CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

The evil geniuses news would be huge. That roster is a Godsquad too, but I think people have been anticipating that anyway.

Any "godsquad" without Ogre2 is just a demigod squad

• Upvote (+1) 8

More Totz slander SMH, go watch any of the tournaments that he played on tD, all you're gonna hear is Totz calling out. No one communicated as much and few did as well as Totz did. You can say that it was because he knew he was the least skilled or whatever, but he played with two people who are known for not talking for stretches and he kept the communication alive

• Upvote (+1) 2

Tweeted Naded and he said he already has a team just waiting to announce it.

Also tweeted Roy and he said his team announcement will be this week sometime.

More Totz slander SMH, go watch any of the tournaments that he played on tD, all you're gonna hear is Totz calling out. No one communicated as much and few did as well as Totz did. You can say that it was because he knew he was the least skilled or whatever, but he played with two people who are known for not talking for stretches and he kept the communication alive

Speaking truth. Anyone that bashes totz is just ********. You aren't going to place top 3 during that time of Halo 3 unless you're good. I don't care how good the other 3 are.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Tweeted Naded and he said he already has a team just waiting to announce it.

Also tweeted Roy and he said his team announcement will be this week sometime.

That should essentially confirm that Naded is on Str8 Rippin, but I have no clue who the 3rd and 4th will be. Probably Legit and RyaNoob. Still 95% sure Roy's team is Roybox and Snip3Ola. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

That should essentially confirm that Naded is on Str8 Rippin, but I have no clue who the 3rd and 4th will be. Probably Legit and RyaNoob. Still 95% sure Roy's team is Roybox and Snip3Ola. 

Str8Sick is still on the team as far as we know. He left Isolation already. Also Lethul said RyaNoob is a to2 with Goofy.

The thing with Totz is that he was basically the opposite of a flashy player, and at the time, breaking out of the amateur\semi-pro status meant you had to be flashy. because many people thought it was his family's money that got him on the TD squad,  and since his stats weren't great he got a lot of hate. I was never a fan of TD but I do think that no matter the circumstances of how he got pro status (not saying one way or the other,) he deserved his spot. The problem was there were plenty of other players that were smart and communicated a lot that would have done well on a pro team but couldnt get there because you had to be flashy to get noticed.

Totz' family did quite a bit for the Halo/MLG scene back in the day (even if they made money off it, what was that website called? i forget.)

He doesn't deserve the hate he got/gets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing with Totz is that he was basically the opposite of a flashy player, and at the time, breaking out of the amateur\semi-pro status meant you had to be flashy. because many people thought it was his family's money that got him on the TD squad,  and since his stats weren't great he got a lot of hate. I was never a fan of TD but I do think that no matter the circumstances of how he got pro status (not saying one way or the other,) he deserved his spot. The problem was there were plenty of other players that were smart and communicated a lot that would have done well on a pro team but couldnt get there because you had to be flashy to get noticed.

Totz' family did quite a bit for the Halo/MLG scene back in the day (even if they made money off it, what was that website called? i forget.)

He doesn't deserve the hate he got/gets.

The Lan Network is what you're thinking of and you're right. Totz wasn't that bad, he did a lot for his team and his family did a lot for everyone. He just wasn't Snip3down or whatever. His shot was actually good and he communicated well but he was just insanely aggressive, probably too aggressive, while playing with at least one person that was the polar opposite. IF he was actually as bad as everyone said he was his team wouldn't have been able to carry him constantly.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Was watching Snakebite and 2gre earlier, Snake said that he expected Cloud to BtH, the RoyBox SnipOla god squad to EG and that The Agency players had other offers. Also, Goldenboy on Bomb Planted, hinted at another big team announcement like the CLG pick up. All of this leads me to believe that this EG rumor is true.

Speaking truth. Anyone that bashes totz is just ********. You aren't going to place top 3 during that time of Halo 3 unless you're good. I don't care how good the other 3 are.

This. Totz towards the end of Halo 3 was a solid player. You can't backpack your way to a top 4 finish; everyone has to pull their weight one way or another.

Hopefully with these organisations and such all coming to pick up Halo teams, we'll see an increase in teams sticking together. I for one was always frustrated at the team changes, it's why it was so easy to support Str8 Rippin back in 08/09, they had good players that I liked, but they actually stuck together as well.

Team changes are just part of how esports works. the only thing that might make it a little less of a headache is if HCS puts some sort of "locked roster" rule into effect for duration of any given season.

EG coming to halo would be absolutely insane. Hurt to hear rumours of Roybox, ola and snipedown.  It doesn't seem right with snipedown instead of Ogre2. 

Wishing Enable would come back to Halo too 

Both Snipedown and Roy followed EG on twitter pretty recently if that means anything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Team changes are just part of how esports works. the only thing that might make it a little less of a headache is if HCS puts some sort of "locked roster" rule into effect for duration of any given season.

Team changes may be apart of eSports, but they happen at what seems like a much higher rate in Halo than in other games. I think this is because Halo was structured around having only one competition every two or three months with teams from a single region breaking up within that time period if they didn't get a top three or so finish. Contrast this with other games like LoL, Dota2, CS, etc. where teams have online tournaments very frequently, so they end up trying out their rosters longer. And if they do make a team change, it's usually only one or two players out of a five team roster that are being switched out, so you still have a majority of the players around and that helps with branding since it doesn't feel like a completely new team has been formed very time a team change happens.

Former EG general manager SirScoots (who has done plenty of production work for MLG during the Halo days) said in Reddit AMAs (back when he was still EG's GM) that EG had an eye on Halo but wasn't ever going to make the move unless they were sure that they could sign a team that could provide some sort of roster consistency over time because it would be a poor investment if the Halo squad they signed made a big team change and then placed very poorly in the next event.

I love having all the Halo team changes because they keep entertainment up in between events, but you can't deny that the team changes in Halo are quite more frequent than in other eSports and that this could make organizations a bit more hesitant at signing Halo squads.

So I just asked a whole bunch of pros on twitter if they know who they are teaming with and got a couple of answers. Just a quick summary of what they answered:

Roy: Has a team, waiting to announce it sometime this week

Naded: Has a team, waiting to announce it "soon"

Lethul: Still hasn't found a fourth

SK: Still hasn't found a team and says he might not attend the IG event even

Ace: Has a team, waiting to announce it

Assault: Has an idea who he'll be teaming with

Cloud: Still hasn't found a team

• Upvote (+1) 2

So APG just favourited my tweet that he should join Str8 Rippin. Probably means nothing but you never know.

APG is known to favorite pretty much anything.

His communication was amazing. Not a lot of people told their teammates more clearly what was going on and how to play as a team through chat than Totz. He was very good at that. He was also always willing to die to reach the objective, or attain what he considered was more important than his own life. That's a very rare attribute in any tier of Halo gameplay. There are thousands of stawhores that play the game, willing to fluff up their stats in the hope of looking better because of it. There's very few that will really die for the win. 

Now his decision making process on deciding when to die was not always the smartest, but he was better than most at achieving something with each life.

I strongly disagree ... I watched basically everything on TLN and heard all of the communication when he was on TD (and a fair amount of his scrims with FB with FiS and Ninja).  He made so many terrible decisions that teammates were calling him out constantly, and his communication was not that good (he talked a lot but didn't SAY much of importance).  Totz was good at baiting himself, and he had a good shot (if MLG had its archives up, you could watch his FPVOD from his early games on SQ, his shot is literally insane), but he wasn't anywhere close to the complete package as a player.  You can judge this from his scores in practice FFAs (he always had the least kills) and his stats in tournaments (usually around -150 k/d with not as many assists as you might think).  He's still a pretty good player, because no one can be carried to a 2nd place finish, but seriously, he wasn't that good

• Upvote (+1) 2

Team changes may be apart of eSports, but they happen at what seems like a much higher rate in Halo than in other games. I think this is because Halo was structured around having only one competition every two or three months with teams from a single region breaking up within that time period if they didn't get a top three or so finish. Contrast this with other games like LoL, Dota2, CS, etc. where teams have online tournaments very frequently, so they end up trying out their rosters longer. And if they do make a team change, it's usually only one or two players out of a five team roster that are being switched out, so you still have a majority of the players around and that helps with branding since it doesn't feel like a completely new team has been formed very time a team change happens.

Former EG general manager SirScoots (who has done plenty of production work for MLG during the Halo days) said in Reddit AMAs (back when he was still EG's GM) that EG had an eye on Halo but wasn't ever going to make the move unless they were sure that they could sign a team that could provide some sort of roster consistency over time because it would be a poor investment if the Halo squad they signed made a big team change and then placed very poorly in the next event.

I love having all the Halo team changes because they keep entertainment up in between events, but you can't deny that the team changes in Halo are quite more frequent than in other eSports and that this could make organizations a bit more hesitant at signing Halo squads.

Part of the reason the rosters change so often is the fact that most top pros have teamed with every other top pro at this point, so its easier for people to make a change on a whim because they usually know the people no matter what, and there aren't any huge contracts deterring them. 

I feel like consistent rosters are better for the longevity of a game, because if people don't stick to a team very long, the fanbase follows the player over the org, which is good for the player, but the org may decide that it isn't worth staying in Halo, which is bad for everyone.

Think about the biggest teams in Halo: Final Boss and Str8 Rippin. The consistent, dominant roster is what got people to become a fan of the TEAM not only the players in it.