CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

SO iron gaming lied? GG

That's exactly what Iron Gaming announced as well.  HCS > FFA > Randomly assigned seeds

Saw T Squared was playing a custom with Str8 Sick and Prototype.  Wouldn't Prototype be a natural fit for their fourth?  Are Str8 Sick and Prototype related to each other or friends or something?  I remembered seeing them team up on Classic in Reach 2012.

Proto and Str8 live down the road from eachother I've heard them say. Naded said today they were going to be playing with Prototype.

Since we are talking about maps. I am really tired of Sanctuary. The maps has been played too death. The strategy for the map can not evolve anymore, especially for CTF.

I like Warlord Bomb. Was watching the Gfinity tournament and a team played the gametype in a new way I had never seen. It was very fun to watch and see the other team trying to compete.

Halo 2 classic was very exciting to watch and never got stale b/c of the meta game evolved at individual level (button combos) and at the team level (new strats like green room lockout ball). At the halo 3 level we saw the meta game evolve at the team level (new strats on maps).

However ever since Halo Reach we have made the push towards staying with maps we know rather than develop new maps. In halo reach the community wanted to stick with Sanc b/c it was familiar. Countdown and Zealot were poor maps however I still enjoyed watching them being played from tournament to tournament and how teams evolved to play them. I loved Nexus King for this very reason.

Hell I even enjoyed watching some Halo 4 to see pro teams play the new maps and new gametypes (extraction). Even though Halo 4 was very bad mechanically I still enjoyed watching extraction as a gametype.

Dont get me wrong I love my old maps, however I am really tired of watching the same maps being played over and over.

I agree with you and there are many reasons the 3 maps we have are already stale.  First, they've simplified the maps and gameplay in general, so like you said there is no meta and there are fewer trick jumps to help movement (although spring jumping might fix this).  Secondly, Halo 2 evolved a lot, but we are basically playing the same game again so we don't have any where else to go, most of the best strats and stuff were figured out in H2 and there isn't much left to figure out in H2A.  Lastly, they are forcing HCS on us so quickly after launch that players are forced to play the maps a lot in practice or just in the tournaments themselves.  Everybody will get burnt out on this game very quickly without an abundance of forge maps, but hey who cares Halo 5 beta is almost here right?

• Upvote (+1) 1

CLG vs EG scrims just wrapped up. Only caught the last two games but CLG won both (Sanc Slayer and Warlord Bomb). CLG really seems to have an edge in terms of teamwork, I noticed that Snipedown could really use some work with communication (both listening to it and making his own callouts). 

You sir are 100% right (IMO ofc).

This is a spectator sport. Forge maps were a big problem in Reach because they were ugly as sin and changed too often. H2A is a beautiful game, and incredible to watch at 60 FPS. Putting a bunch of gray and bland forge maps in the map rotation is not the answer we are looking for here.

Idk if you have seen the forge yet or not in H2A but it is amazing. It is not bland at all and there are actually colors in it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The wrong was the bold. Maps like midship and onslaught produce the most competitive games and are the most fun for pro players. Obviously not every map should be like this, but there should be a few game types for it.

For every single Halo? I'm sorry, but that's really boring. I still don't understand why you think these basic maps produce the most competitive games when it doesn't require pros to think about anything seeing as it's the same strats from 10 years ago. At no point in playing on those type of maps do pros need to think carefully about where they're pushing or where they should be setting up. 

We should be constantly pushing pros with new designs that makes them adapt and develop new strats over time and will allow for the more skilled pros to shine over the rest.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Extraction was one of the few good things to come out of Halo 4, wish we could have that gametype again in the future. The unfortunate thing about forge world is that even if it looks better now, it doesn't matter. If it isn't a map that is played regularly by the casual Halo player, it's not going to be appealing to the viewers - which is the most important thing nowadays. I learned viewership > "competitive merit" as some people love to say on this forum, when Killa KC removed Heretic Ball for Guardian Ball for the 2010 season because "it was more appealing to viewers" (even though I disagreed). 

This is why it's so important to have a great game out of the box (vanilla). Hopefully in Halo 5 we have many competitive maps and gametypes so we do not get that redundant feeling some of you are talking about. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

At no point in playing on those type of maps do pros need to think carefully about where they're pushing or where they should be setting up. 

Let's not get carried away here lol.  :P

For every single Halo? I'm sorry, but that's really boring. I still don't understand why you think these basic maps produce the most competitive games when it doesn't require pros to think about anything seeing as it's the same strats from 10 years ago. At no point in playing on those type of maps do pros need to think carefully about where they're pushing or where they should be setting up. 

We should be constantly pushing pros with new designs that makes them adapt and develop new strats over time and will allow for the more skilled pros to shine over the rest.

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on these forums. So I guess counterstrike should get rid of dust2, nuke, inferno, and train because they've been played for too long? That's just idiotic.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They are going to win at any map anyways, let them play whats more enjoyable for them/

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah looks like it's getting to a pro vs forum discussion again. Hopefully it doesn't get to heated and we actually get a proper discussion.

Forge maps are a must for H2A, the game only has 3 competitive maps with Ascension being a big push for a fourth. As @@Heinz brought up the point of viewership, this also supports the need of forge maps in a way. Because what is more unappealling to watch than something that a viewer is unfamiliar with? Yes, that's right. Seeing the same maps over and over and over again..

Bringing in 1 or 2 new forge maps that have unique designs and have a great aesthetic appeal to them will make it more enjoyable to watch for both newer and veteran players. Also if the amount of discmaps are more than the amount of forgemaps, the casual viewer will still see a familiar map most of the time.

Right now I would love to see an assymmetrical map for slayer/hill being made and an symmetrical map that compliments Neutral Bomb well.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I guess I'm not a typical veiwer because I would prefer to never have to watch a game of midship played or any of its clones ever again. That doesn't mean I think it is a bad map, it's just stale. The only thing that seperates teams on those maps is their shooting skill, and Halo is (or used to be) about so much more than that.

On the other hand, 9 times out of 10 forge maps look like vomit (this new brown palette certainly doesn't help) so I get why people don't want to watch or play on a map that they aren't familiar with and is also ugly. Additionally every MCC forge map I've seen has the same problems they did in 4 and Reach, they are forged on a massive scale which makes them not ideal for high levels of play.

We are in a really poor situation with only 3 maps being used right now with some pretty awful gametype (sanc bomb, lockout hill/slayer) and no promise of new maps to come. I think we need to really innovate with the maps and gametypes given to us by the developer to make hcs competetive but still refreshing until halo 5.

Static timers or does that fit in with the spectator confusion thing?

Would love some lockout ball but shame they changed the mechanics so the ball rolls too much

The best competitive maps will, imho, bring the most enoyable and intense gameplay and I don´t really see the need to create new maps just to get variation. Football do have the same map all the time ;-)

The quality of the gameplay comes from good players and well drilled team play. And for me, a well known map with that perfect competitive balance is always better than some forged unknown map.

• Upvote (+1) 4

why isn't SAM pro? He knows a lot.....

Taking shots without any explanation or so? Please Coach, enlight us with your awesome Knowledge and Wisdom.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

why isn't SAM pro? He knows a lot.....

You don't need to be a pro to understand game mechanics. Halo is about knowing what to do in a certain situation and executing on it. Halo is an arena shooter, halo is suppose to have maps with a lot of power weapons and power ups spawning fast. That makes the game more complicated since there are more things to account for. It is suppose to have more complex maps than just Onslaught or Simplex. 

Let's not forgot that these quotes came from real pros.

"Bloom > No Bloom" Ogre2

"85% Bloom > No bloom" Chig

"H4> reach> h3> H2 > h1" Ryanoob.

Use reasoning to support your claims, not your pro status. Start showing some damn respect.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is one of the worst posts I've seen on these forums. So I guess counterstrike should get rid of dust2, nuke, inferno, and train because they've been played for too long? That's just idiotic.

And we have multiple gametypes too, for example Lockout slayer and hill play very differently.

Its a tough dilemma, do we add a forge map in for variety, but on the other hand kill the viewership by it being away from default settings. Ascencion hill maybe but its not very balanced for competitive play, nor used in Halo 2 classic MLG.

Is there a settings team at the moment?

You don't need to be a pro to understand game mechanics. Halo is about knowing what to do in a certain situation and executing on it. Halo is an arena shooter, halo is suppose to have maps with a lot of power weapons and power ups spawning fast. That makes the game more complicated since there are more things to account for. It is suppose to have more complex maps than just Onslaught or Simplex. 

Let's not forgot that these quotes came from real pros.

"Bloom > No Bloom" Ogre2

"85% Bloom > No bloom" Chig

"H4> reach> h3> H2 > h1" Ryanoob.

Use reasoning to support your claims, not your pro status.

Well in most games bloom/recoil is better as long as its predictable, take counterstrike for example. I still don't like the idea of it in halo even if it was implemented correctly though. And Ryanoob has terrible opinions on halo games, that's not even debatable at this point.