CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Instead of just telling me I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong? 

Because it sure seems like pros want the same Midship styled maps with basic strats that have been used for 10 years now.

Pros need to be more open minded with maps and not just rubbish them straight away just because they don't find success in the first minute of playing on it. 

The wrong was the bold. Maps like midship and onslaught produce the most competitive games and are the most fun for pro players. Obviously not every map should be like this, but there should be a few game types for it.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You could not be any more(insert raging adjectives here) wrong and shit like this is one of the many reasons I don't visit these forums anymore.

Get a haircut
  • Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You didnt answer anything.

Why do you think they produce the most competitive games?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That map is too big for h2a's speed for anything other than koth

You may be overestimating the size of the map.  It's significantly smaller than Shrine, for example, and only slightly larger than Warlord.  I made it much smaller than the version that was used in Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You didnt answer anything.

Why do you think they produce the most competitive games?

Midship is the most competitive map in H2, I dont know why people would want some grey Forge map instead of Midship or Lockout(Lockdown needs its spawn fixed though) they are just trying to be hipsters. Nobody wants to tune into a H2A tourney and see Grey Forge map #20 like Reach, they want to see the classics being played. I dont see the whole "stale meta" argument either, we already know what works well in a H2-style of game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

As a casual viewer of pro Halo over the years, I can say that there is nothing that turns me off from watching a tournament more than tuning in and seeing a game played on some random forge map that I have never seen before in my life.  It kills all familiarity with the game for me.  I know they are still playing Halo, but I cannot identify with that map so it is not enjoyable to watch. 

I think this was one of Reach's main problems because half of the time when I would tune in, it would be some bland, grey forge map that I had never seen before and it just was not fun to watch.

If they have to add a 4th map, I think it should be Ascension or Zanzibar, or whatever they are called on H2A.  At least they are real maps that people play on a consistent basis.  Or just wait on DLC, if that is ever coming.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Seems to be a bit of confusion about how "FFA Points" are weighted for the HCS on twitter. Rightfully so, as it wasnt really explained very well.

1. HCS Points

2. FFA Points

3. Random Seed

:halo: Simple enough.

Source:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly, I wouldn't mind 1 flag zanzibar/acension and 1 bomb zanzibar. That brings back nostalgia and is fun to play!

• Upvote (+1) 8

Seems to be a bit of confusion about how "FFA Points" are weighted for the HCS on twitter. Rightfully so, as it wasnt really explained very well.

1. HCS Points

2. FFA Points

3. Random Seed

:halo: Simple enough.

SO iron gaming lied? GG

Lol, there is no such thing as changing the meta for halo anymore, if you are talking game play wise. The best thing to do for h2a is to create a midship map and wait for DLC if there is any and enjoy, simply, competition.

You don't actually believe that, right? No offence, but pros opinion shouldn't be the be-all end-all for tournament settings. It's a well known fact that pros, in general, want the same, basic maps over and over again so they never have to relearn any new strats and have the best chance at winning. You need to get out of your comfort zone (not you specifically, pros in general).

From a spectator point of view, watching the same types of maps being played again and again with the same strats is really, really BORING. Considering that without spectators, eSports wouldn't be a thing, I'd think it's important to give spectators a fresh experience over allowing pros to use the same strats from 2004.

Edit: After reading the replies above, I'm glad I'm not the only one who shares this opinion.

You could not be any more(insert raging adjectives here) wrong and shit like this is one of the many reasons I don't visit these forums anymore.

So are we full circle here yet?  

Please explain how you feel because all I can infer from your posts is that you feel the Halo meta could never improve, then ask to remake Onslaught and Midship for H2A to create the most competitive game possible? I'm beginning to think I'm just blocked or something and you don't read any of my points.

All I see is Halo pros who are willing to settle for Midship/Onslaught clones that push mindless linear aggression. Why? Do you just enjoy team-shooting more than anything else in the game? Do you dislike power ups and weapons all together? Two of the maps you requested contain no depth or variables to them.  You want to push those as the most competitive gametypes and have the nerve to laugh at those who would like to change the meta to something deeper?

Of course the meta will never change, cause the developers seem to value pro's opinions who KEEP STATING REMAKE MIDSHIP AND ONSLAUGHT LIKE YOU SAID. Maybe his reasons are wrong, and it's not because you don't feel like learning a new map. However, if the reason is that you just enjoy the older maps compared to the new maps, then it's close enough to the original reason to me. Saying the "creative" maps suck is like writing off Lockout in 05 for sucking. The map was a fun map, but competitively it sucked. Look how it played in 07 though compared to 05. Although I still feel Lockout can be bad for competitive play, teams had figured out the map over the course of the years and developed new strategies. We've had every gametype on Midship already, even KoTH in the playlist. Midship feels like midship and the pushes are entirely the same except for neutral bomb. Onslaught never developed and it's meta was practically forged into it. Nothing to figure out at all, ever.

Anymore and I risk just losing you and not getting a response. I doubt you'd answer this in depth either because, hey whats the point right?

TL;DR settling for 10 year old maps that cycled 3+ years in competitive play in a game that is less competitive than the original is not helping our competitive community grow at all.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The wrong was the bold. Maps like midship and onslaught produce the most competitive games and are the most fun for pro players. Obviously not every map should be like this, but there should be a few game types for it.

Pros having fun>competitive merit, right?

You think riot asks what will make the game more fun for pros before releasing patches for LoL? I guarantee they're all stressing out trying to learn the new summoner's rift right now.

As a casual viewer of pro Halo over the years, I can say that there is nothing that turns me off from watching a tournament more than tuning in and seeing a game played on some random forge map that I have never seen before in my life.  It kills all familiarity with the game for me.  I know they are still playing Halo, but I cannot identify with that map so it is not enjoyable to watch. 

I think this was one of Reach's main problems because half of the time when I would tune in, it would be some bland, grey forge map that I had never seen before and it just was not fun to watch.

If they have to add a 4th map, I think it should be Ascension or Zanzibar, or whatever they are called on H2A.  At least they are real maps that people play on a consistent basis.  Or just wait on DLC, if that is ever coming.

You sir are 100% right (IMO ofc).

This is a spectator sport. Forge maps were a big problem in Reach because they were ugly as sin and changed too often. H2A is a beautiful game, and incredible to watch at 60 FPS. Putting a bunch of gray and bland forge maps in the map rotation is not the answer we are looking for here.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I hope we get a nicer looking forge for H5. Khaki isn't really my thing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pros having fun>competitive merit, right?

You think riot asks what will make the game more fun for pros before releasing patches for LoL? I guarantee they're all stressing out trying to learn the new summoner's rift right now.

Ryanoob plays dota  :ghost:

Since we are talking about maps. I am really tired of Sanctuary. The maps has been played too death. The strategy for the map can not evolve anymore, especially for CTF.

I like Warlord Bomb. Was watching the Gfinity tournament and a team played the gametype in a new way I had never seen. It was very fun to watch and see the other team trying to compete.

Halo 2 classic was very exciting to watch and never got stale b/c of the meta game evolved at individual level (button combos) and at the team level (new strats like green room lockout ball). At the halo 3 level we saw the meta game evolve at the team level (new strats on maps).

However ever since Halo Reach we have made the push towards staying with maps we know rather than develop new maps. In halo reach the community wanted to stick with Sanc b/c it was familiar. Countdown and Zealot were poor maps however I still enjoyed watching them being played from tournament to tournament and how teams evolved to play them. I loved Nexus King for this very reason.

Hell I even enjoyed watching some Halo 4 to see pro teams play the new maps and new gametypes (extraction). Even though Halo 4 was very bad mechanically I still enjoyed watching extraction as a gametype.

Dont get me wrong I love my old maps, however I am really tired of watching the same maps being played over and over.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Saw T Squared was playing a custom with Str8 Sick and Prototype.  Wouldn't Prototype be a natural fit for their fourth?  Are Str8 Sick and Prototype related to each other or friends or something?  I remembered seeing them team up on Classic in Reach 2012.

Saw T Squared was playing a custom with Str8 Sick and Prototype.  Wouldn't Prototype be a natural fit for their fourth?  Are Str8 Sick and Prototype related to each other or friends or something?  I remembered seeing them team up on Classic in Reach 2012.

I'm clueless, who's Prototype? What's his history?

Str8 Sick and Prototype are very good friends, but I thought Str8 Rippin had picked up Xtremist so I don't know how Prototype would fit into the picture. IMO though Prototype is a better player than Xtremist, and would be a natural fit as you mentioned.

I'm clueless, who's Prototype? What's his history?

Played on classic for some time with Russo, Chig, and Str8 Sick during Reach with a couple high placings like 3rd at Anaheim and 4th at Providence. He was also very good at ffas with a couple of wins under his belt. Would be a much better fit for Str8 than xtremist imo. 

Also, EG is playing Cloud9 right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/igoturpistola

• Upvote (+1) 2

Played on classic for some time with Russo, Chig, and Str8 Sick during Reach with a couple high placings like 3rd at Anaheim and 4th at Providence. He was also very good at ffas with a couple of wins under his belt. Would be a much better fit for Str8 than xtremist imo. 

Also, EG is playing Cloud9 right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/igoturpistola

Thanks man! 

Why can't they pick him up? They did awful in that hcs pre season cup :/