BrutallyDigital

Do we Need Sprint in Halo 5?

Do we Need Sprint in Halo 5?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Do we Need Sprint in Halo 5?

• Yes
    • No
    • Waiting to play the Beta

If you want to disregard basic physics then I guess it could work, I mean, it is a video game after all.

I just don't see how being able to shoot while your sprint is going to help, you could accomplish this with faster movement speed.

Very true, but unfortunately, I doubt Sprint is going away, no matter how much we protest. I feel that something akin to my post would be the best compromise (though we shouldn't need to compromise at all).

Very true, but unfortunately, I doubt Sprint is going away, no matter how much we protest. I feel that something akin to my post would be the best compromise (though we shouldn't need to compromise at all).

I don't mind sprint, it's great in CoD and Destiny, I just don't think it belongs in Halo.

No, i hope that if we all vote no and the community just absolutely is against it then they will turn back because they still have time to change it. They made h1 multiplayer in under a month i think. How hard could it be to just keep it the way true fans want it? H4 had over 1.2m preorders, not because the game had sprint and spartan abilities but bc the franchise of Halo had made a major name for itself in being a great game by then. :(

Do we need sprint in Halo 5? Actually we might for it to balanced. 

Since Quinn wants to defend it like it was his three to four year old child... It isn't going anywhere... So, as bad as it is, the only thing we have is compromise right now.

Unless developers all of the sudden decide to listen to us.

If 5 flops like 4 in terms of population, you think that'll be enough?

I voted no but I don't care anymore. I will not be buying Halo 5 because of the debacle of MCC. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Since Quinn wants to defend it like it was his three to four year old child... It isn't going anywhere... So, as bad as it is, the only thing we have is compromise right now.

Unless developers all of the sudden decide to listen to us.

Except I haven't heard a valid argument from 343 supporting sprint yet. Probably because there isn't one. The real reason is because they want to sell as many copies at launch as possible and attract the younger/CoD crowd, but they would NEVER say that. If you think otherwise you are naive and in serious denial. I really wish someone would just be blunt and ask them face-to-face, and then proceed to rip apart their argument.

Except I haven't heard a valid argument from 343 supporting sprint yet. Probably because there isn't one. The real reason is because they want to sell as many copies at launch as possible and attract the younger/CoD crowd, but they would NEVER say that. If you think otherwise you are naive and in serious denial. I really wish someone would just be blunt and ask them face-to-face, and then proceed to rip apart their argument.

Thing is I never supported Sprint, Quinn's just the type who acts stubborn against anyone that thinks differently than him.

He's the reason we might have Sprint again...

Let's guess the sarcastic response Bonnie Ross will provide us.

"Leak's are always fun!" except when you are at the end of someone's payroll, and confirm the worst. God damn.

While I understand not wanting sprint. Because it makes not having map awareness much more brutal in the old games......I actually enjoy having sprint. While I didn't like Reach for the most part....sprinting in it was kinda nice once I got over the standard rage (honestly mainly grew to like the "feeling" it produced)....when I play the MCC now I find myself really missing sprint. That's what great about this gens Halo offerings. They've got all the oldschool halos for people to play. A fabulous package. They catered wonderfully to the "nostalgic Halo players" as I like to call them. (yes I know MCC is broken...but once they get it dandied up it's an absolutely fabulous offering.) Then they've got what looks to be a great "new" offering with Halo 5.

With sprint.... I could go either way. Game looks pretty cool and fresh with sprint.....think it'd still be fine without sprint, but it's also fine with it. Honestly, not a HUGE deal breaker. And what they're doing with tying it to shields seems like a great balance. Does sprint change the game dynamics a bit? Yes. Does it break competitive Halo? No. Not a deal breaker for me.

Verdicts still out on the SAs. I'm a little apprehensive about them....but at the same time...withholding my final judgement till I play and have some time to get good/understand the mechanics. The fact that you don't choose one as an armor abilitiy/loadout...and the fact that everyone can use them.....makes me think they'll probably be alright. It'll just take a bit of time to get used to and get good with. (which might actually INCREASE the skill gap.) Everyone will RAGE like crazy though no matter what at first as always. (might as well not even come to the forums for a few months then....cause they'll be full of children throwing temper tantrums.)

People can argue about their preferences in circles all day. And that's what "sprint vs no sprint" always is. And SAs vs no SAs. No one will ever agree on these things.

Ultimately, I'm liking what 343 is doing though because they're bypassing all this lame-ass bickering. They're focusing on making a skill based, multiple shot/precision shot based, competitive arena shooter with equal starts. They're just all around catering to the eSports scene. They've hired a bunch of pros. Their rallying completely around the competitive, eSports scene. Supporting events. Partnering. Etc., Etc. Which is just absolutely a win/win and very exciting.....that's undeniable. If you're not happy/excited about that simple fact then you're just a critic, a cynic, and an obsessive nostalgic.....or just don't play Halo as an eSport. (which is fine.)

I love competitive arena Halo.....and as long as it still remains competitive, has equal starts, no loadouts, shooting skill (descoping plays into that a lot), and takes multiple precision shots to get kills and caters to "eSports." I'm totally in. Halo 5 doesn't have to be Halo 2. Or Halo 3. Or Halo CE. To a T.
Even though I have a HUGE amount of nostalgia for those and the competitive scene in those. BUT EVEN SO.....they catered to that as well with the MCC.

It's simply a great time to be a competitive Halo fan. If you don't see that then you're blind.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 7

The real reason is because they want to sell as many copies at launch as possible and attract the younger/CoD crowd, but they would NEVER say that.

Adding sprint won't even help with sales though. Halo 4's population is a good reflection of how many people like sprint. They just have to make trailers with explosions and shit and kids will buy it.

If 5 flops like 4 in terms of population, you think that'll be enough?

I don't think it'll flop like 4. Ranks, spectator, and just a better game will keep the population up. Also, the randomness of Halo 4 was more of a deal-breaker than sprint, IMO (not saying sprint wasn't an issue - just that ordnance & loadouts were bigger ones).

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree with this. So because you don't know what your enemy's next move will be, its random? I don't know if blue team will rush for rockets so the game's random? Bloom is an example of randomness, not player decision.

@Bold: Good job insulting my intelligence.

I am going to copy and paste what I said to Zanno

Thanks for enlightening me, I'm not an idiot. Even if unpredictability =/= randomness, does that mean it's competitively warranted? This reminds me so much of the "forge kids" logic about having the more routes on a map the better (Countdown and its Tri-lift is a good disc map example). It's unpredictable because you don't immediately know which freaking path he'll choose if there is more than one path that accomplishes the same thing. And like with sprint, you don't know when someone you can't see is going to sprint, when they're exhausted, etc. Basically, you have to predict movement with two movement speeds that switch back and fourth on command. It's best to keep mechanics simple (at a balance, moreso). That's what got Halo so far since the beginning.

Pretend you are on the 3rd floor of Countdown. You have line of sight on Big Door (rocket spawn), and opposing team's flag. You see an opponent at big door and you fire shots at him and he retreats towards his flag. In the event he didn't know your location, he decides to push towards the other side of the map. Since you're aware of his movement speed, you can place a grenade at their flag at the proper timing to blow him up, which rewards your prediction. HOWEVER, at any time, he could be sprinting, which he would outpace your nade your nade (and you likely can't finish him off as your gun is down).

And yeah, I get it. The hurt player can simply stand still and bait your nade. That is reward on his part; and it is even more opportunistic when juggling a flag in a new line of sight. But the point is every player can abuse an amplified movement speed at anytime during the match that they're not exhausted, and that is an ability that WASN'T earned (it's not a speedboost powerup or anything). The ability to predict movement is negatively affected when your forced to predict two movement speeds, as I said in the above quote. That, IMO, is what they call "bullshit."

A guy pulling out a rocket launcher isn't bullshit; A guy pulling out sword isn't bullshit. They earned those by picking them up on the map, and they can easily be called out. It is completely different with a sprint ability everyone starts with.

I don't think it'll flop like 4. Ranks, spectator, and just a better game will keep the population up. Also, the randomness of Halo 4 was more of a deal-breaker than sprint, IMO (not saying sprint wasn't an issue - just that ordnance & loadouts were bigger ones).

Disagree, sprint is the single worst thing about the past 2 halos. Including sprint will destroy it's longevity once again. Pro's will still play it as long as it's supported, but the same thing will happen as did with H4. All the CoD kids that bought it will play it for a month or two, and then they will leave, and eventually the people that have been playing halo from before reach will give it up to. Then we will have a low population e-sports title that will also have low viewership. Great work 343, great work.

Ultimately, I'm liking what 343 is doing though because they're bypassing all this lame-ass bickering.

People criticizing sprint and mechanics that are not needed is not "lame-ass bickering".

• Upvote (+1) 1

While I understand not wanting sprint. Because it makes not having map awareness much more brutal in the old games......I actually enjoy having sprint. While I didn't like Reach for the most part....sprinting in it was kinda nice once I got over the standard rage (honestly mainly grew to like the "feeling" it produced)....when I play the MCC now I find myself really missing sprint. That's what great about this gens Halo offerings. They've got all the oldschool halos for people to play. A fabulous package. They catered wonderfully to the "nostalgic Halo players" as I like to call them. (yes I know MCC is broken...but once they get it dandied up it's an absolutely fabulous offering.) Then they've got what looks to be a great "new" offering with Halo 5.

With sprint.... I could go either way. Game looks pretty cool and fresh with sprint.....think it'd still be fine without sprint, but it's also fine with it. Honestly, not a HUGE deal breaker. And what they're doing with tying it to shields seems like a great balance. Does sprint change the game dynamics a bit? Yes. Does it break competitive Halo? No. Not a deal breaker for me.

Verdicts still out on the SAs. I'm a little apprehensive about them....but at the same time...withholding my final judgement till I play and have some time to get good/understand the mechanics. The fact that you don't choose one as an armor abilitiy/loadout...and the fact that everyone can use them.....makes me think they'll probably be alright. It'll just take a bit of time to get used to and get good with. (which might actually INCREASE the skill gap.) Everyone will RAGE like crazy though no matter what at first as always. (might as well not even come to the forums for a few months then....cause they'll be full of children throwing temper tantrums.)

People can argue about their preferences in circles all day. And that's what "sprint vs no sprint" always is. And SAs vs no SAs. No one will ever agree on these things.

Ultimately, I'm liking what 343 is doing though because they're bypassing all this lame-ass bickering. They're focusing on making a skill based, multiple shot/precision shot based, competitive arena shooter with equal starts. They're just all around catering to the eSports scene. They've hired a bunch of pros. Their rallying completely around the competitive, eSports scene. Supporting events. Partnering. Etc., Etc. Which is just absolutely a win/win and very exciting.....that's undeniable. If you're not happy/excited about that simple fact then you're just a critic, a cynic, and an obsessive nostalgic.....or just don't play Halo as an eSport. (which is fine.)

I love competitive arena Halo.....and as long as it still remains competitive, has equal starts, no loadouts, shooting skill (descoping plays into that a lot), and takes multiple precision shots to get kills and caters to "eSports." I'm totally in. Halo 5 doesn't have to be Halo 2. Or Halo 3. Or Halo CE. To a T.

Even though I have a HUGE amount of nostalgia for those and the competitive scene in those. BUT EVEN SO.....they catered to that as well with the MCC.

It's simply a great time to be a competitive Halo fan. If you don't see that then you're blind.

I'm not asking for any of those games to a T. Remove sprint and thruster, and throw as much dumb shit in as you like that doesn't hurt the core of the game.

If you're going to have "shoot while sprinting", you might as well set the base speed to sprint speed, and have a button that makes you move slower.  Would be more intuitive, as everyone's just going to hold down the sprint button 24/7 otherwise.

I fail to see the need for sprint in any game even remotely similar to Halo.  There are so many reasons why I've re-written and deleted them several times before settling on just posting this, because I don't know where to even begin, or how to write them in a way that isn't an eye sore to look at.

You can list off any problem that sprint solves, whether it be from map size to simple immersion, and I can think of equal or better alternatives.

H5's Midship is the size of a damn whale, and for what? To balance the fucking button that makes you go faster.

The couch I ordered is too big to fit in my living room, so I'm going to hire people to completely redo the living room itself just so the couch can fit.

You guys are all just ridiculous. I'm sorry but you haven't even played the game yet. The skill gap of this game looks like it has the potential to separate the best from the worst which is going to be a huge thing with the whole HCS upbringing and new people going to want to compete in the halo scene. Don't be so negative yet.

You guys are all just ridiculous. I'm sorry but you haven't even played the game yet. The skill gap of this game looks like it has the potential to separate the best from the worst which is going to be a huge thing with the whole HCS upbringing and new people going to want to compete in the halo scene. Don't be so negative yet.

Sprint is not halo period. Sprint destroys the halo sandbox which has been for the most part similar between halos 1-3. Reach and halo 4 changed this and have had hte lowest online populations. So its not just hardcore competitive players like us that hate this mechanic. When you add the ability to sprint it changes the entire halo sandbox, and the entire sandbox needs to be balanced around it. Even if 343i successfully balanced sprint in halo 5, myself and probably 99 percent of people on this forum would not like it. We do not want the changes to the sandbox that sprint provides.

Sprint is not halo period. Sprint destroys the halo sandbox which has been for the most part similar between halos 1-3. Reach and halo 4 changed this and have had hte lowest online populations. So its not just hardcore competitive players like us that hate this mechanic. When you add the ability to sprint it changes the entire halo sandbox, and the entire sandbox needs to be balanced around it. Even if 343i successfully balanced sprint in halo 5, myself and probably 99 percent of people on this forum would not like it. We do not want the changes to the sandbox that sprint provides.

So your telling me you wouldn't like a balanced game haha. I agree it's not the same. And I am a very competitive player. Have been competing since the beginning of h2c and never looked back. But here's the thing halo reach and 4 didn't only lose population because of sprint. The no rank system and ordinance and other occasions had a huge affect. If they balance out these abilities and create a skill gap the pros and many new players WILL support halo 5 and if you and whatever 99 percent don't want to support it then your going to leave and go play whatever you want to play. But I am telling you now if it works I cannot wait to see this HCS scene grow.

The sandbox is changing and they are adapting to arena sized maps for the style of game play they are incorporating. Which also lacked big time in halo 4 for example. We have to wait and see what they have in store. This isnt a pc game. It's a console game. Things are different now. I will riot when I have a need to and after the game is released.

@Bold: Good job insulting my intelligence.

Pretend you are on the 3rd floor of Countdown. You have line of sight on Big Door (rocket spawn), and opposing team's flag. You see an opponent at big door and you fire shots at him and he retreats towards his flag. In the event he didn't know your location, he decides to push towards the other side of the map. Since you're aware of his movement speed, you can place a grenade at their flag at the proper timing to blow him up, which rewards your prediction. HOWEVER, at any time, he could be sprinting, which he would outpace your nade your nade (and you likely can't finish him off as your gun is down).

And yeah, I get it. The hurt player can simply stand still and bait your nade. That is reward on his part; and it is even more opportunistic when juggling a flag in a new line of sight. But the point is every player can abuse an amplified movement speed at anytime during the match that they're not exhausted, and that is an ability that WASN'T earned (it's not a speedboost powerup or anything). The ability to predict movement is negatively affected when your forced to predict two movement speeds, as I said in the above quote. That, IMO, is what they call "bullshit."

That's complete nonsense

This game is not a rail shooter where you tag along mindlessly from point A to point B. He can stop anywhere between point A to point B and recover his shields there

There are infinite directions he could go and you can't account for a mere one extra variable?

Furthermore sprint in Reach was LOUD

You hear an audible beep when it starts and stops and I know for a fact you can hear the direction it's coming from through a headset and you can hear them breathing as they run along in addition to much louder footsteps

I have no idea about whether or not they kept that beep in H4

So what possible reason do you need to guess whether or not they are sprinting when you can KNOW with 100% possible certainty they are sprinting in competitive play where everyone has a headset?

This is quite simply, the second worst argument against sprint possible, the worst possible argument being "it's in COD". If you cannot convince me of it then you certainly can't convince 343. I'm still open to any alternative reasons outside of complaints of "prediction" nonsense, I've played plenty of games where there is no single predictable player speed and I still have the ability to anticipate player movements. It's still possible, it's just harder.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is quite simply, the second worst argument against sprint possible, the worst possible argument being "it's in COD". If you cannot convince me of it then you certainly can't convince 343. I'm still open to any alternative reasons outside of complaints of "prediction" nonsense, I've played plenty of games where there is no single predictable player speed and I still have the ability to anticipate player movements. It's still possible, it's just harder.

Indeed it's harder; that was the point. Yet the two people who responded to me thought I was bringing up an RNG type deal. Personally, I'm not making this argument as a game-breaking, "just fuck sprint" kind of argument. It is one of the more minor issues.

Perhaps I'm being anal about such a small deal because I've played 1v1's, 2v2's, and small FFAs on many diverse maps (and I'm sure you have too honestly, being the Zanno), and find myself playing a less chaotic game.  I find grenades to be very handy, and if I was good with it, I'd be able to lock down a LoS I expected my opponent to move to with the sniper (moreso on room-based maps). I could imagine any decent player doing the same. But hey, on maps built for Halo's normal base movement in mind, your opponent can zoom at 200mph across the LoS and ruin your timing. That's right, forget how you were aware of his positioning and went for the kill (nades or snipe, doesn't matter), he'll just fuck you over because you didn't predict him going faster than normal and hit with perfect timing.

Honestly, did that player predict you and counter, or did he just sprint to push elsewhere (you know, like many people do)? I could respect the ability to sprint if it wasn't such a cop-out of an ability (and I repeat, a powerup that EVERYBODY starts with). But no, It brings nothing competitive to the table; just running away like a wuss, running across Lines of Sight to dodge danger (vs walking/running), or repositioning yourself because you put yourself in a bad spot. It makes everything easier for you, and conversely, more frustrating fighting players with sprint. Sometimes, limitations are good.

I see your point about everyone having a headset, but that has much more to do with someone sprinting to your back (btw sprint makes flanking easier!) than it has to do with what I am talking about. I'll admit I don't have any high-quality headset, but it's not every time you're going to be in hearing proximity of the target opponent; This situation can certainly apply at long distances. I'll be damned if you can hear everyone sprinting on the map at all times, assuming 4v4. No one would be able to concentrate.

But yeah, this is nonsense. Here I am thinking Halo is a rail shooter. Sprint is skillful guys, so worth the trouble.

Edit: If I could convince you, I couldn't convince 343 either way. Many at 343 were hired to ruin the game we love to appeal to the masses.

• Upvote (+1) 1