CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

How would you theoretically want them to make that roster? Just keep the current lineup and switch to that after Season 1 ends, go straight for it for G4G and give up all their HCS points and hope they place very well at G4G, or drop Maniac/Clutch next roster change period and then drop the other the following roster change period?

I guess it would probably be best to wait until season 2 for top 8 teams to make changes, at which point there will be many more free agents available anyway. I'm not up do date on roster change periods or how to retain HCS points mid season. And it's not necessarily that I want to see BtH split up, it just that the current team is going nowhere fast and those 4 players make sense chemistry wise based on previous times those individuals have teamed together.

Besides all this stuff, I'm interested in what teams, if any, will be trying to make changes before the 50k tourney. I know people are bitching right now but honestly we are gonna attend it, it's not a finals worthy event but 50k is just like MLG events and pros will want to go. I could see a few teams making changes before this event to get a good start iti season 2 and to try to make sure they do good in the 1 prize pool that's worth it.

I can see optic str8 and bth all making changes but I don't know any specifics.

Yes this is the que to start the "you're getting dropped for ola" replies.

You're getting dropped for Suddoth 2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was all rumors, there was the rumor there'd be two 500k finals, then one 1M tourney, but it's simple. Microsoft needs to see a reason to throw money like that at Halo, which is why there will probably be 2 50k finals then talks of prize pools like that may happen.

I just don't get why everyone is up in arms, 50k every 3-4 months is pretty damn close to what MLG has for CoD right now (taking away there special events) We've already had a 15k and a 24k tourney since HCS started. The whole "slave labor" shit is just annoying to read, you're playing a video game, it's not that hard.

(This doesn't count the pre-release tournaments)

I dont even compete and I can understand why people are upset.

CoD is having its 3rd Million dollar tournament + UMG/MLG events on a consistent basis, and our official "league" isnt even coming close to anything like that. Not to mention we dont even have a stable game, + what? 3 Competitive maps (they had a chance to add another one but choose to remake RELIC???) its simply reaching ridiculous heights. 

People keep saying "Oh its a tester season!"  NO IT ISNT. IT IS SEASON 1 OF THE HCS - If they wanted to "TEST" things out they should have held a 3 month pre-season of LAN events.  There are also so many resources to point at for guidance there is no excuse for any of this.

It is like CoD is our neighbor who pulls up in a Lamborghini every day which we are forced to see - while we are riding around in a rusty honda civic. Of course people are going to be mad. 

Also I feel like farming these events out to smaller organizers is kind of a mistake. Like it is cool to see "community growth" but ESL/343 need to be hosting the MAJORITY of these events, right now its the other way around which makes no sense at all.  

100% does not even feel like a league.  They have hosted pre-release tournaments and will be hosting the season 1 final. They should be dominating the space hosting a majority of the tournaments throughout the season, while working with a select group of tournament organizers in the community. 

12-30_hcs-roadmap-season1-c01d16b8098342

Point is: Community sanctioned events should not be the majority of the events in the official HCS league.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'd rather HCS die due to boycott & lack of attendance as a reflection of both the laughable release and subsequent piss-poor handling of MCC, as well as 343's apparent continued resistance to listen to the Halo community with regards to things like sprint (for just one recent example).

Honestly, HCS is supposed to bolster the competitive Halo community; revive it, even. The same community that has, for the past 5 years, pleaded in unison for sprint to be removed from Halo (at the very least, removed from traditional arena / competitive areas of the multiplayer; in other words, from everything barring maybe BTB) to which 343 has arrogantly dismissed and even snidely retaliated against in some cases.

They want and expect this community's support, all whilst ignoring many of our most basic desires for competitive Halo for several years and game releases in a franchise who's best years were served during a time that reflects those most basic desires? That's an insult, frankly. I'm glad I am not invested in competing at this stage of things, because it would make my complete resistance to continue supporting this downward-spiraling franchise & arrogantly dismissive company responsible for it all the more heartbreaking than it already is.

I never thought I'd see the day where I would say that I'd rather see the Halo franchise die rather than limp on, continuing to sacrifice what little of it's identity & unique qualities it has left under the veil of "evolving" and "modernizing", which ultimately has simply resorted to a process of shedding it's proven & famed core mechanics and values in favour of generic, cookie-cutter gimmicks from the vast majority of the many other FPS games on the market today.

Halo is a terminal loved one that I've looked after, taken care of, and fooled myself for some time into thinking could continue to survive despite it's condition. But as it stands, I'd rather pull the plug and ease it's suffering than continue to let it's life slowly erode for my own selfish reasons and empty hope for some miraculous cure that is quite evidently never going to come.

Sorry for the rant, one I make at risk of soundin over-dramatic, but it's honestly what & how I feel at the current moment. Alas, I'm just one man, though. So take it for what you will :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dont even compete and I can understand why people are upset.

CoD is having its 3rd Million dollar tournament + UMG/MLG events on a consistent basis, and our official "league" isnt even coming close to anything like that. Not to mention we dont even have a stable game, + what? 3 Competitive maps (they had a chance to add another one but choose to remake RELIC???) its simply reaching ridiculous heights. 

People keep saying "Oh its a tester season!"  NO IT ISNT. IT IS SEASON 1 OF THE HCS - If they wanted to "TEST" things out they should have held a 3 month pre-season of LAN events.  There are also so many resources to point at for guidance there is no excuse for any of this.

It is like CoD is our neighbor who pulls up in a Lamborghini every day which we are forced to see - while we are riding around in a rusty honda civic. Of course people are going to be mad. 

Also I feel like farming these events out to smaller organizers is kind of a mistake. Like it is cool to see "community growth" but ESL/343 need to be hosting the MAJORITY of these events, right now its the other way around which makes no sense at all.  

100% does not even feel like a league.  They have hosted pre-release tournaments and will be hosting the season 1 final. They should be dominating the space hosting a majority of the tournaments throughout the season, while working with a select group of tournament organizers in the community. 

Point is: Community sanctioned events should not be the majority of the events in the official HCS league.

so are you saying Halo should have a million $ tournament for 3-4 month season   

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No, he's saying the prizing should be at least more than the glitches in the game.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is that really what you took away from his post? If so that's pretty pathetic.

...No?

I am saying pros are getting upset because the format is odd + when you constantly see Call of Duty raining cash out of the sky it would be pretty frustrating?

I personally dont think MCC deserves a million dollar tournament, the game is not even fully functional. Save it for Halo 5, if it works. 

Multiple million dollar tournies is unrealistic. But for a season final to have a mere 50k total prize pool is a joke.The prize pool for a season final should be no less than 150-200k. In this day in age, you gotta throw money in on something if you want to give it a chance at succeeding. The prize pool for the pre release tourney in November was 50k, and now they're going to have a season final with the exact same prize pool? That's just ridiculous. Look at all the risks MLG made back in the day with paying out as much money as they did, and that was years ago. 343/ESL can't possibly be surprised to have people being upset with such a low prize pool. Hell if you want people to watch a game that doesn't even work, there better be more money on the line than 50k total.

...No?

I am saying pros are getting upset because the format is odd + when you constantly see Call of Duty raining cash out of the sky it would be pretty frustrating?

I personally dont think MCC deserves a million dollar tournament, the game is not even fully functional. Save it for Halo 5, if it works. 

ok i see. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

...No?

It won't work (Halo 5). Oh, I'm sure pro players will attend the tournys because $, but Halo will continue to have laughable viewership and the gameplay will be beyond boring and cringeworthy.

It'll be Halo 4 all over again, except worse gameplay, and even worse overall since it won't even be able to be blamed on not having enough bankroll or official support behind it.

I seriously cant believe people are comparing CoD to Halo.

Yeah, because Halo has totally not been ripping off CoD since Reach! Only thing unique about Halo is the art style and shields. Everything else has been bastardized

• Upvote (+1) 2

Should sell hcs shirts in Walmart to raise prize pool lol

I'll wait a day to get one at Salvation Army. Just like I'll wait a day to get a returned copy of H5.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I am just going to sit here and laugh that people think Halo DESERVES 500k/1m/anything close to CoD prize tournaments.  Sorry bro, but Halo is not bringing in real sponsors, not bringing in CoD level fans/viewers and not bringing much hype.  

I don't support 343 dumping money to a game/community that really doesn't seem to be going anywhere right now.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I still don't think 50k for a 4 month "season" is anywhere near bad. People keep comparing Halo to CoD (which is a much bigger eSport right now), and say we need upwards of 100k for a season final. The last season final for CoD was invite only and paid out 75k. Yes, CoD has Champs which is put on by Activision and its a $1m tournament, and yes I would love to reach that point, but we are 2 tournaments in to HCS right now. The biggest issue with HCS is the game, and the game is why we aren't getting viewers. Enormous amounts of downtime, games crashing, lack of maps, etc. The prize pool is not the reason we lack viewers.

I also understand as a pro Halo player, it probably sucks to see CoD tournaments paying out more, but that reality is that Halo is not in a position to be paying out more than it currently is. With a solid game as a foundation, good advertising, sponsors, etc viewership will rise, and in turn so will the Prize pools. For now, if you want to win Money in Halo you need to win, which is what teams should be aiming for anyway. In the meantime, keep pushing for the game to fixed, and if you really feel like 50k is too low, then keep pressing for more. Not showing up to tournaments isn't going to help fix either problem.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It was all rumors, there was the rumor there'd be two 500k finals, then one 1M tourney, but it's simple. Microsoft needs to see a reason to throw money like that at Halo, which is why there will probably be 2 50k finals then talks of prize pools like that may happen.

I just don't get why everyone is up in arms, 50k every 3-4 months is pretty damn close to what MLG has for CoD right now (taking away there special events) We've already had a 15k and a 24k tourney since HCS started. The whole "slave labor" shit is just annoying to read, you're playing a video game, it's not that hard.

(This doesn't count the pre-release tournaments)

I agree and disagree with this. A part of me agrees since these are basically the best(and major) tournaments we had so far since the MLG( Halo 3/ Reach?) era and it's good to see everyone back, I love and enjoy watching tournaments. But another part of me disagrees because the players do have the right to feel frustrated/disappointed with the pay pool because this is a 343i sponsored league/tournament, they are using community efforts to display their game/run a tournament for it and as far as I know, the payments are being done by the tournament organizers ?

As Saucey said, this  does not feel like a league and in my eyes it wont be until Halo MCC is fixed and 343i starts supporting even more(with cash prizes) this " Halo Championship Series". The slave labor...well...like  I said, these "community driven" organized tournaments are being used to display 343i  new game, I'll leave it there.

The prize pool is not the reason we lack viewers.

While the game is the main reason, the prize pool does have a big effect on viewers and that's not debatable.

343 gives money to the organizers to increase prize pool.

Almost 10k has been given to G4G

10k was given to UGC

and 5k was given to IG.

I disagreed with UGC's prize pool distribution, but that wasn't 343's idea, yes they should've said something, but UGC thought they had a cool idea.

I guess I just don't understand the big gripe, last year we had nothing, the year before that tournament winners made 850 dollars. Sure, I want Halo to have a million dollar championship, but we haven't done a damn thing to deserve that, yet. 

(Obviously not counting H4GC)

We need to stop going "WELL COD GETS BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Yeah, CoD gets 150k viewers on a bad day, CoD has players with almost a million twitter followers, you can't compare it.

People are let-down for Season 1 being 50k, I understand people expected more. There's more seasons, the rules are still being situated. 

Not ONCE have I talked to a person a part of HCS that thinks it's anywhere near perfect, but they want to make it that way.

So the whole "Boycott HCS" shit, yeah when we don't have tournaments after Season 2 we'll be bitching that even our devs leave us in the water like MLG did.

Well for one, COD getting 150k viewers is on a great day. You can see that by going to Sundance or Claps twitter as they were tweeting about how awesome yada yada it was having UMG hit 155k viewers. Next, you're right about the boycotting thing being dumb, the game is already basically boycotted by fans that's why tourneys are lucky to hit 15k viewers, and heck that might be a little high. But the pros should enjoy what they have this year and slightly going into 2015, because unless h5 is changed drastically, all viewers will be gone within a couple months of release and halo will be back where it was a year ago.

343 gives money to the organizers to increase prize pool.

Almost 10k has been given to G4G

10k was given to UGC

and 5k was given to IG.

I disagreed with UGC's prize pool distribution, but that wasn't 343's idea, yes they should've said something, but UGC thought they had a cool idea.

I guess I just don't understand the big gripe, last year we had nothing, the year before that tournament winners made 850 dollars. Sure, I want Halo to have a million dollar championship, but we haven't done a damn thing to deserve that, yet. 

(Obviously not counting H4GC)

We need to stop going "WELL COD GETS BLAH BLAH BLAH"

Yeah, CoD gets 150k viewers on a bad day, CoD has players with almost a million twitter followers, you can't compare it.

People are let-down for Season 1 being 50k, I understand people expected more. There's more seasons, the rules are still being situated. 

Not ONCE have I talked to a person a part of HCS that thinks it's anywhere near perfect, but they want to make it that way.

So the whole "Boycott HCS" shit, yeah when we don't have tournaments after Season 2 we'll be bitching that even our devs leave us in the water like MLG did.

I stand corrected, that being said, there are some things that need some serious attention and IMO, they should've taken care of already since all they could do is just look back at other game leagues and extract what works. But MAINLY what we need is a game that doesnt break every 1-2 games, I am doing my part watching every single tournament(even the online cups) and supporting the game I love. 343i needs to do their part to as I know that the Pro's are playing the crap out of this game to get good/better at it.

I stand corrected, that being said, there are some things that need some serious attention and IMO, they should've taken care of already since all they could do is just look back at other game leagues and extract what works. But MAINLY what we need is a game that doesnt break every 1-2 games, I am doing my part watching every single tournament(even the online cups) and supporting the game I love. 343i needs to do their part to as I know that the Pro's are playing the crap out of this game to get good/better at it.

I totally agree, but HCS is a completely different group of 343 employees. So going off on HCS itself isn't the right way to do it, IMO 

I don't know, I understand the frustration, but I think that it is being blown out of proportion.

• Upvote (+1) 4