CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I was suprised at how BTH preformed at the weekend i thought they would fair better than they did, these guys should have dominated with their individual shots but they didnt and imo legit was the weak link on the team, he isnt as dedicated as the other members (not doubting his talent as he is a beast) but they need someone who will grind the game with them tbh i think they should pick up str8 sick as he is an unbelievable sniper and has a dominant br also 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was suprised at how BTH preformed at the weekend i thought they would fair better than they did, these guys should have dominated with their individual shots but they didnt and imo legit was the weak link on the team, he isnt as dedicated as the other members (not doubting his talent as he is a beast) but they need someone who will grind the game with them tbh i think they should pick up str8 sick as he is an unbelievable sniper and has a dominant br also 

I think you're correct. I believe BtH weren't able to get on and scrim online much because of some personal things Legit had. This really showed with how clueless they looked while playing Lockdown and probably had some communication problems because of that too.

Str8 Sick could be a good pickup but I don't think the members on BtH have a very good relationship with him. Personally I would love to see Naded on BtH because well it would be awesome to have my favorite current player on my favorite team but also Naded will be willing to grind and has some experience playing with Lethul already where they did pretty good at AGL8. Naded is a pretty good br as well. 

Personally I would love to see Naded on BtH because well it would be awesome to have my favorite current player on my favorite team but also Naded will be willing to grind and has some experience playing with Lethul already where they did pretty good at AGL8. Naded is a pretty good br as well. 

I was gonna say naded but i didnt think naded and lethul were on good terms after agl 8 as im fairly sure lethul got him dropped but no doubt naded is a top quality player capable of just going off at any moment plus he is so aggressive which suits lethul and especially apg plus that str8 team dont look to impressive on lan 

I think you're correct. I believe BtH weren't able to get on and scrim online much because of some personal things Legit had. This really showed with how clueless they looked while playing Lockdown and probably had some communication problems because of that too.

Str8 Sick could be a good pickup but I don't think the members on BtH have a very good relationship with him. Personally I would love to see Naded on BtH because well it would be awesome to have my favorite current player on my favorite team but also Naded will be willing to grind and has some experience playing with Lethul already where they did pretty good at AGL8. Naded is a pretty good br as well.

I'm fairly confident Naded is not leaving Str8 Rippin. He stressed prior to this event that he was getting on a team and sticking with it, no more team changing etc.

And I hope BtH does boot Legit off the team. He's one of the scariest players in the game when he's practiced and ready, and something like that would only fuel his fire to succeed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't Formal say he'd be coming back for the championship? I'm curious if that means he'll take someone's place on BTH?

Maybe I missed something.

Cloud 9 should stick together. They were better than I was expecting. And there will probably be something about staying together for most teams in their contracts with their orgs.

Yeah, I honestly didn't expect them to be in top 4 but they made it there. 

There should be a rule in place that makes it so you can't compete in the Season Finals unless you've competed in at least a 1 LAN event during the season. It would be absolute bullshit if Formal and Enable played in the finals in place of Legit and Aries or whoever is on those teams when the time comes. It simply wouldn't be fair that they would be able to do nothing all season and then get a shot at however much prize money the finals will have. If rather the Sudds win than people that haven't touched Halo all season.

• Upvote (+1) 4

There should be a rule in place that makes it so you can't compete in the Season Finals unless you've competed in at least a 1 LAN event during the season. It would be absolute bullshit if Formal and Enable played in the finals in place of Legit and Aries or whoever is on those teams when the time comes. It simply wouldn't be fair that they would be able to do nothing all season and then get a shot at however much prize money the finals will have. If rather the Sudds win than people that haven't touched Halo all season.

I completely agree but Aries is a monster. We all miss 2010 quo but Aries showed up in Columbus, they won't replace him with enable for one event if he's performing like that all season.

Legit, on the other hand...

I wish teams like EG and CLG could use the classic names that we identify those players with.

RoyBox on a team not called Instinct just feels wrong.

Why can't we have EG Instinct and CLG Final Boss? Optic Quo? C9 Triggers Down?

I feel like the stream would gain viewers just from those names existing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I am very surprised that Ogre2 managed to find 3 players to carry him to another event win.  If this keeps up I may have to start thinking he contributes to his team.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 26

I am very surprised that Ogre2 managed to find 3 players to carry him to another event win.  If this keeps up I may have to start thinking he contributes to his team.

I'd like to know how people can say he deserved MVP when he had the least kills, least assists, and most deaths on his team. Sure, stats don't tell the whole story, but they're obviously a huge part.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 11

I wish teams like EG and CLG could use the classic names that we identify those players with.

RoyBox on a team not called Instinct just feels wrong.

Why can't we have EG Instinct and CLG Final Boss? Optic Quo? C9 Triggers Down?

I feel like the stream would gain viewers just from those names existing.

Wall of text incoming. Long answer, but people keep asking this question so I thought I'd give a long response for reference.

TL;DR - We're not gonna have names like "EG Instinct" instead of just "EG" because the orgs are sustainable businesses that are putting money into the scene so they can built their own names, not to pay for the nostalgia factor of the older names for the sake of the fans. If you pay someone to advertise your product, you don't let them sell a different product as well.

No way a big organization would allow something like that nowadays. The biggest problems for orgs allowing teams to keep their old names in their title is that it allows the team to build branding for themselves that's separate from the organization's branding. We even saw this happen in MLG with CoD and Halo teams. When Instinct was sponsored by eon, nobody ever referred to them as "eon Instinct", it was always just "Instinct". I only knew that they were sponsored by eon because the team discussion thread listed that name in the OP and I'm pretty sure that's the only place I ever saw "eon Instinct"./ When Classic was sponsored with fnatic the name was used more frequently, but still not commonly and fnatic failed to gain any increased branding within the Halo community. On forums, kids kept their "Classic Fan" forum banners and just referred to them as only "Classic". MLG wouldn't even list them as "fnatic Classic" half the time they were on stream (they usually just had "Classic" written in the overly) and the fnatic jerseys instead of Classic jerseys were the only big change that most fans would see. Hell, Ghandi would never, ever say the name "fnatic" on MLG's stream. At one point he even asked someone what the hell fnatic even was because he had never heard of it (I think EG was the only big multi-game org that he'd heard of at this point and he pretty much only knew about it because SirScotts was GM of it).

But even if the organization's name gets mentioned (shout outs to the IG casters for stressing the "Noble" in "Noble Reality Check"), it's still bad for the organization because having an extra name there inspires loyalty towards the branding of that team name and not with the organization. Quantic was a pretty major eSports team before it bit the dust and they had three CoD teams at one point. Two of these teams were top 4 teams and the one that would win events was named "Leverage" before signing with Quantic; they went by "Quanitc Leverage" afterwards. After they and the other top team split from Quantic, "Leverage" retained their name and the fans all followed the squad away from Quantic and didn't pay Quanitc any more attention. If Quantic got a new CoD squad, the fans that had just been rooting for "Quantic Leverage" wouldn't care at all about it because they were Leverage fans, not fans of Quantic. When Leverage was picked up by Complexity, they haven't used the name "Leverage" in any way, shape, or form in their official team name since even though two of its original players, Aches and TeePee, made their name as "Leverage".

SirScoots went on multiple rants for a few months when he was GM of EG about teams in various games wanting sponsorships but insisting that they get to keep their old team name and just tack the org's name on front. He spent a good deal of time explaining how an organization with any business sense wouldn't allow this because doing so would result in them pouring lots of resources into a team that would have an image separate of the organization and used Quantic and their CoD sponsorships as an example of an organization having nothing left once their CoD teams left.

Now, I know that there's the argument that "if the team left the org then people would just follow the team under their new name and not give a shit about the org anyways, so why not allow them to be 'EG Instinct' instead of just 'EG'?" In the long run, orgs need to keep their the only name in a team name so they can get fans down the line who will root for their org no matter what their roster is. There aren't many fans who do this, but teams like EG do have a few fans who do root for EG in all games no matter what the roster is just because they're so used to rooting for EG.  But, more importantly, if an org like EG were to allow names like "EG Instinct" they'd also run the risk of having sponsors like Monster going "hmm, we sponsored EG Instinct and now that Instinct is separate from EG we're gonna sponsor Instinct instead of EG because we think that's a better image for our product". If the team name is just "EG" and EG drops the team, Monster thinks "we can sponsor a known name in EG or a new name in whatever the team decides to name themselves..I think we'll stick to sponsoring EG, who can just buy another top squad and put our stickers on them" instead. (This is an oversimplification of the process, but I hope that I've still expressed the reasons why an org would want their name to be the only one in a team name due to long term goals regarding fans and sponsors)

But even if that weren't the case, it's still good for the org just because it keeps their name relevant when people think about a squad's past accomplishment. If I were to say "picture the godsquad winning their first Halo 3 event and then picture them winning their first Reach event" people would have the image of four guys in Instinct jerseys without an eon logo and they'd be referred to as "Instinct" and not "eon Instinct". Consequently, if two month ago I were to tell a CoD fan to "picture TeePee and Aches winning the official Cod Championship" they'd have the image of TeePee and Aches in coL jerseys and refer to their squad at the time as "Complexity" and not as "Leverage". Even though TeePee and Aches would've been on EG two months ago, you wouldn't be able to think of their past accomplishments without the branding of Complexity's log and name coming to mind, long after they had stopped sponsoring that squad. That's good, proper branding that gets the successful teams like EG and coL big sponsors. Teams like Nobel might benefit from simply getting their name out there, but bigger teams don't need to sponsor Halo if they don't want to, so if they do then it'll be on their terms and in a way that justifies the risk of putting money into a smaller community.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ogre 2 was wearing FB pants all tournament long so at least they can still semi-represent the old teams in spirit. As long as I can pretend its FB vs Instinct knowing the history of the game I dont really care.

Also lol @ Ogre getting carried to 40 major event wins(60+counting 1v1/FFA/2v2) and a near 50 percent win rate in tournaments. He went HUGE in that series vs EG in clutch time in both slayers and dropped a 38 bomb on the Warlock KOTH game. Royal 2 deserved MVP though in my opinion, dude was slaying all tourney long. That last Shrine slayer game Snipedown had what 1 assist even though he had most kills for his team? That pretty much explains the difference between Ogre 2's and Snipedown's playstyle. People expecting him to mainslay every series like in the FB days are delusional, thats like expecting Jordan to still average 30 late into his career. All he cares about is winning and his playstyle and attitude reflects that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like to know how people can say he deserved MVP when he had the least kills, least assists, and most deaths on his team. Sure, stats don't tell the whole story, but they're obviously a huge part.

In the highest of levels of halo, positioning, decision making, and communication make the differences. All of which Ogre 2 is the best at.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Everybody's living in the past...

Please explain. 

In the highest of levels of halo, positioning, decision making, and communication make the differences. All of which Ogre 2 is the best at.

Not to mention when the pressure is the greatest, no one does it better. Absolutely no one. Him and his brother have always had ice running through their veins.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If I recall,

(1) Clutched the winning sneak cap on Sanc flag vs EG.

(2) Got the 7 of the kills or so after the 40kill mark on the Warlock TS win vs EG. 17-11 game?

(3) Got the kills with shotty at sniper at the end of the game on Lockdown TS vs EG.

(4) 19 kill game on Sanc TS vs EG.

mmmmmmm and probably missing some others

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not to mention when the pressure is the greatest, no one does it better. Absolutely no one. Him and his brother have always had ice running through their veins.

That's a fact. People should just take a peek at his stats from the game 5's against EG.