menotyou135

Alright, so lets talk H2A settings

So obviously, H2A is the game HCS is pushing. Currently the settings seem to have some improvement potential. What can we as a community do to improve the settings as much as possible?

Use this thread to discuss anything from player traits, to weapon spawns, to map+gametype settings, to possible forge maps/dev map modifications.

Invitational settings: 

Lockdown:

Slayer

Hill

Warlord:

Slayer

CTF 5

Bomb 5

Hill

Shrine:

Slayer

CTF 3

Bomb 3

• Upvote (+1) 4

Have yet to touch the game but all I'll say is Lockout slayer looked like poo so please take that out. Maybe remove sanc bomb because that looked slow as hell and make static weapon spawns

Also please do not make all the forge maps in hcs just remakes

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have yet to touch the game but all I'll say is Lockout slayer looked like poo so please take that out. Maybe remove sanc bomb because that looked slow as hell and make static weapon spawns

Also please do not make all the forge maps in hcs just remakes

So this is a good discussion point. 

What map changes could be made to fix lockout slayer (it if is fixable at all)?

Personally, I think that there are a few simple changes that could make movement more important.

-Add a 60-120 second Camo bottom green room in place of shotgun

-Move shotgun top mid so that someone charging that route can pick it up to attack the snipe tower and beat out sword campers (like we saw in H2)

-Change shotgun to survivor shotgun (it is slightly weaker than regular shotgun)

-Add geometry behind snipe tower that is easier to bank nades off of so that nading back snipe is feasible

-Spawn an extra set of frag nades at both BR tower and Snipe tower

-Increase snipe spawn time (normally I would be against this, but the sniper on lockout is primarily used to slow games down rather than force movement so this is one exception to my normal policy of making spawn times short on weapons).

-Replace PR with Red PR and SMG with silenced SMG (these are very minor things)

Non pace related things:

-Play oddball on it, but make it where there are a set of nades that spawn bottom middle to help break green room setup

-Move D hill to S2 rather than S1, remove A and E, and make C hill the A hill (D would become C).

-Remove rocks

-Either make glass unbreakable or remove it entirely (remove it would probably be bad for ball because it would be easier to get green setup)

-Static timers

• Upvote (+1) 2

So this is a good discussion point. 

What map changes could be made to fix lockout slayer (it if is fixable at all)?

Personally, I think that there are a few simple changes that could make movement more important.

-Add a 60-120 second Camo bottom green room in place of shotgun

-Move shotgun top mid so that someone charging that route can pick it up to attack the snipe tower and beat out sword campers (like we saw in H2)

-Change shotgun to survivor shotgun (it is slightly weaker than regular shotgun)

-Add geometry behind snipe tower that is easier to bank nades off of so that nading back snipe is feasible

-Spawn an extra set of frag nades at both BR tower and Snipe tower

-Increase snipe spawn time (normally I would be against this, but the sniper on lockout is primarily used to slow games down rather than force movement so this is one exception to my normal policy of making spawn times short on weapons).

-Replace PR with Red PR and SMG with silenced SMG (these are very minor things)

Non pace related things:

-Play oddball on it, but make it where there are a set of nades that spawn bottom middle to help break green room setup

-Move D hill to S2 rather than S1, remove A and E, and make C hill the A hill (D would become C).

-Remove rocks

-Either make glass unbreakable or remove it entirely (remove it would probably be bad for ball because it would be easier to get green setup)

-Static timers

I'm in favor of replacing every current Plasma Rifle with a Brute PR. The higher fire rate makes it much more competitive. i would also suggest removing all the PPs and replacing them with either a Brute or regular PR.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lets talk about what weapons have potential. Obviously, we are going to have BR, Carbine, Rocket, Sniper but what other sandbox weapons are usable for competitive play?

Here is a list of weapons I think could work in order of best to worst:

Survival Shotgun

Shotgun

Sentinel Beam

Silenced SMG

Brute PR

Magnum

Plasma Pistol

Brute shot

AR

Energy sword

Lets talk about what weapons have potential. Obviously, we are going to have BR, Carbine, Rocket, Sniper but what other sandbox weapons are usable for competitive play?

Here is a list of weapons I think could work in order of best to worst:

Survival Shotgun

Shotgun

Sentinel Beam

Silenced SMG

Brute PR

Magnum

Plasma Pistol

Brute shot

AR

Energy sword

What's the difference between the two Shotguns?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I believe (don't quote me on this) that the survival shotgun does slightly less damage making it more like the H3 mauler.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright, so lets talk H2A settings

Yes please!

Alright Ball is useable - yes there is throwing but it is about 1/4 the distance of in H4, which is fine. The game-breaking aspect of it in H4 was that you could throw it across map - totally overriding all work the attacking team has done, and removing most of the punishment for losing the setup and dying for the defending team. 

Koth is the worst of the classic gametypes because it directly promotes clusterfuck randomness and nade abuse. The gametype just isn't very competitive for most maps, especially on lockout where spawns count for so much with setups being very difficult to break, it makes for a very random gametype.

Ball is much more competitive because it has a lot more depth and creativity involved. It isn't just 4 hills on rotation - its any setup you want, and it isn't a clusterfucker, luck-riddled nade spam gametype either. It is skillful and methodical.

Stalactites need to go, and so does the respawn timer on exploding barrels. Set them to never respawn because randomly being exploded is just ********. On that note, reduce nades on map cos they feel OP in this game compared to H2C, especially on Warlord.

Also I tried ascension and fuck that map lol 

I think the silenced SMG should be in cos its badass

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Stalactites need to go, and so does the respawn timer on exploding barrels. Set them to never respawn because randomly being exploded is just ********. On that note, reduce nades on map cos they feel OP in this game compared to H2C, especially on Warlord.

If they did this, I feel like you should be able to nade sniper down. Like place it just so it is barely on S3 so that when it is naded it falls.

First order of business should be to get static spawns set up for all weapon and powerups. I'd recommend 60s powerups, 90s Brute Shot/Sentinel Beam/Shotgun/Sniper, 120s Rockets and to definitely make use of various automatic weapons.

After that bump movement to 110%. From there iterate map + gametype combinations and specific gametype settings.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Biggest thing that needs to be done first (and I have done small bits of testing, but it needs more) is some changes to base movement speed and melee damage.

As it stands now, movement speed is just a tad too slow.  It most affects strafe speed as there is times I lose a fight or win a fight due to my/my opponent's fluky strafe.  Upping base speed to 110-120 fixes this issue, but final speeds need to be locked down (hey there's a map pun!)

Secondly, 3 hit kill melees are a little too slow.  In H2C it is fine due to the ridiculous lunge you get on a melee, requiring the reduced damage to avoid super slap fights.  In H2A it makes almost every up close fight feel sluggish and random.  Obviously we want to avoid herp a derping, so a two hit kill melee is best to be avoided, but if we can get the damage to where one melee and two burst kills I think we are good.  I have done little testing on melee damage, so if I am wrong on this someone please correct me.

Lockdown slayer is slow, but also very tactical.  I think the suggestion of adding Camo helps make slayer more feasible as it makes breaking set ups possible thus speeding up gameplay.  Lockdown ball is a must.  First off, we can have Oddball back which is a necessity (both because of how tactical it is and because it is my favorite gametype ever).  Secondly, Lockout oddball was one of the best gametypes ever to grace Halo.  Lockdown king can work, but some hill tweaking needs to be done.  I think it would be better to design a forge map specifically for king like Nexus was.  King plays best on maps made for it.

Shrine with some spawn work becomes the perfect every gametype map that Midship was back in the day.  Assault is the weakest on it, but if we have to play it we can.  Otherwise, Slayer and Flag already work so not much needs to be said.

Warlord slayer is fun, fast and frenetic which this game needs.  it plays slower than H2C so we need some speed.  Warlord flag is also great, but some spawns need tweaking as you sometimes can spawn underneath someone as they run in a flag for easy returns/stops.  Assault can work, but arm times need to be tweaked.

Throw in one or two solid forge maps designed for slayer and king and we have a ourselves a game people. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I really do think we need 2 to 3 forge great forge maps. Even though we only have this game for a year, I don't think anyone will enjoy watching the same 3 maps for all these tournaments. Plus with only a 3 map rotation, it already feels a little repetitive but I really do enjoy H2A so far :D   

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If any only if the screen lag on split screen isn't a issue this time around in forge I wouldnt be upset to see one map. But dose anyone else think the movement speed or gravity needs to bumped up slightly.

Shrine with some spawn work becomes the perfect every gametype map that Midship was back in the day.  Assault is the weakest on it, but if we have to play it we can.  Otherwise, Slayer and Flag already work so not much needs to be said.

Rockets slow down Slayer on Shrine too much. If you have them you can just sit in ring 2 and lock it down. We need a powerup for Shrine slayer because if you just camp with your OS/camo you are going to waste it. If you get your team a powerup you want to make plays with it while you got the advantage that the powerup gives you for a limited time.

And yeah spawns need to be fixed in Shrine slayer!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Accidentally down voted you...

The surivior weapons has a lower ammo pool than their regular counterparts (you can only vary about half the reserve ammo.) Otherwise, the stats look very identical.

Would people be willing to play a midship remake? Or has that been played to death? If a midship remake is added in, I think only slayer and CTF should be played on it.

Hopefully we can get some new fresh forge maps added in as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Drop Lockpwn Slayer and consider testing KotH Ascension.

We have it, we might as well see how it goes

• Upvote (+1) 4

Rockets slow down Slayer on Shrine too much. If you have them you can just sit in ring 2 and lock it down. We need a powerup for Shrine slayer because if you just camp with your OS/camo you are going to waste it. If you get your team a powerup you want to make plays with it while you got the advantage that the powerup gives you for a limited time.

And yeah spawns need to be fixed in Shrine slayer!

I think if you fix spawns on Shrine you will see the rockets become less effective.  Especially because H2A rockets are not the strongest and their splash damage is almost nothing unless your shot hits inches from a player.

Perhaps lowering the ammo in rockets to only two shots.  Makes you have to pick your fights or use them only to break a set up if you get them?

Movement seems a little slow, a small bump could be nice. 

Lockout king should fix the dimensions of the hills. If there's a top mid hill, it should cover all of top mid, not a couple square feet around the glass which could be broken. The way it stands now for any king game, is that the people in the hill are literally sitting ducks. They can't really move. 

I would like oddball in the mix somewhere. I think warlord could be interesting, although I feel like there would just be a 15 minute game every time. But Lockout might be nice. I would vote for oddball over king on lockout. 

Something needs to be done about the tendency to camp and slow down play on lockdown TS. Yesterday @@Animosity and I played a 2v2 that went 15 minutes and was 19-18, we took the lead with like 6 seconds left. Total campfest. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Movement seems a little slow, a small bump could be nice. 

Lockout king should fix the dimensions of the hills. If there's a top mid hill, it should cover all of top mid, not a couple square feet around the glass which could be broken. The way it stands now for any king game, is that the people in the hill are literally sitting ducks. They can't really move. 

I would like oddball in the mix somewhere. I think warlord could be interesting, although I feel like there would just be a 15 minute game every time. But Lockout might be nice. I would vote for oddball over king on lockout. 

Something needs to be done about the tendency to camp and slow down play on lockdown TS. Yesterday @@Animosity and I played a 2v2 that went 15 minutes and was 19-18, we took the lead with like 6 seconds left. Total campfest. 

but man those 6 seconds of action got intense... let me tell you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think if you fix spawns on Shrine you will see the rockets become less effective.  Especially because H2A rockets are not the strongest and their splash damage is almost nothing unless your shot hits inches from a player.

Perhaps lowering the ammo in rockets to only two shots.  Makes you have to pick your fights or use them only to break a set up if you get them?

The thing in slayer is if you are winning and you got mapcontrol and rockets there is just no reason to push with them since you could get sniped and having rockets in ring is a very safe way to hold down ring because the enemy team has to die a few times if the rocket player is doing it right. When games get to 45-45 or above rockets will make it really standoff-ish. If it is 45-45 and one team gets a powerup it is the time to make plays because your advantage is limited in time (like I said earlier).

Only two rockets is not good IMO because it is not so important to go for them.

And as I said I think rockets work perfect in Shrine CTF but a powerup would do better on Shrine slayer.

Do you have a specific reason why you don't want a powerup spawning ring one?

Secondly, 3 hit kill melees are a little too slow.  In H2C it is fine due to the ridiculous lunge you get on a melee, requiring the reduced damage to avoid super slap fights.  In H2A it makes almost every up close fight feel sluggish and random.  Obviously we want to avoid herp a derping, so a two hit kill melee is best to be avoided, but if we can get the damage to where one melee and two burst kills I think we are good.  I have done little testing on melee damage, so if I am wrong on this someone please correct me.

Currently, 1 standing melee and 1 burst (if all 3 bullets hit) will kill.  2 melees can kill if one of those melees was a forward moving melee or a jumping melee (just like H2 classic, moving/jumping melees do more damage than standing/crouching melees).