Sign in to follow this  
careh

H5 Spectator Mode

With the recent confirmation of spectator along with the pre-launch preview match I think it's safe to say that Halo 5s spectator mode at present is bare bones. With that in mind, what do you want from a spectator mode outside of the basic functionality? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Gi2F3tD0E

aPK's video captures for me the most important features to bring to a Halo spectator mode:

1. X-ray with toggle - the CS community has found over time that having x-ray is great, however the best spectator experience to achieved with the ability to build suspense by taking that knowledge away at the right moments.
  2. Key weapon / item timers - promoting one of the core aspects of Halo. The sooner everyone in the game grasps that item control is one of the most important parts the better it will be for all of us.

A non-essential feature that I'd like to see would be the inclusion of team logos. With the added structure HCS brings to tournaments I feel it's worth spending resources to allow the top teams brand recognition when they're playing at the biggest tournaments. Starcraft and DOTA are great examples of this being done tastefully:

2sbsl50.jpg

239ppg.jpg

Forgive my poor pixlr skillz :{

What else would you like to see added?

• Upvote (+1) 6

With the recent confirmation of spectator along with the pre-launch preview match I think it's safe to say that Halo 5s spectator mode at present is bare bones. With that in mind, what do you want from a spectator mode outside of the basic functionality? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Gi2F3tD0E

aPK's video captures for me the most important features to bring to a Halo spectator mode:

1. X-ray with toggle - the CS community has found over time that having x-ray is great, however the best spectator experience to achieved with the ability to build suspense by taking that knowledge away at the right moments.
  2. Key weapon / item timers - promoting one of the core aspects of Halo. The sooner everyone in the game grasps that item control is one of the most important parts the better it will be for all of us.

A non-essential feature that I'd like to see would be the inclusion of team logos. With the added structure HCS brings to tournaments I feel it's worth spending resources to allow the top teams brand recognition when they're playing at the biggest tournaments. Starcraft and DOTA are great examples of this being done tastefully:

2sbsl50.jpg

239ppg.jpg

A minimap like the CODCASTER would be nice. Also possibly info like CS. like both teams at each side, each describing each players shields and what weapons he/her are carrying etc

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think bo2 had a pretty good spectator mode, plus with weapon and powerup timers and some x-ray kind of stuff like Ghosts, I think spectator mode has potential to be fantastic, as long as it doesn't have a very inaccurate delay like halo 4s killcams. 

I'd like to see a camera in one of the corners, so if the kinect is hooked up it'll show the player. One thing I always really liked was being able to see the player while he played

I'd like to see as little lag as possible. If they can get down spectator mode and have little lag when viewing people in first person, then there is no reason you shouldn't be given access to other players POV's in theater. That's what I really want. 

CS GO spec mode is amazing. Would really love to see that. 

One nice feature - when you're in freecam mode, little laser beams coming out of each player's gun show where everyone is looking. (especially sick for snipers lining up crazy shots)

To me, one of the most important features is an instant toggle to the character you want to see in 4v4s.

For example,

Left Bumper + Up = Player 1, Blue Team

Left Bumper + Left = Player 2, Blue Team

Left Bumper + Right = Player 3, Blue Team

Left Bumper + Down = Player 4, Blue Team.

Rinse, Repeat for Right Bumper / Red Team.

It annoys me to no end to see CoD casters have to navigate a menu to change to the player they want.

Definitely this. 

-----

Oracle Mode (seeing players through walls)

Ghost Cam (go through walls)

Powerup and power weapon timers on screen (possibly toggle-able) 

Turn off hud elements on a button press

I also kind of want player names to split to each side of the screen, like the CS:GO spectator mode. Might be clutter to some people, so it would be toggle-able with a button press.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2sbsl50.jpg

239ppg.jpg

A feature like this would be cool, if paired with a paint tool, or a tool like COD's avatar maker or Backbreaker's logo maker. 

Obviously we would want bigger then 256x256(from the paint tool, not sure what COD emblem thing is), but it would be neat for forge mode as well, having a decal system to put signs on walls and stuff like that. 

In addition to seeing Team Logos at the start, I would like something similar to DOTA 2, CSGO and even what Starcraft 2 has achieved through the Gameheart mod:

-Team Logo, Player Names and Sponsor Logos in the teams base (don't know how hard it would be to make these only visible for spectators to not distract players).

-Tournament/Tournament Sponsor Logo on the Map

-CSGO style "wallhack" to see other players through walls + Grenade lines. CSGO style player info (weapons + shields + grenade count) would also be sick.

-Minimap

-Team Logos on Spartans

-Flying Camera + 3rd Person view

-Autoswitch like CSGO (forgot what it's called)

Most of that is probably asking for too much, so I guess I'll be fine if it actually works without being laggy as fuck.

I think having a minimap is the most important thing for me. Matches become a lot more continuous when you can tell a story with the minimap. Otherwise you're just watching random POVs run around fighting. Being able to see map progress being made through kills/pushes would be great for the spectator experience!

i think if 343 really works hard at it, they can have one of the most killer spectator modes ever. With the halo channel being added in, watching tournaments from your computer could be super bad ass. Everything mentioned so far could be implemented, but without cluttering the screen. So we could get the entire players POV and all the little info and specs and timers would be offscreen to the side or below or whatever. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So the spectator mode in H5 beta announcement says that we will be able to try it out? I've only ever followed Halo so I've never actually seen what a spectator mode does, but I thought it was just something for castors to use at events?

So the spectator mode in H5 beta announcement says that we will be able to try it out? I've only ever followed Halo so I've never actually seen what a spectator mode does, but I thought it was just something for castors to use at events?

it is a tool used for casters, but its a really good tool for even watching pros play, or even friends. It just makes the viewing experience a whole lot better and easier all around. It's great for casters and tournaments though because you wouldn't need to set up 8 capture cards and software to watch a halo tourney. With spectator modes, the casters can easily flip through players and talk about whats happening as they please. It's a really important tool for live tournaments that halo doesn't have and needs.

It's good for general use too. If you play a lot of 2v2 / 1v1 customs there's usually an odd man out who can now watch the game and get some enjoyment. Similarly in games where the spec mode is global on all matchmaking games you can jump in and watch while waiting for your buddy to finish his game.

Not sure if possible or such a good idea, but maybe listen ins so we can listen to communication?

I don't think I've seen this in an FPS spectator mode yet. Would be awesome with the correct implementation (ability to turn it off from the player side for instance).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have no idea what I can share but from what I do know this isn't just some paltry side show experiment.

Lots of care and attention to detail are going into this.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm trying to get Quinn/343 to add an esports announcer voice pack to the game (should be free imo) because why the hell not?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Coach mode to make the Halo coaches seem important

Or we could get rid of coaches entirely and make the players remember when stuff spawns.

But that's none of my business.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Or we could get rid of coaches entirely and make the players remember when stuff spawns.

But that's none of my business.

With you on this one, but Walshy definitely allowed Str8 to perform as well as they did at the pre-launch HaloFest tournament, and I'm sure little had to do with power weapon timers. I think great coaches go above and beyond power weapons.

As for the spectator mode features, for the most part, all the features I'd want to see have been said. Definitely in support of the inclusion of a minimap with moving dots / arrows on it. It seems like 343 were able to get a top-down render of all the maps for MCC (seen at loading screens) so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Or better coaches do the stuff real coaches in other esports do, preparing strats, organising the team, being a manager, learn basic psychology methods.

Like Boss Nasti but not being a total douche/awful/