BrutallyDigital

Do we Need Sprint in Halo 5?

Do we Need Sprint in Halo 5?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Do we Need Sprint in Halo 5?

• Yes
    • No
    • Waiting to play the Beta

How about a healthy dose of optimism? I think that since Halo 5 is so saturated with new features, the chances of sprint being removed (or removable) is vastly increased. Unlike with H4, they no longer need to rely on any single gameplay mechanic to achieve the "modern shooter" feel. Take out sprint, TP fills that gap. Remove TP, sprint fills that gap. If we want it out, we may have to appeal to 343's desire to make H5 accessible to the modern consumer.

Also, out of curiosity, how many of us would be satisfied with a single no-sprint, high default speed playlist? I'd be fucking overjoyed if that happened.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not gona lie, I would honestly rather see clamber taken out of Halo than sprint. I hate both and want them to die horrible deaths, but clamber will ruin my experience a lot more.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Agreed. But the efficacy of map design is also down to underlying mechanics. People have raised the issue of if HEH would work in any Halo game except CE. I don't think it would, because the weapon sandbox and mechanics such as nading weapons make the game work. I absolutely think there are maps that work without sprint that would break when sprint is introduced.

Absolutely there are maps in Halo that simply will not work with Sprint, however Halo has a history of poor map design. This is specifically in relation to verticality, map motivation and segmentation so without proper punishment of course a mechanic like Sprint will go unchecked.

In short: Because the meta is built around moving at accelerated speed. In Quake you always know your opponent can be moving at this accelerated speed and you take that into account. I don't see Halo's meta built around sprint, especially as a stop-start mechanic as it was implemented in the past. Halo's meta has always been built around base movement speed. Is this a failure to #adapt? Maybe, but it may also be that the game is just plain more fun without sprint, and people don't want to adapt in order to compete in a less fun game.

This could change with Halo 5, but I don't think your counterpoint really addresses the issue of sprint screwing with people's expectations of movement, and thus contributing to a lack of predictability.

Unlimited sprint could actually be a really big step in the right direction (so you don't have to mentally keep track of the opponent's stamina bar to know if they can sprint), but it's the kind of thing that I can't be sure of without playing.

You've pretty much answered yourself. It's been 4 years since the implementation of Sprint, predictability has not been a problem for anyone that tried to grasp the game properly for a few years now. What hasn't changed are peoples expectations of punishment which isn't helped one bit by the map design (see above).

Before this gets further and further away from the original point I'd just like make clear that I'm not trying to justify the intricacies of how Sprint has been implemented, merely addressing the problems I see with how blame is associated to increased player movement options.

Please... PLEASE have a few days of no sprint in the H5 beta.

I think the only people that would miss it are a few BTB guys and maybe some machinima guys (do they still exist?).  I've never seen a more obvious resolution be ignored for so long.  I'm honestly on board with H5 except for sprint and clamber, which are obvious "modern" features that add nothing.  I am disgusting myself by debating the issue again.

That is a sweet idea. Try both and let the players decide- show 343i right in front of their eyes.

The only prob i see is that maps need to be constructed differently depending on sprint or NS. With only 1 year to work on the game, i am not sure they will have enough time to redo the maps to compensate for NS if majority rules (Which it will- most casuals are even against sprint!)

I would highly recommend pushing release date back  6 months to 1 year. Gives MCC more time to prosper and more time for 343i to get the evolution of halo right. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Of course we don't need sprint, but does that matter?  No, of course not, Halo 5 has been made from the very beginning with sprint in mind, and they aren't gonna take it out unless a HUGE majority of the audience doesn't want it in the game.  They know that sprint didn't work in Halo 4 and that it made the experience worse overall, but they still put it in Halo 5.  If they really cared about it, they would have corrected their mistake already.  IT's gonna be in Halo 5, and we can't stop it.  I like to stay optimistic, but we have to have realistic expectations.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

According to this article:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/11/7186255/halo-5-guardians-preview

sprint is now unlimited and base-movement is slow. Also, you can't jump as high.

This is exact WRONG way to do it. Get rid of sprint, increase base-movement speed to a level faster than Halo 3. Gradual increase of movement speed would be okay if not excessive. Increase jump heigth.

COME ON NOW haven't we talked about this for three years now? Sp frustrating.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not gona lie, I would honestly rather see clamber taken out of Halo than sprint. I hate both and want them to die horrible deaths, but clamber will ruin my experience a lot more.

From how I see it part of the real beauty of Halo was jumping and jumping well. It started in Halo 2 really. That's now dumbed down 100%.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No. Just no.

There is one thing from CoD that I wish all games would copy, which is put all the gimmicky shit in Campaign as a contextual use thing and leave it out of Multiplayer (Grapplehook from Advanced Warfare is a perfect example). Put sprint in campaign, put mega death rocket jumpy-thrust pack of doom in campaign.

BUT LEAVE MULTIPLAYER ALONE. Campaign maps are beautiful, sandboxy and expansive. Multiplayer is tight, vertical and balanced. Sprint works dreams in Campaigns, it murders multiplayer maps.

343. Remove that shit. The map design team will love you for it, we will love you for it and Halo will love you for it.

While you're at it, remove ADS. This isn't a modern shooter, Halo gamers do not aim down sights, never have, never want to. Piss it off.

Some assholes will tell you "Oh its not ADS blah blah blah", fuck that. ITS RESEMBLES ADS, if we let 343i have their "stepping stones" of bullshit who the fuck know what kind of shit will be in Halo 6!?!?!?!?

Some assholes will tell you "Oh its not ADS blah blah blah", fuck that. ITS RESEMBLES ADS, if we let 343i have their "stepping stones" of bullshit who the fuck know what kind of shit will be in Halo 6!?!?!?!?

I honestly can't even imagine what Halo 6 will look like after seeing H5 so far.

of course not, you can dodge around in the air like it's "gunz the duel", h5 legitimately looks worse than h4 halo reach and h2a combined. i really hope you guys dont get all hyped up for months just to get duped for the fourth time lmao. i mean its not going to bother me either way in part it will be hilarious to see you guys get hyped for another trash game again

The only prob i see is that maps need to be constructed differently depending on sprint or NS.

nah, that's just a common misconception. That has been said for Halo Reach as well.

Sprint doesn't make games play any faster considering at is a defensive mechanic too.

• Upvote (+1) 2

• Predictability of movement - Nading someone around the corner or sniping somebody around the corner is a common reward of predicting movement well. Sprint detracts from this skill by making movement much less predictable. If you expect to meet someone around the corner, are you supposed to know if they activate sprint before you find line of sight? They can sprint any time they're not exhausted, it adds an element of randomness to the game.

I disagree with this. So because you don't know what your enemy's next move will be, its random? I don't know if blue team will rush for rockets so the game's random? Bloom is an example of randomness, not player decision.

of course not, you can dodge around in the air like it's "gunz the duel", h5 legitimately looks worse than h4 halo reach and h2a combined. i really hope you guys dont get all hyped up for months just to get duped for the fourth time lmao. i mean its not going to bother me either way in part it will be hilarious to see you guys get hyped for another trash game again

Reasons you seem like a douche:

1) You're getting excited over someone else's disappointment. Along with a very condescending tone.

2) You mention H2A in the same breath as H4 or HR, when it has better mechanics than H3, and is a great game (save for the lack of maps).

3) You obviously haven't been following the H5 beta news, yet you act like you know exactly how it's going to go down. 

4) You're just WRONG that it will be worse than H4 or HR. Equal starts? Check. Weapons that take skill? Check. Map control items? Check. Descope? Check. Maps that look OK (compared to Reach & 4)? Check. Small sandbox? Check. 

going by the reviews for H2A, sprint is going to be necessary in order to get that extra .5 to 1 point out of that mircrosoft is going to want, sprint has become as ubiquitous with shooters as recharging health has, and i would wager that a large portion of those who are going to be playing H5 will never have played a shooter without it

The most we can hope for is balanced settings with sprint, which if we work together with 343 is certainly possible, upping base speed, and hopefully a toggle to turn it off (which i could see being implemented if the community and 343 cant balance it properly)

• Upvote (+1) 1

This thread really is pointless. I hate sprint in Halo but there is absolutely no chance 343i takes sprint out of the game. Sprint is here to stay, but we need to make sure that they nerf it as much as possible.

Things we should be discussing:  unlimited sprint is a TERRIBLE idea. You can't even do that in Call of Duty without using a perk. They should only let you sprint for a short period of time - there should be a long cooldown period for sprint - if you sprint, you shouldn't be able to thruster either until the cooldown runs out (they should share the same resource bar) - and shields should not recharge for 4-5 seconds after stopping the sprint (the one idea 343i actually implemented properly). 

If Halo Reach and 4 are not enough evidence to show Halo and sprint do not work well together, I don't know what does.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I was going to vote waiting the play the beta...but then I re-read the question. No we do not need it

I think it just needs balancing to the point where you CAN'T ESCAPE by using it, so if you try sprint will fail and you die. I really feel that that is the only way to balance sprint.

No, i hope that if we all vote no and the community just absolutely is against it then they will turn back because they still have time to change it. They made h1 multiplayer in under a month i think. How hard could it be to just keep it the way true fans want it? H4 had over 1.2m preorders, not because the game had sprint and spartan abilities but bc the franchise of Halo had made a major name for itself in being a great game by then. :(

A Halo game releasing in 2015 is going to have sprint. I'd like to see it further nerfed beyond what 343 has planned. 

Sprint wasnt what ruined Halo Reach & Halo 4 for me in all honesty. Reach's shit maps and lack of ranks did. Halo 4's loadouts, crap maps, perks, lack of ranks, lack of de-scope and poor E-sports support did.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

A Halo game releasing in 2015 is going to have sprint. I'd like to see it further nerfed beyond what 343 has planned. 

Sprint wasnt what ruined Halo Reach & Halo 4 for me in all honesty. Reach's shit maps and lack of ranks did. Halo 4's loadouts, crap maps, perks, lack of ranks, lack of de-scope and poor E-sports support did.

Sprint is related to most of those, minus rankings.

anyone ever thing about why we get to play the beta a year before the game is released? when we play it if enough people complain they won't make it unlimited when the actual game comes out. 

You know, I never got why nobody has thought of being able to shoot while sprinting. Think about it:

Those who like Sprint like it because the game "feels faster". Those who don't like Sprint (myself included) have said over and over again that in practice it actually slows down Halo's gameplay. If they could allow you to shoot while sprinting, the game not only "feels" faster, but would play faster (sort of). If someone tries to run away, it's not a problem in many cases, due to you being able to still hit them while Sprinting- all while being able to get around the map quickly.

Now, would I simply prefer no Sprint whatsoever? Absolutely, but I feel like something such as this would be the only way to, at least marginally, appease both parties.

You know, I never got why nobody has thought of being able to shoot while sprinting. Think about it:

Those who like Sprint like it because the game "feels faster". Those who don't like Sprint (myself included) have said over and over again that in practice it actually slows down Halo's gameplay. If they could allow you to shoot while sprinting, the game not only "feels" faster, but would play faster (sort of). If someone tries to run away, it's not a problem in many cases, due to you being able to still hit them while Sprinting.

Now, would I simply prefer no Sprint whatsoever? Absolutely, but I feel like something such as this would be the only way to, at least marginally, appease both parties.

If you want to disregard basic physics then I guess it could work, I mean, it is a video game after all.

I just don't see how being able to shoot while your sprint is going to help, you could accomplish this with faster movement speed.

• Upvote (+1) 1