Proto

Halo: MCC Launch Invitational Feedback Thread

Keepers

Isolation booths -- these allow for more purist strategic play and communication, since teams can't observe each other.

Bad Things

Didn't stream the much-anticipated StK vs. Optic series

Casting narrative -- will Team A be knocked out if they lose this game? This series? Is this winner's bracket or loser's bracket? These things should be an integral part of the narrative while casting each game, not just in between. They should be mentioned 3-5 times per game. Finals felt like they ended suddenly.

Needs

Face cams

Official online bracket

Cumulative stats

Give people a reason to care. What's at stake? Talk about how passionate the players are about the game. Get players to show more emotion. (Face cams will help.)

Lockdown needs Camo. Put it in green and move the shotty to elbow or something.

Lockdown Hill has it's moments. I'd remove the hill under glass all together as it is a cluster and requires no setup. My ideal rotation would be Top mid, snipe 1, top blue, BR3

3 maps is awful. Zenith(Ascension) needs to be used. It COULD work for slayer but it would 100% be the best map for Hill. Zenith Hill should definitely be added into the mix

i was saying this the whole time.

it's the one gametype zenith plays superb at in a competitive setting

Pros/Cons of the event to me:

Pros:

• Interviews
  • "Listen-Ins"
  • Casting
  • (gameplay was generally exciting to watch)
  • felt like good halo was being played
  • felt like the production team cared

Cons:

• Booths need to die..for halo.
  • I want facecams back
  • I want the OG Bleachers for the mainstage back, not chairs in rows. (Bleachers make crowd reactions seem louder)

I'm sure I am missing things, but I feel like if these points are meet, we will have more of that "iconic" :goldenboy: halo feel.

Like others have said. Really missed the facecams. Loved that they added the listen in's on day two but facecams would really help pull it all together.

Gametypes obviously need some tweaking as other have pointed out.

Really want to see Walshy and @@FrankTheShow casting in the future.

In terms of the competitive community interaction, someone started a thread about it and it was moved here - who will be driving the competitive settings and receiving the feedback?

I'd hope they assign a specific pro(s) to "oversee" the HCS, specifically. I know Neighbor has been saying he can't really tell people what his responsibility is at 343i but that he can "soon." I'd like to see maybe Neighbor and Ghost be driving those interactions with the HCS community as Brav has so much other stuff to do. I feel like Gandhi's title at Hi-Rez Studios would have fit well with the HCS' direction.

However, Halo 5 Guardians might be the focus to really show the potential of the HCS so not sure how much investment will be put into this first season in terms of settings, etc.

All in all, just looking forward to the little production value suggestions others have mentioned. Will be nice when game transitions will be smaller while on the final build of the game and such. Good time to be a Halo fan!

Really liked the tourney as a whole! So good to see competitive Halo again. There are some things we have to realize will take time to tweak (maps, game types, etc) but as this was an early tournament before the game was even released these aren't things under the tournament organizers control.

I see a lot of people posting here for more (or more solid) commentary. I guess I'm part of the minority then when I ask for more live look ins. I understand the need to explain what is going on to more casual viewers, but in my opinion that should be kept to a minimum (recapping a big play such as a player going off, or a flag being captured, etc). I find it much more exhilarating to watch when the viewers get to experience the chaos and intensity that the teams are going through. There is only so much commentary that is needed, I think, but I'm sure everything will come together as more events take place

I think goldenboy still needs to work on his halo knowledge

A lot of the times he was just repeating whatever bravo said and didnt really add anything

Not saying I dislike him or anything, but he's got room for improvement

Came in here to post something like this. He did well, but from the small amount I watched over the weekend, hearing Bravo talk was like listening to someone whose been playing Halo for years where Goldenboy seemed to almost be talking about nothing or forcing the conversationg.

@@GoldenboyFTW, you should play more Halo, that would improve your commentating a lot. If you can learn how to game works it'll help your ability to describe the game to the people watching.

Enjoyed the casting a lot, wouldn't mind adding a 3rd/4th person in to mix it up more like Walshy or @@FrankTheShow.

Wouldn't mind seeing this either. Maybe they could have 3 commentators rotating bewteen games or matches, like;

Walshy and Bravo for the first series

Walshy and Golden for the second

Golden and Bravo for the third

ect ect

Came in here to post something like this. He did well, but from the small amount I watched over the weekend, hearing Bravo talk was like listening to someone whose been playing Halo for years where Goldenboy seemed to almost be talking about nothing or forcing the conversationg.

@@GoldenboyFTW, you should play more Halo, that would improve your commentating a lot. If you can learn how to game works it'll help your ability to describe the game to the people watching.

Wouldn't mind seeing this either. Maybe they could have 3 commentators rotating bewteen games or matches, like;

Walshy and Bravo for the first series

Walshy and Golden for the second

Golden and Bravo for the third

ect ect

I like how he hypes things up but a few things made me roll my eyes more so than get hyped. I think it was Lethal's triple kill with the sword. He was out of breathe and I think he was clutching his heart. I think I heard Bravo charge the defibrillator too.

I understand it was close to the end of the game, and it helped control the pace of the final minutes, but there should be some emphasis or clarification on it. Maybe I'm looking into things too much, but it sounded like he went nuts for the actual triple like it was an incredibly skilled play. Lethal pressed the trigger 3 times, that's about it. Get loud, get hyped sure but I'd put more emphasis on explaining why that was 10x more an important play than it was skilled. There are certain elements of casting that help explain the story already taking place in the game.

That's just one specific from quite a bit. Obviously the downtimes, gametypes, and issues with hardware, but overall it was a great event.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hey guys, Doju ask me to post this here - it's his feedback on the settings used at ESL.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2lug87/my_esports_settings_feedback_after_esl/

"Hello all, Im new on r/halo, used to be an active poster over on BE. I used to help create Gold Pro/Unity settings for competitive Halo and help try and improve the competitive game."

Who is this guy? I've never heard of him.

"Hello all, Im new on r/halo, used to be an active poster over on BE. I used to help create Gold Pro/Unity settings for competitive Halo and help try and improve the competitive game."

Who is this guy? I've never heard of him.

You must have been away from the competitive Halo scene for quite a while...

He's been helping develop competitive gametypes since Reach.

You must have been away from the competitive Halo scene for quite a while...

He's been helping develop competitive gametypes since Reach.

And that's why I've never heard of him.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pro's

- I liked that there was not much downtime, that said trailers after every match are annoying. Would rather have commentators talk or have analyst covering past game. 

- commentary was good

- in contrary of many on this forum, I like the slow pace slayer game types like lockout. Having slayer always go like halo3 amplified gets boring for me after a while. so having both fast and slow slayers is fun to me.

Maybe playing it 3 times over is not the best way to do it. maybe after 2 times tie the tiebreaker or make different way to deal with it (one life game or first to 10)

- I really liked the listen in and the quality of them. Mlg have the crappy turtle beach and that sounds so bad. This was so crisp.

- Also the times they did the listen in were most of the times perfect times, probably curtsy of lenox and bravo with all there experience.

-

cons

- Bo3 is to short, bo5/7 will bring you more viewers and they will stay better.

- Not broadcasting match like stk vs optic was bad. Really wanted to see that one

- To many trailers, its ok to watch a timer so now and then if you want downtime between every game

- Amount of downtime was not to bad but trailers/ads after every game feels a lot

Gametypes

- Bomb need some tweaking.

- Feels to me 1/2 extra maps are needed to keep the series fresh.

- Lockout hill might work better if the current hill D (snipe1) and hill E (bot mid) are not after one another. If one team has sword they can easily control both because they are so close and after one another.

With this all said... I really liked the tournament and the games it produced. I have watched it all except for the final 2 games of the final because I fell asleep after not sleeping much whole weekend because of drinking Friday and halo on saturday :) (live in Netherlands so most games were very late)

I think people need to take into account that this was a launch invitational event in a small eSports studio, so suggestions like "Bigger venue" and "more teams" are moot points. 

That being said, I think the event ran very well after the minimal, initial hiccups at the beginning of Day 1. I kinda figured that we wouldn't see every match streamed considering it was 8-team double-elim and it started in the afternoon on both days, so I don't see that as a negative either.

Just some suggestions for the future, though:

-More map overviews before games, so newer players can understand spawns and call-outs better. Being able to show the viewers where each specific call-out on the map is really helps, especially with listen-ins.
-Player cams are obviously a must.
-Screen overlays were kinda iffy. The top graphic showing set score and team abbreviations was fine, but the bottom graphic kinda takes up way too much space. Maybe taking up less space by having the player cam on the left and then the player name printed reasonably right above the player cam so less real estate is taken away from the center area of the screen. Also, it's kinda off that the graphic shows the imagery for both H:CE Anniversary Chief and H2A Chief when it's only a H2A tournament.
-Would love way more stats and player history/bios inbetween sets. As much as Bravo and Goldenboy are beautiful men, I'd be nice to not look at a static shot. Would also help with downtime, too.
-For larger events, I'd like to see more casters - either a table of three or a rotation of three. A supplementary analyst desk, if possible, would be great, too.
-TS Lockdown needs to go. Lockdown Hill would be nice, instead. 
-Zenith needs to make an appearance. Zenith Hill would be great.
-Would like to see tweaks to the gametypes that others have suggested.
-Best of 5 > Best of 3.
-Oddball needs to make an appearance. Territories could be an option, too, but I'd rather see Bomb tweaked more first.
-Warlord was super hype but spawns needs tweaking. Also that pistol at the bottom of one of lifts (iirc) needs to go.
-Also please get rid of Warlord's Sentinel Beam for something not the sentinel beam.
-Having a professional bracket graphic is great, but having an online bracket on Challonge that is easily accessible by viewers would really help. Kinda sucked to have to wait until the stream showed the bracket to know where we were at at a given time, esp for ppl that weren't tuned in the entire time.
-I think Clutch's suit jacket was too long and should've not worn jeans.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Awesome weekend regardless, can't wait to see more from ESL!

Is oddball fixed for h2a?

I think koth lockout plays well. Some very good strategies with the "rotations" the teams needs to use

I enjoyed the games and found them pretty exciting, but I would like to see some oddball! Also didn't really like the way the assault gametypes played.

My preferred game types:

Lockdown TS (Add Camo somewhere)

Lockdown Ball

Warlord TS

Warlord Ball

Warlord CTF

Shrine CTF

Shrine TS

Zenith Hill

Another three gametypes on forged maps for a total of 11.

For future tournaments, would people prefer a large bracket tournament like this past weekend and like past MLG events, or pool play from 2011? 

I personally am a fan of the huge bracket and just let everyone duke it out, but that's just me. 

Face cam so when fearitself plays I can only see his forehead. However, on a serious note cater a little more towards casuals and new viewers. Not everyone will know players backgrounds and team history. 

I almost forgot

Walshy

If 343 doesn't pick him up to commentate games they are 100% crazy

Walshy is like the john madden of halo, he's done everything, he's won everything and he's universally loved

• Upvote (+1) 1