CyReN

Iron Games Columbus Discussion

Question - Since the Xbox One is required to connect to the internet, does it create any sort of relevant host advantage? I'm pretty sure I heard the casters mentioning Naded's host earlier in the tournament.

Its as though we cant complete one series w/o some technical stuff. Feeling for the referees/tech people...man

During the downtime, let's discuss a very important topic: who has better hair, Mikwen or Pistola? :kappa:

During the downtime, let's discuss a very important topic: who has better hair, Mikwen or Pistola? :kappa:

Mikwen, no contest

• Upvote (+1) 1

Question - Since the Xbox One is required to connect to the internet, does it create any sort of relevant host advantage? I'm pretty sure I heard the casters mentioning Naded's host earlier in the tournament.

Host advantage has been a thing in every Halo. Or really -- in every console FPS ever played.

I didn't think anything could beat out the superbowl for advert to gameplay time...

This tournament has 343 written all over it. Seriously. You could put 343 in charge of North Korea and they'd still do a worse job than Kim Jong-un.

• Upvote (+1) 4

LAN play is not really a priority for these consoles.

look at the larger picture. very few people LAN

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Xbox One requires that the modem or switch that connects all the consoles together has a "modest" internet connection, so that the consoles can "ping" XBL. Despite this requirement, the games are still played on LAN. Even though the games are played on LAN, one of the players in the match has to host the game, which gives that player a slight advantage over all the other players, so that is what you heard the casters talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Host advantage has been a thing in every Halo. Or really -- in every console FPS ever played.

Should have mentioned this in my post, but I was referring to host advantage during LAN events. Unless you realized that and meant that all Halo games have host advantages on LAN, in which case that's fairly surprising. I thought that was only CE because of the way XBC worked.

I forsee HCS turning into an online only tourney series.

Gamebattles 2.0

The amount of downtime versus actual gameplay is just brutal.  It cant be like this every event and think it will remain sustainable.

It's not a console issue. XBone supports System Link.

The Developer (343) elected not to support LAN functionality despite hosting a series of competitive gaming tournaments in a LAN setting using their game.

It makes zero fucking sense. Zero.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The Xbox One requires that the modem or switch that connects all the consoles together has a "modest" internet connection, so that the consoles can "ping" XBL. Despite this requirement, the games are still played on LAN. Even though the games are played on LAN, one of the players in the match has to host the game, so that is what you heard the casters talking about.

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks!

The Developer (343) elected not to support LAN functionality despite hosting a series of competitive gaming tournaments in a LAN setting using their game.

Well here's hoping it's implemented sometime during this game's lifespan and included at the start of H5. Otherwise the fan base will be even less sustainable.

Hey man, there's no need to join the legions of brainwashed kids blindly defending the huge ultra-mega corporations... the same ones that have zero clue you even exist, and wouldn't care if they did.

Consoles are supposed to be a convenient gaming experience for anyone who prefers a dedicated machine with basically no setup involved. They are supposed to offer practically all the features that conventional PC gaming offers - after all, you're paying a premium for a dedicated device. Instead, consoles are getting lazier and worse with every iteration as the companies cut back on innovation and seek to increase their profit margin.

LAN is such a basic thing. It's been around forever. It may not be used as commonly, thanks to the internet, but that's not a good reason to not support it well. We shouldn't be making excuses for the worrying trend of features being cut back. LAN, splitscreen, open betas... the video games industry isn't the greatest right now. Riding the cold, indifferent dicks of these companies is not helping the problem at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Should have mentioned this in my post, but I was referring to host advantage during LAN events. Unless you realized that and meant that all Halo games have host advantages on LAN, in which case that's fairly surprising. I thought that was only CE because of the way XBC worked.

Again. Host advantage has been a thing Online or on LAN in every console FPS ever played.

Hey man, there's no need to join the legions of brainwashed kids blindly defending the huge ultra-mega corporations... the same ones that have zero clue you even exist, and wouldn't care if they did.

Consoles are supposed to be a convenient gaming experience for anyone who prefers a dedicated machine with basically no setup involved. They are supposed to offer practically all the features that conventional PC gaming offers - after all, you're paying a premium for a dedicated device. Instead, consoles are getting lazier and worse with every iteration as the companies cut back on innovation and seek to increase their profit margin.

LAN is such a basic thing. It's been around forever. It may not be used as commonly, thanks to the internet, but that's not a good reason to not support it well. We shouldn't be making excuses for the worrying trend of features being cut back. LAN, splitscreen, open betas... the video games industry isn't the greatest right now. Riding the cold, indifferent dicks of these companies is not helping the problem at all.

That was the complete wrong way to approach what he said. Looking at why these issues exist doesn't turn you into some kind of dick rider for big money corporations. Being a dick to him for posting what he did was completely unnecessary. 

Allowing yourself to see why this issue exists is something adults do. At no point did he ride of MS or any other company that has created a similar problem. 

He just pointed out something that is incredibly true. LANs don't really happen anymore, so it was probably on the back end of their priority list if you like it or not. Easily could be a fixable or patchable thing going forward and as they notice the need they will hopefully take the steps to correct it. 

At the very least making the steps easier to use their system in this setting. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

not true in the slightest 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well here's hoping it's implemented sometime during this game's lifespan and included at the start of H5. Otherwise the fan base will be even less sustainable.

They cant even give us a funtioning game - as much as I wish LAN was supported, if they cant even figure out how to get 4v4 to work - LAN will never happen.

So? It's not like putting a basic function that has been around for 13 years would take a lot of time or resources. The XB1 is just a piece of shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That was the complete wrong way to approach what he said. Looking at why these issues exist doesn't turn you into some kind of dick rider for big money corporations. Being a dick to him for posting what he did was completely unnecessary. 

Allowing yourself to see why this issue exists is something adults do. At no point did he ride of MS or any other company that has created a similar problem. 

He just pointed out something that is incredibly true. LANs don't really happen anymore, so it was probably on the back end of their priority list if you like it or not. Easily could be a fixable or patchable thing going forward and as they notice the need they will hopefully take the steps to correct it. 

At the very least making the steps easier to use their system in this setting. 

Say what you will, but the current atmosphere in the gaming industry is terrible, IMO, and the people making excuses (acting apathetic towards failures counts in my eyes) for this climate are not helping.