. Same with sniper rifle.

Perhaps opponent strafing increases auto aim but I sincerely doubt it, so for now I'm going to call offhost "easy shooting" complete bs unless someone can show me otherwise.

The reticle magnetism may be increased, I haven't compared to og xbox, but the auto aim is not from what I can tell.

Oh, and I think framerate may have something to do with easier shooting. But to me that increases skill gap as it reduces randomness from frame jutter. It may be easier to tsk now but the best pros are still going to tsk you way more consistently.

If i had to make an educated guess, the bullet projectile speed looks to be cut in half on pistol and sniper; maybe even faster. So what that leads to is more of a hitscan feel without it really being hitscan. The did not touch hitbox size for sure, it just makes it harder to strafe when bullets are coming faster, Honestly its the only way they could make it work on xbl so people with 200 ping can feel like host. Take the game for what it is a fun way to play h1 but they could never make it true to the experience. The top 50 players from old days will still destroy everyone, its at the top level when shooting does get easier that it becomes apparent. 

We should measure bullet speed compared to og split screen and see if your theory is correct because it very well could be the reason why it feels easier.

I know it's still projectile though, lots of new players who are used to halo 2 complain about the "slowness" of the bullets.

I would like to see someone test that as well have side by side with xbox vids strafing shots cross hang em high. 

To see bullet speed difference as well as if magnetism was bufffed, auto aim was def not touched or hit boxs.

I think it would be cool to see wall to wall if bulllets do arrive faster or same time on mcc compared to xbox.

If someone shows it with a vid that both looked to be untouched I would be puzzled then.

He says he was holding forward, but he had backward momentum when he fell off the ledge. Either his player was facing backwards until the phantom camera caught up with him, or the moving camera clipped the lip of the ledge. Until now, I assumed the player spawns correctly and the camera spawns behind the player, but now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

I have a similar clip that demonstrates the weird spawn teleportation: http://xboxdvr.com/King%20I3ob/d87db2f3-5d54-4743-a4fa-609aaf874a3e 

I've had this happen a few times to me as well, but as previously discussed I also figured it was just the camera zooming in to the body. Doesn't seem to be the case...

Does anyone have ideas?

I was in that game. I don't know what to think of that one. The games on that host were really kind of laggy. All of these issues that come from lag should really not be as worrisome as if it was happening on host. I have never seen a spawn point that doesn't exist on host. I understand the need to make them eventually fixed, but this game was never meant to be played online. There are a lot of syncing issues that are going to come up.

Check out this one from a later game. This is jared's perspective and I am the one getting meleed as he falls. I shot him once, double meleed him, and on my screen he backed off the ledge in a panic and I somehow died as he was meleeing as he fell. 

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/f0579902-73ec-4cba-abcc-6ea0f34a181c?gamerTag=nV%20Jrod&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

If i had to make an educated guess, the bullet projectile speed looks to be cut in half on pistol and sniper; maybe even faster. So what that leads to is more of a hitscan feel without it really being hitscan. The did not touch hitbox size for sure, it just makes it harder to strafe when bullets are coming faster, Honestly its the only way they could make it work on xbl so people with 200 ping can feel like host. Take the game for what it is a fun way to play h1 but they could never make it true to the experience. The top 50 players from old days will still destroy everyone, its at the top level when shooting does get easier that it becomes apparent. 

There is an easy way to determine if they sped up the bullets and I don't think they did. The maps all have the bullet data built in. You can mod a map so that the pistol shoots bullets at a faster velocity and that will propagate to all players only if it is the host map. If you are just doing it on your own and then join, it doesn't affect anyone else's. On halo pc you could make it so your pistol bullet was 10x faster than a sniper bullet and it would look like that on your screen but the server ignores that when you are shooting. Only the host map's values matter. So if you say your assault rifle is shooting rockets on your screen you would see things flying around and physics events happening but the server would correct them and just do the regular assault rifle damage. Same with the pistol. So unless they updated all the halo1 maps with new values then they can't have changed the pistol/sniper bullet speed. Play on host on mcc and then play on host on original xbox and compare. Unless there is a stark difference they haven't changed anything. 

I have tested hit boxes and they are the same as they have always been. I can shoot right past the guys head unlike in h2 where the reticle being red means its a headshot. 

I do think that the 60 fps is helping since the gameplay is much smoother. I remember going from 60 to 120 on tf2 after upgrading my monitor and it was so much easier to hit airshots with pipes and rockets. Same type of thing here from 30 to 60 where your aim is much more fluid. 60 fps also means 2x the calculations being done for anything going on client side so there are more frames to calculate aim assist and magnetism which can also help. 

So, apparently they just improved hit detection even further. Has anyone noticed anything different about it yet?

I agree with chumps sentiments.

Also, I'm really hoping the "improvements to hit registration" actually means they fixed anti aim. Because the hit registration doesn't seem like it'll can get any better.

I think it certainly is a bug, and yes a lot of it could probably be attributed to my high ping. (I'm guessing 150 ms east coast, 200ms west coast). The game wasn't very laggy for me though.

Yes Norway is correct (you remembered!!), I wonder how "bad" it is for those playing against me, because I'm not having a hard time killing on US host, perhaps I have an advantage?

I still think it's hilarious that I spawn with the flag in my hands, talk about no effort.  :lol:

I played on your host and it was noticeably delayed on some items like grenades/rockets but not terrible. Still better than xbconnect by far and the pistol registration was alright, too. The high ping does seem to cause more wtf moments. You have played on mine and seemed to do fine so it is nice that we can play together. I wish we could find more people who are ok with playing my "crazy" gametypes that you enjoyed. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played on your host and it was noticeably delayed on some items like grenades/rockets but not terrible. Still better than xbconnect by far and the pistol registration was alright, too. The high ping does seem to cause more wtf moments. You have played on mine and seemed to do fine so it is nice that we can play together. I wish we could find more people who are ok with playing my "crazy" gametypes that you enjoyed. 

I had a ton of fun playing, man. Here's the thing, I've been playing on Gamespy then XBC for a long time, as well as LANs, you get tired of the same maps and same game types after 10 + years, it's always fun to play something different. ;-)

I had a ton of fun playing, man. Here's the thing, I've been playing on Gamespy then XBC for a long time, as well as LANs, you get tired of the same maps and same game types after 10 + years, it's always fun to play something different. ;-)

Same...I just don't get why people don't want to try new things. Someone always bitching it isn't just plain slayer.

I just want to tell them...

You can still play slayer but now you actually have to shoot a specific person. Sorry you have to adapt to the game or at least just play a game for the fun of playing. It isn't like you won't be able to play 2v2 slayer ever again.

I think they changed the Netcode to make the shooting more like was on Xbox because it definitely wasn't as easy as it was to 3 shot people prior to the last patch especially long rang pistol fights.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1