Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Halo: Combat Evolved was released 13 years ago today

Probably my favorite memory of h1 was when my older stepbrother brought all of his friends over to lan and I kicked all of their asses.

The same day I got grounded for the first time for cursing at halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Trying to find that Halo 1 tricking and glitches video that had the Hell Song playing.

*Edit*

Found this instead:

First time playing Halo: CE was soon after it came out at a buddies house who had an older brother. Game looked amazing, but my friend was controller hogging since his brother was at work and would "beat him if he found out he was using his Xbox". When I got my turn to play it was while I was in a Warthog on Blood Gulch and that thing was SO freaking difficult to drive and it was the first time using the DUKE so I was totally confused at how difficult it felt. 30 seconds after I got my turn his Bro picked him up by the shirt and told us to get out.

I didn't get an Xbox of my own until 2003/early 04 and I played the campaign 5 times through, local multiplayer scene was nonexistant by me sadly.

I had originally played CE once against my friend and we had 4 player split screen going.  When I was younger I was the biggest sore loser.  I got my ass kicked and just wasn't a huge fan of FPS back then.  So, unfortunately because of me being a sore loser, I never got to experience Halo 1 & Halo 2.  I finally got into Halo during 3, and even then, wasn't a huge fan of it as I was way more into Gears of War and TPS.  After I figured out the ranking system in that game though, it was my mission to just get to 45 and get to Brigadier.

...and I rambled way more than I should have not pertaining to Combat Evolved. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played it during middle school on an old Windows XP PC for a couple years. Still own the copy.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I never once knew I was playing one of the greatest and critically acclaimed video games ever created till high school.

First time I played Halo or any console shooter was at my aunt's house on my cousin's xbox. I attempted to play the second campaign level (Halo) with my dad and let's just say it wasn't pretty. I had no idea how to move or shoot, let alone do those at the same time. I'm pretty sure I fell off the bridge (the one near where you crash land) multiple times. We also played some games on blood gulch which I also did poorly on. Despite all of this, I still had a blast and started begging my parents to let me get the game. Somehow my father managed to convince my mother (who was very against the idea since she thought Halo was too violent for my 7th grade self) to get me the game. I've been in love ever since. 

I introduced my friends to it and they are also still huge fans of the game. I remember my best friend and neighbor at the time playing co-op with me and "accidentally" assassinating me (you can assassinate teammates in H1) multiple times. He claimed the Xbox controller was too sensitive (he was a PS2 guy at the time).....

I still own that original copy and Halo and I got it signed by Walshy back in 2011 at the Columbus MLG event. I remember following Walshy around like a lost puppy at that event and watching him fight his way through the AM bracket. 

13 years ago today my life changed, when my friend told me he got the new Xbox and a game. Here I am 13 years later still playing this game. Little did I know about a year later losing 50-4 to a little girl would ultimately lead to a series of events that would bring me here to post this today. I got to experience the rise and the fall, traveled through it all and most importantly made some great friends along the way. Thank you Halo, here is to another 13 years!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Best memory was finally finishing The Maw on Co-Op with my stepbrother.

I have no idea how I was able to sit through all those Blood Gulch 1v1s that always became me being pelted by the Scorpion Tank.

I think I might go play some H:CE now. That game is amazing.

The GOAT. It was the reason I got an xbox after owning a PS2 for a while. My friend from H.S invited me to his crib and showed me the game, it blew my little mind...I bought an xbox a few weeks after and never looked back. Let's forget the incredible multi for a min...my first really dope moment of CE was after the pelican crashed on halo and the level started and I looked around and walked around that big open space.....AMAZING.

My fav. game of all time

• Upvote (+1) 2

First time achieving the Assault on the Control Room "skip". I spent the next hour or two appreciating how huge the playable areas were.

First time achieving the Assault on the Control Room "skip". I spent the next hour or two appreciating how huge the playable areas were.

I just did that this morning and damn it was satisfying.

I remember trying that for hours way back in the day before finally getting it.  Assault on the Control Room is probably the GOAT single player level.  Over the years I'd bust out the xbox out just to play that level, even during times I didn't game that much.

the nostalgia is killing me.  to this day I love the song freestyler solely due to this video.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The GOAT. It was the reason I got an xbox after owning a PS2 for a while. My friend from H.S invited me to his crib and showed me the game, it blew my little mind...I bought an xbox a few weeks after and never looked back. Let's forget the incredible multi for a min...my first really dope moment of CE was after the pelican crashed on halo and the level started and I looked around and walked around that big open space.....AMAZING.

My fav. game of all time

To this day I get goosebumps everytime I step out of this escape capsule (think it's called bumblebee or something like this) and look into the sky to see the other side of the Halo.

This video perfecty sums up the game for me. Amazed by the awesome maps and loving all the fun stuff you could do just by yourself or with a friend. Launching out of maps, putting vehicles in the base on blood gulch, nade jumps, warthog wars... All of it was just the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVpXtSxw9kk

• Upvote (+1) 2

Tried the skip trick on AOTCR for an hour just now. I give up

It's comical how exact you have to be with that trick. Good luck ever pulling it off with the Anniversary graphics.

It's comical how exact you have to be with that trick. Good luck ever pulling it off with the Anniversary graphics.

I just did it!

frnXxyM.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't pull off anything with the anni graphics lol.  just leave it on the OG graphics

Played the game for the first time in 2003, the only console I'd had up to that point was a Gamecube with SSBM. I played it at a game night against my math teacher, my brother and some other kid. My teacher was the only one who'd played the game before, and he won with 25 kills, but I got 24. I was hooked. Bugged my dad every day for two weeks until he bought me an Xbox.

I remember trying that for hours way back in the day before finally getting it.  Assault on the Control Room is probably the GOAT single player level.  Over the years I'd bust out the xbox out just to play that level, even during times I didn't game that much.

If you look up 'best game missions of all time' lists, Assault on the control room makes it into pretty much every list.

• Upvote (+1) 1