CyReN

Halo Championship Series Season 1 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Nobody ever makes it to 250.

They did before the time limit was changed from 15 min to 12 min.  Before long we'll only be playing 60 second KOTH games.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Changes are so-so, on the professional level I don't think anyone is happy or unhappy, we're just excited for the events coming up.

I'm still waiting for static weapon spawns.  It's possible.  Just do it!

Why, either way is fine for me, I'm not sure what the fuss is about in either direction.

I feel like taking bomb out was the wrong decision, all that needed to be done was make throwing bomb off map illegal to fix the imbalance. Now we have 5 gametypes on warlord which could potentially lead to 3 warlord gametypes in a series. I also believe Sanc bomb was one of the best gametypes. A team needed to be completely in control to plant a bomb, so the better team usually wins. The fact these changes are being made a week before a big event is unfortunate to me. Especially during the holidays when players are with family.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I feel like taking bomb out was the wrong decision, all that needed to be done was make throwing bomb off map illegal to fix the imbalance. Now we have 5 gametypes on warlord which could potentially lead to 3 warlord gametypes in a series. I also believe Sanc bomb was one of the best gametypes. A team needed to be completely in control to plant a bomb, so the better team usually wins. The fact these changes are being made a week before a big event is unfortunate to me. Especially during the holidays when players are with family.

I'm not sure if Shrine Bomb has been ruled out from the event yet...

I'm not sure if Shrine Bomb has been ruled out from the event yet...

I would think ESL or 343i would enforce it since it's a sanctioned event.

Either way, I don't get why they tested gametypes on Christmas Eve then add them a day before an online tournament, while not even promoting the changes on their twitter account. You have a MONTH OFF between online tournaments, use it for testing and feedback. Shoehorning it in is illogical.

Removing a gametype due to issues is fine, whatever. But introducing a gametype that may even be broken (throwing on Lockdown...) is just ridiculous.

Reality Check to take -1th Place in Cup 3

They took out bomb because they don't have the man power to create and enforce rules for online cups and they don't want to make it confusing for the non die hards who don't check up on the rules/news every day. They also did not want to have this problem in the playlist but that was a minor inconvenience, not influencing them THAT much in the decision.

They are working on creating a different way for bomb on sanc but that's all I heard.

Honestly, if more pros were to put in time to help test out gametypes then we wouldn't have the problem of 343 putting in bad ones. If you didn't try to help in the decision you can't complain about it.

With all of this said, the better team will still come out on top in the series to come and as long as we stick together as a community and accept whatever 343 throws at us and use this to become something amazing we will all profit :)

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly, if more pros were to put in time to help test out gametypes then we wouldn't have the problem of 343 putting in bad ones. If you didn't try to help in the decision you can't complain about it.

I agree with everything you said, ESL doesn't have the man power. Simple. But didn't George Carlin prove this wrong years ago?

Have you asked other pros to help test settings? I would assume they'd listen to pros over the average joes from the community.

I think they said it was only temporarily, I enjoyed all sanc bombs  I saw in the last tournament.

Not a pro but the only time I saw testing advertised is on Christmas Eve, and if you're really gonna say someone has no right to complain about settings changes made based off testing on a day the majority of the country spends with their family, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree.  Either the testing needs to be better advertised, or they need to hold it at better times.

I'm not upset with the removal of Sanc Bomb, but I've already heard people saying that holding the oddball (especially on Warlord) seems to cause frame rate drops (probably because the ball has a permanent flaming visual effect) which causes problems when playing at the top level.  Things like that don't get to be tested if the method of testing is to run through everything in a few hours in one night to find out if there are any serious problems that may arise.

Completely my own opinion here, not voicing anything for the sake of my team: Short notice changes are bad; they don't give ample opportunity to prepare for what's to come and adjust to the way they affect the flow of the game or a series.  Coupled with the fact that most people didn't even know what was being tested until a few days ago, the teams going into Sunday are going to be blindsided (and I wouldn't be surprised if a few teams in early rounds end up running the wrong version of HCS Lockdown / HCS Warlord without the adjusted spawns due to not even knowing about the changes).

If I recall correctly, every MLG event had the settings finalized by or within a week of the pro team's roster lock, giving them roughly a month with whatever version of gametypes were to be played at the next major tournament.  So, while the weekly Cups can't exactly have ample notice without interference, they could at least give more than a week's notice before a major offline event.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Although Christmas eve was the only night they tested it with us, no pro has been willing to give anything other than the 9 game types a shot as it is wasting their time. Ball on Lockout has been thought about and rumored since the game has been released but pros don't care and only want to practice game types that they know they will be playing at the event. While I don't think this is an awful mentality, I think everyone can agree that if you didn't try to help test game types, you can't complain about what they picked.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Snipedown winning MVP was a joke. Why were people allowed to vote before the grand finals had finished?

MVP should always be from the winning team to be fair.

WE shouldn't be able to vote anyways. It will always go to the Ninjas/Snip3downs/Olas of the community no matter if there performance was sub-par or not. It needs to be done internally based on stats, and everything taken into consideration. MVP kind of means best player, and if we're just giving it to people like Snip3down, because everyone likes him than it kind of defeats the meaning of MVP.

Although Christmas eve was the only night they tested it with us, no pro has been willing to give anything other than the 9 game types a shot as it is wasting their time. Ball on Lockout has been thought about and rumored since the game has been released but pros don't care and only want to practice game types that they know they will be playing at the event. While I don't think this is an awful mentality, I think everyone can agree that if you didn't try to help test game types, you can't complain about what they picked.

There's a reason I headed up organized test sessions back in the MLG Halo Reach days.  Sure, those ended up not being with pros (since pros could never be assed to actually help), but they were with people who could at least articulate their thoughts on the subject.

Part of it was to ensure those who wanted their feedback put in on settings (whether pro or just passionate random like myself) would have the opportunity.  Since Killa KC was, at the time, only recruiting testers through "first come, first serve" Twitter posts, a lot of people would be left out and others would just not be online during his limited testing windows.  He'd also added at that point that in order for your feedback to be weighed, you had to include Bungie game links to show you'd played the game...so having additional test times beyond his own gave more players opportunities to meet that criteria.

Standardizing test times gives more opportunities to participate.

Personally, I think the best method to use to test would be to grab two pro teams and say, "Here, download these gametypes, and scrim+stream them so we can see how it works and hear your feedback in real time."

• Upvote (+1) 2

Personally, I think the best method to use to test would be to grab two pro teams and say, "Here, download these gametypes, and scrim+stream them so we can see how it works and hear your feedback in real time."

That's the best method for everyone but the people who are doing it to use :/

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can't they just go into forge and block off one of the play sites?

Sure, but that needs extensive testing to ensure players can't get behind the walls. There's also a chance of the ball still being able to get thrown over, or if it can get thrown over - make sure it resets instantly. There's an on-disc map called Sanctuary Anniversary which has a few walls blocking the spots were blue team throws the bomb and they aren't perfect. The bomb can still get stuck behind it, people can throw it over the walls, etc.

Got to ensure the new walls don't cause any framerate issues too. 

Changes are so-so, on the professional level I don't think anyone is happy or unhappy, we're just excited for the events coming up.

Why, either way is fine for me, I'm not sure what the fuss is about in either direction.

Static weapon spawns make the game less random. The gameplay becomes repetitive and cyclical. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Kinda surprised you don't know why H2's weapon spawn system is bad. Among many other reasons, it would help immensely with standoffs on Lockdown Slayer. I think all players should know when power weapons are spawning. It's fair and it improves map flow. The two systems are not even close in my mind.

• Upvote (+1) 3