CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I can understand the prize pool being a frustrating thing. As stated before, this "league" is new. It has started out rough and it sucks but with a little trial and error, things can get better. Sticking it out and doing our best to make sure we show support for this franchise we all love will only help. Give input in a professional manor, go to events, watch the stream or hell, leave the stream up if you've got work and other responsibilities that stop you from watching the entire event. If we want this, we have to work for it. Shit just can't be handed to us.as for the state of the actual game...that's another issue in itself. Game is still broken and has plenty of issues to fix. The game should have worked straight from the box but the fact is it didn't. We have a right to be angry. But boycotting the game and the league puts us right back to where we were before HCS was started. With nothing. I'd rather not go without having tournaments again. Just my 2 cents.

I totally agree, but HCS is a completely different group of 343 employees. So going off on HCS itself isn't the right way to do it, IMO 

I don't know, I understand the frustration, but I think that it is being blown out of proportion.

Instead of quoting all of your posts, just going to say I agree with what you are saying.

Couldn't of said it any better.

Does anyone know of any F/As for G4G? Please reply with their GT/twitter. Thanks!

These pros imo need to just be happy that there are events to go to. The comparison to Cod seriously needs to stop. COD is a multiplatform title which means more viewership and more money in tourney prizepool.

How about the pros start to grow the community by making content besides streaming. I see them complaining a lot but they need to put in work and not only rely on tournament money. It would be great for them to start making content and help bring in the casual fanbase just like Optic and other cod organizations did. Its time to start growing  the competitive scene bringing more casual fans in terms of viewerships and maybe even help bring players to compete. These pros need to make youtube content. Idk why most of them just rely on streaming. Most of them have a good amount of followers and refuse to make halo youtube content. It will help bring more casual players to the competitive scene and help these pros get sponsors and some money on the side. 

Look at Flamesword. Yes i know being on Optic is helping him out a lot but at least he understands that making content is a good idea for the pros to make some cash on the side and help bring casuals and even some of the cod fanbase to Halo. I still dont get why they refuse to get the right equipment to start making some good quality Halo content.

Hopefully T2 does leave. Str8 might actually win a tourney then.

Then its not Str8 Rippin. He can leave and I won't mind, but that team won't have any right to use the Str8 Rippin name. 

I agree whole-heartedly with @@Mikwen on all his comments. Its a new league, its a thousand times better than what it was before. There's almost at least $1,000 on the line every weekend (could we have said that before?), supplemented by larger tournaments sporadically throughout the year. The HCS structure has also been different than the old MLG system: we'd have a larger prize pot for the MLG tournaments, but there was only an event every 3-4 months. The HCS sanctioned events have a smaller prize pot, but we're going to have 3-4 events in the same amount of time, and probably have a similar prize pot (if not larger) overall. 

The new structure is great for teams under an organisation, where flight costs and the related charges are either mitigated or covered by the organisations themselves. However, for those competitors that don't have an org (like Str8 Rippin), you end up having to pay a lot of money on flight costs alone. I think the new structure has a lot of potential. Pretty much every weekend now, you can turn on twitch and watch competitive Halo, be it an ESL online cup or a sanctioned HCS event. Once the kinks get worked out, and prize money slowly increases, then you're going to be looking at more money, more consistently, with more competitive Halo being played,

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still don't think 50k for a 4 month "season" is anywhere near bad. People keep comparing Halo to CoD (which is a much bigger eSport right now), and say we need upwards of 100k for a season final. The last season final for CoD was invite only and paid out 75k. Yes, CoD has Champs which is put on by Activision and its a $1m tournament, and yes I would love to reach that point, but we are 2 tournaments in to HCS right now. The biggest issue with HCS is the game, and the game is why we aren't getting viewers. Enormous amounts of downtime, games crashing, lack of maps, etc. The prize pool is not the reason we lack viewers.

I also understand as a pro Halo player, it probably sucks to see CoD tournaments paying out more, but that reality is that Halo is not in a position to be paying out more than it currently is. With a solid game as a foundation, good advertising, sponsors, etc viewership will rise, and in turn so will the Prize pools. For now, if you want to win Money in Halo you need to win, which is what teams should be aiming for anyway. In the meantime, keep pushing for the game to fixed, and if you really feel like 50k is too low, then keep pressing for more. Not showing up to tournaments isn't going to help fix either problem.

This is 100% the truth. 

The last tournament the grand finals went on until like what, 2 in the morning? While COD finished off at an easy like 6 or 7 in the evening. Downtime in between games + running a pointless FFA screwed that last tournament's viewers. + COD having an event probably screwed viewers too. Hard to not switch over to them when I watch one halo game and then COD has a whole series in between two games

Look at Flamesword. Yes i know being on Optic is helping him out a lot but at least he understands that making content is a good idea for the pros to make some cash on the side and help bring casuals and even some of the cod fanbase to Halo. I still dont get why they refuse to get the right equipment to start making some good quality Halo content.

Because Microsoft is evil and you can't monetize halo content on youtube, that's why they don't bother

And I don't blame them

• Downvote (-1) 1

My biggest gripe about the HCS is the lack of promotion. 

I was kinda shocked seeing all the people asking what it was on Reddit. Can't say I disagree, 3 tweets an event isn't going to cut it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Yeah, I'm really surprised with how little they're promoting events in THEIR OWN LEAGUE especially as it's their first season. You want people to get involved and start watching... maybe use your official Twitter account with 500k followers more.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Because Microsoft is evil and you can't monetize halo content on youtube, that's why they don't bother

And I don't blame them

Short term money doesn't equal long term profits. Doesn't matter you can't monetize it you're building a brand. Brand recognition makes it possible to attract sponsors and generate a mainstream appeal. This builds a stable business than can generate long term income. Flamesword understands this which is why he partnered with optic. If you're gonna make business decisions only thinking about the immediate return and not the long term benefits you'll never grow and never be successful.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, I'm really surprised with how little they're promoting events in THEIR OWN LEAGUE especially as it's their first season. You want people to get involved and start watching... maybe use your official Twitter account with 500k followers more.

Going off of that....why hasn't there been any major promotion for HCS? 343 made a commerical that has pretty good airtime for MCC...this is a great opportunity to make another and advertise the HCS. It doesn't even have to be a big fancy commercial...just show a few classic Halo 2 clips from tournaments and people getting excited, then cut to some H2A clips from recent events and then promote the HCS as a way for Halo fans to get back into the competitive scene and relive those epic tournament moments. I would be hesitant for them to go full throttle with advertising when their game isn't really working that well, but I would honestly rather see it promoted than not promoted.

I live in WA state and haven't been able to make any of the events this year...has there been any local advertising at least in the city/region it is being hosted? If the next event is in Ann Arbor I'm sure there are college kids there who would love to show up and play but don't even know this league or event exists.

I just checked out the G4G website....they are hosting a Peggle 2 Championship. Now I REALLY wish I could go.

I think that the root of the problem here is that 343, unlike many other games, does not quite yet understand that the hardcore competitive scene is some of their most loyal, dedicated, and engaged fanbase. We play their games, typically, long after most other people have walked away from the game. We play it more, for longer, than the majority of the rest of the fanbase. That means we buy their game, encourage others to compete and play with us, and buy all their DLC because their maps go into our settings. We put a tremendous amount of money into their game.

What CoD has done an excellent job of is turning that hardcore base of players and turned them into rockstars. All of their casual players consequently look at them as their "gold standard", and emulate them on what they should be doing. Their fans consequently buy all the DLC too, and eat, breath and sleep their game. CoD has bridged the gap so to speak between the competitive and the casuals, All players are, for the most part, on the same playing field: there are no "filthy casuals", or "hardcore elitists", there are just players.

Halo does not have this. There is a massive, deeply entrenched gap between us and them, and 343 has not done enough to change that. They do not promote our tournaments, they do not try to erase the gap that exists between our two communities. We are different, and the HCS will never truly take off until 343 does an adequate job of merging both communities to the best of their ability. That takes promotion.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Going off of that....why hasn't there been any major promotion for HCS? 343 made a commerical that has pretty good airtime for MCC...this is a great opportunity to make another and advertise the HCS. It doesn't even have to be a big fancy commercial...just show a few classic Halo 2 clips from tournaments and people getting excited, then cut to some H2A clips from recent events and then promote the HCS as a way for Halo fans to get back into the competitive scene and relive those epic tournament moments. I would be hesitant for them to go full throttle with advertising when their game isn't really working that well, but I would honestly rather see it promoted than not promoted.

I live in WA state and haven't been able to make any of the events this year...has there been any local advertising at least in the city/region it is being hosted? If the next event is in Ann Arbor I'm sure there are college kids there who would love to show up and play but don't even know this league or event exists.

It dose not take much to promote even the smallest amount. Pay youtubers to talk about it. Run a add in the MCC anything would help. For instance at UGC a simple sign in front of the Hotel would have probably brought in new comers that had no idea there was a event going on there. Unless you got lost in the hotel and stumble upon a hard to find room you would have no clue it was there. I actually saw a family with there 2 kids that just so happen to be staying at the hotel find event by accident and they were blown away.  They stayed for a bit got some swag and now may become fans. I am sure their kids will want to play Halo now. Its not hard to do. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was kinda shocked seeing all the people asking what it was on Reddit. Can't say I disagree, 3 tweets an event isn't going to cut it.

I made a post in the feedback thread after the first event saying that they really need to promote HCS a lot more. It's going to cost them a lot of money they may not get back at all but it needs to be done to give it a fighting chance.

This is an investment for 343 and Microsoft, you can't just wait for people to start watching before you up prize money and have a larger budget you need it right when you start up or you're growth is going to be limited. We should be seeing Web ads everywhere, TV ads, we should see it advertised in MCC and pumped into peoples brains on Twitch.

It dose not take much to promote even the smallest amount. Pay youtubers to talk about it. Run a add in the MCC anything would help. For instance at UGC a simple sign in front of the Hotel would have probably brought in new comers that had no idea there was a event going on there. Unless you got lost in the hotel and stumble upon a hard to find room you would have no clue it was there. I actually saw a family with there 2 kids that just so happen to be staying at the hotel find event by accident and they were blown away.  They stayed for a bit got some swag and now may become fans. I am sure their kids will want to play Halo now. Its not hard to do. 

See, that is just crazy to me. At least spend a little time advertising in the town you want to host a tournament. Put up some posters, have someone go to any local game store and just hang out for a bit and talk to people about it. It can't possibly be that difficult or expensive to do. If they had an event around where I live, I'd be doing it for next to nothing just to get more people there and get them excited for Halo.

I'm 100% positive they're not promoting it because they know it's broken and that general audiences are not going to watch events with all the constant restarts. 

Right now we (the competitive community) are basically the only people watching these events, aside from the few who happen to catch it on the Twitch Front Page, and I'm certain MS/343 are consciously not promoting it because it's so awful to watch. They'll start promoting it as soon as we're on Halo 5, I guarantee it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think that the root of the problem here is that 343, unlike many other games, does not quite yet understand that the hardcore competitive scene is some of their most loyal, dedicated, and engaged fanbase. We play their games, typically, long after most other people have walked away from the game. We play it more, for longer, than the majority of the rest of the fanbase. That means we buy their game, encourage others to compete and play with us, and buy all their DLC because their maps go into our settings. We put a tremendous amount of money into their game.

What CoD has done an excellent job of is turning that hardcore base of players and turned them into rockstars. All of their casual players consequently look at them as their "gold standard", and emulate them on what they should be doing. Their fans consequently buy all the DLC too, and eat, breath and sleep their game. CoD has bridged the gap so to speak between the competitive and the casuals, All players are, for the most part, on the same playing field: there are no "filthy casuals", or "hardcore elitists", there are just players.

Halo does not have this. There is a massive, deeply entrenched gap between us and them, and 343 has not done enough to change that. They do not promote our tournaments, they do not try to erase the gap that exists between our two communities. We are different, and the HCS will never truly take off until 343 does an adequate job of merging both communities to the best of their ability. That takes promotion.

This is so accurate.I would add to this though, and I know that it's already been discussed, creating content is also a big factor in this. Casual audiences run to CoD because the players are constantly creating content. Since most Halo pros are from the era where content didn't really play a big role in popularity, we don't really see them creating much. That needs to change if we want Halo back on top. 

Besides all this stuff, I'm interested in what teams, if any, will be trying to make changes before the 50k tourney. I know people are bitching right now but honestly we are gonna attend it, it's not a finals worthy event but 50k is just like MLG events and pros will want to go. I could see a few teams making changes before this event to get a good start iti season 2 and to try to make sure they do good in the 1 prize pool that's worth it.

I can see optic str8 and bth all making changes but I don't know any specifics.

Yes this is the que to start the "you're getting dropped for ola" replies.

Could definitely see BtH, Cloud 9, Optic, str8, and maybe even Denial all switching up squads during the transfer period. Wouldn't expect CLG or EG to change though.

Who would you expect to be dropped/leave Optic? Because personally I don't think the old SQ trio are going to be splitting up, but I could see APG for Aries. Still don't know if that would be a good change though, Aries has looked really good since teaming with them. 

Could definitely see Ninja being replaced on Cloud 9, never thought he really "fit in" on that team. Goofy for T2 wouldn't be a bad change for Str8(or whatever their name would be without T2). 

Should be interesting to see what happens. All it takes is one team change and it will create a chain reaction of team changes. 

When's the next transfer period? There could be a lot of team changes soon, especially gearing up for the finals. BtH is in a position to get picked apart at this point, and I think that could lead to a pretty big hurricane here.

It seems to be settling down by now, but still felt the need to give my $0.02 on the prize money issue:

343 has committed to the following: $50k for a season finals, $10k to G4G, $10k to UGC, $5k to IG, probably another $10k to the European wildcard (not sure how much of the $20k+ prizepool was contributed by 343), all the travel expenses for the European team to attend season 1 finals.

So 343 is spending $85k in prize pool + travel costs for five Europeans + production costs for the season 1 finals at PAX East (which probably can't be cheap). All for three to four months worth of HCS.  And that's 343's contributions alone, it doesn't factor in the prize money provided by tournament organizers themselves.

343 will probably make the year finals even bigger in terms of prize pool and if more tournament organizers threw national LANs in season 2, the amount of prize money given away by 343 alone in season 2 could pass $100k substantially (since 343 gives money to pretty much any national LAN thrown by other tournament organizers).

Considering the fact that few people play or watch this game because it's broken as all hell and the franchise needed to recover from H4 anyways, I'd say we've received a pretty good amount of money from 343 give how short a period of time this stuff has been running. Even if season 2 has the same amount of prize money a season 1 and the year finals is only $100k, we're still looking at $350k prize money from 343 and tournament organizers combined for an HCS that ran only 9 months on a game that's broken as all fuck.

And top players have access to sponsorships and organizations to help them with costs or even offer salaries. Games like TF2 and UMvC3 have thousands of competitive tournament players who are busting their asses but those games can't even get $50k in 12 months in prize money from all their events combined. 343 never said that HCS would be a new professional league that would support professional players ("professional" as in "I don't have another job because playing Halo is my job", not "pro" the way MLG taught us to liberally used the term). They just set up a structure so that we could play competitively and it's up to us to grow the scene into something that supports professional play. So it's complete bullshit to call the prize money they're giving low enough to be "slave labor", nobody ever told you that you would have enough money from a top 8 finish to quit your day job.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Holy shit is that AGL Brad in the Smite stream?!? Calling himself Hirez Brad now.

The fact that dude has an occupation in the gaming scene is hysterical. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

343 has committed to the following: $50k for a season finals, $10k to G4G, $10k to UGC, $5k to IG, probably another $10k to the European wildcard (not sure how much of the $20k+ prizepool was contributed by 343), all the travel expenses for the European team to attend season 1 finals.

The European event is giving out 10,000€ (roughly $12,000), either for 1st place or that's the entire prize pool, I'm not entirely sure which...maybe both but I doubt that.

Also Gfinity have been doing £300 prize pool tournaments twice a week for the past 10 or so weeks now for Halo, and are continuing to do them for the foreseeable future.

So right now in Europe we're pretty happy with the money being thrown out, it's by far and away more than we've seen in years for this game. 

• Upvote (+1) 2