Sign in to follow this  
RHG ACID

H2 Classics Competitive Future

I think it's important for people to realize that there is no competitive future for Halo 2 Anniversary beyond this window between now and H5. Halo 2 Classic however can most certainly be played even alongside future Halo installments. With that being said, I feel the community and tournament organizers alike should understand that Halo 2 CLASSIC tournaments are a better investment toward the future. When H5 comes out there's no reason to play H2A, but people will still be playing classic H2. If H5 fails to solve the long pending issues of recent halo games a community of H2 Classic players and tournaments can already be established. If H5 turns out to be amazing and be the long awaited return of Halo's glory, Halo 2 Classic will still remain competitively and casually viable.

I understand that 343 is finally investing in the competitive future of their game and is beggining to understand it's value. The Halo championship series is a great idea and everyone loves guaranteed tournaments. I personally feel that H2A is the wrong game for the HCS because it's not an accurate remake and doesnt have a fraction of the depth classic has. What I don't want is for everyone to just rely on 343 to keep Halo tournaments alive. Now that we have the greatest Halo's assembled in one place we have a unique opportunity that other gamers wish they had to bring the Classics back. For those that want Halo 1, 2 or 3 tournaments we can make that happen now. Don't just ride the wave of what's new for the sake of newness and don't rely on any one organization to carry our future competitively or as a community.Just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible for old school Halo to make a return to the tournament scene and that H2 Anniversary is only for a season but the Classics with never die.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think it's important for people to realize that there is no competitive future for Halo 2 Anniversary beyond this window between now and H5. 

Why do you think this? I haven't played much of H2A but I think it has potential to have a lasting competitive background. Once some forgers get to working we'll have a much wider variety of maps, and that will add to the longevity of the game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why would h2c be picked up by anyone when Microsoft has already picked up H2A... the people who made the console are hosting tournaments for the game, I think it has a pretty bright future if I can say so myself. I think a lot of your post is just off of pure emotion seeing as how the game is pretty broken right now, but the game is good when it works and we saw some great numbers for the game at the launch tournament. This is a good game and has a future, you clearly liked halo 2 and that's great, but I promise you this game has more of a future than that game does in terms of success in tournaments go.  

All H2A really needs at this point is a bigger map pool to ad variety and we are all going to be okay. 

Of course H2 would be more competitive than H2A for the HCS but 343 isn't going to push a game they didn't make. They will never push H2 over H5 and it is 343 cooperating with event organizers-- they aren't choosing the game, 343 is.

I suppose a non-affiliated tournament organizer could host a H2 classic tournament, but from their perspective it would be much more profitable to be apart of the HCS and host the main competitive game (which will be H2A and H5 as a result of 343's dev support).

With that being said though, I think H2A will be just fine. Until H5, that is--then H2A will be out and H5 will be in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do you think this? I haven't played much of H2A but I think it has potential to have a lasting competitive background. Once some forgers get to working we'll have a much wider variety of maps, and that will add to the longevity of the game. 

Forge never adds to the competitive longevity of a game. If anything the need for forge maps will kneecap H2A's longevity.

• Downvote (-1) 8

How do people feel about 343 not supporting earlier games? It makes perfect sense since they aren't their games, and it's not a great comparison, but look at nintendo and Smash... They eventually supported Melee after the community decided it was better for them instead of brawl. Does it look bad if 343 supports Halo 2 classic? That's debatable, I think it doesn't look good for them AS a game developer but I think it looks humbling from 343/M$ to support a better competitive title.

For now though I understand their decision to push H2A

It doesn't have a competitive future outside of amateur online or LAN tournaments organized by fans

You always have to go with the most modern option as a professional gaming association, but that isn't to say that older games can't survive (see SSBM)

H2A is pretty damn awesome so I'm certainly not complaining

• Upvote (+1) 2

Forge never adds to the competitive longevity of a game. If anything the need for forge maps will kneecap H2A's longevity.

How could forge not add "competitive longevity"? You have a theoretically infine map pool of maps you can make. It's not a stretch that you can make better forge maps than disk maps.

Having to rely on forge maps is a downside, but only because people are lazy and dont want to learn no maps. I'd rather play all forge maps than be stuck playing sub par gametypes like Lockout TS just  because its a disk map and the gametypes need to be filled.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Forge should be a last resort option, a game as close to ''out of the box'' as possible with minimal tweaks fosters a broader competitive audience

Never is a strong word. I think forge adds to the game, but can also take away. It s a fine line. 

Look at h3- i would say the height for competitive halo. Amp TS and Onslaught CTF were staple game-types on the circuit.  NEW maps that were created. 

Forge goes wrong when we keep making remakes. I love em but hate em. They get old after while and with a "bland" forge pallet like reach, they Suck! 

What I don't want is for everyone to just rely on 343 to keep Halo tournaments alive. Now that we have the greatest Halo's assembled in one place we have a unique opportunity that other gamers wish they had to bring the Classics back. For those that want Halo 1, 2 or 3 tournaments we can make that happen now. Don't just ride the wave of what's new for the sake of newness and don't rely on any one organization to carry our future competitively or as a community.

I wouldn't say H2A has no competitive future or that Classic is the guaranteed way to go, but the community seriously needs to sustain itself outside of major organizations and circuit. Halo needs to foster a grassroots community, and by doing so, that'll allow Halo 2 Classic to be played competitively at large and small events. I wouldn't be surprised if non-HCS events run Classic (even if they also run H2A) and I don't think it's out of the ballpark to say that some HCS events may run both H2A and H2C, even if only one of them actually counts toward HCS.

We need more people stepping up as event organizers. If you want to see Halo 2 Classic, work towards running a tournament. Get a group together locally with friends/other players to help start running local events for Classic if you like it that much better.

No game will inherently live longer or shorter by its own accord. It's up the community to decide how they want a particular game to be treated. Do you want to see a large H2C scene? Run grassroots events. That's the solution. It's as simple as that. H2C and H2A can easily thrive, hell I could see competitive CE, H2A, H2C, and H3 scenes all thriving simultaneously without issue. 

Grassroots events are the solution.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's important for people to realize that there is no competitive future for Halo 2 Anniversary beyond this window between now and H5. 

Duh - because people are going to be moving straight to Halo 5: Guardians once that is out because that will be the only game 343 will be supporting with HCS. 

Once your tournament becomes an official HCS one, it gets full dev support. Video packages, equipment, etc. The sad fact is, people go were the money is - not what game it is. That's why so many players stuck with Ghosts even though it was the worst Call of Duty released by far - there was money. 

People could stick with Halo 2 Classic, but is there going to be any money there? Probably not. The huge organizers like Iron Gaming and UMG (and whoever else decides to jump in) are all going to be running H2A and Halo 5: Guardians. That's just how it is nowadays.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The reason people still play melee over brawl and smash 4 is because it is simply a better game. Plain and simple. Halo 2 and halo 1 are miles and miles ahead of every other halo game. In terms of skill cap, halo 2 doesn't have one. Final boss won almost every event during a season in halo 2. That has NEVER even came close to happening in any halo since. In fact, you could predict top 16 in halo 2 pretty consistently due to the immense skill gap amongst the players. In halo 3, reach, and 4 you couldn't even predict top 8. It was literally a toss up, everyone was the same.

Anniversary is basically a washed up cross over of reach and halo 4 on remastered halo 2 maps. If it didn't have fancy new graphics and dedicated servers, nobody would be playing it.

I still don't understand the hype around H2A, I've played a decent amount of it the past week and it pales in comparison to H2C in my opinion. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's important for people to realize that there is no competitive future for Halo 2 Anniversary beyond this window between now and H5. Halo 2 Classic however can most certainly be played even alongside future Halo installments. With that being said, I feel the community and tournament organizers alike should understand that Halo 2 CLASSIC tournaments are a better investment toward the future. When H5 comes out there's no reason to play H2A, but people will still be playing classic H2. If H5 fails to solve the long pending issues of recent halo games a community of H2 Classic players and tournaments can already be established. If H5 turns out to be amazing and be the long awaited return of Halo's glory, Halo 2 Classic will still remain competitively and casually viable.

I understand that 343 is finally investing in the competitive future of their game and is beggining to understand it's value. The Halo championship series is a great idea and everyone loves guaranteed tournaments. I personally feel that H2A is the wrong game for the HCS because it's not an accurate remake and doesnt have a fraction of the depth classic has. What I don't want is for everyone to just rely on 343 to keep Halo tournaments alive. Now that we have the greatest Halo's assembled in one place we have a unique opportunity that other gamers wish they had to bring the Classics back. For those that want Halo 1, 2 or 3 tournaments we can make that happen now. Don't just ride the wave of what's new for the sake of newness and don't rely on any one organization to carry our future competitively or as a community.Just wanted to let everyone know that it is possible for old school Halo to make a return to the tournament scene and that H2 Anniversary is only for a season but the Classics with never die.

We will host tournaments. But first we need Matchmaking to work lol

I still don't understand the hype around H2A, I've played a decent amount of it the past week and it pales in comparison to H2C in my opinion. 

It's newer. That's really all that matters. I don't see how you don't enjoy it, but it's new. 

Hey guys - I think we can all agree that Halo 2 Classic is the pinnacle of 4v4 Halo. However, 343 is doing what any other business would do - pushing their new product - which in this case is H2A. This H2A vs H2C debate has been ongoing for a while now, but I don't think it needs another thread. 

Let's just keep everything the MCC and HCS threads.

<3 

• Upvote (+1) 2