CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Bsangel might not be a mlg pro at halo but she does a great job interacting with the other fans of halo

She is/was a good community manger IMO

• Upvote (+1) 1

Static timers or does that fit in with the spectator confusion thing?

Would love some lockout ball but shame they changed the mechanics so the ball rolls too much

I don't see how static timers could confuse viewers when the default timing system for H2A is such a confusing mess anyway. Unless you're on a player's PoV when his weapon is forced to despawn or thrown off the map you've got no way of knowing when it'll respawn. Static timers with some kind of stream overlay to help the viewer witht he info would be infinitely better while also being a good lead up to Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, after some investigation I pretty sure I fucked up. Maybe there is some problem with the cache or something. I found the original thread and according to that it is not BS Angel who wrote it.

The version I found first:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/3582857/1/0

Then, I think, the original version where BS Angel don´t even is a part of? wtf?

http://halo.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=74674703&postRepeater1-p=1#74674924

Someone with a brain who can figure it out? I will of course edit my first post if that is neccesary.

I personally really enjoyed onslaught flag in halo 3. I thought it brought some of the best games throughout it's run. And it was my best game type personally. I liked the aspect of holding a position and team shooting. Not to say we can't have that with power weapons on the map.

Some forge maps such as onslaught and amplified were very good and competitive maps. Always had exciting turn outs with maps like that. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why we not having static timers? I saw a post how they are set up, is this not a thing?

Forge maps are bland, but I think they are better looking now. Smooth stone is better than ugly gray und white from past games. Do we have Simplex yet?

My friend said to me, that Oddball is not competitive and can not be used. Is this true? I hope not. He also said maps need be bigger because BR is better at range? No?

Sorry for my bad english. I try not to post often, but need practice. Thank you.

Well, since we're being honest...

You don't know what makes an fps game a good competitive title, so I'm going to be the smart one and ignore your opinions from here on out.

Who are you?

anyone see lxthul's tweet about status quo this morning? and then assualt and lxthul retweet a post from heinz from about 3 years ago, talking about SQ.

the plot thickens...

The best competitive maps will, imho, bring the most enoyable and intense gameplay and I don´t really see the need to create new maps just to get variation. Football do have the same map all the time ;-)

The quality of the gameplay comes from good players and well drilled team play. And for me, a well known map with that perfect competitive balance is always better than some forged unknown map.

Case fucking closed

• Upvote (+1) 2

Case fucking closed

Its understandable that forgers want to help the scene and make maps, but its not great for the competitive scene if they are made by those with no knowledge of high level play and try to be creative/asymmetrically unbalanced, which is why we should stick with the forge maps that have actually worked, like Simplex and Onslaught. Or if not, then just stick with the 3 dev maps for the casual viewers.

This game, whether people want to admit it or not, in my honest opinion needs at least one good and versatile forge map. Seeing only three maps, and competing on only three maps is maddening. If I'm already getting sick of these maps that we have, you know that we're going to need more variety. As much contention as there is over basic arena maps right now, creating one and implementing it in the mean time until a balanced *new* map comes out would give the game a much needed breath of fresh air.

I would be in agreement in saying that Beaver Creek would be a wonderful map to get. We haven't played enough of it and it was awesome even in the short time that it was played during Halo Reach.

I'm also probably in the minority in saying that I would love to get Pit again. I just personally like how balanced and fair the map feels on a regular basis.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This game, whether people want to admit it or not, in my honest opinion needs at least one good and versatile forge map. Seeing only three maps, and competing on only three maps is maddening. If I'm already getting sick of these maps that we have, you know that we're going to need more variety. As much contention as there is over basic arena maps right now, creating one and implementing it in the mean time until a balanced *new* map comes out would give the game a much needed breath of fresh air.

I would be in agreement in saying that Beaver Creek would be a wonderful map to get. We haven't played enough of it and it was awesome even in the short time that it was played during Halo Reach.

I'm also probably in the minority in saying that I would love to get Pit again. I just personally like how balanced and fair the map feels on a regular basis.

I agree. Pit would be awesome if it came back.  This game needs at least 2 forge maps.

One easy way to fix the thing with casuals not being familiar with forge maps is to have 343 implement some into regular H2A matchmaking. So, casuals have the chance to play the map and become familiar with them before they see it on an event stream. Also, casuals will be just as bored of the same three maps being played over and over again just as much as we are. So, to me it isn't even an option to try and stick it out with just the three maps we have now. Also, how do we know that forge maps other than Onslaught and Simplex don't work when most pros just dismiss them without even playing them or after like one game?

• Upvote (+1) 2

One easy way to fix the thing with casuals not being familiar with forge maps is to have 343 implement some into regular H2A matchmaking. So, casuals have the chance to play the map and become familiar with them before they see it on an event stream. Also, casuals will be just as bored of the same three maps being played over and over again just as much as we are. So, to me it isn't even an option to try and stick it out with just the three maps we have now. Also, how do we know that forge maps other than Onslaught and Simplex don't work when most pros just dismiss them without even playing them or after like one game?

Yep, I've seen this countless times. I've seen maps being dismissed almost instantly and that's kind of upsetting.

There's not even any feedback, it's just "This map is garbage" and that's it.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Because they know what maps work, this isint their first Halo game.

So two base two tower maps are the only type of maps that work in halo? Gotcha. I'll make sure to tell the halo CE crowd that they're playing broken maps.

• Upvote (+1) 6

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on these forums. So I guess counterstrike should get rid of dust2, nuke, inferno, and train because they've been played for too long? That's just idiotic.

I don't play CSGO so I can't really debate this with you. I'm talking about Halo, which as you can guess, is different from CSGO. We have a viable Forge in H2A. We've seen and played the same type of maps (two base two tower maps) which don't exactly promote the most competitive gameplay. 

We have more options right in front of us with Forge, we're no longer limited to what the devs put on the disc. Why would we limit ourselves to the most basic designs that don't have the most competitive merit? Did Simplex and Onyx really test the pros to think about where they should be pushing or setting up?

Side note: I'm not opposed to the current maps (Lockout, Sanc, Warlock) as they're disc maps. That's fine that they're remakes. It's the fact that we need to fill two map slots with Forge and people are just saying, "put in Midship and another two base two tower map." Where's the creativity? It seems people are so close minded and literally just want the same styled maps every single Halo. Let's have a mixture of old (disc maps) and new designs.

Let's not get carried away here lol.   :P

Am I wrong? It doesn't take a genius to know that you should be setting up on one of the towers (P3 Middy, either side Onslaught/Amp, Purp Simplex etc) or both towers if you have total map control and pushing when you get 3/4 down. The designs are so basic, would it not be refreshing to play a map where you have to develop new strats with your team which could give you an edge over opponents in tournament play.

If we go back and reforge Midship or another Midship styled two base two tower map, the strats that have been used since '04 will resurface (again) which in my opinion, is just really boring, especially since we have Forge. 

They are going to win at any map anyways, let them play whats more enjoyable for them/

As I said earlier in this thread, spectators and the spectator experience is more important than catering to the pros and what maps they want. The pros will play and compete regardless, that is what they are trained to do, play Halo and win money. Spectators on the other hand, if they're just watching the same, boring strats being used over and over again, they're more likely to stop tuning in. If we have exciting maps that have new strats developing over time, people will be more likely to stay tuned in.

Without spectators, there would be no events. It would just be a fancy LAN event. Spectators drive eSports.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also, another thing that's on my mind. The shooting skill gap is pretty small in H2A. It's not very hard at all to land the final 3 shots on a guy from short to medium range when you have the first shot. Couple this with the stale, basic maps and you really aren't left with much that separates the top teams. All it is, is who choked the least, or who had a lucky nade.

With new maps that need learning, teams can develop new strats which could lead to them out-manoeuvring the other team or out-positioning them. This adds to the skill, something that H2A desperately needs seeing as the button glitches have been taken out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're 100% right. I don't have a source for this but I believe he's put down the controller and picked up the stop watch and clipboard. He figured it'd probably be the easier to ride the coat-tails of another team that way he can be condescending on the forums. Good luck @@Sam, I know just how hard coaching can really be.

To quote a good friend of mine who coached HaE at DC in 2010.

"iPhone app + being conscious = best coach in game."

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why we not having static timers? I saw a post how they are set up, is this not a thing?

Forge maps are bland, but I think they are better looking now. Smooth stone is better than ugly gray und white from past games. Do we have Simplex yet?

My friend said to me, that Oddball is not competitive and can not be used. Is this true? I hope not. He also said maps need be bigger because BR is better at range? No?

Sorry for my bad english. I try not to post often, but need practice. Thank you.

Oddball is not competitive? He wot? Biff_confused.jpg

It seems that only people who play the game at the highest level understand how complex of a game it actually is. It is indescribable and to argue the merits of each map via text is silly. The most important thing for the next year is competition, which from the rumors running about should not be a problem as long as we all come together as a community and support whatever the people in charge put into the game while suggesting what we want to them. There is no sense in arguing what is best anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2