LookPinkTHREE

Should the Halo Championship Series be LAN only?

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should HCS Be LAN Only Events?

• Yes
    • No
    • Does Not Matter

With the announcement of the Halo Championship Series supported by 343, there will be

" officially sanctioned tournaments (LAN and online) that will award HCS points to the top teams" all leading to a Season Finals event for those teams with the highest accumulated points throughout the seasson. 

With the UGC tournament in January and now Iron Gaming tournament next month both being HCS Sanctioned events, do you think it would be best to hold LAN only events to accumulate points? 

If one Tournament Organizer can throw an event every month it would be similar to how seasons were back in the day with MLG. One LAN event per month would be great. 

Master Chief Collection doesn't have dedicated servers for custom games so it would be really frustrating in my opinion competing in the online tournaments. Unless that is specifically what the "eSports" playlist will be for, to arrange dedicated servers for the online tournaments. Online tournaments should be worth a fraction of the points of what LAN tournaments offer in my opinion. All speculation of course. 

What are your thoughts? Should HCS be LAN only events? Why or why not?

• Upvote (+1) 1

They already stated that point values would differ based on online play vs LAN, including difficulty of the event. The more ways players have to compete and be apart of the community, the bigger the community can become.

"Chou stresses that the bigger events will offer more points to competitors based on their spectacle and scope than the more regular online events. But for teams without travel budgets to attend physical tournaments, progress can be made online"

"Dudynsky explains that there are people internally at 343i working to determine this "economy," and that Halo 2: Anniversary is being used in part as a test bed for the full season plans for Halo 5. "Points are an actual representation of how difficult the tournament was, and how you did relative to all competitors." Attendance will also play a role."

source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/5/7160695/halo-gets-serious-about-esports-with-the-halo-championship-series 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you want new players to emerge that cannot attend events and make this something "attainable" in which every person playing thinks they have some type of chance so they get into competitive then no.

Not everybody can make it out to an offline event. Plus, if someone competes in an offline event and does well, they may go to an offline event because they have some points. As long as offline events offer more points, which they will, it should be fine.

LAN should matter most, which is what HCS has already made clear.  However, the biggest reasons it was so hard to break into the scene back in the day was how expensive it was to travel to compete.  The barrier for entry must be lowered so the scene can thrive.  Online events should make going pro attainable, but doesn't negate attending LAN events.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe online HCS games will be on dedicated servers. We don't know yet. They def should be if it's possible.

Online + LAN. Imagine some team being sick online winning online tournies vs big name LAN teams, then getting sponsored to a LAN. Thats the type of stuff we need.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Interesting concept with the point totals being less for online. It still wont help the UK teams because host will be a huge factor whether its for or against them

Online + LAN. Imagine some team being sick online winning online tournies vs big name LAN teams, then getting sponsored to a LAN. Thats the type of stuff we need.

This is pretty much my thoughts on it.

For many of us, winning or obtaining a sponsor/paid trip through online ladders and tournaments, is the only way for us to travel to compete. 

Then there's people like my self who because of reasons outside our control, cannot travel the distances required to compete at all the events. So online events is are only chance at competing. Call me an online warrior if you want, but i want to compete against good people, and i can't travel (yet...)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree with the majority here. You've brought up some excellent points. 

Online tournaments are great for the community for those who can't travel and those who are yet to make a name for themselves. 

I also believe the decision to make LAN events worth more points is the correct is one. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Not everybody can make it out to an offline event. Plus, if someone competes in an offline event and does well, they may go to an offline event because they have some points. As long as offline events offer more points, which they will, it should be fine.

Never seemed to be a problem when people were playing @ MLG back in the day.  If you were good, you traveled to the offline tournament.  If not, you stayed home.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Never seemed to be a problem when people were playing @ MLG back in the day.  If you were good, you traveled to the offline tournament.  If not, you stayed home.

So people from across the other side of the world are simply told to shell out 2000-3000+ for a ticket or stay home?

Why would we do that if we want Halo to be a big esport.

So people from across the other side of the world are simply told to shell out 2000-3000+ for a ticket or stay home?

Why would we do that if we want Halo to be a big esport.

Didn't seem to be a problem for players from Poland like FiL4 & Flaha back in the day.....

But I see your point.  Maybe it's time to take a different approach as you suggest.

Didn't seem to be a problem for players from Poland like FiL4 & Flaha back in the day.....

But I see your point.  Maybe it's time to take a different approach as you suggest.

For some, money isn't an issue. But, if we want Halo to grow more as a global esport, we can't have this mindset that LAN events should be it and if you can't afford to travel then tough shit.

With online events, you not only give all players the chance to compete, regardless of their financial status, but you also grow the scene because of how accessible it will be and more players will be willing to enter the tournaments.

You also need to remember that plane tickets are far more expensive these days than they used to be 5-10 years ago.

seeing as there are not dedicated servers in customs, yes it should only be lan

Bingo.  Go play reach right now and you will see that you have players from USA, Mexico, and Columbia all in the same game.  Makes for a great lag fest.  Wouldn't want to keep the same regional players matched up in the same gametype.... that would make too much sense and "split" the player base up too much...

Yeah it'll blow playing against kids with internet from 1998 but its nice to have something to engage the entire audience of the competitive scene with. If we're lucky maybe they'll setup something like gamebattles except integrate it into a MM playlist and auto record wins/losses. No idea how they'd restrict it to full set teams though

No. Online qualifiers help players who aren't really as known to get their name out there and allows them to show up at an event without necessarily getting 1st rounded due to not having a powerhouse team to play with.

It would be cool if 343 found a way to have online tournaments on dedicated servers though.

Also, in the past, some people who placed high during online qualifiers also had their flight paid for by 343 to show up at a LAN so that can also be cool.

Without dedicated servers for custom games, they're just begging for people to bridge for host and engage in other shenanigans.

in addition, why would you if you have dedicated servers for matchmaking

LAN is so different from online -- people that don't have LAN experience will almost certainly need to get some before they can stand up to big name teams in person. Playing at a LAN is very different emotionally than playing from your own home. You can't mute your opponents' trash talk on LAN. There's no crowd standing up, booing, or cheering in your peripheral vision. LAN takes cajones, or at least experience.

LAN events should give you far more points then online ones, but I do think it's good they have online events. Brings in more revenue that they can use for the LAN events and it brings more viewership