Proto

Halo: MCC Launch Invitational Feedback Thread

Looked like some1 tried to pass the bomb to T2 but he was unable to pick it up and it just bounced off his spartan.

The astro listen ins are more entertaining than the casters

Warlock bomb didn't work that well imo. spawning with 2 grenades on such a small map made it near impossible to arm the bomb. Maybe 1 nade start on warlock bomb?

Also The bomb should be invisible if you have camo.

Lockout and Sanc slayer have to go. Both need invis/os. Sadly I have heard there is no custom in h2a and os can only be 1 shield. a custom with 1layer os+camo on a relatively short timer would make lockout flow a lot better. Sanc should just try out camo first

I think goldenboy still needs to work on his halo knowledge

A lot of the times he was just repeating whatever bravo said and didnt really add anything

Not saying I dislike him or anything, but he's got room for improvement

• Upvote (+1) 3

Tournament was great. It's tough to see D/C's at a LAN and hopefully that can be fixed (I feel especially bad for Bravo and Goldenboy having to go through that, but they did great). 

I understand some of the game types were slower than others. I like a mix. My favorite parts of the series were in those Lockdown TS games. Hearing communication slow down and when they were going to push really makes Halo look respectable as a skillful game IMO. But the gametypes definitely need some work (i.e. sanc bomb). We also need more maps, but that's gotta wait until forge. 

I would have loved to hear more crowd noise and trash-talking. I think that's part of the Halo experience. Obviously, that was a small crowd. But I feel like it should not have been closed booths. 

Would be nice to see more POV's at once if possible as well. There were some switching between cams right before someone scoped in to kill someone with a sniper.

Overall, they did a great job. It can only get better. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

More player back story's and maybe bios ? Try to build the players up. I also like how the last COD event they kept stats which they showed while the game was going on for different game modes. I assume halo will because this is the first event they couldn't I understand. I really liked in downtime the map breakdown by bravo for lockdown. I want to see acouple more of those maybe explain setups,starting strats.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Any technical reason why they don't just start the next game of the series? It kills all the hype from the last game (Lockout TS where Roy went HAM comes to mind) and just resets the situation. Running with the hype is a lot better imo

Run commercials every 2 games at least, stream reminded me of MLG tbh

Remove Lockout TS, add Lockout Oddball and make KoTH 2 minutes per hill. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most fun I've had watching an event since the last reach MLG event which was what 3 years ago now?

Good weekend and it's got me more pumped then I already was (which was a fucking lot) for MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Casters

• Some sort of analyzation desk would have been cool, maybe grab some of the pro's that were knocked out early to discuss some of the matches. This would help with downtime.
  • On a side note, GoldenBoy is getting even better each Halo event he attends. Can't wait to see what comes of him in the next year.

Gametypes

• Lockdown TS needs some sort of tension breaker. Maybe replace camo with sword or add camo to elbow. I really don't enjoy sword for the fact that it is very low risk compared to reward on Lockout. 
  • As many have mentioned, bomb reset needs to bumped to at least 30.

You pretty much covered it all in the OP =p. Please no Sanc bomb though, it's just Reach all over again (games ending 1-0 a lot of the time).

Edit: I would actually be happy with the removal of sword, it's just too OP imo.

A lot of the times he was just repeating whatever bravo said and didnt really add anything

I feel the same way. At times he'd call stuff that really made no sense at that moment. Also saw that he liked to repeat himself alot on certain things especially the listen in's. When cutting it was always" We'll be heading into a listen in with BtH, blah blah blah. Then the very next sentence would be the exact same thing almost as if the audience didn't hear him the first time." Slow it down homeboy, relax and let the words flow.

I wasn't too much of a fan of lockout TS, in the grand finals they're would always be a point were both str8 and bts would have a stand off and I would be annoyed because I wanted to see action, and the stand offs would be quite long. I realize that both teams were discussing whether to rush or not and I'm not discrediting that, but from a viewers stand point it can get rather boring.

I did like assault, even tho the bomb would always reset due to short drop time and it would take forever to plant it was very exciting to watch. I liked lost of the game types but I feel they're wasn't enough of sanc in the finals. I also disliked that loser bracket matches were not streamed, I had no idea optic lost to stk, I was souped to watch it but I was disappointed to find out they already played.

Overall I thought the steam and invitational were good, I really can't complain that much. Any issues I'm sure will be worked out, both esl, twitch, and 343 aren't use to broadcasting events on a large scale, I'm sure everything will be good

I thought Bravo was great. Goldenboy has a LOT of space fillers in his commentary. I felt like every other sentence was "with that being said". I think one time he switched it up like "Being said, with that..." It's one of those things where you don't have to be talking every second, finish your sentences and let the game breathe a bit. Otherwise good stuff.

Could use a lot more stats and analysis overall. Not only does it provide something to talk about between matches, it can also be brought up during the games instead of straight play-by-play. Talk about what the setup looks like, what certain players' tendencies are, etc.

Apart from commentary, I felt like there was a lot more hype in the room than actually came across on stream. Mic'ing up the audience might be a thought, the game is so much more hype when you can hear the crowd react very clearly.

Lockdown TS is a standoffish gametype, but once the stream started doing more listen-ins, it became very interesting to hear the teams discuss strategies. On those slower gametypes, listen-ins are crucial. A little disappointed we didn't get any listen-ins of Purple Rain on day 1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree, nothing towards golden boy but it kinda sounds like he was just a pub star when he would play

In short.

Lockout TS should never be played again. Lockout KotH needs a new starting spawn for blue team. Lockout ball. Play it.

Sanc TS needs team based spawns. Knowing people could spawn behind you encouraged camping in an already very campy gametype without it.

Bomb reset time needs doubled. Arm time on warlock should perhaps be slightly shorter.

Downtime was ridiculously high between games. Once you start a series keep it rolling until its over. This got better towards the end

*most important* Stream the final 3-4 rounds of losers bracket. This is more exciting than the entire event minus the finals because everyone's tournament lives are on the line.

Oh and goldenboy. Slither =/= sliver. Maybe I heard it wrong but I was cringing every time lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Challonge brackets should be linked on the Twitch page.

Hopefully 343 uses Forge to introduce static timers to stop every TS match from being a stalemate. That or less TS on Lockout and Sanc.

I also agree that downtime was too high and more losers matches should be streamed at the end of the tournament.

Loved the casting this weekend.

Also:

WutFace

• Upvote (+1) 1

Goldenboy lets his hype show too much. Not to say that being hyped is bad. It's good that Goldenboy is really passionate. But, Bravo has a good balance of being hyped, breaking down strategies, and pointing out things that are happening off the main screen to keep us in the know.

Things to add or improve in production:

-Individual Player Cams

-Stat tracking

-Interactive Voting

-User created content during breaks (montages, forge map walkthroughs, machinimas)

-More indivdualized player content (backstory, comp history, etc.

-Seperate casters and analysts

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think both casters need to work on overhyping. Too many times they would go crazy for a barely average play. Save the freakouts for the really pivotal/sick plays. For instance, I thought they did the end of the Lockout slayer/king games perfectly in the Grand Finals. 

With the game coming out in a couple of days, I don't see a lot of downtime with the game due to technical difficulties. The listen-ins were great and the production value overall was great. Loser's bracket had some strong teams and it would've been great if they showed them. My main issue is with the maps and gametypes and the format. 

I don't know if 343 will use community testing to get the optimal maps and gametypes but I think that we should try out some things or take some things out. The maps need good spawns, weapon and powerup placements.

Personally I liked the Lockout TS games, but If there's a tie at all in slayer switch to 5 minutes. I'd rather see Lockout go though, but it was enjoyable. 

King of the Hill I think there should be less hills and more time personally.

Best of three has to go. But this has to do with the fact that this was an old build so there were no gametypes/map combinations tested really. Best of 5 by default, best of 11 in continuation.

Gameplay - looked very smooth. Seems like it's going to be a game dominated by teamwork similar to Halo 3. Very fast paced

Maps/Gametypes - Lockout ball is more ideal than Hill. Like OP said, bomb could use a shorter plant time. Also hopefully future events are best of 5. Would like to see beaver creek forge map as well.

Teams - Expected BtH and StK to be at the top of the list. Surprised with the Str8 and Agency placings. Also surprised with the amount of complaining Ace and Snipedown did on twitter after their loss

They need to pick up Walshy for caster. So amazing to listen to when there was Astro Listen in, and the only time he was on the caster desk. His insight to the game is vast.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lockout TS was awesome, loved the tension.  Though game type would benefit from a camo under glass or on elbow.